Are engineers good duelists in WvW and PvP?

in Engineer

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

With any of their meta builds are they good duelists? Who is the most troublesome for them to fight?

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

in Engineer

Posted by: Morpid.3659

Morpid.3659

dire for wvw or rabid for pvp is engis only choice if u wana compete

in Engineer

Posted by: santenal.1054

santenal.1054

I don’t know what builds you consider meta for wvw but I can share some opinions about the builds that I find rather hard to beat (in wvw with my build). Powerbuilds can mostly be beat as long as you know what they can do (quite obvious) . Engineers main weakness is conditions. I bring healing turret (2/15s), super elixir (1/16s) , superior sigil of cleansing (1/9s) and transmute (1/15s) as condition cleanses. With those i have a reasonable chance (about 50%?) to beat burst burn guardians, condi engineers (serious builds), condi rangers, condi thieves, cele necros and cele eles. uphill battles are against condi necros and condi mesmers (+90% in mesmers favor).

Overall a well played engi with a serious build (2 or 3 kit engi) seems like a solid dueler to me.

(ones alchemical tinctures + elixir x bug is fixed and med kit is made useable and buffed, engineers will have more/beter options to deal with conditions )

Wolfineer has some nice wvw dueling videos on youtube and on his site you can find tips on how to fight specific builds. You should watch those vids if you want a good understanding of what the engi is capable of. I myself am waiting for him to make a " how to fight pu condition perplexity mesmer" video for some extra tips.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

not true at all

soldier, marauder, rabid, and carrion all work in pvp. full glass and power bruiser work in wvw. pure dire is actually terrible in wvw, no way to proc ip. pretty much any mix of rabid/carrion/dire/sinister works in wvw, simply choose how glassy you want to be and make sure you have 20~25% crit rate minimum or int sigil.

what engi cant fight well against in a duel is condi mes/thief/ranger… well.. condi anything tbh. most power builds are killable and the spectrum ranges from tough to easy.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: linsalainen.5806

linsalainen.5806

the two ONLY things did i have very little no no chance in killing in both wvw, and spvp is necromancer with plague signet, and a mesmer with confusion build, since i always have to swap kits etc, and necro’s because they send back 7 stacks of confusion and 6 stacks of burning, poison, bleeds, and vulnerability (which i cant cleanse effectivly). Everything else just melts in about 5 seconds. Any theif will almost always get one hit if you get a crit with any skill. I play 3 kit condi engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Renny.6571

Renny.6571

Any class is a good duelist if you play it well. Engi just requires more effort.

elite specs ruined pvp.

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

In my opinion it is much easier for dueling to use a build with no ground target skills.
I really love nades but i find them easy to dodge in 1 vs 1 expecially in wvw where you are not obliged to fight on a point .
I had good success with a condi build
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqalUUhqrY7Ww+KQ7FLsFFYIeiBgYHNFPxYOOGfBA-TJRGwAAeAAZ2fIxJAoZZAA

This build is really strong in 1 vs 1 and it is quite trivial to use : stay in elixir gun for all the time you are ranged and when enemy comes to melee switch to pistols for pistol 4 and pistol 2. It hurts really a lot. It is not a build made by myself, i used a version a little different but i copied this from Jebro ( if i remember correctly ) and in 1 vs 1 it is really great . It seems weak but with short elixir B and S ( from elixirs and from alchemy trait) , frequent stealth , protection and stability it is really strong . It has also a good condi removal . Remember also that you have 3 blast finisher , 1 water field, 2 light field … use them wisely and you can arrive to get really long periods of retaliation whch is really op .

(edited by PierPiero.9142)

in Engineer

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

Engineers are the strongest faceroll class in the game, it’s how I got to rank 2 in soloq some time ago.

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in Engineer

Posted by: Nekrothaft.6390

Nekrothaft.6390

Engineers are the strongest faceroll class in the game, it’s how I got to rank 2 in soloq some time ago.

Yeah well I heard turret spam doesn’t work anymore

“Necros are in a good spot”…. let the kitten sacrifice commence.

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Engies are excellent duelists under all its forms, if anything, it’s the 1vsMany they don’t really handle that well due to having some necessary, yet very binary mechanics if one of the opponents is a condition monkey.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

This is just WOW man… Not even remotely true.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in Engineer

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

and before that the knockback engi. Engi actually requires skill now.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

It really depends on what you are dueling against. I run condi on my engi, specifically, burn. I tend to run p/p but often p/s with FT + mortar, sometimes FT + elixir X or supply crate.

Also, dire is no good as pointed out above, you need crit chance. I personally tend to run a mix in WvW. My WvW set is 6x sinister armor, and a mix of carrion / rabid of all else. If I need more survivability I start switchign the carrion / rabid pieces for dire (usually rings and weapons, my pistols are 1x carrion, 1x rabid while shield is dire)

Also I switched one of mu sigils for sigil of accuracy, so I can get a little extra crit chance while running a more tanky set.

For zerg play, I equip full dire armor + runes of melandru and switch my rings to rampagers. The crit rate hit is not that big a deal because zergs have a very high uptime on fury, so crit chance issue is offset quite a bit by that.

With all that, it is as has been stated above, roughly about 50/50, sometimes lower, sometimes higher. I have good days, I have bad days, but I consider myself roughly balanced based on the average fight outcomes. I lose to decent executed hard counter builds, and usually own those whom I am built to counter.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

(edited by Tongku.5326)

in Engineer

Posted by: Morpid.3659

Morpid.3659

o yeah? show me ur power engi viable meta for wvw where u can 1vX anyone and win

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

If you win and stomp
1 vs 2 you usually are fighting upascalde or bad players

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Engineers have to be played very well but when you do, they are really good duelists imo. The things with engineer is that every build has their weakness so it can be countered well. So depends on what you are fighting

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Engineer

Posted by: Nekrothaft.6390

Nekrothaft.6390

and before that the knockback engi. Engi actually requires skill now.

Yup. I’m not very experienced with Engi in sPvP and I tried this nice condi build yesterday. Got rekt so hard by everyone I forgot my name.
Will keep on practising though!
:)

“Necros are in a good spot”…. let the kitten sacrifice commence.

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

o yeah? show me ur power engi viable meta for wvw where u can 1vX anyone and win

no build can 1vX decent players. the reset potential is too great for the X, if any single person gets pressured he just walks away while another holds you in combat so YOU cant reset too.

in Engineer

Posted by: McFribble.2349

McFribble.2349

not true at all

soldier, marauder, rabid, and carrion all work in pvp. full glass and power bruiser work in wvw. pure dire is actually terrible in wvw, no way to proc ip. pretty much any mix of rabid/carrion/dire/sinister works in wvw, simply choose how glassy you want to be and make sure you have 20~25% crit rate minimum or int sigil.

what engi cant fight well against in a duel is condi mes/thief/ranger… well.. condi anything tbh. most power builds are killable and the spectrum ranges from tough to easy.

How on earth can you be having a hard time against any stealth builds? Engineers are literally hard counters to them.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mebaru.4513

Mebaru.4513

Engineers can be pretty good or even awesome in PvP when using kits builds. But playing kit-heavy engineer is very tedious, both in pve and pvp. It’s not for everyone for sure.

in Engineer

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

Engineers can most definitely be good duelists. HGH celestial elixirs is definitely the way to go for specifically 1v1 fighting.

The following build can deal with pretty much anything 1v1:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlcThqrY9VwdLQ7FLsFFYIuBBQYKeRvm4GVFPBA-TJBHwAFuAAAeAAl2fAZZAA

And if you don’t like celestial this works too:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlUUh6rY7WwkLQ7FLTGU42TWYFf2BCw4HafEA-TJBFABiXGggLAgO7PAwDAAA

The others were right in suggesting that for dueling situations auto targeted skills like rifle are far easier to deliver consistent damage and allow you to focus better on dodging.

For 1vX these builds do falter slightly because 90% of the damage is single target but the high sustain on either is generally enough to focus a player down whilst tanking the damage from the others.

in Engineer

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

If you can react and be creative enough with your skills.

For example,

Currently there are some people using blast gyro’s high damage to their advantage.

One Blast Gyro is nothing but 10 or more charging at a mob of players may just instantly wipe them due to each one doing around 2K damage per Blast Gyro.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

So far Scrapper has really good sustain. Also you can harass with CC like a boss while doing decent damage.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASnUUBFpilcBubBEqilJji+tr7+W8ZOgAY8Dqg4D-TJxHABXXGIgHAAAXAAR2fAA

I feel this build is pretty easily countered with kiting, but in my time fooling around in a 1v1 server I was able to block/reflect long enough to catch up to anyone or wait for Rocket Leap cooldown. Even a Chrono! Also spamming Elixir Gun auto isn’t really a bad thing if you’re stuck at range for a little bit.

I can’t really call it anything more than a gimmick build at this point, took me less than 5 minutes to throw it together. I’m sure the Engi community will figure out a better Scrapper build in the future.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

not true at all

How on earth can you be having a hard time against any stealth builds? Engineers are literally hard counters to them.

what exactly made you think stealth when i said condi.