Celestial PvE?

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Killamari.7931

Killamari.7931

Would a build with Celestial stats be viable in PvE as sort of a DPS/Support hybrid? Or are too many of the stats just being wasted?

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Open world, whatever you want. In a dungeon I think celestial dps/support hybrid would be a tough sell.

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Eluniel.2379

Eluniel.2379

In my opinion it would be good. Combine your celestial gear with flexibility of your kits and you can create good support/damage hybrid you will be great help with your combo fields and finishers.

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

Why would you need celestial stats to be supportive?
Engineer brings tons of support through might/vulnerability stacking, group stealth, group condi cleanse, and loads of control.
In my opinion the stats are a complete waste in a dungeon setting. In solo pve, use whatever you want.

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Why would you need celestial stats to be supportive?
Engineer brings tons of support through might/vulnerability stacking, group stealth, group condi cleanse, and loads of control.
In my opinion the stats are a complete waste in a dungeon setting. In solo pve, use whatever you want.

It’s not a complete waste, it’s just not 100% optimized. It’s actually not bad to combine some celestial gear with some berserker. Having the extra healing power helps the entire team since our best heal is an AoE regen machine, and the extra vitality/toughness are always useful. Celestial also gives significantly more total points than any other stat combo.

See this reddit thread about gear optimization with celestial stats. Some gear is actually worth getting it for.

Edit: The percentages listed are the celestial item’s numerical stat total increase above any other gear stats.

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I run celestial Flamethrower and Elixir Gun on dungeons. Its subpar and not recommended for speed obsesed people. But is incredibly though, flexible and fun.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

MiniEquine.6014

I run celestial Flamethrower and Elixir Gun on dungeons. Its subpar and not recommended for speed obsesed people. But is incredibly though, flexible and fun.

Loads of might stacking, an extra heal, and extra AoE regen, condition cleanse on a stick; what’s not to love?

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Loads of might stacking, an extra heal, and extra AoE regen, condition cleanse on a stick; what’s not to love?

crap dps in a dps-centric environment

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

MiniEquine.6014

It’s not crap, it’s just lower than grenades/bombs. Still, when I run it, I don’t see much of a significant difference anyway. If the player is not just standing there doing AA damage, it does deal quite a bit. The main difference is that some of it is locked behind condition damage through burns.

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

It’s not crap, it’s just lower than grenades/bombs. Still, when I run it, I don’t see much of a significant difference anyway. If the player is not just standing there doing AA damage, it does deal quite a bit. The main difference is that some of it is locked behind condition damage through burns.

idk, you asked. to the speed obsessed crowd, if you arent first… youre last. so yeah, its crap. :P

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Celestial is the laziness set since it gives a lot of defensive stats (1500 total) but the DPS hit isn’t as severe as it would be if you took soldier, knight, etc. That said it really is a laziness/crutch thing rather than a conscious minmax choice, because the healing power isn’t going to benefit your allies THAT mich.

On the other hand, if you’re like me and have decided that you’re done giving pugs free rides through dungeons, but at the same time you’d like runs to end eventually, Celestial is great.

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

but the DPS hit isn’t as severe as it would be if you took soldier, knight, etc.

do you have numbers to back that up

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Celestial, lazy. I’m continuously baffled by what the meaning of this set has become since it existed. o.o

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Celestial in PvE got seriuous hit after might nerf. In dungeons with pugs its still really good choice but if you wanna focus on speed runs zerk will be definetly better because nothing like support/hybrid isnt really needed full dps is currently best way.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Mork vom Ork.2598

Mork vom Ork.2598

If you’re planning on only making one set of ascended armor, because the price of damask bolts makes you cry, celestial is great. It will fit various specs and is also viable in WvW.
If you’re min-maxing for PvE, Berserker (and/or Assassin) is the way to go (except for husk duty @ giant worm).

Still loving the smell of Napalm
Bill Kilgore – [BIER] – Seafarer’s Rest random Megaserver

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ezekel.6394

Ezekel.6394

It depends on what PvE your talking about.

In open world I think Celestial works quite well. If Silverwastes are anything to go by then Conditions are starting to be half decent and being able to not die to getting terragriffed in the back is really useful. The healing power is also useful to keep the zerg alive which helps not failing the big meta events. Obviously your own DPS won’t be as good but Engineers have never been DPS heavy anyways.

In dungeons it is absolutely not worth it. The defensive stats aren’t useful, healing power is completely unnecessary and without the high crit chance of Zerk/Assassins you won’t be stacking Vuln like you should, which is one of the biggest things that an Engineer brings to dungeons.

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Use whatever armor set you like in PvE! I guarantee you it’ll work! PvE in this game is a joke! Celestial has the added benefit of being really good in WvW when mixed with Knights armor! One set to rule them all!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

but the DPS hit isn’t as severe as it would be if you took soldier, knight, etc.

Really? Soldier have 1087 power as the only offensive stats, while celestial give 1497 offensive stats (power, precision, ferocity), it even 1996 offensive stats if you count condition damage. Celestial only have an average dps compare to zerker/assassin, but it still better than soldier/knight.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Celestial, lazy. I’m continuously baffled by what the meaning of this set has become since it existed. o.o

it means your options are:

1) Run full zerk and have no defense, die in one hit, etc. Your pugs contribute no damage so you having to do this for like 5 minutes every encounter and if you mess up once you die.

2) Run full tank and just facetank everything. Your pugs still do no DPS so now no one is doing anything, and you take 20 minutes per encounter and then someone has to drop because his parents are calling him for dinner or his baby just woke up or he has class or whatever, then the pugs you get to fill the slot kick you all and sell the instance.

3) You run Celestial and facetank everything and you still have some DPS, so things still die. Not as fast as if you were zerk but you can facetank and still be able to kill things so maybe the dungeon will actually get done without requiring you to be a massive tryhard.

Obviously #3 is the best choice for pugs.

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

Really? Soldier have 1087 power as the only offensive stats, while celestial give 1497 offensive stats (power, precision, ferocity), it even 1996 offensive stats if you count condition damage. Celestial only have an average dps compare to zerker/assassin, but it still better than soldier/knight.

yes i was asking cuz i havent thought about it and didnt particularly care to, because why go full soldier or knight in pve :/

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: Mister Fluffkin.7358

Mister Fluffkin.7358

it means your options are:

1) Run full zerk and have no defense, die in one hit, etc. Your pugs contribute no damage so you having to do this for like 5 minutes every encounter and if you mess up once you die.

2) Run full tank and just facetank everything. Your pugs still do no DPS so now no one is doing anything, and you take 20 minutes per encounter and then someone has to drop because his parents are calling him for dinner or his baby just woke up or he has class or whatever, then the pugs you get to fill the slot kick you all and sell the instance.

3) You run Celestial and facetank everything and you still have some DPS, so things still die. Not as fast as if you were zerk but you can facetank and still be able to kill things so maybe the dungeon will actually get done without requiring you to be a massive tryhard.

Obviously #3 is the best choice for pugs.

Im running full berserk in all types of pve up to fractals 50. Believe me, there are like 10-15 enemies in the whole game that are able to 1-shot you, and 90% of them will 1-shot you with celestial as well. Also, these enemies are pretty easy dodge-/blockable if you know them, so better run tool kit i.e. than running defensive stats, this will increase your sustain much better.
In pve, theres absolutly no reason to run anything except full zerk…

And dont get me wrong, im not one of those “15k ap, full zerk only”-guys. I personally would love to see reasons to equip more defensively, but gw2´s pve content simply dont offers a single one.

I got a celestial set(and lots of others, i love to try out stuff) as well, but the damage is such a desaster compared to zerk, i wouldnt recommend it. The only thing thats comparable(superior in different scenarios) is sinister/rampager.

This of course is only about pve, in pvp/wvw celestial is of course super awesome!

Celestial PvE?

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

That’s what you get when the game allows you to parry, dodge, and nullify even mere autoattacks. If players don’t take unavoidable damage when attacked, there’s no reason for them to stuff themselves defensively, that’s totally understandable.

My comment on Celestial Rifle was on a rather general case, mostly PvP and WvW, explained below. But it’s sort of off topic to get in there so I’m wrapping this.

I’m one of those who tried out and then stuck with Celestial + Rifle waaaay before its time, it barely was a thing more than one year ago, in an era where noone would take you seriously if your enginner wasn’t that one dull Dire/Settler/Rabid Pistol-Shield wearer. The people I’ve encouraged to try Celestial only gave a ‘meh’ feedback to me. The results felt awesome, like being an actual combat engineer, didn’t insist much in getting others to try, have met a few others in the same situation.

After an extended break, I’m still baffled to see what it has become, and the opinions and thoughts about it: Meta, lame, cheesy, borderline overpowered, a no-brainer when looking to fight other players. The buff to the Celestial Amulet had quite the lasting impact.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

(edited by MrForz.1953)