Best solo pve spec to level?

in Engineer

Posted by: sporticus.8149

sporticus.8149

I am new to Guild Wars 2 (I have dipped my toe in the water, but never got past level 5 or so).

I decided on the Engineer and now in reading the forums it appears I am jumping on the bandwagon of a class that is perceived to be too strong, no big deal. I have been reading the forums for the last few days and the Engineer Handbook stickied here and while there is a ton of good information some of it is a bit difficult to digest given a noob understanding of mechanics and terminology.

Pretty simple question: What is the best PvE solo (I am a loner and play at odd times) eng spec? Some of the guides talk about grenades being the way to go but I also got the implication that those assumed a group instead of going it alone.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

grenades are a thing at 80 when you have access to grandmaster traits and can take grenadier.

to level: try rifle, bombs, speedy kits (2 tools), and rocket boots or elixir gun for extra mobility. get forceful explosives when you can (2 explosives) and other traits in explosives and firearms to upgrade your bombs and rifle.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

What insanemaniac said. Bombs are where it’s at when leveling. Can literally run in circles dropping bombs and killing most everything.

in Engineer

Posted by: sporticus.8149

sporticus.8149

Thanks to you both, will begin building that way!

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Also use power-focused gear. And a sigil of bloodlust is cheap and goes a long way.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

I was struggling with Engi leveling back at launch until I discovered Bombs, Static Discharge and Speedy Kits.

Rifle or any power based kit with Static Discharge and low CD Toolbelt abilities works great. Bombs work great.

Whatever you run look at all your available options within your build, try to cycle through your big hitters. If you run Bombs switch to Rifle for 3 n 5 (launch and land on your target for double damage with 5) then right back to bombs. Engi’s are sorta unique as we don’t have a weapon swap CD. Lots of times I run TK just to swap in for its number 3 attack, and It’s Toolbelt is pretty high if the return swing hits. Same with FT 2/2 and EG4. If you wanna get the most personal damage out of the class never just camp one kit or weapon.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Engineer

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Also use power-focused gear. And a sigil of bloodlust is cheap and goes a long way.

Weird, I was gonna suggest otherwise. If you focus on conditions, your damage scales with your level and not with your weapon strength, which is of course a nice thing.

Keep in mind that even an Adept trait like Static Discharge is unlocked only at lvl 40. I would advise you to play a condi based P-P + Bombs build, and whatever other utilities you might like. You won’t kill as fast as on a power build, but you’ll be able to kill multiple opponents at once.