Base Engineer weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Gatvin.6510

Gatvin.6510

I never understood why they don’t have it. Other classes also get weapon=kit type skills and still get to have weapon swap.

in Engineer

Posted by: Weylin.6478

Weylin.6478

I would at least like to have a weapon swap for Out of Combat for the sake of convenience.

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

It’s not like we have anything to switch to.

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

1. what toolbox said
2. elementalists, as base-class, also don’t have weaponswap. And with their atunements and our kits, we are the only two classes that have consistent access to more than two “weapon”-skill sets in combat.
I think the game design is consistent in this regard, especially since the design idea of engineer always revolved around kits.

Still, the ongoing balancing of our skills have made non-kit builds viable nowadays, so kits shouldn’t be seen as our central class-mechanic anymore. More so with the addition of elite-specializations.

Maybe, at some point in the future, a-net will revisit the class-design-idea of the engineer, and recognize that we have evolved past it. Outside of future elite-specializations, I’d love to see mace being added to our vanilla class,alongside the ability to weaponwap, giving us melee cc and tank capabilities, so power-focused builds could profit from running mace, too.
So far we only have pistol shield as alternative to rifle, and both of these sets are so different that you can’t even run them effectively stat-wise – well outside of celestial / other hybrid stats, ofc.

So for mace, I’d like to see it to be sound-themed, like dredge weapons, f.e.:
AA1:
medium dmg / 130 range / 3 targets / n sec bleed
AA2:
medium dmg /130 range / 3 targets / n sec bleed
AA3:
heavy dmg / double cast time / interrupt / 130 range / 3 targets / n sec confusion

Skill 2:
Blastwave
6s cd / heavy dmg / conic front-AoE / 480 range / n sec weakness / n sec cripple

Skill 3:
Soundshell
15s cd / 2,5s channel / 5 ticks / 480 range AoE / n sec stability to allies / n sec regeneration to allies

Inventions – delete medical dispersion field (it’s a pointless trait anyways)
New trait – Supersonic Amplifier (inventions grandmaster 3):
- Mace skills cd reduction 10%
- Mace AA 3 is now a blast-finisher [Alternative : Soundshell now provides might & fury for n seconds]

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

(edited by Arantheal.7396)

in Engineer

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

No weapon swap is one of the best things about engineer.

If you don’t want to be madly jumping about between different weapons to take advantage of their long cooldown abilities, you don’t have to. Awesome.

If you do, you can equip a kit. Or two, three, four or five even.

They’ve got all bases covered in this respect. It’s one of the features of engineer which I envy.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Or two, three, four or five even.

soon: 6

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

As I have said before I dont think the engie should have normal weapon swap but rather the ability to choose a “free kit” as weapon swap. So your weapons would for example be p/p + flamethrower and you still have heal + 3 skills + elite available to choose.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

As I have said before I dont think the engie should have normal weapon swap but rather the ability to choose a “free kit” as weapon swap. So your weapons would for example be p/p + flamethrower and you still have heal + 3 skills + elite available to choose.

I like this idea. I don’t know if it is a good idea, but I like it.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Engineer

Posted by: dusanyu.4057

dusanyu.4057

Or two, three, four or five even.

soon: 6

Forge Puts the other kits on cool down so i see Hoilomancer dancing between the Holoforge and useing there Sword to maintin a ballance of heat and cooldown

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Topics like this must make it difficult for the devs to take feedback seriously.

5 years later and people really think the Engi needs weapon swap? Or somehow turn this into a conversation about free skills by adding kits without talking up utility spots?

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: michelada.2947

michelada.2947

the problem with engi is that you are forced to take a kit every single time, anet should add the option to have a 2nd set of weapons when you don’t have any kit, this is a nice idea because adds variety to the class, i wish i could go full elixirs with hammer and pistol shield without the need of having to equip a kit.

the reason eles don’t weapon swap it’s because they have a set of 20 skills no matter what weeapon they choose.

(edited by michelada.2947)

in Engineer

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

Forge Puts the other kits on cool down so i see Hoilomancer dancing between the Holoforge and useing there Sword to maintin a ballance of heat and cooldown

You beat me to it.

Additionally, both sword and exceed skills benefit from heat.

in Engineer

Posted by: dusanyu.4057

dusanyu.4057

I am honestly excited for holo smith it gives Engies the straight forward bruiser playstyle that this class has been missing in PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Straight forward bruiser playstyle.
Exactly what I was NOT interested in when I chose Engie as my main.
Why did they make Engie another warrior? Aghh.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Engineer

Posted by: Arimas.3492

Arimas.3492

I’m gunna throw my 2 cents about the kits argument and ele comparison.

Engis have the option to run kits that all have some type of niche use or are effective at one area whereas weapons aren’t built to have a niche use, they are more build defining.

Eles don’t have weapon swap because their mechanic is swapping between elements, so no matter what they will always have 20 weapon abilities.

The only reason I don’t see how weapon swap wouldn’t work on engineer is because the core class does not have a utility weapon that could fill the gap. Rifle is power, pistols are Condi and shield is offhand for defense. With elite specs it could work but then that could be considered a direct upgrade to run elite specs because then only through elite specs could you get 2 power options (hammer and rifle or sword and rifle) for example.