Best burst build for Engi?

in Engineer

Posted by: kaikalii.4198

kaikalii.4198

So, I just got my engi to level 80, so logically, I equipped him with full zerk gear and took him into WvW with a rinky dink sd build, because as I understand it, sd is the biggest power burst an engineer has. However, I really didn’t feel like I was doing that much damage. I generally prefer to play glassy builds that just delete people, i.e. D/x thief, S/F ele, and shatter Mesmer, as it’s my favorite play style. What all those build have though is some sort of survivability while you wait for your burst to be back up: clones, stealth, evades, reflects, invulns, blinks, etc. The only thing I really have on engi is the TK block. Once that is down, I just try to rely on basic dodging and kiting, but I feel like I need more.

What am I doing wrong, and is there a better burst build I can play?
This is for WvW solo roaming.

Kaliiii (Thief) – SoS

in Engineer

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

Fair warning: This ain’t your grandma’s burst build.

Static discharge is a great burst, but if you’re looking for true deletion, throw mine is the way to go. Take Forceful Explosives and Explosive Powder and drop a minefield on someone who’s immobilized and they will explode. Mix that in with Surprise Shot and Analyze and you can literally 100 → 0 some builds. This build takes a ton of skill and isn’t really something you want to 1v1 with, but I’ve definitely done it before. Trick is to not tunnel vision on going for the deletion, but instead let them make mistakes and blow cooldowns off of your crazy strong autos.

Generally, the build is something like 6/6/0/0/2.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

If you want more survival, I’d suggest running Throw Mine, Toolkit, Elixir S. Invisible pull into minefield detonation can easily 100-0 if you’re in berserker gear. I also find running a 4/2/0/2/6 a good setup, taking speedy kits, armour mods and power wrench in tools. This maximises crit damage, and with runes of the pack, the precision gain from investing into firearms is compensated for with the fury and +125 precision it grants.

in Engineer

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Boons make burst hard, use boon stripping BEFORE the engage. Mines for example.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

SD burst isn’t that good! And you trade a lot of survivability to take SD traits and utilities! Throw Mine/Minefield is a one trick pony build and isn’t that good either! Maybe you can use the tried and true 30/0/0/20/20 berserker build! Grenade TK Elixir S/Slick Shoes! Grenade Barrage is pretty huge burst! You can even build cele for almost the same damage with much higher sustain!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in Engineer

Novuake.2691

Currently using a Cele HGH variant. Seriously good burst but not as much as Static (S / D was somehow kittened, no idea why). Its just EASIER to maintain damage because you arn’t constantly trying to survive.

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

SD burst isn’t that good! And you trade a lot of survivability to take SD traits and utilities! Throw Mine/Minefield is a one trick pony build and isn’t that good either! Maybe you can use the tried and true 30/0/0/20/20 berserker build! Grenade TK Elixir S/Slick Shoes! Grenade Barrage is pretty huge burst! You can even build cele for almost the same damage with much higher sustain!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

I like to run that but take static discharge over tk trait and rifle turret over elixir s yea it’s dangerous but I’ve got the experience as an engineer to pull it off and the surprise I’m not celestial gets people everytime.

no one ever suspects the glass engi anymore.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

The Gates Assassin.9827

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Cele isn’t a burst build. Berserker is literally stat wise inferior in everyway to cele nades when cele stacks up 5 stacks of might.

He did say: “I generally prefer to play glassy builds that just delete people, " Nothing deletes people like 100 mines!

(edited by The Gates Assassin.9827)

in Engineer

Novuake.2691

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Cele isn’t a burst build. Berserker is literally stat wise inferior in everyway to cele nades when cele stacks up 5 stacks of might.

He did say: “I generally prefer to play glassy builds that just delete people, " Nothing deletes people like 100 mines!

Good luck getting into position consistently when you can’t take a light breeze to the face…

in Engineer

The Gates Assassin.9827

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Good luck getting into position consistently when you can’t take a light breeze to the face…

It’s not for everyone

in Engineer

Novuake.2691

It’s not for everyone[/quote]

Sure is not. :P
Not for me at least.