Are Engineers so bad at pve?

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

So there was a bit of talk about how effective engi is in the dungeon speed run and the suggested comp for Arah p2 is to let engi replace the thief and et cetera Arah path 2 Guangway

If you ignore the terribad mesmer, engi seems good except for:
- The stealth combo used for skipping has long cd and duration is really short.
- Their blast finisher is a finisher that can CC mob unintentionally.
- They are too slow at stacking vuln in a short fight.
- Their DPS isn’t on par with a second ele with conjured weapons.

Engi isn’t the greatest in PvE and had no place in the meta dungeon speedrun.

I would add that gadgets and turrets still are not on par with ele weapons and summons, that Turrets still die too quickly, that the pickup cooldowns are still not on part with ranger spirit cooldowns, and that many of them still have extremely high cooldowns for little effectiveness in comparison to the similar skills in other classes, even with the new traits.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

So there was a bit of talk about how effective engi is in the dungeon speed run and the suggested comp for Arah p2 is to let engi replace the thief and et cetera Arah path 2 Guangway

I would add that gadgets and turrets still are not on par with ele weapons and summons, that Turrets still die too quickly, that the pickup cooldowns are still not on part with ranger spirit cooldowns, and that many of them still have extremely high cooldowns for little effectiveness in comparison to the similar skills in other classes, even with the new traits.

That’s why you don’t use them, you use Elixir Gun or Mine Field or whatever.

- It’s fine for Arah P2, there’s no situation where they wouldn’t have been without it except the one point where their engie literally wasted the Smoke Bomb randomly right before the group actually needed it and went “OH LOOK MY SMOKE BOMB IS STILL ON COOLDOWN THIS CLASS SUCKS FOR STEALTH”.

- Don’t CC mobs with it then, that was also entirely his fault and of course he blamed it on the class too instead of his own being utterly stupid with the bomb drop. Might as well say warriors are a terrible class for speedruns because Fear Me CC’s mobs out of stacks too.

- Grenade Barrage > Mine Field > Jump Shot (or any other comparable combo) is an instant 15-20 stacks of vuln. Fights in this game can get pretty short with a good group but they don’t get THAT short.

- Again, you can’t FGS everything and even where you can it’s not necessarily better (or necessary) to have a second FGS. Moreover in this particular comp the engie is replacing the thief, not an ele. I was actually musing over whether a ranger was desirable in Arah P2 (I still think it’s okay since there’s only a couple bosses you can FGS in P2) but either way it’s the ranger that would be replacing the ele, not the engie. The ranger/ele choice is raw DPS while the engie/thief are necessary because you want the stealth, you’re not going to be just throwing in random eles and running 1W/3El/1G, it’d look like 1W/1G/1T/2El if anything.

Given how much they botched that particular run, I’m reasonably certain that a group that wasn’t actively out to make it fail could have shaved off at least 5-6 minutes if not more off the total time, which would have put them pretty close to the current record which I believe is around 11 minutes.

Lastly, keep in mind that we’re talking specifically about record-setting minmax groups, the average dungeon tour even for DnT etc. likely isn’t aiming for records, they’re just trying to get stuff done fast. When you’re not picking and choosing to scrape out 2-3% more total DPS is where engie flexibility and DPS becomes really good since having an engie alone basically covers, like, half the party’s bases by default.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Since I just got it ready – I’m gonna leave this here:

(Rozbuska.5263)

How many might stacks / vuln was this with? banners and such?

Could probably have hit a bit harder tossing grenades rather than the bombs.

Bombs solidly out damage grenades.

If the vuln stacks are 25 – yes.
If you are solo – yes.
Everywhere else – no.

• 12 Sec stealth is totally short.
  • cc can be used in a positive way, like buffing + knock enemies together at the same time. situational
  • slot at short fight vuln stacking??? ehm … no.
  • depends on situation. agreed that stacked enemies or FGS 4 into a wall isn’t really outdamageable by noone.

Maybe it would be better to change the war with the ing tbh…

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

1)They wasted the bomb. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. The current record for arah p2 from dnt used blinding powder for the long skip after alphard from thief. That’s 40s compared to engi’s smoke bomb that’s only 25.
2)Only BoB is a cc that’s mandatory. You can easily replace mine with rifle turret.
3)Possibly true.
4)Likewise. But the issue wasn’t about engi replacing ele. It was about replacing thief.

(edited by robertul.3679)