Can anyone of you use Shredder Gyro?! o.O

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

What the title says – I tried and tried and tried but I cannot find a SERIOUS way to use this skill, neither in pve nor in pvp. Has anyone any good ideas to share? :/ Right now it feels completly useless … sadly :/

greez
- Ziggy

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Have to agree, the “woo. Whirl finishers.” part of it is just underwhelming and doesn’t make up for the dogkitten damage the thing does.

If it did damage akin to Guardian traps, then I’d appreciate it.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

in Engineer

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Drop Napalm on a boss, drop the shredder gyro inside the boss+fire field. Don’t know if it heals you or the gyro, but there’s potential for whirl+dark, Whirl+light for nominal group cleansing, whirl+ice for chill.

I’ll agree there’s not too much use, but you can take advantage of some of the more useful effects like burn stacking on a boss for some burst application. That’s probably the most likely effect to explore.

Fishsticks

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

The whirl gyro should be on top of your character and spin while following you very closely that would make you a walking whirl finisher and possibly be more useful.

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

The whirl is too slow. It also needs some stability so it can’t be knocked back.

in Engineer

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

You dont play with gyros you play despite them.

(edited by Pride.1734)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I had a bit of fun playing with it in open world for a while, but there’s just better options out there.

If you are looking for a way to use it, however, just drop it on a fire or lightning field. Fire field will toss AoE burning and lightning will do AoE vuln.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Drop Napalm on a boss, drop the shredder gyro inside the boss+fire field. Don’t know if it heals you or the gyro, but there’s potential for whirl+dark, Whirl+light for nominal group cleansing, whirl+ice for chill.

I’ll agree there’s not too much use, but you can take advantage of some of the more useful effects like burn stacking on a boss for some burst application. That’s probably the most likely effect to explore.

What he said but in PvP with slick shoes for more fun.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

as it stands shredder gyro is Completely useless it offers nothing

it only does 2 whirl finishers per proc wich are sent to random directions , said finishers only last for about 3 seconds so even if you dropped it dead center on a boss and kept said boss in place you wouldnt stack enough to deal considerable damage , the toolbelt skill would’ve been cool if i was a 2s daze every pulse wich is far more than acceptable considering its pathetic damage

even the bomb gyro offers far more utility than shredder gyro and all the bomb gyro does is Explode.

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

it’s a completely purposeless skill.

why would you allocate a utility slot to a work finisher? it lasts longer than your combo fields, and whirl effects are not even that good.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

the only possible fixes to make it worthwhile would be

Making shredder gyro’s whirl finishers Home in on enemies
and the toolbelt to Daze with each pulse

and for anet to replace our Decisive Renown trait for a trait that gave us +30-50% Finisher Duration

in Engineer

Posted by: ANort.1425

ANort.1425

Or just up the damage on it to a reasonable level, say, the same pulse damage as Acid Bomb or Thunderclap(that might be too much since it can hit 12 times, but the damage definitely needs a massive upgrade). The skill is worthless right now but it has the potential to be amazing, they could even change it so the gyro moves towards your targeted enemy(would remain stationary if no enemy is targeted).

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

Or just up the damage on it to a reasonable level, say, the same pulse damage as Acid Bomb or Thunderclap(that might be too much since it can hit 12 times, but the damage definitely needs a massive upgrade). The skill is worthless right now but it has the potential to be amazing, they could even change it so the gyro moves towards your targeted enemy(would remain stationary if no enemy is targeted).

i think they need to rework Whirl finishers as a whole so that they lock onto nearest targets instead of spewing randomly

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

i think they need to rework Whirl finishers as a whole so that they lock onto nearest targets instead of spewing randomly

^this → i’d say too that the whirl finishers are the problem, not the gyro. Altough it’s toolbelt could use some buffs :/ Like a 10 sec field that spreads conditions OR dazes or cc to all enemies within. Something like that’d be cool.

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Engineer

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

After reading though this thread I decided to try the shredder Gryo (I always use the bulkwark and any other gyro cept shredder XD) on Fractals. My honest Opinion:
its not bad but the other gyors are way better. Medic, Bulkwark, and purge follow you around and do their thing. Blast Gyro is imo only useful against veterans and normal enemies when you are not in a group.

Shredder is…..good as long as the enemy does not move. Like I said, not bad but other gyros are so much better.

in Engineer

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

You’ll do more burning with napalm on FT than shredder Gyro.

Shredder is useless as far as I can tell.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mnemesis.8257

Mnemesis.8257

This was actually a concept that was announced quite a long time ago that would likely have been introduced with the advent of HoT. Somewhere along the development process it was likely either tossed or forgotten. In all honesty, I think locking onto targets would be… lackluster and overpowered at the same time (if that makes any sense). Rather than something that focuses on a target, it would prove beneficial in all game modes if the whirling “projectile” became an “aoe pulse” instead. Personally, I can see far more potential and less gripe in a small 180-240 range pulse than randomized (or organized) projectiles.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

This was actually a concept that was announced quite a long time ago that would likely have been introduced with the advent of HoT. Somewhere along the development process it was likely either tossed or forgotten. In all honesty, I think locking onto targets would be… lackluster and overpowered at the same time (if that makes any sense). Rather than something that focuses on a target, it would prove beneficial in all game modes if the whirling “projectile” became an “aoe pulse” instead. Personally, I can see far more potential and less gripe in a small 180-240 range pulse than randomized (or organized) projectiles.

homing whirl finishers would only be broken in warrior’s offhand axe 5 skill pretty much
homing whirl from shredder gyro cant get overpowered due to the 2 procs per second activation and said finishers having a total duration of 2-3 seconds in the case of condi and boon ones
plus my idea is Nearest target wich means it wont just focus the target you’re attacking

in Engineer

Posted by: Nate.8146

Nate.8146

I tried the Shredder gyro a few times, but I agree with others that it’s a bit lackluster. The concept is neat, but there’s a few problems with it. First, you have to keep the thing fed. If there’s no fields, there’s no whirling. Some fights I felt like I was focusing less on the enemy and more on keeping the gyro happy. Fights end up taking longer than they should. Secondly, in pug zerg brawls it’s a mess. Fields being dropped on top of other fields and often the whirl finishers applied are the more useless ones. Like blinding a champ that isn’t affected by blinds, or cleansing bolts when I don’t care for condi removal.

Maybe if they drop the whirl finishers and up the physical damage so the gyro behaves more like acid bomb, I might consider using it more often.

in Engineer

Posted by: Yashuoa.9527

Yashuoa.9527

Whirl finishers are kinda crap in general right?

It would be better if it used other finishers than whirl dont you think so?

in Engineer

Posted by: Rocknull.2986

Rocknull.2986

Best use I have found with shredder is with final salvo. It basically turns into a low cool down medium range static field. Im trying to find a way to work final salvo into a back/mid line wvw g/g build. I’ll keep ya posted.

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

Guys guys I have a crazy idea what if just bare with me what if!!
1: Take away the duration of the gyro and make it an on demand warrior gs 3 that you launch in a direction for high burst damage and whirl finishers
or
2: You summon the gyro and it spins around you with whirl finishers while doing moderate direct damage too anyone around you
or
3:Keep it as it is now but increase its direct damage too actually be useful to power builds and give it an aoe pulsing pull remove the whirl finisher.

in Engineer

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

IIRC Whirl finishers other than Light and Water always send at least 1 bolt towards your current target per proc, so Shredder Gyro could in theory be used to stack condis like burning/poison/confusion… but atm only two that last longer than 2s is Confusion from Ethereal and Vuln from Lightning. You could stack more burning with a fire field, but the based duration for fire whirl bolts is a measly 1s.

Of course, that’s just the one glimmering light on a rather poor combo effect. Either whirl finishers need to improve or Shredder Gyro needs to be able to do more damage on it’s own, preferably while also either becoming non-targetable or coming with it’s own stability.

EDIT: Actually, just checked the wiki on whirl finishers, and the exact words are “If you have a target selected, the projectiles have a chance to be sent out towards your target instead of a random direction.”

So yeah, if whirl finishers is suppose to be the big reason to bring a Shredder gyro, then whirl finishers need a lot of improvement…

(edited by Foefaller.1082)

in Engineer

Posted by: PWNtrooper.8617

PWNtrooper.8617

It should be redone to work like the Jalis hammers Revenant gets; have a bunch of little gyros whirling around you. That’d be sweet, and actually complement how a scrapper plays really well. That, and its toolbelt should inflict some slow pulsing vulnerability or something, or act like the lightning field that Glyph of Storms puts out in air attunement.

in Engineer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

This thread just gave me some amazing ideas…

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

kappa? :o or are you for real? :o