Bomb kit rework suggestion

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

I feel bomb kit lacks a purpose. All it do is spam aoe, which is one of the most boring things you can do in gw2. It sees almost zero use in any gamemode.

So my suggestion is: Let us detonate bombs.
- All bombs have infinite duration.
- Can’t place more than 10 bombs.
- Big ol’ bomb remains unchanged.

New skill: Detonate
- Replaces glue bomb.
- Detonates all bombs.
- Has 1 second cast time (plays detonate animation).
- Bombs show red circle while detonating.
- Cooldown 1 second.

Short Fuse
- Detonating is faster.
- Can place 5 more bombs.
- Reduce recharge of bomb skills by 20%.

This way bomb kit is more fun to use. I can already see hundreds uses for it.

Thoughs?

in Engineer

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

I would just settle for a viable way to use existing bombs as they are. It use to be my go to kit pre HOT.

in Engineer

Posted by: SolarDragon.7063

SolarDragon.7063

I will point out that nearly every PvE condi (Viper) engineer metabuild uses bomb kit.

Personally, I still find it hugely awkward to use and it requires leading targets along the ‘right’ path for bomb kit to be effective.

in Engineer

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I am against this.

1. In PvP this leads to the AFK problem of turrets only massively worse; you lay tons of bombs around a point (that last forever?) and then detonate halfway across the map. Your only job is to lay a literal minefield with the highest coefficient skill in the game? No.

2. Laying the bombs and not having them explode is horrific for PvE since it’s a strong kiting weapon; there’s no point to kiting if they don’t explode. As a major user of the kit myself for both condition and power builds this would simply ruin them for PvE and make them completely unusable.

3. There’s a 1s delay ON TOP of the delay of laying the bomb(s) which in turn don’t detonate on their own. This makes bad worse.

I mean I’d like to hear these “hundreds of uses” if you wouldn’t mind. All I can think of is how absolutely tilted this becomes; it’s either a waiting game hold out in PvP, WvWvW or a total crapshoot in PvE since laying a bomb, detonating said bomb, and laying another bomb is just going to be cumbersome in general gameplay against regular mobs and not “tactically enriching” against champions or other enemies since it basically is just you pressing 1 or 2 for burning stacking said bombs and then blowing them up. :/

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I will point out that nearly every PvE condi (Viper) engineer metabuild uses bomb kit.

Every none open world meta build uses the bomb kit.

Bombs are the backbone of the Engi dps and shouldn’t be touched in a way like this, altough it is sure an interesting idea.

To make this work we would A) need a strong alternative auto attack and there should be no casttime on detonation since this is a dps loss for us. Rather just give the bombs the current delay to explode after triggered.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Mnemesis.8257

Mnemesis.8257

I feel bomb kit lacks a purpose.

Your next comment IS the purpose.

All it do is spam aoe, which is one of the most boring things you can do in gw2.

If you’re spamming, then you’re doing it wrong. AoE happens to be extremely powerful in GW2 specifically due to the fact that each effect produces results unique to that field.

It sees almost zero use in any gamemode.

The ONLY mode where this would have a far less encompassing role would be in PvP, which is largely due to the terrible stat combinations that would be necessary to make it work as effectively as PvE.

So my suggestion is: Let us detonate bombs.
- All bombs have infinite duration.
- Can’t place more than 10 bombs.
- Big ol’ bomb remains unchanged.

1) NO. Mines work similar to this.
2) NO. Bombs aren’t mines.
3) Yes. BoB is fine.

New skill: Detonate
- Replaces glue bomb.
- Detonates all bombs.
- Has 1 second cast time (plays detonate animation).
- Bombs show red circle while detonating.
- Cooldown 1 second.

1) NO. Glue Bomb needs QoL adjustments, not gutting.
2) NO. Bombs aren’t Mines.
3) NO. See 1.
4) NO? The AoE from bombs already have rings. Giving the vanilla Bombs rings would be too obvious and remove their appeal altogether in PvP. Regardless of whether this applied to only your changes or not.
5) NO. See 1.

Short Fuse
- Detonating is faster.
- Can place 5 more bombs.
- Reduce recharge of bomb skills by 20%.

1) NO. Refer to bombs aren’t mines.
2) NO. This should be extremely obvious, but I will explain in a bit.
3) Nothing changes here… so yeah.

This way bomb kit is more fun to use. I can already see hundreds uses for it.

Thoughs?

I can already see hundreds of complaints about this. What you wholeheartedly believe to be a positive change to an already decent kit, which really needs some trait adjustments instead, is actually detrimental to the balance of Bombs in EVERY game mode. With the ability to set 15 bombs out at one time and blast them on demand you have created a HUGE power creep problem, as causing 50-60k damage instantaneously is not healthy for the game. The only solution to such is an extreme drop in power scaling, which instead makes them worthless to power builds.

The functionality you desire from Bombs in this discussion is one that is already present when using Mines. The only difference is that Mines happen to be relatively balanced for what they provide, despite not seeing a lot of active play in WvW or PvP.

in Engineer

Posted by: Malhavoc Adhamar.3675

Malhavoc Adhamar.3675

This is very similar to how the original mine kit used to work (except each mine became detonate after activation) and that was replaced in favour of the current mine skill.

I’d rather see the Explosives trait line looked at again and bomb kit given some tlc through that (elixir infused bombs I’m thinking of you and maybe a trait giving skill 1 and 20% blast finisher) than see the skills rejigged.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I just want to see the animation reworked. My little asura looks like she’s charging around with a casserole dish.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

in Engineer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

I just want them to remove the giant kitteny bomb that we hold when using Bomb kit. That thing made me stop playing Engi.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Engineer

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I just want them to remove the giant kitteny bomb that we hold when using Bomb kit. That thing made me stop playing Engi.

Agreed. It looks stupid.

in Engineer

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I miss the old bomb kit hobosack, it was awesome

in Engineer

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I miss the old bomb kit hobosack, it was awesome

Our kind, the hobosacks lovers, were a minority, so I guess it’s fair that they changed it, but I’m still not over it. The bomb kit, the EG and especially the FT were so beautiful. Now we are wielding a flamethrower without a tank, that’s just silly.

in Engineer

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I didn’t love every hobosack out there, but I sure was in the camp of “allow hiding of hobosacks” instead of replacing them with something else.

Well that, and for lazy bums to add separate grenade kit hobosack, instead of same one for bomb and grenade kits, cause it was misleading both for others (pvp) and myself (pve).

That aside..yeah tear gets shed for bomb kit hobosack.