Building for wvw

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I started going into wvw more often but I am just not sure as to what gear to go in with.

I like using rifle, bombs, toolkit, and grenades.
I have all berserker’s gear ( I guess that is bad?)
I like being in small groups but sometimes I can’t avoid being caught alone :P

My traits are mostly just to cut down the cooldown rate on my weapons (I guess that might be bad too)

If anyone can, I would like to know what I should change to fit my playstyle.

(edited by Zavve.8205)

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

berzerker can work but more than likely you will want a tankier gear set.

Knights / Invader or Valkerie could work. I tend to go with knights.

Your build is not bad since you have a lot of CC, but you will definately want a cc break, and some condition removal for smaller scale fights.

There are a lot of condition builds, and bursty power builds, so you need to be able to clear conditions, and escape when need be.

Going elixirs with Elixir H / Elixir S with cleansing formula 409 can work well but you have to drop a kit.

If you take medkit you can use food to get extra condi removal when you swap into it which helps a lot.

For the stun break you have a few options. I like Elixir gun my, but you can also use thumper turret, utility goggles, elixir s, and elixir u.

Rocket boots is also nice for breaking immobilize and leaping away or after someone.

But a more tanky gear setup is a must really, as is a stun break.

Toughness won’t help with the condi damage but it does save you against power builds.

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQBUioKildLqXSkRF6MQFyLRKyPL7zD2KtgQA-w

Choose your favourite weapon – doesn’t really matter which one. Free utility slot:
1) tool kit
2) flamethrower
3) rocket boots
Depends also on your personal playstyle.

Gear: Celestial works very well: u got awesome party heal with healing turret and elixir gun. Also grenades deal good direct and condition damage. Defensive stats are welcome too in wvw. A mix of zerker /knights with rifle works too or rabbid with pistols.

(edited by Forestnator.6298)

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Posted by: dunnberry.2964

dunnberry.2964

As said already, get away from berserkers at all costs especially if you like small manning! Either of those armies work but rabid is good too if you like condition, grenades are the best thing if you are good at aiming and clicking very fast and just a blast watching all those ticks!
Also if you are going to use grenades a lot you definitely want the grenadier trait(30 on power) to get extra grenade and I think also 25% faster throw rate

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Posted by: Linc.6834

Linc.6834

i agree you need some survivability in there, ive been running with a static discharge build with zerker armor and cavalier trinkets mixed in. Rocket boots man, that where its at, I really can’t give em up now from the change. You can chase ppl or run away. WvW is all about mobility especially with a small group. I would suggest trying things out, be an engineer and experiment. I will say that the toolkit is boss tho, high damage, cripple, block and pull you really can’t ask for more in a kit.
I would aim for having armor around 2300 with like 18k health. You can run zerkers if you like, but realize your going to die a lot

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Zavve.8205

Sounds like I am gonna need to completely redo my armor then for condition and toughness

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Sounds like I am gonna need to completely redo my armor then for condition and toughness

Not entirely true. I’ve run nearly full berserker’s equipment with a great deal of success. You do need to be cautious because you’re quite fragile, but it’s balanced by the fact that you can hit like a truck that already went flying by being hit by a first truck even harder than the truck that’s going to hit your enemies is hitting (yes I realize that makes no sense).

I wouldn’t advise it as much for solo roaming because if you don’t have much in the way of a safety net than you can screw yourself pretty frequently. In small scale roaming, it will depend on your team comp.

However, it can be really great in organized zerging. Being able to deal massive damage with high amounts of CC at range on a target can punish people that over-commit or move out of position, and every person killed in the enemy zerg means rallies for your side and one less person that needs killing. You do still need to be quite smart about how you play because getting swept up by an enemy zerg will get you easily killed as well, but if you can get used to that sort of playstyle then you can be a good asset.

I’m not sure exactly what kind of build you were intending to run, but it sounds like it might be similar to a static discharge build. The berserker’s based build I use is a cookie-cutter static discharge one: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUl0pqdH5STF17IxoHkuzbG0D7mX/+pAbB-j0xAYrgQUCCRAM5VEN2ibR0Y11YKXioapAiYMA-w

I sort of just tried it out for something different one day, but I found I really liked it. One thing you have to accept is that you will end up dying if the battle doesn’t play out well. This build plays fast and loose, so you can’t get too frustrated with it. Static discharge can also be nice because it provides a method of AoE damage with jump shot and blunderbuss, so you’re not all single-target.

I will generally prefer something not as glassy, but it all depends on what sort of mood I’m in. If nothing else, just use a condition damage based build specced for grenades, and get to zerging.

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Zavve.8205

Is it possible to be effective without bombs or grenades? I see that your build does not have either but I am always hearing that I should use one or the other. Not having to use bombs and grenades would be interesting if it works.

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

That’s a pretty standard Static Discharge build. It works well with pure Berserker, but it’s a you kill them before they kill you build. I’ve used it in the past and it’s definitely a fun playstyle. Currently using P/P + Toolkit HGH. I’ve also used Flamethrower/Elixir Gun builds in the past as well with good result if you’re looking for non bomb/grenade options. Flamethrower is another set that lends itself to Berserker.

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Zavve.8205

Okay, so I currently have 2 pistols, FT, toolkit, rocket boots, and the supply crate.
I am still in berserker’s gear atm.
Hopefully I can do some damage with that.

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Okay, so I currently have 2 pistols, FT, toolkit, rocket boots, and the supply crate.
I am still in berserker’s gear atm.
Hopefully I can do some damage with that.

I would probably want to swap your second pistol for a shield for the utility and finishers. Especially since you’re in berserker. P/P is def a cond setup, while P/S could go either way.

Also EG has great synergy with FT since it adds a stunbreak (which you currently lack), another blast finisher, more healing, another combo field, and condition removal.

EDIT: Crap. Now I wanna play FT/EG again….

(edited by Sagramor.7395)

Building for wvw

in Engineer

Zavve.8205

Okay, I switched pistols for rifle because of the knockback and the net shot which has saved me millions of times. I also switched the FT for bomb kit because it is great against thieves as I have just found out :P
Rocket boots are just great so I am keeping those.