Beta Weekend Scrapper Feedback Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: RunicAura.9860

RunicAura.9860

“Kodama.6453:
A new idea I got for an added class mechanic.
Since Anet seems to want to improve the ability to combo for engineers, maybe something like that:
As long as you don’t use your function gyro, it will encircle you. Whenever you are standing inside of a combo field, it will collect its essence and grant a unique effect
water field: pulsing healing for allies nearby (just allies so we don’t improve the sustain any more for scrapper)
lightning field: pulsing small aoe damage
aether field: pulsing random boons
smoke field: pulsing stealth for 1s each second
poison field: pulsing random conditions
dark field: whenever you get hit in melee range, you steal life from the foe
that’s all I had so far, maybe some suggestions for missing fields?
Just like combo finishers, it should just provide 1 effect at the same time. So we will not be able to stack multiple combo fields on us to get “super strong buffs”.
Would also have some needed synergy with some of the new utility skills, cause half of them have a toolbelt skill which will provide a combo field. And each destroyed gyro will be a combo field too.
Thoughts?
Ok I find this idea very interesting. Though I would like to see something abit more active. So as a passive effect giving a buff based on field that you are in sounds good. As an active part the ability to absorb or copy a field into the gyro for later use sounds interesting to me. And a unique skill that isn’t offered in other professions.
You could have a button that when pressed copy a friendly field or absorbs an enemy’s field thus cleansing the area.
You would maintain the passive buff for being in an allied field. But also get something from the stored field.
Once the field was stored maybe it offers it’s own buff. Or perhaps allows the gyro to attack the engineer’s target with small bolts of that field type.
To exchange fields you would have to drop the field which would have an effect and release the field into the area the gyro is. A short cool down would be needed before you can copy or absorb a new field.”
One of the ideas from https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/What-new-Mechanic-would-you-like/first#post5563876 Where there are other ideas for a new mechanic for scrapper.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Hammer Engi is fun. It feels weird to be able to be so aggressive on my engi without having to rely on certain other melee-oriented boons from my group. Let’s be honest that the melee playstyle overall is fun. Ranged style/pirate shipping isn’t as fun, which is why we saw a lot of complaints by melee players to the stability change. Hammer Engi is more fun without the gyros. :/

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

Posted by: Klmor.1250

Klmor.1250

Hello.I was able to test Scrapper in every aspect of the game for a while (except wvw).First of all; i had a theory crafted-tanky raid build with some decent dps output.We went into raid with my guild and it was awesome.Had some synergy with traits, foods and skills.Even at some point i was able to tank 3 guardians like few minutes alone (Vale Guardian’s second phase) while everyone else is dead.Survival was insane.Lets get into some details;

• Hammer skills are overall fine except #3.Its clunky and misses target sometimes.And auto attack needs more damage and longer might duration.
  • Gyros were bad as everyone expected.I used Medic Gyro in raids to test it, it was not bad especially toolbelt skill works good with Hammer #3 and some blasts.Yeah Healing Turret can do the same job but a water field arround yourself feels amazing.Tested Bulwark Gyro also, it wasn’t too bad but don’t think i will swap my kits with that.Plus gyros can’t keep up with me properly and move to enemies sometimes.
  • Traits; Final Salvo doesn’t really deserve to be a grandmaster trait.And Impact Savant has to be reworked because outgoing stun duration is pretty much useless.Other traits are fine so far.Just Mass Momentum-Juggernaut combo wasn’t that good as i thought.Event after FT auto attack boost, its still mediocre.
  • Superspeed needs some tweaks, we have tons of superspeed yeah its fine but it doesn’t work well right now.Since duration doesn’t stack.
  • Function Gyro; think i had some succesful ressurects with that but in pvp, i couldn’t stomp anyone.It just moves arround the downed enemy mindlessly.

in Engineer

Posted by: Darkddmaster.4695

Darkddmaster.4695

It has been pretty good, but the Gyro’s just seem to be too short lived. The toolbelt skill for the medic gyro feels like it should have a small heal on it maybe? Also I would feel better if the medic gyro lived longer few more heal pulses, with a smaller initial heal? The hammer feels great though!

in Engineer

Posted by: WeedyZeGreedy.8635

WeedyZeGreedy.8635

“Kodama.6453:
A new idea I got for an added class mechanic.
Since Anet seems to want to improve the ability to combo for engineers, maybe something like that:
As long as you don’t use your function gyro, it will encircle you. Whenever you are standing inside of a combo field, it will collect its essence and grant a unique effect
water field: pulsing healing for allies nearby (just allies so we don’t improve the sustain any more for scrapper)
lightning field: pulsing small aoe damage
aether field: pulsing random boons
smoke field: pulsing stealth for 1s each second
poison field: pulsing random conditions
dark field: whenever you get hit in melee range, you steal life from the foe
that’s all I had so far, maybe some suggestions for missing fields?
Just like combo finishers, it should just provide 1 effect at the same time. So we will not be able to stack multiple combo fields on us to get “super strong buffs”.
Would also have some needed synergy with some of the new utility skills, cause half of them have a toolbelt skill which will provide a combo field. And each destroyed gyro will be a combo field too.
Thoughts?
Ok I find this idea very interesting. Though I would like to see something abit more active. So as a passive effect giving a buff based on field that you are in sounds good. As an active part the ability to absorb or copy a field into the gyro for later use sounds interesting to me. And a unique skill that isn’t offered in other professions.
You could have a button that when pressed copy a friendly field or absorbs an enemy’s field thus cleansing the area.
You would maintain the passive buff for being in an allied field. But also get something from the stored field.
Once the field was stored maybe it offers it’s own buff. Or perhaps allows the gyro to attack the engineer’s target with small bolts of that field type.
To exchange fields you would have to drop the field which would have an effect and release the field into the area the gyro is. A short cool down would be needed before you can copy or absorb a new field.”
One of the ideas from https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/What-new-Mechanic-would-you-like/first#post5563876 Where there are other ideas for a new mechanic for scrapper.

I really like the idea of a circling drone as well, Scrapper really needs more than a silly pvp only feature. I like your idea with the fields, might actually consider using mortar kit then.

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Gyro’s.

They’re almost all worthless.

-The Bulwark and Sneak Gyro cannot keep up with simple moving around. They will even make weird pathing and sometimes move away from me for no apparent reason. Being just out of range for the next pulse is a consistent problem. Atleast PvE mobs don’t seem to interested in attacking Gyro’s, they die very fast in a pvp setting.

-Shredder Gyro is far to weak. It hardly does any damage. In a full knight + zerker trinket set, i had a Boar eat a full Shredder Gyro + nr5 on Hammer. The Boar was still at 60% hp when the Gyro expired, and i think the bulk of the damage came from hammer 5. Completely worthless.

-Blast Gyro has massive pathing issues. It’ll just charge right past the target i hit to go to where the target was when i tagged it in the first place. It struggles with terrain as well.
It’s far to easy to counter-play. If the dart misses/dodged/block/invl/whatever, the Gyro comes out and just sits there like a kittenant doing nothing. The Gyro itself can of course also be mitigated by all these things, except block.
Considering the difficulty i had to land this thing on an enemy i find it’s range disapointingly small, it’s damage lackluster and besides a CC it has no utility. It’s not even a Blast-finisher. Cooldown is entirely to long as well, i’d sooner use the Mine.

-Healing Gyro is actually the only one that might be worth using. If only for the fact it has no cast time. So you get your healing instantly, and can use it while CCd. Same for the toolbelt ability.

-Function Gyro is just worthless. The range is so short, the cooldown way to long. And it takes twice as long to actually stomp. It’s very squishy, someone getting stomped by this can probably just kill it before it finishes, even if it did stomp as fast as a player.

Traits

Some good synergy exists, it’s an okay traitline overall.

Hammer

It’s damage seems to be in a decent spot. But it lacks mobility. A 1000range leap with 2 delays along the way, on a 10sec cooldown is not going to help to much to get you to and stick to a target. It has decent defensive capabilities, especially against projectiles, and it feels good that everything also doubles as a damage ability.
However i can see the Scrapper get kited around very easily, it hasn’t got enough mobility and nothing to slow a target down.

The only CC is a stun on a 24sec cd, that doesn’t help much to keep people from running away and kiting you. On top of it being very telegraphed and fairly easy to avoid.

(edited by Terrahero.9358)

in Engineer

Posted by: Spleen.7836

Spleen.7836

I find it very hard to revive someone with function gyro. Even when not on cooldown, my character always kneels to revive my allies without using the f gyro.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anodyne.5724

Anodyne.5724

Engineer main and waiting with baited breath for the Scrapper! Love the hammer, like the idea of gyros but the execution is off. Cross posting from my reddit post for visibility for Irenio and colleagues.

Hammer
Auto – feels okay, damage could stand to be a bit beefier
2 – Works fine, but the yellow orb flash effect is odd. Would look cleaner as a physical spin (whirl finisher 1) and then an small electric effect spin (whirl finisher 2)
3 – its just clunky as everyone has said. The zig-zag movement and jumping past people is awkward, unpredictable and lets it down. At present it seems to jump to your right, then back to the middle (not over to the left) then directly forwards. There are lots of ways you could go with it but I guess the pathing is causing trouble. Either you leap directly towards, in a line, three times to a distant foe or you keep the diagonal movement but stops when you get to the target. Leaping past people is funny, but its a gap closer rather than dodging skill, though it does have a few evade frames. It might help if the three leaps were shorter successively – 600/400/200 or the like.
4 – I can’t put my finger on it, but it feels like its not blocking for long enough or the animation is a bit delayed – would be snappier as a reactive dodge if this delay was removed.
5 – seems fine!

Gyros

What they do is fine, they just aren’t doing it in game. The AI isn’t fit for purpose and having a minion run over to a target of its choosing to heal it/purge it fails compared to something just healing a target with no physical movement. Simplest fix would be to match the turret skill/toolbelt skill pattern and have the Medic/Purge/Sneak/Bulwark gyros follow the player closely. I can’t convey this enough. I’d recommend the following:

• base state – utility skill e.g. ‘Purge Gyro’ and toolbelt skill ‘Chemical Field’
  • after using utility skill the Purge Gyro acticates and orbits you with the AoE based on you, the toolbelt skill flip to ‘Purge Gyro Self-Destruct’ and your utility skill flips to a ground targeted ‘Deply Purge Gyro’ and the bot then zips over to that player chosen location, with AoE centred on itself and is destructible (ideally not just by passive AoE damage).
  • when activated or deployed the cooldown starts in the background, toolbelt skill has independent cooldown.

This would work for Medic, Purge, Sneak and Bulwark without any need for other changes given the lateness of the beta in development cycle. Blast and Shredder already don’t have issues with AI (heh) but would fit the above pattern with minimal work, as below. It would make sense, imo, for the fields generated by detonating gyros to be themed – Medic → water, Shredder → lightning, Blast → fire, Bulwark → light and Purge → poison.

• Medic – Pattern change as above; just heal more or nerf Healing Turret. Could strip the AoE heal for base use and on deploying do more healing than HT but in smaller AoE so you get a surge of healing giving it a niche.
  • Purge – Pattern change as above; for a power build the poison is a bit pointless outside weakness and we can trait for that. Maybe a toolbelt light field instead (for retaliation); condi-clear is fine as active if it has more fuel (…). I guess it would be an alternative for elxir gun, sorta, for builds with no condi stats.
  • Bulwark – AI change as above, fine tune total health as needed
  • Shredder – I really like it! But too unpredictable :/. Why not have ‘overcharge’ ability as a ground target stationary spin-to-win and the main skill Shredder Gyro Tag and the bot runs after them (and benefits from swiftness etc). Moar damage plz.
  • Blast – does what it needs to, it moves a bit weirdly at times and the deploying animation could be more interesting. The overcharge ability could be change target to your current target so you could fake out people.
  • Sneak – Pattern change as above… sorta. Either it has perma-stealth, stays visible and has better tracking AI and movespeed or it changes to a different setup. E.g. active gives Mass Invisibility to 5 people and you can overcharge it for a small targeted AoE stealth effect (for a short duration); or you stealth yourself indefinitely and the overcharge is Mass Invisibility. Hard to know if this can be balanced to be honest, it’s stepping on too many toes already.

Function Gyro

Needs to work on NPCs!

in Engineer

Posted by: northlion.7608

northlion.7608

My first impressions are that the Gyro’s are a bit slow and die pretty fast. If you are running with swiftness, like most engi’s do with streamlined kits the gyro’s don’t catch up properly.

The rocket charge on Hammer nr3 is a neat skill, but Iv noticed sometimes an impact unfortunately gets wasted on ambient creatures instead of the actual enemy.
The CD’s on the hammer are pretty decent and it’s a fun weapon to Play, altough the Auto attack is a bit boring in my opinion, so at the moment I use all the 4 skills and then switch back to another kit for autoattacking.

The Traits in the scrapperline have great synergy with the close range ones in the firearms traitline which is very enjoyabe.

All in all a fun class to play except for the gyro’s which seem a bit clunky for now

in Engineer

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

I feel like the rate at which shredder gyro triggers whirl finisher is excessive. Once every second would be more reasonable.
Especially while the hammer already has a whirl finisher on a 6s cooldown.

(edited by Gilgalas.7860)

in Engineer

Posted by: Daedalus.1437

Daedalus.1437

I really liked the look of the gyros when we first saw them in the trailer. The way they have been implemented in the game however doesn’t seem very good, in fact I would prefer a complete overhaul of the way gyros work in the game, otherwise I don’t see myself using any of them. The one I tried the most was the Shedder, which can stack up some burning if used on a firefield, but what would I switch it out for? It just doest compare very well to many of the other possible utilities avaliable.
The hammer however is really good. The only skill I have some concerns about is the number #3 skill. I can use it on any enemies who have any cleave attack or aoe fields since you don’t dodge in between jumps, and the time between jumps is too much, as it is now at least.

in Engineer

Posted by: NeroBoron.7285

NeroBoron.7285

Hammer
General:
The Hammer itself feels in a good place as a defensive weapon. The damage is a decent, maybe a little bit too low.

Autoattach Chain: Is fine for me even we wont get that much out of might and vuln since we won’t sit on a taget and spam autoattacks whole time. Yes the auto attack isn’t that strong, but okay for a defensive weapon.

Electrowhile: Seems to have a precast which ruins the conterplay. Effect is there but doesn’t reflect instantly. Also the Aoe could be a little bit bigger like a radius of 200~300. So you can protect your friends as well. (Just like with Magnetic Wave or Ring of Earth)

Rocket Charge:
This one needs a lot of work, even the mechanic is cool.
First the evade should cover the whole attack duration. Currently it only evaded about the first and maybe the second hit. So enemys can prepare a burst right after the second hit easily. Further the hits are imprecise and miss really often in a pvp / wvw fight.
I think the leap speed should be increased or the time between the hits decreased i’m not sure of it what is it but it doesn’t feel right. It doesn’t even work well as an escape because it is so slow, when running the way you kinda leave the same distance behind you in the same time.The damage should be buffed it feels like it deals similar or even less damage then the auto attack chain.

Schockshield:
Also this skill suffers from some sort of precast like electro while. I had many situations where i saw an burst skill uncomming used the block saw the electro shield infront of me but still got the damage of the burst skill. The animation should be reworked and should show that you also block attacks from behind. Further how about make this skill also a ranged skill? So you can block a ranged attack while still hitting back on range?

Thunderclap:
Initial strike damage should be way stronger like doubled or tripled.

Gyros
First: I’ll get to the function gyro in the trait section.
I mostly play wvw and pvp and for me the gyros are currently pretty use less and another ai crap, there are other skills way better. But okay I’ll get to some gyros I testet:

Medic Gyro: Won’t replace my healing turret in that way. Never. To high cd, to less heal, if the gyro itself would apply an aoe water field every 3 seconds it has maybe some higher potential. Also another heal on the toolbelt skill would be necessary for a replacement of heal turret to comensate the high cooldown. Ohh and it follows way to slowly so it misses nearly all aoe pulse heals on me.

Bulwark Gyro: Just take a look at Phantasmal Defender, lesser cd and no life-time-duration. Further you can have multiple Phantasmal Defender while this isn’t possible here.

Shredder Gyro: For PvP and WvW this is crap, maybe this could be usefull if you can move it around with using the skill another time. Also the direct damage could be increased. But I see some potential for pve here.

Sneak Gyro: Has the same problem as the medic gyro: it follows way to slowly and isn’t sticky. Also it dies really quickly already vs a single target, even i’m not sure if that is bad or good i wanted to mention this. I guess I would like a shorter duration and a shorter cooldown on this so we can use it more frequently. The toolbelt skill is a great conter of course.

Traits
Function Gyro:
The mechanic is really nice, but:.
It has a delay before starting res/stomp if i downed somebody and press F twice so both my gyro and i will finish i’m about 1~2 seconds quicker.
It has to less health and can be killed really easily already by a single person. Without stability of that gyro I could even kill a gyro that was stomping me, which makes it completly worthless if that is possible!!! Further the cd is way to high. Could be like 0~15 seconds. So we would really have a benevit of this mechanic. Else we always have to check out is this skill rdy again? Or do I have to ran to my friend to res him.

Decisive Renown:
Hmm I think this should be merged in Stabilization Core.

Impact Savant:
Uhm does the really only effect Stuns? If yes this should effect knockdown, knockbacks and dazes as well. On the warriors hammer trait this is explicit listed

Schocking Speed:
Not sure about this trait, the access to light fields is really limited also this one has a internal cooldown of 10 seconds and super speed currently doesn’t stack in duration. (Should stack in duration like 3~5 times anyway)
Maybe make it like soothing detonation so that it works with any kind of field.

Stabilization Core:
This one is helpful as mentioned above Decisive Renown should be merged in this.
Even without this trait you can for example use flash shell on your downed target and then stomp with your gyro. So it’s doesn’t a must have. Even if could imagine that the function gyro could gain a single stack of stability as base line.
Recovery Matrix:
This one is great with a short cooldown heal skill. Again you wouldn’t pick this when running the medic gyro.

Rapid Regeneration:
Didn’t testet it. I only ran builds with mechalegs so no swiftness for me.

Expert Examination:
Is fine but should also work on knockbacks and knockdowns

Mass Momentum:
This one is in a good place, the base might duration could be like 8 seconds.

Adaptive Armor:
I guess I would prefere a condition duration reduction so this works against non-damaging conditions as well.

Final Salvo:
For a grand master this one isn’t really good, the field should deal damage and maybe even daze the opponent or leave something like a static field. Also it should effect gyro cooldown.

Perfectly Weighted:
Hammer cooldown reduction please

General:
Can’t decide between Adaptive Armor and Perfectly Weighted, both are handy in bigger fights

Edit: oh well I forgot about the toolbelt on bulkward. Maybe with that one and with having it perma it would be fine.

Also to mention I’m not sure about stability sourced in zerg fights. Another aoe stability skill would have been nice :/

(edited by NeroBoron.7285)

in Engineer

Posted by: miriforst.1290

miriforst.1290

It seems like the hammer 3 skill leaps you straight ahead in the direction that you are facing with the initial leap, meaning it does not leap towards your actual target.

This leads to the first strike missing a lot of the time and displacing you.

And the function gyro (okay most of the gyros) are just laughable. As expected. I use it more like a gw2 version of team fortress taunt kills as of now.

Just a little feedback concerning the targeting of the function gyro, reviving allies is easy because we can just walk up to them and press F, when doing this at range in a chaotic environment it costs us time to properly target them.

The thing with gyros in general is the triple limiter mentality that have gone into them. Short duration, destructibility and long cooldowns do not work well together if the effects are not absolutely spectacular.

About their AI, despite the many valid complaints about nonsensical copy and paste mechanics leading to stealth gyros believing it can attack people and so on i do see the vision here, the heal gyro provides a initial decent heal and then it acts like the condi cleansing gyro and zipps along to a wounded ally to heal them up while also healing itself. It also heals other gyros meaning it could keep you and your bulwark alive a little longer. Its fun standing still in the training areas of heart of the mist and deploy them to see how they act. But they do not last long enough (even if not destroyed prematurely) to fill this role. And even if longer lasting they would still be destroyed quickly.

Also on a side note i would recommend making the cleansing gyro AOE similar to the healgyro so that it can also cleanse itself.

in Engineer

Posted by: LockeLiefather.1085

LockeLiefather.1085

At first I was overwhelmed with scrapper, mainly because I play FT since release (pre start even) and was really hoping for forge. Idea of engineer in some kind of fire fuelled power armour speaks to mi like no other, and then I saw electric themed Scrapper and couldn’t find anything to do with my current hybrid condi/power/vit/toughness/prec/ferocity build. But as time goes by, I’m starting to like it a lot!

First things first, forget tools and fire arms on this spec, it synergies extremely well with elixirs and inventions. You can make either Doctor Jeckyl with stacking might and chugging elixirs with condi cleanse, or mad inventor with turrets giving boons, and damage reduction for each boon, hammer works wonders with thumper turret!

Flamethrower also is good with scrapper traits, but gyros outside of purge and whirling one aren’t really synergizing with condi damage.

Last gyro trait needs a rework. I think to maximize synergy with condi engies it would be great it last trait would give confusion to all lightning fields. It would make great use of offhand hammer for flamethrowers, Elixir gun and nades. Also, you could make some kind of other condition application. For example you can make effect which would go like:

Gyro pours fuel upon death on nearby enemies, and makes them voulnerable to burning by 33%

It can also be simple burning, but you get the idea. We need some condi synergy on scrapper, and this trait would be best to put it there.

But, nothing is ideal. Function Gyro is horrible as a class mechanic. It doesn’t work on NPCs, and bugs all the time. I think it works only with training NPCs in HotM. It’s clunky, feels unrewarding, and would do better as an utility skill than ground breaking spec mechanic. Gyros need AI revamp and speed boost, and need their effect magnified. I personally like healing one, because of it’s instant activation and synergy with 3 leaps on hammer, but after initial use it becomes pretty much useless. As people before me said, bulwark should stick to you all the time, explosive gyro should be faster, whirling one do double whirling finisher. Outside of that it’s pretty rad. I’m glad that I didn’t craft full ascended valkyrie armor, because i’m gonna stick to either full knight’s, or knight’s mixed with rabid for extra burns on FT

in Engineer

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

As others have said the Gyros are really bad – no two ways about it. They run away from you, too slow, die too easily, function gyro taking its sweet time to do the defining class mechanic, or you name it (why does one of the belt skills randomly have just poison when nothing about scrapper says condi damage???). They should have been designed and balanced around behaving as signets instead of giving another round of AI to a class that already had them.

The major talents to me seems pretty good with potential particularly in PvP. This does not include the function gyro which would technically be a trait, or the +stun minor trait (why only stun?).

The hammer is hit and miss:

• The AA chain could possibly be sped up
  • The #2 seems decent enough
  • Again needs sped and cleaned up as it takes too long to complete, and sometimes acts wonky getting stuck or randomly going the wrong way to get to a target (hard to land all the potential damage even on AI).
  • Needs cleaned up to match the block with the firing of the skill, and decided how much of a radius it should block.
  • #5 seems fair enough for being ranged on a melee weapon

Just have to stress again the opening statement of just how bad the Gyros are. I would beg as many have to think about possibly scrapping (yeah, terrible pun) them all together and bringing the skills over as unique signets that still retain the drone graphics, and balanced that way. Probably too late for that (just think if this was in April like Chronomancer :P), but it would be much less of a headache for you going forward. Think about all the AI skills in the game, and ask who is truly happy with them from a general P.O.V.

(edited by Kuju.2153)

in Engineer

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

just throwing something in here, it’s not very accurate but what i noticed when fighting against scrapper was that the sustain in relation to the damage it can deal is too high. now i can’t really say what the build was because i can’t spectate in ranked matches… hope that helps. i also fought against it on multiple classes and builds.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Engineer

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

Notable Issues:

• Gyro Movement in general is terrible. The Function Gyro gets confused easily and this makes it all but pointless. It also has very low health.
  • The Stealth Gyro tries to “attack” enemies and in generally does terribly at keeping up with the player.
  • Shredder Gyro seems pretty worthless because it dies fast if placed on a enemy in PvE and in PvP you can just not stand near it. I don’t think it would be OP if it followed the player and spun around.
  • There’s no stun break on any Gyro. At first I thought the decent access to Stability would be good enough but it isn’t. Maybe have it on the Purge Gyro?
  • Speaking of the Purge Gyro, it seems to get confused and not actually remove conditions as often as it should.
  • Hammer overall is good, but sometimes skill 3 can leap in odd ways and miss for no real reason.
Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in Engineer

Posted by: Los Re.4607

Los Re.4607

Hammer is amazing! But please fix the leap. It’s completely non predictable and most of the time doesn’t hit the target. It feels like the leap always tries to use all the range even if the target is right next to you. I’m pretty sure it didn’t work this way on the stream, am i wrong?

in Engineer

Posted by: Spleen.7836

Spleen.7836

Gyros should stick to the engi and shouldn’t be able to wander, as expected the AI is not good when they move.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Hammer #3

Smoothen the last hit abit so it doesn’t lock us in place. It’s part of why it’s so hard to use as a gap closer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Turin.6921

Turin.6921

Has anyone managed to have the function gyro work today? It did not seem to activete for me the whole morning.

in Engineer

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Gyros are terrible all around. Their toolbelt skills are better.

Hammer is ok but #1 is too weak. Even full zerk it’s weak but that’s my only complaint about it.

Oh and leap is very buggy

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

Some feedback about scrapper:

• Needs more stability.
  • Needs blast finishers.
  • Super Speed needs to stack.
  • Hammer needs more damage.
  • Gyros need to stick better with their master.

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Defensive Shild has not 240 meter Radius on an asura not even 130 did you even test this elite Spec i am so frustrated

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: Coolster.2536

Coolster.2536

I don’t know what everyone’s talking about, Gyros are amazing! I must be in the 0.1% category for saying that. I ran them in both PvE and PvP and didn’t have mass amounts of problems. This was my PvE build I ran and this was my PvP build. I ran with Medic, Bulwark, Blast, and Shredder Gyros with Mortar Kit and used Explosives and Firearms for traits. And I felt very good with this build. Most times when I died, I was either outnumbered (1v3+) or was the victim of a coordinated burst (Didn’t even have time to dodge) So yeah, now onto my criticisms!

Gyros

First let me start by ranking the gyros by reliability (1 being most reliable):

1. Shredder Gyro
  2. Medic Gyro
  3. Blast Gyro
  4. Bulwark Gyro
  5. Sneak Gyro
  6. Purge Gyro
  7. Function Gyro
  • The Shredder Gyro is, by far, my favorite gyro! It always worked in every situation I used it in and most times, it lasted its full 12s duration in both PvE and PvP! And that Spare Capacitor comes in handy sometimes
  • The Medic Gyro is great for a burst heal, but I don’t know how well it functioned after the initial heal. Judging by its heal radius, it seems to work like the Purge Gyro where it wanders between allies and heals them. This is okay in theory, but if your allies are constantly moving, it makes it hard for the Gyro to keep up and miss the heal. Also enjoyed Reconstruction Field + Rocket Charge. +1 just for the Tool Belt!
  • The Blast Gyro is my second favorite Gyro. It always seemed to hit its mark. Not always, but most times. It even found its targets in stealth! (It would stop moving when the enemy stealthed, but it would resume chase after they came out of it fyi) Never noticed it losing its target or getting confused, but one thing to note, if the tag missed its tagert (i.e. obstructed) the Gyro would still appear, but not do anything. And Bypass coating was super useful getting people to places
  • The Bulwark Gyro didn’t die a whole lot as I was expecting. It didn’t have a lot of problems keeping up with me, either. However, Watchful Eye did have a delayed application on summon, so I’m wondering if its designed like that (i.e. Juggernaut + Flamethrower) or if its AI. I did notice though that the Bulwark would go over and say hey to my enemies or chat with my allies. I okay with it as long as I’m within range of Watchful Eye, so the Bulwark can go call up his boy for all I care. He’s just need to be within range of me. Also love Defense Field and its Projectile hate
  • The Sneak Gyro didn’t see a lot of use with me. But, as everyone has said, its a little slow and sometimes does try to attack enemies.
  • The Purge Gyro also wasn’t very reliable. I once tried to use it while rushing through a bunch of mobs, but it couldn’t keep up with me, so it couldn’t cleanse my torment (pun intended), but Chemical Field wasn’t bad, but doesn’t make me wanna use Purge
  • And finally, the Function Gyro. This one was by far the least reliable. While testing it in the PvP Lobby on the NPCs, if I was on higher ground than my target, the Function Gyro would still spawn at the target’s body, but would run around not knowing what to do. And sometimes it couldn’t stomp. This one time when I was trying to go for a double stomp with the gyro, and the player used his CC downed skill, the gyro endlessly stomped the player, but would never finish him, so I had to do it. It was annoying because I just watched the gyro fail to stomp him 5 times -_- Also, it used the default finisher instead of my finisher.

Hammer

The hammer was fun to play, on par with Reaper Greatsword! I do have some criticisms for it though.

• Positive Strike, Negative Bash, and Equalizing Blow felt slow. I’m okay with the Reaper GS moving slow because it hits like a truck, but this one doesn’t so could it be sped up?
  • Electro-whirl is fun to use, but has one problem: its not a double whirl finisher, only does one whirl!
  • Rocket Charge is fun as kitten! But the first leap always leaps past your target unless your not in melee range
  • Shock Shield is a great defensive skill, but can it get a range increase or an animation change? I always feel like the damage is going to shoot out, but it needs to be within melee range to do any damage
  • Thunderclap is an awesome skill, no changes needed

Traits

The traits are fine, but Impact Savant needs to affect Dazes, not Stuns (or both)

Suggestions

• Increase the speed and/or the radius on the Medic, Purge and/or Sneak Gyros, because the Bulwark Gyro had no trouble keeping up with me, running at normal speed or if we both had Superspeed. Medic and Purge could also become AoE heals and condi cleanses, but that would make them like the Healing Turret
  • Up the damage on the Shredder so it can DPS more
  • Blast Gyro should have a Blast Finisher somewhere on it, just saying…
  • Give Function Gyro a new look, it kinda looks like the Bulwark Gyro
  • Make Function Gyro more reliable and give it something to do in PvE
  • Give Gyros unique effects on destruction so destroying them is fun, i.e. Medic Gyro gives AoE Vigor on death, Sneak leaves AoE Blind, Purge leaves AoE Resistance, Maybe Blast is a Blast Finisher, Bulwark leaves AoE Aegis, and Shredder leaves Aoe Retaliation
  • Speed up Hammer auto attack
  • Decrease Cooldowns so that all Gyro Cooldowns are between 15s and 30s

tl;dr
Hammer is fun, needs minor tweaks. Gyros are NOT 100% useless and fun to use (makes me wonder how other people use them) and could use some adjustments. Function Gyro seriously needs reliability buff.

You Can’t Be A Genius, If You Aren’t The Slightest Bit Insane. B)

(edited by Coolster.2536)

in Engineer

Posted by: KidShogun.8509

KidShogun.8509

Played in WvW some last night, spec’d for frontline duty. Definitely had some fun!

Hammer:
Concur on Hammer #3. Sometimes unpredictable, and that pause at the end is a real problem.

Gyro’s:
almost none of the gyro’s really made me want to use them for the wvw frontline role. Purge one tempted me, for the poison cloud toolbelt skill.

Traits:
Decisive Renown (2nd minor Scrapper trait) — not a fan of this at all. Need something with more utility in this slot, that will actually help you while you are fighting things, like just about every other minor trait out there. Lotsa lost potential in this slot.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nightmare.1234

Nightmare.1234

Hammer is just perfect other than the clunky AA it really don’t feel at all smooth and as minor pauses after swings that need sorting. I have no problems with the damage values as that one weapon packs a lot of very useful utility’s into it and does a great job of controlling a fight and rate it as one of the best weapons in the game so far. (reflects,stuns,blocks,might stacking, vun stacking, leaping x3,whirl etc)

class mechanic. I give irenio credit for doing something different as a mechanic but I cant see it being useful. what about making the bot do something that helps make the stomp and rez easier for you instead of it doing the work like when you go to rez an ally the bot appears above your head as you rubbing and creates a force field around you like guardian sanctuary for rez duration (goes on cd when you stop rubbing) and when used on stomping it creates a flash bang that dazes 5 targets in the close radius for 3 seconds. then goes away on CD. I not expecting some massive mechanic like chronos as I find engi as a lot of utility already and people should realize they have great tools and need leave room for other cool spec stuff in future.

now on to gyros I really like them and their unique flavour but please sort out the AI I really don’t see why these things could just be invulnerable and non targetable not get boons or conditions and just be like a normal utility that just as a cool robot animation for the skill execution. make them ground targetable skills that just go to the location and do a job for a short time then vanish back on CD (don’t need change F skills they pretty cool)

medic gyro – when spawns heals you then goes to an area and pulse out healing waves and grants protection to allies. 5 second duration

bulwark gyro – goes to an area grants damage reduction to allies around it. 5 second duration

blast gyro – goes to an area and beeps for 3 seconds then creates a massive damaging explosion that knocks back and burns foes.

shredder gyro – goes to an area and whirls for 6 seconds doing damage as well, needs damage buff for shorter duration.

purge gyro – goes to an area and pulses out a spray that converts 3 conditions on allies into boons ( or applies maybe resistance instead) and also applies weakness to foes. lasts 5 seconds

sneak gyro – goes to an area and applies 5 seconds of stealth to allies and leaves behind a 5 second dark field. lasts 5 seconds

if you give them all a 1200 range to go to and a nice speed of travel at least they be like readable aoes that you see coming also you can keep the destroy function to blow them up early ( like controllable Mesmer f3 mini dazes) they would need be insta cast to make up for the fact they have to travel to location first.

traits really loving the traits they are brilliant

Death Good

in Engineer

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I played in PvE mostly in the new map.
I also played a bit in regular Tyria, Orr especially.
I set up my armor to be more Valk with Berserker trinkets and Hammer.

Out of all this, I found the Scrapper to be a little less interesting compared to regular Engineer.

Here’s why, the drones are (at best) a disposable turret that doesn’t last long.
At worst I barely recognized they were there and when they weren’t, well nothing of value was lost.

Hammer was fun, but weak. I did decently at cleaning up in groups at Maguuma.
However I didn’t feel like I was making a big impact on damage.
Then again that’s probably colored by the fact we have huge zergs playing in tight corridors right now.

In Orr it was a little more fun, even if the damage was weak.
Still the problems with the gyros are evident: slow, somewhat useful but they can’t compete with the kits we have on hand.

I will say one thing I love about the drones are the F1-5 abilities.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Engineer

Posted by: CuriousMoth.5836

CuriousMoth.5836

Coming at this from a PvE perspective, the only really disappointing thing about the Scrapper is the Gyros. They’re dumb, they get themselves killed, they draw agro and they provide little that I couldn’t already do without the drawback of having AI controlled minions. It would be better if they weren’t targettable / killable at all and their effects balanced accordingly, creating a new kind of minion which would be much more fun to use.

Medic Gyro is an extremely unreliable version of Healing Turret, which can theoretically heal for more in total, but lacks condition removal and will almost certainly die before it gets a chance to provide its maximum healing. The toolbelt skill is good, I just wish there wasn’t a Gyro attached to it.

Blast Gyro looks good on the surface, until you actually try it and soon realise it cannot critically hit, making it a weak skill with a long cooldown. The toolbelt skill is not particularly useful in PvE.

Bulwark Gyro is just a really, really bad version of Phantasmal Defender. In PvE, you can get over 20,000 health per defender and churn them out for non-stop protection against all but the highest damage. Bulwark Gyro will never have that kind of sustainability. Its toolbelt skill is alright, but Elixir U is better in PvE due to its much longer duration.

Purge Gyro just doesn’t do enough to warrant a utility slot. I don’t see why I would want it over Elixir C. When I can convert a bunch of conditions to boons in an area as soon as it is needed, why would I want a random AI to gradually remove conditions? Like Bulwark, it’s a really, really bad version of Phantasmal Disenchanter. It acts slower than the phantasm, its condition removal doesn’t even bounce, and it doesn’t remove boons from enemies. It’s trash. Just utter, utter trash. The toolbelt skill, while fairly good for condi builds, isn’t nearly enough to consider wasting a utility slot for this supreme garbage.

Shredder Gyro… speaking of garbage. This is the single worst Gyro of the lot, and they’re all pretty terrible. It does virtually no damage and whirl finishers, even 24 of them, are really ineffective. You drop it down, put napalm on top of it, hope for at least half the bolts to hit so you can say it’s ‘at least as good as Fire Bomb in total burn duration’, but it doesn’t land its bolts well enough, each bolt isn’t an AoE and your hammer is already providing all the short-duration lightning fields you need, so the toolbelt skill isn’t particularly valuable either.

Sneak Gyro is way too slow and stupid to compete with better forms of stealth application for things like dungeon running and it’s not particularly useful outside of that role in PvE. Its toolbelt skill is completely useless. The only reason I say Shredder is worse than this is because it has some limited potential in PvE, while Shredder has none.

It’s a bit too late to just delete the Gyros and go back to the drawing board, but as I mentioned at the start of this post, you could probably salvage them by taking them out of combat entirely and rebalancing them, so their AI and squishiness isn’t an issue. You’d think a speedy little gyro would be able to evade attacks and fly above the combat anyway.

in Engineer

Posted by: RollFzzlbeef.4092

RollFzzlbeef.4092

After giving it some testing time, I’m not going to lie. Scrapper feels like it was designed for pvp and little else. From the gyros to the rocket charge it just looks and plays like it’s trying to throw off another player from targeting you and the like. A bit annoying for those of us who just play pve content, but I digress.

for the most part Hammer is quite a bit of fun and plays excessively well with the FT. Hammer 1 damage I think should get at least a 10% bump in damage, as with it’s swing speed my Rifle currently hits harder than a hammer swing, and rifle hits quicker.

Rocket charge does need to be tweaked a bit, some have mentioned the 2nd leap regularly misses it’s target, and the camera shimmy sham that happens with it is a bit startling. There’s also the matter of getting knocked out of RC, so the i-frames may need to be tuned for it as well, will need to test more.

Shield is pretty much as stated above, unless you’re looking directly at your target it won’t block anything, toolkit gearshield is still the bees knees and it feels like a poorly implemented attempt to give an alternative for it.

Gyros……oh boy here go:

My first question is why, why is it that we get a pvp ability as the main class mechanic. and even then it’s slower than the regular moving and actions it’s supposed to do?

This thread is already pretty good one why the gyros are so utterly underwhelming, and no amount of patches or fixes will make them worthwhile compared to our other kits. I’m sorry, I’m not taking a stealth gyro that can’t keep up and decides it has other places to be over supply crate or mortar, when I can just get my thief buddy to SR and get that sweet stealth. I’m not going to pull out a bulwark gyro just for some protection when I can shout at my guardian and get free aegis to reduce incoming damage and all the protection I could want. Those are just a couple examples mind you.

tempest gets group support with overloads
Zerks catch on fire and ruin your living room
Druids go fluid
Chronos rewind time
Reapers get a new shroud and spinny scythe
Thief dodges forever like a ninja
Guards go hunting

And engi….gets a clunky pvp ability marred with pathing errors and slow movement speed, with a shockingly low health pool. Leaving us with the same token of “go nades or go home if you wanna be relevant”

I dunno, just seems like there was a cool idea, and it only got half finished before another project came along and the response was “eh, it’ll do. we’ll fix it later”

One thing I’m not seeing mentioned anywhere is diminishing returns. On another player, dazes and stuns can go for days, but on bosses and enemies it’s going to be far less effective. During long fights and the like wont they just stop being dazed and stunned altogether, making you sweet daze machine utterly useless?

Sans Hammer, engi is still stuck in the same rut of “everything you can do, another class does it better and easier”

Rip and Tear

in Engineer

Posted by: SchiTown.7598

SchiTown.7598

A static discharge build using the gyros seemed like it would be pretty fun, but I found out quickly it wasn’t going to happen. Like any other non-targeted ability the bolts just go straight into the ground unless you aim with your camera. There is also no tracking. Is this really working as intended? Or just too lazy to fix the bug because you think people are all content playing HGH?

Other than that, as other people have said hammer 3 is pretty clunky. Why not just program this like 3 heart seekers after one another? It would prevent the issue of the engi charging in bad directions. It’s supposed to be a gap closer but a large amount of the time it just makes chasing a person harder.

Spoon Girl

in Engineer

Posted by: redwing.9580

redwing.9580

I’m a wvw player and this is my opinion

the hammer feels amazing and does what you said you wanted it to do extremely well the only problem for me is some times when I am out of combat and I use the 3 skill to move faster it will target ambient creatures and make me fly off towards it instead of going foward though I suppose that is more a limit of the game in general

I feel like the supportive gyros (stealth, medic, purge, and bulwack) should behave more like the glint skills instead of being the buggy ai that they (giving us a passive that we can turn on then deactivate). and all of the gyros in general feel they lack the amount of health needed to really be able to do there job i.e. a worker in wvw came over to one of my gyros and one shot it.

the only complaint I have for the traits is that I feel the stability with function gyro trait should effect all of the gyros to allow more synergy with the other traits

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Gyros unreliable? First two minors not worth it?

Must…resist…. mustn’t say…told you so

Get over yourself.

Everyone knew that there were plenty of issues.

We were hoping that some of them would be fixed beforehand, but if the past two weeks has taught us anything, it is that pretty much everyone wanted to re-write half the class immediately after seeing what it can do.

in Engineer

Posted by: Awolf.9123

Awolf.9123

I liked the feel of Scrapper, and how mobile it was on the battlefield. However, Gyros are really clunky with this feel, and I ended up using none of them. Blast Gyro’s long channel time detracts from the quick, mobile feel of the scrapper.

As well, function gyro is essentially useless in PvE thanks to the clunky method by which you send it out to revive people, which is targeting them and pressing F. It could be made more useful by increasing the actions it can perform. For example : picking up Elementalist weapons and ambient weapons. As well, it could also potentially be used to gather resources from nodes.

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

hammer is ok (it is a direct damage weapon like rifle ) .gyros : i liked sneak gyros in pvp and also the all the other toolbet skills from gyros.

Blast Gyro is good but it should be a blast finisher and it should move a little more. ( Throw Mine is much better as a static thing )

Shredder Gyro is completely useless : nobody is so stupid to stay attached to it to take damage from it .The really good thing for me is its toolbet skill (very strong with hammer2 )

Purge Gyro … can works ok , but elixir gun is much better , while have i to chose this ? give me an idea
Medic GYro seems ok but you should add a blast to his detonation so that we can blast it in his water field , without a blast finisher in fact its toolbet skill seems meaningless
Bulwark Gyro I don’t understand for which reason i need it
Snaek Gyro : simply great, i love it and its toolbet skill
In any case i liked the all thing : the hammer is something new and fresh and even gyros are in any case something new. The real thing missing is the blast on medic gyro explosion … for the others, sneak a part, there is the problem that there is no real need for them… ok , it is fun to play something new but kits and elixirs remain( in my opinion) the best resourses of eng by far

(edited by PierPiero.9142)

in Engineer

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

scrapper is nice and balanced for me.
pls dun nerf.

i did not try out gyros so i dunno much about them.

the basic revive / stomp gyro is nice.

i like the hammer skills, very, very much.
both the master and grand master hammer traits energize well.

too bad i can’t pick 4 specializations otherwise i would have gone

tools, alchemy, invention, scrapper.

i tried out

alchemy, invention, scrapper and it works for me, well, in hotjoin casual testing at least.

in Engineer

Posted by: Milan.9035

Milan.9035

My thoughts….
The hammer is fun. Feels tanky but i do wish damage was a little better and smoother.

The gyros are just garbage. Their f skills are amazing. I wish you just made gyros a kit with only the f skills insted of the gyros.

I know its too late to change them completely but i really wish you guys would have revealed the scrapper long time ago so we could tell you how bad it is before. I think everyone wishes they were just basic boring signets insted of spirit weapons. And the times you guys mentioned fuel makes me think you guys had other ideas for them but ended up scrapping it…. omg thats how you guys got the name…i bed you had lots of different ideas that you scrapped.

But its not that bad. I mean if you delete the gyros and say that engi already has enough moves and we get nothing i would still be happy with just hammer.

Oh and the function gyro… when you describe it to me its amazing. When i see it in gameplay…..its like just a surprise move. You have no idea what it will do, stomp, rezz, or something completely random or nothing. Make it do what you said it will do and it will be cool.

in Engineer

Posted by: Slaymeding.9584

Slaymeding.9584

Tried a very tanky and decently aggressive HGH build along with the usual elixir S and X,it feels so great overall and the hammer skills are very,very useful.

Gyros have a couple problems,they cant keep up with my movement.
Every time i leave the sneak gyro it just stops dead for a solid second and then tries to keep up,gyros being locked to your character (not including blast and shredder ofc) would be pretty useful.

Hammer #3 is a treat to use but needs some polishing,the leaps miss half the time if the enemy is moving,could use the animaton sort of Heartseeker does because sometimes you end up away from the enemy.
Not exactly the same since the idea is to flash around and ride a rocket sort of out of control,but you get the idea.
Can be changed in to a 3 phase chain,1-push 1-leap,the CD starts after you use the 3rd leap.

Bulwark is better than i expected,yet still lacks a bit on the tankiness.

Blast gyro is pretty good but needs either a speed boost to it or a very slight CD reduction because its very easily avoidable and lacks a little from the kamikaze feeling.
Doesnt really push anyone on the edge or make them consider sacrificing their “oh crap” buttons.

Purge gyro may see use if it doesnt get sniped or cleaved,the condi cleansing output is pretty solid,yet its so vulnerable you dont want to release the lil guy out of pity.
If released instantly in combat while you bombard the enemy with stuns and dazes,its potentially good.

One thing that made me fall in love is the moving water field of medic gyro,its a babe.

Shock shield needs a slight work on its animation but it is pretty good,denying an Ele out for his ride the lightning/updraft combo have never been that satisfying.Especially if you retaliate back with a ton of dazes and a happy hour of hammering.

Hammer AA could use a slight attack speed buff,if not on the whole chain,just the last strike because you dont really get to pull the chain off while youre moving around so fast as in the nature of engineer.

One fatal error is that why do we get stun duration increase,while we have few stuns but loaded with dazes?
Someone in the office was out of coffee on a long day when that was made it seems.

Edit:Can Experimental Turrets trait affect gyroes too?I dont really care about the buffs but the reflective bubbles would be game-changing for the gyroes.

Could not be an Engineer IRL so i’ve become one in Tyria.

(edited by Slaymeding.9584)

in Engineer

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I feel like the supportive gyros (stealth, medic, purge, and bulwack) should behave more like the glint skills instead of being the buggy ai that they (giving us a passive that we can turn on then deactivate). and all of the gyros in general feel they lack the amount of health needed to really be able to do there job i.e. a worker in wvw came over to one of my gyros and one shot it.

This is actually an interesting way to work with what we’ve got.
Glint Rev’s facets are just FUN and really helpful not only in groups, but individual play.

If we could get gyros to work like mechanical facets, the Scrapper would be loads of fun.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Engineer

Posted by: Are.1326

Are.1326

Function Gyro does not have priority over talking to NPCs. This is a big problem with having our class mechanic on the F key >.<

in Engineer

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Not an engie (though I have an engie alt), but I feel the gyros are very underwhelming. I’m not sure what the point of the purge gyro is. Why not just merge that one with the medic and then create a new one that is more useful?

Hammer is loads of fun. A bit on the slow side though.

in Engineer

Posted by: quercus.9261

quercus.9261

running this in WvW and it is just not working. Not tanky enough to frontline and the gyros go down in seconds. I just got face-tanked by a necro with a GS who cleaved my gyros and downed me like a L5 uplevel.

Not sure how you can fix this… I think engie and Ranger might be hosed due to the AI of pets and gyros

in Engineer

Posted by: Shtos Vant.4182

Shtos Vant.4182

WvW Scrapper Hammer
(Melee-specific functionality)

Setting:
Kaineng (overachieving server), Warrior/Guardian my mains, after 4 hours straight on reset night:

Camp Flips:
Hammer too weak to flip camps. Bomb kit still completely out damages it v. NPCs.
Bomb kit (Comparable melee range) not only has 37% higher base AA damage, but larger area of effect and hits 5 instead of 3 targets on the same 1/2sec attack interval.

1v1
-Hammer has acceptable damage mitigation with the projectile reflection and mobile block.
-Stun on Thunderclap good, field large enough to compensate for 3/4 sec cast
-Rocket Charge leap good for damage mitigation only. Does not hit a human player unless they are afk.
-Requires non-hammer toolbelt skills or utility skills to significantly damage opponents.

Small group encounters (5v5 or so):
-Rocket Charge here is a solid play, as you are evading and there are enough targets for the random location hits to land on something.
-Blocks and reflects work well, and the Thunderclap field/stun are nice area control.

Zerg Encounters:
-No inherent stability (GM Skill Perfectly Weighted stability feature for hammer completely unpredictable = useless)
-No passive block or condi reduction. You need a Guardian in your toolbelt.
-Hammer is useless for Zerg combat. You will be cc’d and wiped in melee instantly.

Overall thoughts:
The following changes would make the Hammer a viable WvW melee weapon:
1. Make the base AA damage slightly higher than Bomb Kit’s AA.
-With the Perfectly Weighted GM skill +10% damage, it becomes a higher damage/fewer target option to Bomb kit.

2. Change Rocket Charge to a single leap, with evade, similar to the various leaps that Warrior and Guardian weapons have.
-While the leaping around effects are interesting, WvW is about function, not aesthetics.

3. Change Perfectly Weighted GM Skill to one of the following combinations:
a. Grant Stability on hit, 1 stack for 3s, 1 sec ICD, 25 stack cap
b. 10% Damage increase, 20% cooldown (Guardian hammer can be a leap AND blast every 4 sec)
c. +10% Crit Chance, Change the AA Positive Strike from Might on first hit to Stability 2 stacks 3s.

Other thoughts:
-If gyros get locked to player (like banner effects) then they could be considered. As is, they are useless.
-I found no evidence that “Function Gyro” existed or worked.
-Gyro toolbelt skills are excellent
-Super speed is useless in WvW. Haste would be an excellent replacement.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Having fun on Kaineng [SKY]

in Engineer

Posted by: Caesteris.7529

Caesteris.7529

Hammer is wonderful, I have no complaints about hammer except maybe make the leaps on 3 shorter or more predictable? You’re basically forbidden from using the skill in certain parts of the new map because you’re going to leap to your death. Other than that I have no major issues.

Traits. Traits, traits, traits. Why do the first two minor traits not benefit me at all? They serve no purpose unless I’m in a party or doing WvW or PvP. I have two worthless traits for the 80% of the time I’m out doing my own thing.

Gyros.
No one used turrets. So let’s base the elite spec around moving turrets? WHY? WHY?

PLEASE TELL ME WHY YOU WOULD DO THIS.

in Engineer

Posted by: SaboD.7290

SaboD.7290

So after playing the scrapper a bit more, I really enjoy the hammer.
However:

1. The block is a little awkward, but that could just be me getting used to it.
2. The gap closer needs to be smoothed out. Still feels way to clunky, and you don’t seem to hit much of anything until the last strike.
3. The auto attack is hard to land on moving targets, its just too slow. You rarely get all 3 hits on a target unless they are standing still. And the time that it takes to land all 3 attacks you would be in bad shape afterward, if not having used some other skill in between them.

Gyros are not very good. I like the shredder gyro and more so the tool belt skill. The sneak gyro has potential, and the belt skill can come in handy. Overall though no one gyro is better than any one kit. You are better off equipping kits along with the hammer. This gives you not only short melee range but also a good mid range with a good assortment of push backs, heals, cripples ext… Just depends on your set up.

A specific gyro may have a nitch roll it can fill if you need it, but to dump kits and run gyros is not good in any since. Which to be honest is disappointing, since engineers kinda wanted something to get away from running multiple kits.

So as a gamer or designer if you look at any one gyro and then look at any one kit, ask yourself would you want the 5 skills of the kit or the gyro? If the gyro’s are not as good as the kits they are to replace than why would anyone use them, unless they have some specific use for that moment or instance. Gyro’s than become more of a gimmicky novelty item rather than a useful skill.

The scrapper is supposed to be an ELITE specialization. Other than the hammer giving the scrapper a different weapon and play style, there is nothing elite about it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

Gyros are pretty weak. They’re like moving turrets, but worse. The function gyro is the best one, and it’s still got questionable value. They have no health, their damage is low (even in combo fields), and they rarely do what a kit can. Stealth gyro is awful as it runs off to stealth allies in combat and leaves me unstealthed. It can’t keep up when I encounter any kind of terrain that isn’t smooth. It really shouldn’t be an elite. I think what others were saying about gyros acting as passives (except for the attacking gyros) makes a lot of sense.

The hammer is fun though. Switching kits with hammer is wonky though, throws you out of the in-the-moment of the hammer. The 3 skill feels a little too inaccurate/clunky. That said, hammer feels well-fleshed out.

I feel like, that as an elite specialization, scrapper should have some kind of effect on the kits, as those are one of the engineer’s main draws. Instead of gyros, have improved effects on the kits.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

(edited by Vagrant.7206)

in Engineer

Posted by: steinnovels.9675

steinnovels.9675

The function gyro would see more use if it could also be used for channeling interactions, and harvesting nodes.

in Engineer

Posted by: LordBanon.6803

LordBanon.6803

Overall, Scrapper is definitely one of the most fun specs so far. Thematically and mechanically, it feels like it adds a lot to the Engie class. Hammer is a great addition with its blend of utility and damage. It definitely feels good overall with a couple of rough edges:

- Rocket Charge motion could use a bit of tweaking.
> Without a target, the left-right zig-zag is a disorienting experience.
> With a target, it still seems like it’s a bit erratic; in particular, the second leap seems to overshoot the target a lot of times (fallen off a cliff from it before). I would expect it to behave more like the Revenant’s Unrelenting Assault in its targeting. Also, it doesn’t seem to consistently trigger fields on each leap, even ones centered on you like the Reconstruction Field.
> The aftercast for it seems really long, which is disappointing since it should be usable as a mobility skill.

- Electrowhirl and Shock Shield both seem to take longer to kick in than the shield or gear shield blocks, making them harder to use reactively. Could just be that I’m not used to them though.

Gyros on the other hand, are in a weird spot for me. On the one hand the toolbelt skills they provide add valuable new utility to the Engie class, but on the other, the actual Gyro skills themselves feel like finicky turrets:

- Medic Gyro: Reconstruction Field + Rocket Charge is a beautiful, beautiful thing. The actual healing potential for keeping it out though, never seems to materialize given its odd AI (Why are you running away from me? Are you trying to heal some guy’s pet?) Particularly since cooldown starts on Gyro death, it seems like the way to play is to pop it, kill it for the daze, and alternate it on 15s intervals with the Reconstruction Field and water field heal.

- Bulwark Gyro: Yay, a reliable reflect field (goodbye Elixir U and your long cooldown)! I just haven’t figured out what a good use for Watchful Eye is. It dies really fast, if you want it to soak a big party hit, but isn’t nearly as effective as Guardian sharing Aegis in that case. It dies really fast in large engagements of trash mobs, where I guess it’s really preventive healing for sustain? So far it actually seems best in solo use to bridge between uses of Medic Gyro.

- Purge Gyro: Poison field + hammer again is nice for Weakness, but not a reason to take the Gyro. I was running with Mortar Kit and being able to aim the field to where you were going to leap into seemed like a much more reliable way of proccing the combo at least once. The nerfing of the mobs in BWE3 makes it hard to tell whether the persistent condi cleansing is valuable enough to burn a utility slot on it. At least it’s an option for Engie’s now, that previously had to scrounge for condi cleanse from a bunch of different sources.

- Blast Gyro: Group superspeed seems nice, but honestly the traits Shocking Speed and Final Salvo seem like much better ways of going about it. I’m guessing the unblockable but destroyable spike damage has some play in PvP, but overall it seems like the weakest addition to Engie because of the value of a utility slot. Also, the name would suggest it is at least a blast finisher, which would give it some play with the fields and finishers mechanics in Scrapper, but even then it would be marginal (since it must be targeted, and there are lower cooldown alternatives such as Throw Mine).

- Shredder Gyro: Another lightning field for proccing traits? Yes please! This is another one weirdly affected by how Rocket Charge doesn’t seem to proc leaps reliably though. I seem to hit dazing attack with the hammer’s Thunderclap more regularly than with Spare Capacitor even though it’s a larger field, because the former is usually target-centered. Using the Shredder though is puzzling: The direct damage is probably too low for a stationary and destructible object, and the whirl combo even placed right in front of a large target doesn’t seem to hit consistently enough to stack conditions that justify taking it. The only neat trick I found was using it with Flash Shell away from enemies to purge conditions quickly – in that sense it’s actually a bit multi-use than Purge Gyro.

- Sneak Gyro: Why can I outrun my Gyro? Seriously. It’s goofy that I can’t even sneak about in PvE consistently with it and any kind of swiftness makes it lose its tracking. I get that if it tracks perfectly then it defeats the point since the Gyro itself is visible, but honestly it needs to feel like the gyro is following me and not vice versa. Either the area it covers needs to be expanded significantly, or it needs to move much faster, or it needs to deliver longer duration stealth between pulses so that you are covered until it catches up. Detection Pulse seems like a nice situational tool for the Engie, but again, not super useful in PvE unless the mobs get more dangerous again. (Oh Mordrem Snipers, even with stealth you are a sad shadow of your former selves)

The Function Gyro was also disappointing. I imagine it’s much more impactful in PvP, but in PvE, it’s kind of hard to use:
– If someone else is rezzing or close by, selecting the downed individual becomes the challenge. Like ally targeting, if you target an ally that is rezzing, it would be helpful if the Function Gyro targets that same person being rezzed instead of requiring you to click on the downed individual.
– There’s no range indicator and it has a weird range (750, I had to look it up) that is sort of unintuitive given the standard 600 or 900 ranges we’ve been trained to eyeball with most skills. Why not just give it the 900 range?
– It doesn’t seem to work on fully downed individuals? Why not? It’ll take way longer as usual anyway and the Function Gyro itself is not particularly durable.

Haven’t had too much of a chance to play with trait builds yet, more feedback on that later perhaps. The only thing that stood out so far was that Shocking Speed and Final Salvo have a sort of anti-synergy: since superspeed doesn’t stack, the lightning field created by Final Salvo specifically doesn’t work for proccing Shocking Speed (at least for yourself).

in Engineer

Posted by: Krikett.5298

Krikett.5298

I feel like the Traitline is great (except for the uninspired minors, they are un-impactful and easy to ignore) In PvE the hammer skills 2-5 are pretty great and the auto just needs a range increase to be in a nice place.
In PvP though I had to use Soldier Rifle or Cele condition because it feels like the scrapper was balanced around 1v1’s. Sure you have some mitigation in the form of a short block and an even shorter evade, but in order to survive in team-fight melees as an engineer you also need to fill almost all of your utility slots with defensive skills. This then leads to the Scrapper entering the fray, running around popping defensive CD’s and then dying without having contributed anything when you’re out of options. I’m not sure how I feel about scrapper other than incredibly worried because we only have ONE beta weekend to get this right. I don’t even want to talk about how embarrassingly bad the Gyro’s are. It just sucks because I had a feeling they wouldn’t be good and I really didn’t want to be right. ;_;

in Engineer

Posted by: Alkalissa.1706

Alkalissa.1706

My opinions so far:

Hammer is fun! Rocket charge is… not good though. From what I can tell, the first two leaps always go in the same direction relative to camera regardless of where your enemy is; if this is working as intented, it’s really not fun and assumes you play with your camera controls a certain way. Often I would leap right out the range of an enemy such that my third leap didn’t have the range to get back to them. Ideally, it would be great if each leap went towards your targeted enemy.

Medic gyro is pretty useless, because it doesn’t stick on me and give me heals when I need; it seems to barely keep me inside it’s AoE circle. A larger circle or better tracking would really help.
Purge gyro is… why? It seems to be a killable Elixir C with a poison field instead of boons.

Also, I have no way of seeing how long I’ve got left on a summoned gyro. Perhaps a little fuel bar over the skill slot would be useful?