[BUG] Bugs/exploits with the mortar kit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Animations:
- Flash shell has no animation
- Nozzle-exhaust is not released in the projectile-direction, but instead is released upwards in a ~135° angle, usually directly into the players camera (unless you look from it sideways). This can scramble our view and block it with unnecessary particle effects.

Skills:
They seem to work as intended I think. Still, #5’s field-duration is not profiting from HGH’s elixir-duration increase, but I can recall that certain traits are not meant to stack, so not sure about this one. Btw, EG #5 is also not profiting from increased elixir-duration

Traits:
This is the reason for this Thread.
With streamlined kits it is currently possible to continuously drop aether-fields with swapping in and out of mortar. Every swap (roughly every 2s, since 2×1s internal cd for kit-swap) we will drop the stream-lined kits proc for mortar, which is the one thiefs get for stealing from us.
The swiftness portion of streamlined kits works fine, proc’ing every 20 seconds.
Worth noting is that we also keep the icon in our buff-bar up when we swap into mortar, even after swiftness proc’d and is on a 20s cd.
I’ve played around with this a while, and this bug will also allow us to swap into mortar for proc’ing swiftness and gunk and right after switch into any other kit to proc their [streamlined kits]-effect (but not swiftness) as well.
After proc’ing another kits’ [streamlined kits]-effect the buff icon will disappear from our bar, and mortar will not be able to drop gunk until the internal cd is over.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: mies backfire.9286

mies backfire.9286

I can add on to this. Orbital Strike doesn’t seem to allow anything to be “queued” after it. Using napalm right after orbital strike doesn’t work unless you keep mashing on it until the aftercast ends.

Not a huge deal, but I asked a friend to try it out and it caught him off guard as well.

in Engineer

Posted by: dervix.9126

dervix.9126

The ethereal field problem is huge and should be fixed immediately. I tried it out myself, you can literally spam random-condition fields. It’s crazy and broken.

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

I’d like to add that many of the mortar skills’ animations seem to need some polish.
Currently all fired shells look like the auto-attack, so for counter-play reasons it would be necessary to color them accordingly to their attack.

1. should have a dark-green trail (similar to ’nades #5)
  2. should have a icy, white trail (similar to ’nades #4)
  3. should have a bright flashing projectile (similar to ’nades #3) / (also its field still needs an animation)
  4. should have a bright-blueish trail

I know that animation changes can take quite some time, but since the aether-field exploit requires an immediate fix, a few days extra should be taken to polish the mortar visuals.

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

Just found another one.
It appears that the projectile finisher does not work unless the projectile is traveling physically trough another enemy-player/NPC. While directly targeted weapons like pistols or rifles don’t care that much anyways, a bundle that does not use direct aim for its skills seems to simply not work with this kind of finisher.

I’ve seen this coming when A-net announced that we get a projectile finisher on mortar #1, because it is common knowledge that Projectile finishers are designed to release their gained combo-effect upon contact with a target. That also applies for the supportive ones, like light-field + projectile-finishers. They’d clear 1 condi in a small range AROUND the target they’ve just hit, not for the guy who fired it.
The problem lies in the fact that the game does not release a projectile-finishers’ effect until it has hit a target that is damagable, and since that target is usually a flat surface for the mortar-shells, the game is no recognizing that this combo has reached its target (has hit a target with its AOE-effect), and therefore doesn’t trigger it, which lets the poor engi, who tried to condi-clear in that way die a horrible death.

Please A-net, there are many things that went horribly wrong with mortar (up to a point where spamming aether-fields became a reality). To make this kit into the awesome weapon that you’ve designed in theory, there must many hours of polish be invested to achieve your goal.

Beyond the fixing of obviously broken animations (missing animation for the flash-shell’s field / nozzle-exhaust being released towards the player (directly into the player-camera)), and the fix for the streamlined kits exploit / after-cast of vital strike, there needs to be some redesigning done for the Mortar AA.

Solutions I’d come up with:
A) Remove the AA’s projectile-finisher, increase vital strike’s base dmg by 50% and change the grandmaster-trait to give us blast-finishers for the AA instead of double vital strikes. Since that’d be totally op, therefore did not make it into the game originally, give us an ICD for these blast-finishers, so it’s tuned down and reasonable.
B) Everything like “A)”, but give us the first ranged AA-chain, where the 3rd attack would be a blast-finisher, instead of having a fixed ICD for the trait.
C) Increase the AA’s projectile velocity and make it directly targeted, releasing its AOE-dmg upon contact with a enemy-player/NPC.
D) Remove the AA’s projectile finisher, and give it a couple of bleed stacks for a short duration, so the mortar keeps being an interesting choice for condi-builds.
E) Maybe other good ideas from posts that’d come after this one?

(edited by Arantheal.7396)

in Engineer

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

how about a mortar reskin :P

in Engineer

Posted by: Knox.8962

Knox.8962

in Engineer

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

Just found another one.
It appears that the projectile finisher does not work unless the projectile is traveling physically trough another enemy-player/NPC. While directly targeted weapons like pistols or rifles don’t care that much anyways, a bundle that does not use direct aim for its skills seems to simply not work with this kind of finisher.

I’ve seen this coming when A-net announced that we get a projectile finisher on mortar #1, because it is common knowledge that Projectile finishers are designed to release their gained combo-effect upon contact with a target. That also applies for the supportive ones, like light-field + projectile-finishers. They’d clear 1 condi in a small range AROUND the target they’ve just have hit, not for the guy who fired it.
The problem lies in the fact that the game does not release a projectile-finishers’ effect until it has hit a target that is damagable, and since that is usually a flat surface for the mortar, the game is no recognizing that this combo has reached its target, and therefore doesn’t trigger it, which lets the poor engi, who tried to condi-clear in that way die a horrible death.

Please A-net, there are many things that went horribly wrong with mortar (up to a point where spamming aether-fields became a reality). To make this kit into the awesome weapon that you’ve designed in theory, there must many hours of polish be invested to achieve your goal.

Beyond the fixing of obviously broken animations (missing animation for the flash-shell’s field / nozzle-exhaust being released towards the player (directly into the player-camera)), and the fix for the streamlined kits exploit / after-cast of vital strike, there needs to be some redesigning done for the Mortar AA.

Solutions I’d come up with:
A) Remove the AA’s projectile-finisher, increase vital strike’s base dmg by 50% and change the grandmaster-trait to give us blast-finishers for the AA instead of double vital strikes. Since that’d be totally op, therefore did not make it into the game originally, give us an ICD for these blast-finishers, so it’s tuned down and reasonable.
B) Everything like “A)”, but give us the first ranged AA-chain, where the 3rd attack would be a blast-finisher, instead of having a fixed ICD for the trait.
C) Increase the AA’s projectile velocity and make it directly targeted, releasing its AOE-dmg upon contact with a enemy-player/NPC.
D) Remove the AA’s projectile finisher, and give it a couple of bleed stacks for a short duration, so the mortar keeps being an interesting choice for condi-builds.
E) Maybe other good ideas from posts that’d come after this one?

For A, I think Siege Rounds is good where it is. Like the idea for B. C would probably have to come with a damage nerf (Since it basically makes it super rifle AA, more damage, AoE and an explosive without any real drawbacks like delayed blast or ground targeting) Not sure if I’d be happy with D, I’d rather have the ability to benefit from more power or support-focused finishers like cleanse and life siphon than a bleed on what is otherwise a rather mediocre condi kit.

My E is to make the Projectile finisher for mortar proc for the target hit closest to the center of the AoE. This would keep things like 1/2sec 5 condi cleanses, and AoE 5sec Confusion/Life Siphon from happening, while still giving a more consistent benefit for the finisher.

E#2 would be to make the fisher proc for all targets hit, but then change the finisher chance to 20% (or better yet, 100% for one target, 50% for two, 33% on three 25% on four and 20% the cap of 5) giving us the potential for those things without making it reliable enough to bring it to insane levels.

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

Oh well, someone did beat me to it^^

But I guess having one thread for bug-reporting, and another one for comming up with reasonable solutions in the representative sub-forums would be the best way to go with this anyways

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

-snip-

For A, I think Siege Rounds is good where it is. Like the idea for B. C would probably have to come with a damage nerf (Since it basically makes it super rifle AA, more damage, AoE and an explosive without any real drawbacks like delayed blast or ground targeting) Not sure if I’d be happy with D, I’d rather have the ability to benefit from more power or support-focused finishers like cleanse and life siphon than a bleed on what is otherwise a rather mediocre condi kit.

My E is to make the Projectile finisher for mortar proc for the target hit closest to the center of the AoE. This would keep things like 1/2sec 5 condi cleanses, and AoE 5sec Confusion/Life Siphon from happening, while still giving a more consistent benefit for the finisher.

E#2 would be to make the fisher proc for all targets hit, but then change the finisher chance to 20% (or better yet, 100% for one target, 50% for two, 33% on three 25% on four and 20% the cap of 5) giving us the potential for those things without making it reliable enough to bring it to insane levels.

Both E’s sound good, and would be fun to play around with, but it would really surprise me if Gw2’s engine is able to perform this kind of detection for the projectile-finishers. And revamping its code for a single skill, with the potential to break all others…

Welp, Dev’s decision, I guess.

in Engineer

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

-snip-

Both E’s sound good, and would be fun to play around with, but it would really surprise me if Gw2’s engine is able to perform this kind of detection for the projectile-finishers. And revamping its code for a single skill, with the potential to break all others…

Welp, Dev’s decision, I guess.

The Boon removal for Throw Mine’s Mine Field already works in a very similar way to E1. All the mines hit up to five targets, but only remove one boon from one target when they explode, even when multiple targets are hit. (something I personally discovered the hard way when I tried to use them to remove retribution from the Skeletal Lich’s minions last Halloween >_<)

in Engineer

Posted by: Altwazar.3708

Altwazar.3708

I can add on to this. Orbital Strike doesn’t seem to allow anything to be “queued” after it.

It’s not only Orbital Strike, but all engineer’s toolbelt skills with cast time (regeneratin mist, grenade barrage etc). Really irritating problem.
I’ve recorded 15 sec video with it: https://youtu.be/uTvOzU-YoUA
I’ve found out, that abilities with cast time don’t work (jump shot, grenades, blunderbuss, acid bomb etc). But fast abilities work with no problem (net shot, overcharged shot etc).

(edited by Altwazar.3708)

in Engineer

Posted by: Control.8154

Control.8154

I can add on to this. Orbital Strike doesn’t seem to allow anything to be “queued” after it. Using napalm right after orbital strike doesn’t work unless you keep mashing on it until the aftercast ends.

Not a huge deal, but I asked a friend to try it out and it caught him off guard as well.

So true!!! I hope they fix this as soon as possible.

in Engineer

Posted by: mies backfire.9286

mies backfire.9286

I can add on to this. Orbital Strike doesn’t seem to allow anything to be “queued” after it.

It’s not only Orbital Strike, but all engineer’s toolbelt skills witch cast time (regeneratin mist, grenade barrage etc). Really irritating problem.
I’ve recorded 15 sec video with it: https://youtu.be/uTvOzU-YoUA
I’ve found out, that abilities with cast time don’t work (jump shot, grenades, blunderbuss, acid bomb etc). But fast abilities work with no problem (net shot, overcharged shot etc).

Huh, never realized that. Is it new to this patch? I only noticed it with orbital strike because it’s the only toolbelt with a cast time that I immediately use another skill after (orbital strike + flame blast for might stacking). Really hoping this gets some sort of attention soon.

in Engineer

Posted by: Altwazar.3708

Altwazar.3708

Is it new to this patch?

Yes. Before patch I can use other abilities immediately after grenade barrage and regenerating mist.
(add: this is bug of “Static Discharge” trait)

(edited by Altwazar.3708)