Any forgiving engi builds..?

in Engineer

Posted by: Mishirumm.5701

Mishirumm.5701

I’m trying to learn how to sPvP with an engi, and so far I have found it pretty difficult. Are there any forgiving engi builds that will let me learn how to use engis better? I just feel overwhelmed by all of the utility and kits they have. Obviously the only thing to fix my problem completely is practice, but I just want to see if there’s a way to make the learning curve a tad bit easier to climb. Any help at all would be appreciated thanks (:

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Sure, let me clunk something together for you.
It will be edited into this post.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

Watch http://www.twitch.tv/ostricheggs/profile/pastBroadcasts
Best engi stream.

Chaithh is not playing anymore but this stream was also awesome. I liked the explosions

Of course make sure you do not miss No1 Engi NA and first rank 80 stream:
http://www.twitch.tv/livskis/

in Engineer

Posted by: Renny.6571

Renny.6571

Turret Engi. You unbind everything except your utilities and elite. Just stand still you will win. 100% guarantee.

elite specs ruined pvp.

in Engineer

Lupanic.6502

Turret Engi. You unbind everything except your utilities and elite. Just stand still you will win. 100% guarantee.

go away troll

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

@Lupanic, I don’t think that was a troll.

Also, since my I-net provider went bogus for the last 5h I could not post it sooner.

The bunker turreteer
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelUUpyqVVx2KseNCdBF6VklXI6h0wR/pAA-TJxFwAWLDYc/BHPAAAnAAA
Place your rocket-turret far off point so enemies can’t clear it that fast, spam your pistol-skills and use the shield situational. #4 reflects projectiles and can be an aerial knockback, #5 stuns and blocks in melee-range and if triggered twice you throw it like a boomerang and daze/ interrupt people. Generally nice support-ability from your heals and permanent boon-buffage via turrets.

The more annoying bunker-turreteer
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqalUUpyq1WxPLseNiaBF6f0mAI6rEyb/pIA-TJBBABA8AA67EAAWZgB3fAA
Bombs will heal you and allies so keep cycling through these skills. Again, place rocket-turret off point and use the thumper as protection-beacon. Pistol #5 is a nice immobilize / cripple that is the perfect setup for a BoB / BK #5 / BK #3 combo. This build generally gives nice group-support and is a kitten good aoe-cc spamer.

The troll-rezzer. [Attention, good timing, high APM required.]
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqenUISFWWyFubBrXIpugG5T6SIH4IAVAEZCHCA-TJBBwAAOBAReAAC3fAcZAA
Nice cc’s, awesome mobility, 90% uptime for vigor – and the best is – practically immortal, requires some timing tough.
Basically, if you reach 25% life, your healing skill AND your Toolbelt gets reseted every 90sec.
And for maximum exploitation, you have A.E.D. that will give you one giant burst-heal if being deadly struck while it’s active (timing is the key, else you get a regular heal, thx to all the healing-power you have). Once you reach 25% after this, its tremendous long cd is instantly reseted and you trigger it again.
Should your enemy still burst you, wait for around 10% health and drop Elixir R belt-ability. If you go into downstate within it, you rezz yourself almost immediately. Once you reach 25% health again, it gets reseted and you drop it again at 10% health. If you combine that with all the dodges you have (drink elixir R / use EG #2 to trigger vigor), the block from Toolkit, the passively ticking heals, and the fact that A.E.D should be off cd by then, you have a multitude of life-bars that will reset frequently.
I had other people raging at me several times while running this. Once even kept a whole team busy with this build. And it is awesome point-support to keep your peeps alive^^

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, retired #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Try this build out! It’s a very defensive version of the typical condi Engi build!
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelUUp+qlcxELseNCbBNqxI6N2xq85DEgkC-TJhHwAU2fAwJAAZZgAPAAA

Here are some tips for you my frand!

You have a lot of blocks! I usually always block when I get immobilized! It’s also a good way to disengage if you get focused!

Pistol auto attack is weak, but it’s a very reliable way to get Incendiary Powder off! In a 1v1 situation at longer ranges, it’s better to use pistol auto to get Incendiary Powder off while you’re closing the gap!

A nice combo to use is Tool Kit Magnet > Prybar > Swap to Grenades to proc Geomancy and use Shrapnel Grenade! If the stars aligned, that’s like 3-5k damage, 6 bleeds minimum, 5 stacks of confusion, and 7 seconds of burning all at once!

Best of luck to you! Wahoo! Bye frands!

PS Don’t run turret Engineer! It’s just a useless build!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

PS run turret builds if you want to bunker a point.
easy to learn and currently pretty OP for other classes, therefore the fastest success-experience you can get. There are other good bunker-builds out there, but most of them lack the group-support and almost all of them lack the dps to get a attacker down in reasonable time. Thats why engi never really was a good choice as bunker in the team-comp.

Look into the builds above, posted by me.
The first one is one of the official turret-spammer builds and has obvious weaknesses, especially when trying to survive situations that your turrets got destroyed in. But the second one compensates these issues without loosing anything in terms of survivability, support and dps. Also it requires slightly more skill, since you have to time your cc’s and immobilizes well, to get your bombs on target and keep the pressure up. the perfect starter build to train your movement.
The 3rd build is a really apm-heavy one, requiring you to read up on your skills and get an eye for their timing. You start to incorporate hidden timers into your thinking and plan your moves 5sec ahead to control the area effectively. combine that with the fast paced movement you’ve learned from the previous build and you are on a good way to become a decent player that crafts the builds of his liking to reach maximum efficiency as a player.
start with a reliable build like turreteer, to have something to go back to, in case you get frustrated, but reach for more complex builds whenever you can.

in Engineer

Lupanic.6502

@Lupanic, I don’t think that was a troll.

it is a troll post. To post that you can remove all the stuff but use turrets and go afk is simply not true. I play my own turret build as well. I know how good it is but is not an free win against good players. But it is the one of the best builds we have at the moment.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

I don’t want to derail this thread but I can’t in good conscience let a new player get it into his head that he could run full turrets and succeed against competent players!

First turret Engis are not and can never be bunkers! They have 0 stability and their one single stunbreak can only be used if they sacrifice their Protection uptime and 2 of their knockbacks! Gee whiz that doesn’t sound very good! They can be mediocre home point watchers but the way turret Engis play is to set up shop on a point and stay! Having someone idle at home for the entire game is already a pretty big handicap to the team!

They have no mobility to attack far point! They will just get intercepted and they can either take massive damage heading to the point or blow their extremely long cooldown utilities to try and fight, and when they fight they are limited to the range of their turrets! Because of this they can never skirmish with anyone off point and again have no mobility to get to a point if and when they die! And you will die!

They could go mid but their turrets risk being destroyed very quickly in the clusterkitten of AoE spamming! Plus usually the only people on the point are people with Stability! This single boon renders the entire concept (knockbacks) of turret Engi useless and there are many forms of Stability with the plethora of Warriors and Elementalists around, plus Stand Your Ground from an actual bunker class! Also if turret Engis are focused they are goners! They have no way to mitigate anything or have any escapes. It’s a rough life!

OP, if you really wish to play turrets then go for it while you’re at a low rating! As you get better and face better people I’d seriously consider using a build that can actually do things! Unfortunately GW2’s PvP is so small that low rated players are often matched up with high level ones so I really can’t recommend anyone ever running a turret build!

Hope that helped! Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in Engineer

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Vee Wee is a wee off IMHO regarding his build. Still a frand, but with a name like Bombsaway, I have to suggest you drop the elixir and add bomb kit.

There is just so much you can do with bombs and grenades together in Spvp.
The elixir’s stealth can easily be mirrored with a smoke blast or two.
The shrink and run is generally not as good as the blinds (in pvp. In wvw, I like bombs for different reasons).

And few things beat pull, pry bar and concussion grenade combos. As they try to counter (assuming they don’t just run, whip out the pistol for more confusion fun.

Bomb kit works best if you drop shrapnel for bigger explosion radius too.

Bombs are more fun too. BOOOOOOOOM!

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

Thats the spirit^^

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Bombs are indeed great in PvP my frands! But if you were to modify my build to incorporate Bomb Kit, you’d swap out Tool Kit and not Elixir S! Unless you want to run without a stun break in this CC heavy meta! Engineers have a huge issue getting focused down! Elixir S is great for alleviating that pressure! Not taking Elixir S would be the opposite of a forgiving build!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

If you just wanna take it for the stunbreaker, rather go with slickshoes, elixier gun or googles.

Elixier S:
-no cast-time
-longest stunbreaker cd the engi has.
-offers invulnerability for 3sec, while also disabling you completely. Potentially deadly if conditions are still ticking on you.
-prevents you from holding a point when active.
-only actual use is when going for a stomp in the middle of the crowd, be it per shrink or using its BA for stealth.

Goggles:
-no cast-time
-low cd
-immunity against blind for 10sec, ensuring that every hit counts.
-gives access to 10sec fury
-applies 10 stacks of vulnerability, therefore supporting the group or just the own dps.

Slick-shoes:
-no cast-time
-medium Stunbreaker cd.
-delivers awesome cc, tough it’s on a long cd

EG:
-has a cast-time
-low stunbreaker-cd
-applies aoe regen.
-delivers all the nice treats you get from EG usually anyways.

elixir Stomp may help you in certain situations, depending on your build and play-style, but just for the purpose of stunbreaking its far inferior to the other options the engi has.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

I’m sorry but Elixir S and Elixir Gun are the only real stunbreak options the Engineer has! Goggles and Slick Shoes are just bad! The reason why Elixir S is so good is because it has many defensive uses! You can stealth a downed teammate getting stomped and then stealth revive! You can stealth away from a team fight to decap an unguarded point! You can stealth stomp! You can stealth run to a point and get a really strong opening attack on a defender! The invulnerability is great if your’e getting focused as opposed to other stunbreaks where they can still train you after you use it! You can invuln stomp! Often getting a stomp off determines the outcome of a teamfight! You can invuln revive your teammates! You get all of these with 1 utility! Golly gee willikers that’s pretty swell!

Elixir Gun has its merits too seeing as it’s a full kit that provides great utility for your team! Slick Shoes and Utility Goggles, however, are all poopypies! It’s all about getting the most bang for your buck and Utilities Goggles and Slick Shoes give no bang bang!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

Seems like you never really tried slickshoes out then.
Activate them when being stunned, drop mine/explode it to trigger their passive anti-cc / auto-stability traits, drop minefield and explode it, activate the shoes. No stability to save them.
3 seconds of self-inflicted invulnerability is inferior to up to 6 sec or aerial knockdown when it comes to effectively supporting your team. You now can go for whatever stomp you want, have up to 6sec to rezz, or simply bought 6sec of time for your cooldowns to come off.
elixir S has its uses for the stealth, but since that is provided by the smokefield we get from Bombkit and potentially elixir U, it’s just a mere compensation (since no blast-finisher is needed), but not an actual competition for other, better performing utilities in that slot.

Depending on the build You’d see me running with elixir S from time to time as well, simply because its stealth is that comfortable available, but when it comes to competitive gameplay, like duels, gvg, or tpvp I almost always pick slickshoes over elixir S.
No to mention what you can do with them + rocketboots when it comes to troll-zerging^^

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Chaithh is not playing anymore but this stream was also awesome. I liked the

I am still around after a brief hiatus and I’ll be really active with streaming this week!

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Engineer

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

PS run turret builds if you want to bunker a point.
easy to learn and currently pretty OP for other classes, therefore the fastest success-experience you can get.

This is not a good idea. Playing a build that you -let’s face it- don’t do very much with isn’t going to get OP the experience they are looking for.

People don’t say it enough.. but make your own build, pick the traits YOU want, and practice with them. Yes, you’ll probably be bad, and yes you’ll probably get heaps of abuse through chat. Though, that’s all part of the learning.
You won’t get good until you experience the bad.

If your Engi is a PvE character I’d suggest getting 80. I played a lot of PvP on my Ele (level 64) and I constantly got frustrated because I couldn’t do as good as I’d like to be doing. I finally made the push for 80 and ran some dungeons for a day or two. When you get a feel for cooldowns actually learn what each ability does (rather than having a rough idea), then you will start to progress.

In short, just practice.

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

The condition tank engineer builds are the most forgiving of all, and it can be calibrated to most of your tastes utility skill wise.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.