Blunderbuss - Why bleeds, not something else?

in Engineer

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Am I the only one who finds it annoying that a power weapon does bleed damage? Why can’t blunderbuss do something other than BLEED. How about blundbuss blinds my enemy, or weakens them? Or causes vuln? Those all make more sense for the type of weapon.

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in Engineer

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

I think a bleed effect is fitting for a weapon that shoots out many small pieces of metal.

in Engineer

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

I think a bleed effect is fitting for a weapon that shoots out many small pieces of metal.

Yes but its the same for the others.

I think a blind effect is fitting for a weapon that shoots out many small pieces of metal.
I think a weakness effect is fitting for a weapon that shoots out many small pieces of metal.
I think a vulnerability effect is fitting for a weapon that shoots out many small pieces of metal.

Heck even cripple makes sense. So if these are ALL fitting, you come to the question of which is most fitting for a power weapon? Well any of them except bleed!

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I always thought rifle was a hybrid weapon, why else would its traits be on the pres/condition dmg traitline? At least with bleeds it gets some benefit out of that line

in Engineer

Posted by: Draehl.2681

Draehl.2681

I think the design of the skill is fine, but the damage multiplier should go up, especially for the very close ranges.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I agree with Penguin. I think a-net wants to leave the hybrid option open rather than assign one weapon per build.

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

I’d like if it hit multiple times at close range rather then hitting harder so you can make better use of proc on attack traits and such, it’s fitting for a weapon that shoots many small pieces of metal

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

I humbly disagree. I have always seen Rifle traits are in that line for crit, not condi dmg. I think changing the bleed to have better synergy with the rest of the abilities (power) is a good idea.

On a side-note, even with the recent buff, I find that the difficulty of landing blunderbluss laughable. Especially when the idea behind the skill should make it, one of the easiest to land skills in the game.

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

As for allways: direct damage zerker main dmg + bleeding as a nice addition. It’s totally ok like this.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Rifle is primarily a power weapon, but it’s also got a lot of control, making it a useful tool even in hybrid situations. I don’t mind the bleed, I simply see it as added damage. Plus, if I jumpshot in, the bleed covers my stacks of vuln.

The only other condition I’d be ok with seeing is torment, because it’s similar to bleed but adds that movement-control factor that I think fits with rifle. Bleed alone from a power build might not incentivize a target to cleanse, but torment might force the stand still or cleanse decision.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I always thought rifle was a hybrid weapon, why else would its traits be on the pres/condition dmg traitline? At least with bleeds it gets some benefit out of that line

rifle a hybrid weapon. you’re adorable. it’s in the precision/condition traitline for the same reason 2 handed weapon cooldowns are in the healing power and vitality traitline for guardians.
aka, no reason at all other than thats where anet wants them.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

rifle a hybrid weapon. you’re adorable. it’s in the precision/condition traitline for the same reason 2 handed weapon cooldowns are in the healing power and vitality traitline for guardians.

When I said its a hybrid weapon I don’t mean that you are supposed to put 50/50 on power and condition damage evenly, it ends up more like 85/15 when specced into firearms, since you would want to anyways to grab the rifle traits. The minor traits give chances to bleed on crit and if they got any bleeds on them, you get a power damage increase. Using blunderbuss also ends up giving you the damage bonus when specced into it. If it was something else like 3 stacks of vulnerability per shot blunderbuss would actually be losing dps/ getting nerfed, though yes I am assuming everyone specs fully into firearms when using rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

When I said its a hybrid weapon I don’t mean that you are supposed to put 50/50 on power and condition damage evenly, it ends up more like 85/15 when specced into firearms, since you would want to anyways to grab the rifle traits. The minor traits give chances to bleed on crit and if they got any bleeds on them, you get a power damage increase. Using blunderbuss also ends up giving you the damage bonus when specced into it. If it was something else like 3 stacks of vulnerability per shot blunderbuss would actually be losing dps/ getting nerfed, though yes I am assuming everyone specs fully into firearms when using rifle

no, not everyone specs fully into firearms when using rifle as the range increase is negligible.(unless you’re being smart and using go for the eyes) i honestly don’t consider bleeds into my dps at all as i believe the bleeding on blunderbuss is like the bleeding as a result of a shot from a AA-12. the bleed didn’t kill you the 12 gauge to the chest did.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

It synergizes well with Target The Maimed (25 Firearms), which gives a 5% damage increase to all targets suffering from bleeds, so I’m fine with it.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in Engineer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Heck even cripple makes sense. So if these are ALL fitting, you come to the question of which is most fitting for a power weapon?

I really hope that the devs will at some point try to blur the lines between “power” and “condi” weapon. Because I hate the concept, weapons are easy enough to differentiate in target specialization as is.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

Posted by: Valar Morghulis.7049

Valar Morghulis.7049

It should be fire damage… fire is the “power spec” condition…

Rifle is NOT used in condition specs, it is for power builds and in the 2nd trait line for the precision.

On that note: That line should be precision/crit dam, leaving power/cond dam (bombs & nades using both) and tool belt recharge/cond duration.

Fiddler of Malazan [BR] – Engineer {NSP}

(edited by Valar Morghulis.7049)

in Engineer

Posted by: Valar Morghulis.7049

Valar Morghulis.7049

Heck even cripple makes sense. So if these are ALL fitting, you come to the question of which is most fitting for a power weapon?

I really hope that the devs will at some point try to blur the lines between “power” and “condi” weapon. Because I hate the concept, weapons are easy enough to differentiate in target specialization as is.

I agree, but with engineer only having 2 weapons atm, you can’t/shouldn’t blur (dilute) them.

Fiddler of Malazan [BR] – Engineer {NSP}

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

It synergizes well with Target The Maimed (25 Tools), which gives a 5% damage increase to all targets suffering from bleeds, so I’m fine with it.

It’s actually 25 in Firearms, not tools, but yeah.

The Sharpshooter trait gives bleeds, though you’d need to have decent precision to get that to work reliably. I think a lot of rifle users generally do have relatively high precision though (i.e. SD rifle burst build), so the Blunderbuss may be a bit redundant for accomplishing the triggering of Target the Maimed. I guess it is still nice to have just because it’s completely reliable in it’s application of bleeds whereas Sharpshooter is not.

You can kind of compare it to Pin Down, in a way. Even in a power longbow build, the stack of bleeds from Pin Down can get some serious mileage in regards to your opponent’s health. At the closest range, Blunderbuss can get a nice little stack over 4 seconds (potentially to multiple opponents) to push the overall damage up even higher. Not as potent as something like Pin Down, but the damage will ignore armor and you can take other actions while it ticks.

Someone also mentioned using it as a cover condition, although that’s a bit more of an advanced tactic.

I also wouldn’t say the rifle is never used in condi builds. A lot of condi builds will focus largely on grenade a bomb use, so having a rifle for the superior control and situational direct damage (rifle has a fairly high damaging auto attack) could be preferable in some cases to things the pistol offers. In that case, the little bleed burst on Blunderbuss might actually be a bit nice.

in Engineer

Posted by: Witaminka.4650

Witaminka.4650

Bleed is fine but what about dmg? After patch Blunderbuss got range 500. Is tooltip wrong? Shouldn’t be 250/500/(700 when traited) distance?

Damage at 200 distance: 618 (1.600)?
Damage Damage at 400 distance: 386 (1.000)?
Bleeding at 200 distance: 4 s (680 damage)
Bleeding at 400 distance: 4 s (170 damage)
Range: 500

GW1 – 4,100+ / GW2 – 10,300+ hours played
server jumper

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

It used to be 100/400. Now it’s 200/500.

I think they just failed to correctly update the tooltip.

It’s actually 25 in Firearms, not tools, but yeah.

Yeah, my mistake. Already fixed.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians