Cannoneer - the heavy engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: andreibianu.8051

andreibianu.8051

I was browsing the gw2 wiki and saw this artwork . Then it hit me . Why can’t engineers use cannons ? And don’t even mention that atrocious and deformed rifle skin called a charrzooka -that thing is a joke . I’m talking about shoulder mounted engines of destruction : mortars, chain guns , rocket pods etc . That would certainly give the class the “oomph” it needs after the continuous barrage of nerfs it has endured .
Hell , I’m not even going to ask why engineers don’t wear heavy armor like the charr in the pick .

tldr : enginners should use shoulder cannons and heavy armor

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

Engineer was first planed as a heavy armored mid and close combat class.

in Engineer

Posted by: rivx.3267

rivx.3267

And now we wear med armor and do the same damage or less. (nerfed)

in Engineer

Forestnator.6298

For good reason: engi is still one of the strongest classes.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

lolmight stacks from HGH =/= strong class

Especially when it gets inevitably nerfed…

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in Engineer

Forestnator.6298

For the moment boonhate comes in another way as we thought: they don’t reduce the power of boons, they just create more skill/mechanics which convert/steal/whatever boons. I don’t espect a big nerf for might stacking anymore – maybe they change 4th bonus of runes with second bonus for no multiple use of boon duration.

Anyway, mightstacking affects any class: D/D-ele, only strong because of might stacking, GS-Warrior – only deals more dmg then even hammer or sword/sword because of might stacking, ….

Additional, engineer without mightstacking is much more worth/more powerful then most other classes without mightstacking.

Accept it or not: engineer is a powerful class as the jack of all roles in a game with no roles.

in Engineer

Posted by: Poli.2341

Poli.2341

First they shoud fix our “rifle” skills. Serously ho thought thet give engineers the rifles as weapons and make the rifles thet they are like shotguns in the hands of engineers do you know how imersion breaking it’s look like when a engineer youse the legendary rifle? You know thet sniper rifle and he/she shoting it like it’s a one tubed scoped shotgun? Most of the rifle skils are actualy good in my opinion but thet freaken hip shot ability breake it for me.

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

For the moment boonhate comes in another way as we thought: they don’t reduce the power of boons, they just create more skill/mechanics which convert/steal/whatever boons. I don’t espect a big nerf for might stacking anymore – maybe they change 4th bonus of runes with second bonus for no multiple use of boon duration.

Anyway, mightstacking affects any class: D/D-ele, only strong because of might stacking, GS-Warrior – only deals more dmg then even hammer or sword/sword because of might stacking, ….

Additional, engineer without mightstacking is much more worth/more powerful then most other classes without mightstacking.

Accept it or not: engineer is a powerful class as the jack of all roles in a game with no roles.

And that’s why we are so sought over in PvE and everyone wants an engineer in their party for high level fractals and such things. /sarcasm

No. Our main weapons are lackluster due to kits (or at least that’s what devs said, in regard to dps) and we’ve got no true melee weapon. Gadgets are useless. Turrets may have some practical use just in pvp, cause they are too squishy in PvE and WvsW. Kits need heavy investment in traits to be actually useful (grenade kit without grenadier and steel-packed powder is useless, bombs without EIB lack survivability – especially in PvE/WvsW) or they’ve got other problems (flamethrower is deadly versus retaliation – deadly to us, though). Elixir too are used just due to their traits, otherwise they would be quite poor as buffs, especially the “toss” versions. Just compare them with other classes’ buffs (like warriors’ shouts). Also, we have basically a single good elite.
We should be “jack of all roles” but we’re too dependant on traits to do that. And we’re penalized for this non-existant versatility, in a game where everyone is more or less versatile. In the end, our best builds are all but versatile, relying on getting a lot of might to do some good damage via conditions (in PvP; in PvE, conditions have got their share of problems).
In the end, we are good just in PvP and just with a couple specialized builds, basically, and we get nerfed all the time because of those.

in Engineer

Forestnator.6298

Ppl don’t want engineers in “high level fractals and such things” because

a) many kitten engineers are out there

b) half of the engineer community has no clue how strong this class is, how can non-engineers have any clue then?

c) ppl cling on roles (WoW-style primary because to much wow-players in here) – wanting full tank guardians and full DDs instead of hybrids – not knowing 5 hybrids are much more powerful then 2 tanks with 2 DDs + anything in this game

d) engineers talk bad about their class not beeing able to play it right.

Apart from a good guardian, an engineer is your best choice in high level fractals.

But let’s get back to topic pls.

(edited by Forestnator.6298)

in Engineer

Posted by: luckywaldo.6089

luckywaldo.6089

I feel like this was true back when there was a kit refinement trait. I haven’t played fractals, or actually, PvE at all since it was removed.

I wouldn’t mind a guide on what engie can bring to fractals, in addition to ’nades+grenadier as that is pretty much a given still.

Ecce Machina ~ Engineer
Ars Est Mortem ~ Necromancer

in Engineer

Forestnator.6298

The big deal with KF and fractals was the second super elixir. Not the 100nades. U can play the same Kit-swapping build now without KF but the new heal turret which supports your team even more then the second super elixir from KF.

in Engineer

Posted by: luckywaldo.6089

luckywaldo.6089

Obviously it was about the 2x super elixir.

I haven’t played with the new healing turret but if that is true, it’s huge, and I am rather excited to try it out. I can’t really imagine it lasting though. After all the 2x super elixir was considered OP and that even required a trait.

Ecce Machina ~ Engineer
Ars Est Mortem ~ Necromancer

in Engineer

Manuhell.2759

The big deal with KF and fractals was the second super elixir. Not the 100nades. U can play the same Kit-swapping build now without KF but the new heal turret which supports your team even more then the second super elixir from KF.

Sure, if it would survive more than a couple seconds. Any AoE pointed at a character will destroy it, since you’ve got to stay near the turret for its effects. And obviously, if your team is near the turret, the enemies are there as well. Even without AoE, often they can just attack and oneshot it.

Returning on topic, on the “why we can’t be like that artwork”, i would say “because devs don’t seem to have a definite vision of this class”.

in Engineer

Forestnator.6298

Heal turret feels not that smooth to me like the second super elixir did. But that’s maybe a l2p problem – I am not used to play with turrets.

For me there are two options to use the turret:

a) set it on a save (backline) spot and just press overcharge every 15 sec for 2500+ party heal and 2 condition removes

b) set the turret where needed, press overcharge, wait for overcharge within 0-3 seconds and let explode the turret in the upcoming waterfield. The explosion combo adds another 1300+ close aoe heal. Preaty nice if you can add some more explosion finisher there.

I am preaty sure btw most devs are in love with bomb engi: the new armor stats (vita(power/tough) are perfect for tanky bomber, also the new heal turrets fits well in a bomb build. Additional they spoke about a buff for bombs in the last state of the game-talk – let’s see where engie goes…

Anyway, we are far away from topic now =)

(edited by Forestnator.6298)

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Its not about how strong this class is, its about how bad kitten you can look while fighting. So, yes, I want shoulder cannons.

in Engineer

Manuhell.2759

Well, i had made a suggestion about that, anyway, but it was part of something like an “elite” kit.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Engineer-elite-skill-force-field/1860145

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

The armor difference between heavy and medium armor is literally 147 Toughness.

I prefer that the Engineer is a medium armor class. Trenchcoats fit Engineers more than plated shoulders.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Skewjo.9243

Skewjo.9243

I prefer that the Engineer is a medium armor class. Trenchcoats fit Engineers more than plated shoulders.

I see your good faith if noone else does! Keep fightin the good fight brothers.

To the OP- It would be AMAZING if they changed the mortar to a CANNON turret that lasted 10 seconds and put out massive AOE. I have no idea how balanced or op this would be, but it would be cool.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

And that’s why we are so sought over in PvE and everyone wants an engineer in their party for high level fractals and such things. /sarcasm

Now tell us how you really feel.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: rivx.3267

rivx.3267

The armor difference between heavy and medium armor is literally 147 Toughness.

All I’m saying is if the original intent was a low damage high toughness class shouldn’t the damage been tweaked a little when that extra armor was taken? I could go on but there’s so many other threads on this and other nerfs and the op wants to talk about something else..

(edited by rivx.3267)

in Engineer

Manuhell.2759

Now tell us how you really feel.

In dungeons? A weight, sometimes. Everything we can do, other classes can do better. Except control, maybe, but we can’t do much when enemies have got defiant stacks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Skewjo.9243

Skewjo.9243

At least 5k dps from the longest range in the game while stacking 25 vuln. It’s pretty good I think…

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

All I’m saying is if the original intent was a low damage high toughness class shouldn’t the damage been tweaked a little when that extra armor was taken?

Not sure I see what armor has to do with damage output. Warrior is one of the best DPS classes in the game and they have the highest health pool and armor value.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Manuhell.2759

Grenades are fairly good when traited, yeah. Even so, at longer ranges they tend to disperse (and so you won’t actually hit with all of them) and after a while, my hands start to hurt. Cause we have to spam to attack. That’s exactly why i avoid using them.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Everything we can do, other classes can do better.

You suffer from a pretty awful inferiority complex.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

I’m with OP, the charrzooka is kitten Shoulder mounted weapons are 1,000x cooler than a bazooka with a rifle grip.
Tabula Rasa had a Leech gun for the engineer class that was shoulder mounted and fired a constant beam. Wasnt the most damaging but was awesome to look at.
only mmo I can think of that ever had a shoulder mounted weapon.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Engineer was first planed as a heavy armored mid and close combat class.

It was and i don’t see why they can’t change it back.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Actually no it’s not unless you ignored PVE entirely.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

andreibianu.8051

Sadly a revamp of this scale at this point wouldn’t possible . But that doesn’t mean they can’t still save the day and make the cannoneer a new class . That way there would be 3 heavy classes just like the medium and light .

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

really? do you know how hard i have to try to match even a fraction of a thieve’s damage? oh and by the way, a thief does their damage without might. Engineer needs heavy armor.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Posted by: NickDollahZ.5348

NickDollahZ.5348

Sadly a revamp of this scale at this point wouldn’t possible . But that doesn’t mean they can’t still save the day and make the cannoneer a new class . That way there would be 3 heavy classes just like the medium and light .

Or they could turn the hobo bag Grenade chucker kit into a Grenade launcher.

:)

in Engineer

Posted by: jniel.3581

jniel.3581

Everything we can do, other classes can do better.

You suffer from a pretty awful inferiority complex.

No, engineers are just inferior you just don’t fully realize just how bad we suck nerf until you play another profession under similar circumstances (Yes I have). Engineers are 80% fubar at this point and need a LOT of GOOD attention. Not more nerfs and “we can only code patches rendering 25% of your traits non-functional” (see turret traits and more).

in Engineer

Posted by: Hybelkaninen.3087

Hybelkaninen.3087

If you want a cool Engineer/Cannoneer…buy TorchLight 2.
….I’m not kidding, you’d be surprised over how fun they are there.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

No, engineers are just inferior you just don’t fully realize just how bad we suck nerf until you play another profession under similar circumstances.

I have a level 80 Guardian and level 80 Warrior, arguably the two strongest professions in PvE right now.

I still take my Engineer into dungeons all the time.

Nobody dies. The sky doesn’t fall. The world does not end.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Macha.9160

Macha.9160

No, engineers are just inferior you just don’t fully realize just how bad we suck nerf until you play another profession under similar circumstances.

I have a level 80 Guardian and level 80 Warrior, arguably the two strongest professions in PvE right now.

I still take my Engineer into dungeons all the time.

Nobody dies. The sky doesn’t fall. The world does not end.

Yeah, 2 Warriors, 2 Guardians, Engi… Nobody dies

To be honest. In PvE we are one of the weaker professions. Not because we are weak, it’s because most of the things we can do, other classes can do as good as or even better as we can.

Back to Topic:
I for myself would like a Cannon Elite, maybe change it with Mortar…
But i want to use turrents more But we all agree they are broken, one way or another

in Engineer

Posted by: Lantz.7240

Lantz.7240

HGH is great but what us do we have? Maybe a SD build which is ok and certain bunker builds that are decent but nothing I would say truly stands out. That combine with turrets and gadgets being way underpowered I hardly call us one of the strongest classes. Not trying to attack you by the way if thats how it comes off.

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Here’s hoping that when the skills are eventually expanded in a future expac we’ll get a shoulder-mounted-cannon kit with long range capability but with a different purpose than bombs & ‘nades. If nothing else, it’ll look bamf

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

andreibianu.8051

If we ever get a cannon I feel that the attack sound would be of critical importance .
Hell , half of the reason of using a cannon is to hear the boom . Sadly most weapons in this game have lackluster sound effects . The rifle sound like a bike tire blowing out , the pistol sounds like a stapler doing the cha-cha and the flamethrower…well let’s just say it’s the closest you’ll ever come to hearing a wet towel dispenser dry-humping a piece of meat.