Brothers and Sisters brace yourselves.

in Engineer

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

For on the night of January 28th the overlords (Anet) will bring down the wrath of
“AoE nerf”

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

in Engineer

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

Say goodbye to the Bomb Kit.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

“Im rage quitting”

~said half the engineer playerbase

in Engineer

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

It’s okay. I already stopped playing Engineer for the vastly superior Guardian. I just feel bad for our Elementalist friends.

in Engineer

JohnDied.3476

At least they’re buffing our single target skills! like flametrower, oh.

Pistols? nope.

Hmmm… bombs, grenades are getting nerfed… which leaves us with our mighty Rifle!

Think of all the different builds that will become viable, imagine the versatility.

(edited by JohnDied.3476)

in Engineer

Posted by: Ajun.3102

Ajun.3102

I think you over egsadurate. They mentioned a change in the AoE mechanics, not a dmg or radius nerf. They just want to change the fact, that every class is spamming AoE, even when fighting a single target. It’s not gonna be a ‘quick ninja nerf’, as it is a pretty seroius matter. ANet claimed they will test it in every possible aspect and only then will they decide if that sort of change comes to life.

I just hope, that after all, the bomb healing won’t be affected to much.

Trust me, I’m an Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nirvana.8659

Nirvana.8659

reading all the new QQ thread plus the consideration they gived us,i can’t be more happy for my reroll as mesmer.
Oh i also have a thief,in the case they gonna make em not boring to play.

One thing is sure,the day anet will make a new pay-expansion , will be the end of my GW2 experience.
In the while…i’ll continue roflstomp ppls with my fresh overpowered mesmer.

I apologize for my english.
Engineer : Charliengine
Engineer : Brother Thompson

in Engineer

GoZero.9708

Elementalist, Engineer and Necromancer get weaker.

Warrior, Guardian, Thief and Mesmer don’t get hurt.

Picture related.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

It’s okay. I already stopped playing Engineer for the vastly superior Guardian. I just feel bad for our Elementalist friends.

I stopped playing my Guardian for the Engineer. At least on the Engineer you have a lot of choice and crazy things to do, the Guardian is linear and you’re limited in build choice. Granted, the two base builds you can choice from are effective, but it doesn’t make them fun or (IMO) make up for the lost personal choice.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I wouldnt be surprised if our aoe kits got a nerf in one way or another. For example, when it hits, our flamethrower can almost do as much single target damage as our rifle. And in the livestream they mentioned something along the lines of if the aoe damage is 8/10ths as strong as single target damage, then the opportunity cost is too good.
I hope im just overthinking it though

in Engineer

JohnDied.3476

Welp I dont know if we’ll get buffed, but grenades and bombs (all AOEs) are certainly getting nerfed in the future.

You know, to balance out the massive damage they do in comparison to all those weak single target skills no one uses, like backstab and killshot.

posted this in another thread

in Engineer

LieutenantGoogle.7326

Pistols? nope.

Hmmm… bombs, grenades are getting nerfed… which leaves us with our mighty Rifle!

Think of all the different builds that will become viable, imagine the versatility.

Rifle 4 and 5 are AoE, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

in Engineer

GoZero.9708

I stopped playing my Guardian for the Engineer. At least on the Engineer you have a lot of choice and crazy things to do, the Guardian is linear and you’re limited in build choice. Granted, the two base builds you can choice from are effective, but it doesn’t make them fun or (IMO) make up for the lost personal choice.

I feel the other way around. I find Guardian much more fun than an Engineer because as an Engineer I felt constantly pigeonholed due to a plethora of worthless utility skills, useless traits, weak synergy, and a pretty big design failure when it came to kits, turrets and the toolbelt. As a Guardian, I do more damage, I can be pretty much any role with a bit of retraiting and slightly different equipment, I’m more worthwhile to my group, my crowd control is better, the majority of my traits are worth considering, and very few of my utility skills are waved off because they fail more than one test of utility.

in Engineer

JohnDied.3476

I didn’t know that!

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Quote from stream: “Mesmer portal is giving us problems –giving that tool onto other classes”
Some teleporter device come to us? Hmm more like warrior get some…

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: Benjamin.7893

Benjamin.7893

Just because aoe get’s nerfed doesn’t mean your aoe skills will be weaker against 1 target. Simply means that for every target hit there is a 20% decrease in dmg. I also doubt that conditions aoe will get nerfed, thus bomb kit stays uneffected.

If anything this is a bigger nerf to mesmer (shatter) and warrior (useless in spvp then).

All in all everyone should probably wait before making silly assumptions to a yet unreleased update.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phuriocity.9218

Phuriocity.9218

Uhm…

Dude…

If the reason they’re nerfing AoE…

Is because people are using it on single-target encounters too…

They’re not going to leave the single-target damage the same.

That is like, the entire point of the change.

in Engineer

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

As long as they don’t nerf lightning discharge…. I’ll keep roflpwning people in WvW ^-^

¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸
[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love
¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

in Engineer

Posted by: Tekyn.5376

Tekyn.5376

“Im rage quitting”

~said half the engineer playerbase

So we’re down to what, like 10 people now?

“I feel like I’m getting trolled here. Good day sir.”
- John Smith, ArenaNet in-house economist

in Engineer

Posted by: Shoyoko.7309

Shoyoko.7309

Even though it is too early too assume, I can just see another nerf coming our way.
As Engineer Yosemitebear said one time:
“Whoa, that’s a double rain-nerf.
All the way.
Double rain-nerf.
Oh my God.
It’s a double rain-nerf all the way.
Whoa.
Man.
Whoa ho-ho.
Wow.
WHOOOOAAAAA!!!! YEAHH!!!
WOOOO!!
(cries in the background)
Oh my God, look at that.
It’s starting to even look like a triple rain-nerf.
Oh my God.
(cries more)
God.
(yells more in the valley)
What does this mean?!
Oh, God.
It so bright and vivid.
OH!! OH!!
SOB It. so. BEAUTIFUL!!! SOB
(engineer yosemitebear cries intensely over the valley)”

No two engineers are the same.
Passionate engineer; self-proclaimed kitmaster. <3

(edited by Shoyoko.7309)

in Engineer

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

As long as they don’t nerf lightning discharge…. I’ll keep roflpwning people in WvW ^-^

LOL well not to put a rock in your diaper but I have a feeling if they fix it so SD works the same way with all TB skills (as in not firing into the grnd with certain ones & firing instantly on all) then there is prolly gonna be some nerfage when the P/P Elixir builds starting spanking everyone with their added direct damage.

(edited by CriSPeH.8512)

in Engineer

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

How do know this is going to happen? I tried googling this but nothing but guesting news came up.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

in Engineer

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

How do know this is going to happen? I tried googling this but nothing but guesting news came up.

They are talking about something that was said in a Twitch live stream.
I didn’t hear it but it seems like its more they were talking about adding diminishing returns on AOE.

in Engineer

Posted by: illyume.9630

illyume.9630

So, considering everything engineers do is aoe damage, aside from like… static discharge, and the crowbar skill on tool kit.

Does this mean we’re officially done for?

(Rifle shots pierce. AoE. I don’t think it’s escaping. Plus, it’s a mainhand weapon attack, which means engineers are supposed to suck at it.)

in Engineer

JohnDied.3476

http://dulfy.net/2013/01/17/gw2-dev-livestream-jan-17-transcript/

Follow the links to the first part of the livestream.

11:58 is when it all goes awry for engineers.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

This topic title is misleading. Girls don’t play games…that’s a myth.

On topic: nearly every profession forum has posts that think this is a bad thing. AN wants to reduce the use of AoE against single targets. That means changing loadouts based upon the upcoming encounter (can’t just run grenades or bombs the whole dungeon). Supposedly this will reduce zergs in WvW. I still struggle to understand the logic behind that one.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

in Engineer

Posted by: Shoyoko.7309

Shoyoko.7309

AHEM, I’m guessing I’m just a myth huh?
Sobs First, I was look down cos I’m an engie
and now I don’t exist cos i’m a girl. sobs

No two engineers are the same.
Passionate engineer; self-proclaimed kitmaster. <3

(edited by Shoyoko.7309)

in Engineer

Posted by: illyume.9630

illyume.9630

On topic: nearly every profession forum has posts that think this is a bad thing. AN wants to reduce the use of AoE against single targets. That means changing loadouts based upon the upcoming encounter (can’t just run grenades or bombs the whole dungeon). Supposedly this will reduce zergs in WvW. I still struggle to understand the logic behind that one.

So uh, tell us which main attack we’re supposed to be using that’s not AoE, then?

in Engineer

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

I had already shelved my Engi, and just finished leveling and gearing out an Elementalist. LOL!

Sigh.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

in Engineer

Posted by: Zaphael.8694

Zaphael.8694

I quit playing diablo 3 because of all the nerfs that happen every other month. Everytime a nerf comes, I have re-think and re-optimise my builds. That takes time, money and patience which players do not necessarily have.

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

This is a tricky stance ANet is taking. On one hand they want to tone down aoe, and on the other buff underwhelming weapons. These two are bound to clash. Especially in kits, which are woefully underperforming, and predominantly AoE.

All our offensively focussed kits are AoE. And the damage from the support-focussed kit also comes mostly from aoe abilities.

Honestly i doubt they are going over every single ability and retweaking it for the purpose of balance. What we will most likely see is a blanket change across the board. Arenanet doesnt seem to actually know what Engineers do, so i fear we’ll just get the blanket aoe nerf and get 2 or 3 kits further nerfed.
And when Arenanet speaks of “buffing unviable builds on professions that dont have a lot of choice”, i think they arent even talking about Engineers at all. I think they aimed that comment at Eles and Thieves.

So im bracing for another round of nerfs, and having the Engineer fly under the radar yet again when it comes to getting the neccesary attention.

in Engineer

Posted by: Voxdeus.1034

Voxdeus.1034

Quote from stream: “Mesmer portal is giving us problems –giving that tool onto other classes”
Some teleporter device come to us? Hmm more like warrior get some…

I predict Thief.

in Engineer

JohnDied.3476

At this point I’m kind of at a loss as to what the devs want us to do with engineers. I mean, if they think its bad when engineers use aoes on single targets (like a dungeon champ for example) why would they make over half of our weapons aoe?

I thought we had a choice of how to play our engineers. Now I feel like they’re going to try to pidgeonhole us into single target static discharge, or condition pistol/elixirgun. I’ve played both after the grenade nerf and decided that I didn’t like them much, tried out bombs and loved them. If this next nerf is as bad as the last one, I don’t think I’ll be able to use my bombs again.

People can tell me L2P and that the engineer is fine, but I still remember how I felt the first time I tried post-nerf grenades. It made me feel disappointed and I missed the old ones. I don’t want to feel that same way about my bombs or for people who love the flamethrower to get kicked as well.

I played diablo 3 and I agree with Zaphael. The diablo devs chased away all but the craziest people who live and breath that game. When it comes down to it, people play games to be happy. You know something is wrong when you log in and sigh because playing on your characters is unfulfilling and disappoints you. I don’t really want to stick around with an engineer if that happens.

in Engineer

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

Pistols? nope.

I think you mean 3 and 5. You’re an elementalist in disguise, aren’t you?

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

They must have finally realized that it wasn’t the engineer grenades that were the problem, but AoE in general. Which means they are going to nerf AoE and unnerf the grenades, right, right?

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Glad I never got my engineer started, even before the first grenade nerf.
Having no auto attack just annoys the hell out of me with that kit.
But this is just going to ruin bombs and grenades.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Engineer

Posted by: Travail.7390

Travail.7390

Hmm… So, no more Jump Shot → Grenade Barrage burst, I guess…

Good bye, gimmicky but effective build. You will be missed.

-Travail.

in Engineer

LieutenantGoogle.7326

Pistols? nope.

I think you mean 3 and 5. You’re an elementalist in disguise, aren’t you?

I could’ve sworn overcharge affected more than 1 enemy :x
Guess I’ve been playing P/S too much.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bard.7215

Bard.7215

Min Max elitism is pretty strong in a game that ignores DPS and intense stat calculations to play.

While the engineer is clearly bad in terms of universal viability, complaining about a fairly OP classes lack of build selections, as if Five Trait-lines don’t exist is stupid. It’s not like any of them are outrageously bad, on a guardians you could dump points at random and still own anything.

Top tier classes have the benefit of choosing any of their traitlines without feeling like they can’t play with their choice.

Sort of like building a sandcastle

in Engineer

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

AoE nerf… would there even be a point to play the Engineer then?

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

in Engineer

Posted by: Bard.7215

Bard.7215

They should basically nerf AOE damage on single targets, if more then one target is in an AOE the damage is increased

Problem solved.

Sort of like building a sandcastle

in Engineer

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

There is a bit of hope with what ANet has talked about in the second part of the stream. Basically, they’re (probably) going to calculate opportunity costs with AOE-based attacks against a specific class’s skill set…

With the engineer’s skill set, we might not be seeing much changes (though a small buff would be nice to bring engineer viability more, aside from FIXING A LOT OF BUGS with our class) since most, if not our entire skill set, revolves around a lot of AOE, and we only have a real small number of single target skills that do damage, and even those don’t even do much at all.

in Engineer

JohnDied.3476

Honestly i doubt they are going over every single ability and retweaking it for the purpose of balance. What we will most likely see is a blanket change across the board.
[…]
So im bracing for another round of nerfs, and having the Engineer fly under the radar yet again when it comes to getting the neccesary attention.

Pretty much. More people will leave the game or reroll after the grenade+bomb nerf, but the engineer community will continue without us. The devs will get around to overhauling the engineer eventually, although it might not be until late this year.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rebus Sohal.4108

Rebus Sohal.4108

As long as they don’t nerf lightning discharge….

Notice how it bounces around and hits more than 1 person…..

in Engineer

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Honestly i doubt they are going over every single ability and retweaking it for the purpose of balance. What we will most likely see is a blanket change across the board.
[…]

Pretty much. More people will leave the game or reroll after the grenade+bomb nerf, but the engineer community will continue without us. The devs will get around to overhauling the engineer eventually, although it might not be until late this year.

Well depending on how bad the upcoming AoE nerf is, I will be placing my Engi on the shelf until that overhaul takes place, and even then I might not play it depending on what they do. Will be sad really, because the Engi is the only class I didn’t find boring by the time I finished leveling it.

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

in Engineer

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

One thing is sure,the day anet will make a new pay-expansion , will be the end of my GW2 experience.

Yours, mine, and many other people out there. I know some kids will continue to play this like zombies collecting achievs and stuff, HOW FUN IS THAT ?

Like a friend of mine said: If you apply a patch on a piece of crap, it will continue to be a piece of crap.

And that kuota guy, rotfl. I hope elementalist dd get nerfed to hell

in Engineer

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

The only bright side (and it’s not very bright at all for a whole bunch of you) is that the nerf will just affect ground-targeted effects rather than, say, ALL of our pistol skills. Doesn’t look like a good day for grenade engineers or well necromancers though.

This nerf does seem disproportionately targeted to hit the most popular Engineer damage build though. I guess time will tell.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Engineer

Posted by: Benjamin.7893

Benjamin.7893

Uhm…

Dude…

If the reason they’re nerfing AoE…

Is because people are using it on single-target encounters too…

They’re not going to leave the single-target damage the same.

That is like, the entire point of the change.

No that is not the reason they’re nerfing aoe. The reason was that it is impossible to ress someone in spvp, because of the dmg cluster bomb spam, dancing dagger, wells, etc. do.

in Engineer

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

It doesn’t seem to me you can hit someone with a bomb, unless you knock back immobilize him/her, or he/she isn’t paying attention to the red circles. You don’t even have to dodge: running away is enough to avoid a bomb.

Unless I’m in a big scale fight and people don’t notice me, I can force only one target at a time to stay in the bombs, unless I use slickshoes.

And the AoE effect of bombs is not so frightening. We can kill people who want to melee us at all costs, but it takes time. For the other fights, or in condition builds, we can’t use only bombs.

Bomb kit is already a difficult kit to use, but one of the best tools of the class. And they already have a ridicolously small range. And a safe delay. Nerfing them would be criminal, in my opinion.

We would remain with elixir and static discharge builds. So the less complex builds (don’t know about SD, but p/p elixir is INCREDIBLY easy to play), while all the complexity engineer is renowned for would just be sub-optimal. And Tankcat, which I think would not be great in spvp without bombs (unless they fix power wrench, to make sure we can put toolkit autoattack to good use).

And about the FT… true, you may see bigger numbers than the rifle.
But don’t forget you dealt them in 2.5 seconds channelling. 3 times the time it takes to fire an autoattack.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

(edited by redslion.9675)

in Engineer

Posted by: MrAptronym.2846

MrAptronym.2846

I hope they don’t nerf flamethrower. I use it as part of my build, but the damage is really pretty mediocre. As Redslion said, it may list a pretty big number, but that is oer 2.5 sec of channel. It also requires you to be far closer than the rifle.

As for bomb, it isn’t really being used offensively, its more that you can stand there and bunker, using it to spam heals on yourself. It is an awful weapon for going out and attacking someone, as it should be I suppose. (Though having a bomb kit as a primary source of healing seems weird too)

I have optimism that engineers may be left largely unscathed here, but I have no real logic to back that up, all the signs point to “Nerf”. AoE is about as central to our class as anything. We literally do not have enough non-AoE skills to form a basic attack chain.