Beta, Beta, Beta

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Warjin.8942

Warjin.8942

That’s the word I would use to describe the Engineer class, I have played every class, ever build, some classes and builds weaker then others some overpowered, but as for this class every single build is weak, clunky or lacking, and the ones that are considered strong are nothing more then gimick specs example (100 ballz), this class needs an overhaul, it’s not working i’m sorry, it’s not on par with the other classes in terms of game play.

I love the idea and the concept but the execution is flawed.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

That’s the word I would use to describe the Engineer class, I have played every class, ever build, some classes and builds weaker then others some overpowered, but as for this class every single build is weak, clunky or lacking, and the ones that are considered strong are nothing more then gimick specs example (100 ballz), this class needs an overhaul, it’s not working i’m sorry, it’s not on par with the other classes in terms of game play.

I love this class, thanks.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Warjin.8942

I love this class, thanks.

I love the idea yes, but poorly done IMO, compaired to other classes I have played and still play, the Eng is clunky at best, fun yes but clunky, this class seems like a after thought, not well thought out, and I understand the Eng is not your run of the mill MMOrpg class like rogues, paladin, warrior, mage, so they really had no reference to work with other then, huum Eng, “Tinker class” ,but this class needs to be more refined, it’s like this class had no direction like the other classes.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Engineer was announced last and came very late in development in regards to bugfixes and QA. At launch, we were a strange mix of grossly overpowered and non-functional.

The dev team worked really hard and things have been pretty good now for a while. A few of the old lower-priority (read: not gamebreaking) problems remain.

I’m curious as to which area of the game you feel engineer doesn’t work well in? I can’t speak much to PvE, but as far as I can tell we’re doing just fine in PvP and WvW. If you want, hop on one of the “better” professions and come duel me sometime, I’d love to change your opinion about this amazing profession

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Stillshade.7634

Stillshade.7634

I’ve been playing engineer since launch and it has been an interesting ride, but I’ve noticed that on an engineer you make a build for what you want to do, and one build doesn’t work perfectly going from pvp, to pve, to wvw, but there are plenty of viable builds that work fine for any playstyle.

Maguuma Engi Evvenna
Things that go BOOM

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Warjin.8942

Engineer was announced last and came very late in development in regards to bugfixes and QA. At launch, we were a strange mix of grossly overpowered and non-functional.

The dev team worked really hard and things have been pretty good now for a while. A few of the old lower-priority (read: not gamebreaking) problems remain.

I’m curious as to which area of the game you feel engineer doesn’t work well in? I can’t speak much to PvE, but as far as I can tell we’re doing just fine in PvP and WvW. If you want, hop on one of the “better” professions and come duel me sometime, I’d love to change your opinion about this amazing profession

It’s hard to put my finger on it, but the class just feels like it suffers from lack of direction like we have with the other classes, don’t get me wrong the class is fun but it lacks in may areas to me, mainly the feel of the class, the skills seem not practical in use compared to other classes, mostly gimick-y at best, the class needs to be more streamline and not so much kit heavy to be effective, to tell you the truth I really don’t know as i’m not a game dev. but something just feels off to me, but maybe its me who knows.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

When the Warrior’s RIFLE skills out DPS the engineer’s RIFLE skills…. then yes, engineers are broken in my eyes. Pistols are way too weak and the amount of shots the Warrior gets off is double. Flamethrower kit hardly does any damage and 50% of the time, doesn’t work as intended. Okay.. so this post is a bit ignorant. I know… but the skills are just way better for the warrior using the rifle.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

(edited by HykCraft.4610)

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

If you had posted this a year ago I would have agreed with you, but engineers have come a long way since then. True some things such as turrets and flamethrower still suck and probably always will but if you ignore those almost everything else is in a relatively good spot.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

When the Warrior’s RIFLE skills out DPS the engineer’s RIFLE skills…. then yes, engineers are broken in my eyes. Pistols are way too weak and the amount of shots the Warrior gets off is double. Flamethrower kit hardly does any damage and 50% of the time, doesn’t work as intended. Okay.. so this post is a bit ignorant. I know… but the skills are just way better for the warrior using the rifle.

rifle engineer hits alot harder then warriors except for kill shot and kill shot can be a very easy attack to avoid, it’s all about the build, I’m going to have to disagree with the op, in spvp we do lack builds I think but that’s because of the meta that pigeonholes you in to particular builds, but in wvw there is so much opportunity for different and effective builds, I think they main things that do need to be looked at are turrets because they are very weak atm and work better in builds that ant turret builds(static discharge) and they need to find a way to make gadgets more sustain friendly, atm gadgets only work in 1 trick pony builds and even then are sub par to other builds, obviously rocket boots is the exception, but the other gadgets don’t quite bring enough to make them more effective then kits or elixirs.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Mishva.9416

Mishva.9416

Engineer is fine, it’s just the skill ceiling that is so kittening high. If anything, the class needs better players and not buffs*.

• We could use some fixes though (mainly turrets). Oh, and the IP nerf was uncalled for.
Mishvya Of Abyss [Abys] – SBI
engineer and commander.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

i think the perfect response to the op and anyone who agrees with him is this:

L2P

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

(edited by ellesee.8297)

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

2020 hours on my Engi and have loved every minute. I pity the fool who ain’t no Engi!

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I really enjoy Eng as a whole, but some things do still feel unpolished… the class has too many bugs/pointless traits. I’m sure they are slowly working on it though.

In terms of being fun to play though… by far the best class.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Class is fine. Are you drugs bro? Heaps of builds, heaps of options within traits, and potentially the funnest class to play because of kits.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Oh, the class is indeed fun. But i have to agree it seems in a beta phase since its introduction. Turrets never worked right for example, and gadgets are still lackluster (especially due to the traits – the ones we haven’t got for them).
There are also some nonsensical bits – like not having a second weapon slot and having the main weapons weaker due to kits, while having them optional and with added costs involved – we still have to pay the utility slot after all. Making them also a mess to balance, as a build with just the main weapon and utilities should be equal in strength to a build with the main weapon and three kits (ok, four if we count the med kit as well).
Also, there seems to be more focus on kits than on the actual class mechanic, even balance wise – we have a total of three traits (two of which are minor ones) related to the toolbelt itself, and a lot more for kits (often affecting single utilities, even in grandmaster slots, unlike any other class).
Overall, it would seem like our balance relies on kits being treated as our primary mechanic, but since it isn’t it lacks the advantage of the primary mechanic – that is, being always available.
Something that makes as much sense as giving light armor to warriors because they can use endure pain, or giving them reducing stats cause they could increase them with banners, or making them lose hp every second because they may use the healing signet to regain them. Yep, that’s how we are balanced regarding to kits.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

The Engineer is designed to be a ‘jack of all trades.’ Maybe that’s why the OP can’t find a specific niche, but personally, I quite like the freedom Engi provides. Find me another class that can team support and aoe and burst and have a ton of combos & finishers and our mobility and our survivability and our condition play. I emphasize “and” because there are definitely classes out there that can 1 or 2 of these things better, but nobody can do em all except us. And I love that. Means I don’t need 4 alts & I don’t need to gear those alts up. I can grab my engi, tweak my build, and head off into WvW, fractals, PvP, dungeons, open world, temple runs, anything! and be very effective. That , in my eyes, is our biggest strength.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

That is good in theory, and bad when the whole pve focuses on being “master of dps” or having some specialized support (like projectile blocks/reflection, something that we can do, but not as good as other classes, burst heals (again, guardian) or area quickness).
Not to talk about the issues with conditions and control/defiance.
But those are game-wide problems, rather of the class itself.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

As for polish, sure, there are aspects of Engineer that need work. But that’s true of most classes. Ranger needs a ton of work and they’re one of the archetypal professions with a very specific design concept. Ele is a clunky mess that’s pigeonholed into traits just to stay alive. Warrior is strong and well designed…and boring as all get-out.

At its inception Engi was flawed, but now we’re quite strong. OP calls it clunky, but I call it skill ceiling. Warrior is boring to me because 3/4 of its utilities are static stat buffs and their inherent defenses don’t require much in the way of active skill to play. I quite enjoy the active play that Engi requires. Bouncing around, blowing things up, whipping out various kits, having access to the tools I need when I need ‘em…very fun. Pretend you’re MacGyver.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Leviathan.9850

Leviathan.9850

I agree with the OP for the most part. I main engi and have termed my build “off-everything” (off-dps, off-support, off-tanking), and it’s cool and I really enjoy playing it… buuuuuttt I can’t agree with the people who say the engineer is “just fine”. The class is not just fine at all and is grossly overshadowed by every other class out there. Especially considering the fact that you need to button-dance really skillfully just to be on par with some of the more “easy” classes such as thief, mesmer or warrior.

My main suggestion towards lifting this class up a bit is to give us a boost in damage. That, and fix turrets.

PS: telling other players to L2P solves nothing :p

Hannelora – Engineer; Fan Lei Fa – Ranger
[Xian] Terracotta Army – Desolation server

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

The big problem I see with Engi is the player skill vs reward. To squeeze out the most DPS you need to flip kits constantly and try to watch cooldowns. And when you get good at it you’re only on par with other classes dps builds, but it still requires a ton of micro management. This class should at least reward a skilled player with higher DPS IMHO. I finally hit 80 on my warrior(after a year of procrastinating) and man, pushing dps with that class is like reclining on the beach sipping lemonade compared to Engi, still like Engi better though

I personally like the single weapon and kit setup. The almost 0 swap cooldown makes the class feel unique.

I agree we do need some tuning and fixes.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Warjin.8942

L2P

Maybe that is the case but i’m going to move on, this class takes to much effort with very little gain unlike a the other classes, I still hold true when I say this class needs a overhual.

The class is fun don’t get me wrong it’s just lacking and not worth my effort, as for the L2P as you kids like to say means nothing to me when the playing field isn’t balanced, my Ego comes from real life achievements not a video game so maybe perfect response to you is L2RL (real Life)

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Iconoklast.2389

Iconoklast.2389

My condi engineer is doing great. I find necro’s boring and I feel like with my asuran engineer I’m a little ball of exploding death.

Iconoklast – Guardian / Icono Clone – Mesmer
Tiny Icono – Engineer / The Icono – Elementalist
SoS – Empyrean Knights [EK] YB – The Coasters [TC]

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Pwent.2639

Pwent.2639

L2P

Maybe that is the case but i’m going to move on, this class takes to much effort with very little gain unlike a the other classes, I still hold true when I say this class needs a overhual.

The class is fun don’t get me wrong it’s just lacking and not worth my effort, as for the L2P as you kids like to say means nothing to me when the playing field isn’t balanced, my Ego comes from real life achievements not a video game so maybe perfect response to you is L2RL (real Life)

Lmao because people cant excel at both(sarcasm). So what you are saying here is that you think engi sucks because it has a higher skill level. For a lot of people challenges are fun and when hard work turns to great output you feel successful in real life or game. Some of the greatest things are the most difficult to achieve.

Ida

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

NevirSayDie.6235

Skill disparity is a real issue because for newer/more casual players, builds that are relatively easy to play will be way stronger than the higher skillfloor builds. If the disparity is too great, the harder professions begin to look horribly underpowered.

That said, I would rather see the easiest builds become harder than see engineers become easy. And I support the design concept that the professions should be equally powerful, but with different levels of complexity.

I do feel the gap has grown slightly too large, but again, the problem is at the low end, not the high end. Let’s make warriors are little less braindead before accusing engineers of being too hard.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: emilejuggernaut.1864

emilejuggernaut.1864

What i enjoy is getting bomb kit going spvp getting these face roll warriors and running in a circle dropping bombs and watching the chaos if that isn’t fun i don’t know what is some of the kits are better than what people make out. If a melee is on you get bomb on and run and drop it works very well i find against your average idiot.

Tbh i from my little experience playing have found a few positives:
No signets
Great variety F1-F4 keys with racials is always interesting on a sylvari anyway
You can be a annoying tanky healer
Great damage from kits lets you use utility weapons and slot skills
Tank build + elixir gun + healing turret = annoying.
The cons :
Ugly bag
Ugly bag
Lack of mobility options in slot skills
A few utility skills being bad but it could be worse it could be signets

But if these are a few problem i have myself it is better than my mesmer or elementalist i find as a engineer you can be the wildcard class and very unpredictable a load of classes have cookie cutter builds, I feel like i can build what i want with this class.

As nevir said it’s stupid burst that is not difficult to set up or balanced on classes like warriors i’d rather op classes get nerfd than decent/average ones get buffed.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Warjin.8942

L2P

Lmao because people cant excel at both(sarcasm). So what you are saying here is that you think engi sucks because it has a higher skill level. For a lot of people challenges are fun and when hard work turns to great output you feel successful in real life or game. Some of the greatest things are the most difficult to achieve.

Not a challenge but broke and unpolished, and sure people can excel at both but being arrogant and rude is a sign of low self esteam and a shattered ego, why not just be cool and debate the topic instead of being a jerk with kid comments like L2P?

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: totalpwnage.6534

totalpwnage.6534

Warjin how many hours have you racked up on an engineer? What kinds of gameplay are you doing? Just saying it’s bad without giving context isn’t constructive at all. The engineer class has a high skill cap but what you can do once you reach that point is amazing. No other class besides elementalist (and maybe guardian) compares to the ability an engi has to support his/her team and apply strong control/dps at the same time. Thats the exact reason I recently fully geared my engi in celestial, best idea I ever had. You try to say that engineer has no direction but you fail to see that the direction is entirely within the players control. You can literally play every type of build using an engineer, and you will be effective in doing so. Engineer gives rise to so many varying and interesting builds and that makes it so fun. Try to play an engineer using only one style of play and you will fail.

Happylittlevegemite of Darkhaven
Quick Load [LOAD]

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

well
ok to say engy is an high rank class to play but other class compared to engy got some improvement when angy got debuff

talk on basic weapon (rifle, pistol, shield)
other class deal condition, dmg and got some boon when they use some skill, engy got only condition and low dmg
for movement without kits or elixir we didn’t got any (some gadget but high CD )
we got bug never fixed and tips incorrects (EG count for elixir or not???)
build diversity = bunker or kit (nade, FT, bombs), SD, HgH when gadget and turrets cant played (no traits for gadget and bug for turrets)
racial skills useless (tool belt dont give any improvement on use and high CD)

i like to play engy, it’s fun but compared to other class engy got more restriction then other

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Singer.8740

Singer.8740

I log on in the evening after work, take a few minutes to decide do I want to go bunker buster or grenadier in wvw, or maybe ill go 4 min CM p2 and 3 for some quick cash, or maybe ill jump into fracs and a quick lv 49, or I could go smash face in tpvp. So while I am deciding what I want to do I come on her read this ignorant post and all ive got to say is.

L2P

EDIT; maybe you should rename the topic to “blah, blah, blah”

Etheeria (The mad bomber). If you don’t have shellshock your not doing it right.

(edited by Singer.8740)

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

Skill disparity is a real issue because for newer/more casual players, builds that are relatively easy to play will be way stronger than the higher skillfloor builds. If the disparity is too great, the harder professions begin to look horribly underpowered.

That said, I would rather see the easiest builds become harder than see engineers become easy. And I support the design concept that the professions should be equally powerful, but with different levels of complexity.

I do feel the gap has grown slightly too large, but again, the problem is at the low end, not the high end. Let’s make warriors are little less braindead before accusing engineers of being too hard.

couldn’t agree more, seems as patch’s come something gets easier to play and alot stronger, like before necros were op they were kinda like engineers since they wernt easy to pull off but a few skilled people made it work, same with warriors since they were rarely used back in the day unless it was zergs but even so back then i still seen a few getting around that once again were making it work, but now everyone has a spare necro or warrior.

so yea that gap is getting bigger all the time, and lets hope they dont screw with the high end we could be next.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

NevirSayDie.6235

couldn’t agree more, seems as patch’s come something gets easier to play and alot stronger, like before necros were op they were kinda like engineers since they wernt easy to pull off but a few skilled people made it work, same with warriors since they were rarely used back in the day unless it was zergs but even so back then i still seen a few getting around that once again were making it work, but now everyone has a spare necro or warrior.

so yea that gap is getting bigger all the time, and lets hope they dont screw with the high end we could be next.

Exactly—we don’t want an easy button for engineers. It would ruin the great dynamic we already have.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Engie may seem beta to some (and may be) but perhaps in that we find that this class has more build and play diversity than any other class I have found. It requires extraordinary active play to balance combinations and kits but a lot of fun and quite well powered, actually.

Not quite sure what the complaint is really.

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Engie may seem beta to some (and may be) but perhaps in that we find that this class has more build and play diversity than any other class I have found. It requires extraordinary active play to balance combinations and kits but a lot of fun and quite well powered, actually.

Not quite sure what the complaint is really.

i play turrets this week on wvw (bunkerized) and got fun but turret dont got movement or breack stun or stability, i dont want play kit bunker every time in wvw or nade HgH
and never see a gadget build who worked (A.E.D its useless 40s CD untrait)

if Anet can give some boon on gadget and turret (and fix the know bug) we can talk on build diversity

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

Beta, Beta, Beta

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

To me there is a lot unrefined gunk in nearly every classes traits and skills that yet need to be cleaned out. The Engineer isn’t any different, but it’s much better then it used to be. If that is the reason it feels like a beta to you, then I can see where it’s coming from. It often takes a long time for any MMO to make everything feel polished and clean, and few ever actually do it. The system GW2 has is actually noticeably more difficult to polish and clean too as it’s much more open. You can very much have a lot of gunk left to clean up and yet have a very viable and working class with many effective builds.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper