Am I the only one who wants a documents copy

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

is anyone else as curious as I am as to what thought process and how said progress went and goes towards engineer changes and the profession as a whole?

screw the unjustified nerfs Im more interested into knowing how the heck does someone get to those conclusions in first place

in Engineer

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

I agree. I just want to understand the thinking behind the changes they’re making. Anet would probably save themselves alot of abuse if they would explain why some of the changes in their balance patches were made.
The vague “We wanted to improve DPS” lines are clearly meaningless and don’t match the reality of the changes. The same can be said across most forums.

If instead they gave people a decent idea of why the changes were made, we wouldn’t have so many forum-goers exploding with rage and others struggling desperately to understand what anet are aiming for, being labelled as “white-knights” etc. The forums would be a better place. That is assuming that the changes would make sense with more information.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

It would be interesting knowing the logic for pretty much all the changes since nothing makes any sense. Things that got buffed or nerfed that no one complained about yet things that are blatantly OP and unbalanced get completely overlooked.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

id want it, but prolly for a different reason than you, op. im not on a witch hunt for an explanation as to why things are the way they are, id merely want to see it for its value in predicting, requesting, and influencing the next balance patch changes.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Przemyslaw.5891

Przemyslaw.5891

What documents? What logic? Guys dont you see that they r doing just random stuff here and some there, like a lottery, thats all.

in Engineer

Posted by: Samug.6512

Samug.6512

Yup, kinda looks like it. They probably didn’t even check skill names.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Maybe, just maybe, Engie changes are like a rolling joke inside Anet devs group.

“Ok guys, what funny thing could we do to Engies this time?”
“I don’t know, lets make gyros don’t daze, so Impact savant becomes even worst?”
“Nah, too complicated. Lets keep it simple: they asked us to take damage out of Rocket Boots? Lets buff it’s damage instead!”
“Wow, genius. You know what, I’m going to do both, what do you think?”
“No way! That’s hilarious! Its almost as silly as nerfing gear shield out of thin air.”
“Nice, we’ll do that too.”
“….. AMAZING! HAHAHAHA!”

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

Im not on a witch hunt so to speak its just this change has been the stupidest by far and makes no sense , wich makes me think back and remember how it seems 98% of engineer changes have been barely any diferent

so I genuinely want to see how this game’s dev’s design meetings and such go.

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

people in the pvp community have been complaining about random af cc spam since hot. gyros were part of the problem.

they over buffed toolkit, but it was still out of the (pvp) meta cuz inventions with a bunch of gyros was still better than tools with kits that just don’t do as much as hammer.

but it doesn’t explain rocket boots.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

people in the pvp community have been complaining about random af cc spam since hot. gyros were part of the problem.

they over buffed toolkit, but it was still out of the (pvp) meta cuz inventions with a bunch of gyros was still better than tools with kits that just don’t do as much as hammer.

yet there’s no problem with DH traps having Dazes , while dealing massive damage and granting 10+s of fury+10 stacks of might

yet theres no problem with druid’s being able to spam dazes+ heals

mesmers fart dazes as auto attacks , they have a whole traitline around it

this is clear favoritism

rocket boots was a nice addition tho , it does up to 3k damage so my enemies have to think twice before chasing me, they should ve just changed rocket boots and made it into a charge so it doesnt do the stupid pause on landing

(edited by Rezzet.3614)

in Engineer

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

yet there’s no problem with DH traps having Dazes , while dealing massive damage and granting 10+s of fury+10 stacks of might

this is clear favoritism

rocket boots was a nice addition tho , it does up to 3k damage so my enemies have to think twice before chasing me, they should ve just changed rocket boots and made it into a charge so it doesnt do the stupid pause on landing

Have to disagree with you on rocket boots. Your figure of 3k is extremely spurrious. The base damage of RB post patch is slightly more than a single Auto attack. That’s all. That you can get it up to 3k under the right circumstances, doesn’t make it strong or useful and changes nothing.

A single weak blast, which takes you away from combat does nothing for your dps and provides your opponent plenty of time to heal up and give chase. Given that the damage increase was supposedly made to restore lost DPS, this is a complete failure since using RB ends your rotation.

The damage portion also prevents comboing the skill into fields for stealth escapes and puts you in combat when using it for mobility. Engi’s have been arguing for years to have the damage removed entirely since it serves no useful purpose and inhibits options. Minor damage to an enemy as you try to get away, why? How does it help anything? The damage could have been placed on literally any other skill in Engi’s aresenal and would have been of at least as much or greater use. Engi has plenty of weapon and kits skills which are in desperate need of damage increase and bug-fixes. RB was the most bizarre answer to the problem anyone could possibly have imagined.

I also disagree on favoritism. The problem is that they have no idea how to fix the cluster-kitten they created in certain classes’ design. While other classes they pretty much got right from launch day. Those classes do well and appear to be favorites, because Anet would struggle to botch them at this point.

Agreed on the rest though.

in Engineer

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

Considering all the hate they get on their boards many of these posts are absolutely fantastic. The level of precision and concise in expressing game dynamics and your own thought process is beyond what I would have hoped for from such a document the OP asks for.

You people couldn’t put these issues any more clearly and yet you get constantly passed over. Really makes you wonder why. There is no way they are not aware of what is going on.

I think such a document would simply read:
“You people all play a totally different game than we do. It’s the wrong one – suck it up.” (the TL:DR at least)

… that’s why they’re not doing them I’m sure :P

(edited by Escadin.9482)

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

this is clear favoritism

my opinion is that dh, and prolly mesmer, druid, and warrior also have too much cc spam… :P

and also i disagree with the direction they took rocket boots lol

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

What documents? What logic? Guys dont you see that they r doing just random stuff here and some there, like a lottery, thats all.

Yeah but I wanna see what was on the other squares that got missed by the darts.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

this is clear favoritism

my opinion is that dh, and prolly mesmer, druid, and warrior also have too much cc spam… :P

and also i disagree with the direction they took rocket boots lol

after trying wvw seriously i found rocket boots got me killed too many times vs slick shoes :L , that stop at the end really kills the whole escape from the escape skill

they should ve given it a 0.25-1s evade because it is stupid to just remove an immobilize only to be stop midair with another immobilize stack

in Engineer

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

Sometimes I don’t even want to use it because I know it will lock me into a 1 second animation where I’m guaranteed to take damage + cc, and I’ll take more from that than from being immob’d and popping gear shield (RIP), then trying to dodge out.

Just sayin’.. if Rocket Boots had been designed for HoT, it’d break stun, grant might, evade the entire time, and bake me cupcakes.

It’s also barely faster than running if you include the stop at the end. It ought to help you catch up to a thief chaining shortbow teleports, or a druid using staff 3, or a nike warrior.. etc. I mean, I’m not sure if that’s its “purpose”, but if we’re thinking about buffs it should have (instead of damage), I think more distance + more speed would help.

(edited by coro.3176)

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

Just sayin’.. if Rocket Boots had been designed for HoT, it’d break stun, grant might, evade the entire time, and bake me cupcakes.

too true, and would use for cupcakes

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

Sometimes I don’t even want to use it because I know it will lock me into a 1 second animation where I’m guaranteed to take damage + cc, and I’ll take more from that than from being immob’d and popping gear shield (RIP), then trying to dodge out.

It’s also barely faster than running if you include the stop at the end. It ought to help you catch up to a thief chaining shortbow teleports, or a druid using staff 3, or a nike warrior.. etc. I mean, I’m not sure if that’s its “purpose”, but if we’re thinking about buffs it should have (instead of damage), I think more distance + more speed would help.

they wont do this because of the stupid gadget overcharge trait giving rocket boots 1200 range , so at least they should remove the pause at the end , so it actually creates or closes gaps

in Engineer

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

Why not? I don’t like that gadget trait, but it’s not like it’d give engi any more mobility than thief, druid, warrior already have. Druid staff 3 is 1200 range, heals at the end, and evades the whole time. Thief can cover like 5000 units of range in teleports, dodges, and blinks in a few seconds.

The least they could do is give engi (which only as 1 weapon, remember, so our skills slots are really valuable) evades and a stunbreak on a skill clearly designed for escape and pursuit. They need to make it a viable alternative to something like elixir gun.

in Engineer

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Rocket boots used to be 1200 range and affected by swiftness and supperspeed.
That made engineers really good at going where they were not supposed to. It was even better than RtL from Eles.
They nerfed so we couldnt reach out of boundaries…

Then they added gliding and we got nothing back…

It was a stun break.
The only nice thing of it is that is a blast finisher and removes movement impairing condis. So you can use on a smoke field to run away in stealth.
This tactic used to be a stapler on the old wvw bomb builds

(edited by lLobo.7960)

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

Why not? I don’t like that gadget trait, but it’s not like it’d give engi any more mobility than thief, druid, warrior already have. Druid staff 3 is 1200 range, heals at the end, and evades the whole time. Thief can cover like 5000 units of range in teleports, dodges, and blinks in a few seconds.

The least they could do is give engi (which only as 1 weapon, remember, so our skills slots are really valuable) evades and a stunbreak on a skill clearly designed for escape and pursuit. They need to make it a viable alternative to something like elixir gun.

i whole heartedly agree with engi needing more mobility
unfortunetly it seems anet wants engi to be clunky because of the jack of all trades master of none thing (wich is bullkitten when ele has the same design but better)

in Engineer

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

unfortunetly it seems anet wants engi to be clunky because of the jack of all trades master of none thing (wich is bullkitten when ele has the same design but better)

Ele might be less clunky, but they have their own issues, so I wouldn’t go comparing them if I were you.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

Ele might be less clunky, but they have their own issues, so I wouldn’t go comparing them if I were you.

they are still in a better place with more versatility