Charr or Asura for Engineer?

in Engineer

Posted by: EightBallJunior.3208

EightBallJunior.3208

Okay, so I know any race can fit nearly any class in GW2. But do you guys think the Asura or the Charr would fit a better engineer?

At first I thought it was a Charr because it seemed to have the perfect steampunk type of balance to fit the rusty turrets and flintlock pistols, but now I’m not so sure.

in Engineer

Posted by: Saephaan.7285

Saephaan.7285

Well, if you roleplay or like lore defenitely choose charr cause they invented the profession or at least started using it as a form of combat. At least thats what I read on other forum posts.

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Well, if you roleplay or like lore defenitely choose charr cause they invented the profession or at least started using it as a form of combat. At least thats what I read on other forum posts.

Yea its canon. The engineer as the gw universe knows it was “invented” by charr and all the kits you use are also charr designed weapons.

Here a quote from the official wiki:

Engineer technology really developed with the Charr first and foremost. And its [sic] one of the specialties developed by the Charr Iron Legion. When we talk about the Engineer he is very much a Combat-Engineer and good in inventing things that are useful in a combat situation. The Iron Legion is the start of all of this, and the Engineer profession has spread to the other races from there. The People of Tyria have seen it in combat over the past few years and have seen the effectiveness of an engineer. And so you are going to see Engineers of all races although it is a little bit more common to see a Charr Engineer than anybody else. So it all started with the Charr and their technological development.1

in Engineer

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

You’d think if Charr created all those kits they’d know how to make them not clip through every part of their body T_T

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

You’d think if Charr created all those kits they’d know how to make them not clip through every part of their body T_T

…or float a mile behind them.. but yea lets keep that to the hobosack topic

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Both are great but Asura is much more cute:-) Also is really hard to find any at least decent looking medium armor on Charr.

Attachments:

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

Asuran cultural armor looks sick nasty for an engineer. I kick myself every day for making my Engi a human and not an Asura.

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I would say Asura.

In PvE, the FT mightstack combo is pretty bread and butter for an engi to stack might with, and since asura are both the smallest and shortest race in the game, with the way Flame Blast is designed currently, that combo is easiest to do on them.

Charrs are on the opposite spectrum for being tall and wide, so its a nightmare mightstacking with a flamethrower on them.

Anet has also openly stated that Charrs are a minority race in the game and so fixing all the clipping issues with them are low on their agenda.

All in all, I would advice not playing a charr engi unless you really love the race that much.

in Engineer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

I would say Asura.

In PvE, the FT mightstack combo is pretty bread and butter for an engi to stack might with, and since asura are both the smallest and shortest race in the game, with the way Flame Blast is designed currently, that combo is easiest to do on them.

Charrs are on the opposite spectrum for being tall and wide, so its a nightmare mightstacking with a flamethrower on them.

Anet has also openly stated that Charrs are a minority race in the game and so fixing all the clipping issues with them are low on their agenda.

All in all, I would advice not playing a charr engi unless you really love the race that much.

Size of your character doesn’t make any difference at all.

in Engineer

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

of the 2 i’d pick charr because they look cooler and fit the class more,
or asura if you plan on pvping, simply because they’re the one and only pvp race.

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Charr is the heart of combat engineers and the technology used in most of skills kind of belongs to them. However, looking good is slightly more difficult, but manageable.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

Designed by the Charr, mastered by the Asura.

in Engineer

Posted by: Depths.4051

Depths.4051

The correct answer is Sylvarie, don’t forget Scarlett was the greatest engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

And wheeeere did she study? :P Mainly charr and asura ^^ My engi is a charr but this is because it fits so good to me and his “personality”. However I’d say you do the following things before choosing:

• make a charr and an asura and take a look at your wardrobe at the bank. do some designs and decide wich one you like
  • designs, ideas, what do you want to be? aetherblade, futuristic = asura / aetherblade, steampunk, dirty = charr
  • maybe some race has a special face, color, cultural armor or something that you want
  • keep in mind that you see more of a charr armor than a tiny asura (but you’ll se what i mean in point 1)

about the size doesn’t affect anything thing – i’m pretty sure it does affect the start point of projectiles and since the flame blast is normally caused in a napalm field, you’d be better with an asura. However it’s a minor difference and i’ll test it if I’m definitly right.

greez Ziggy

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Spyritdragon.6048

Spyritdragon.6048

I personally have an Asura, but then again, i love asura more than any race and 80% of all my characters are Asura xD. I love everything about them.

From an objective point of view though, compared to the Charr body i run as in Fractals, the Asura have the big bonus for me that the hobosacks look better on them than on the other races, and lets face it, you’ll spend a whole lot of time with a hobosack on your back.

Although this is up for debate, as mentioned above, Asura also seem to have a slightly easier time picking nice medium armour (unless you’re looking at a female asura, in which case while the armour is still nice, many people are disappointed by the armour being the same as male armour) compared to charr.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Size of your character doesn’t make any difference at all.

Incorrect.

Napalm, as a fire-field, is a really low wall that many projectiles will over-shoot if they come from a high angle (norn / char / elevated terrain). Napalm is as high as a Line of warding and under certain terrain-conditions (like stairs or downhill) you can easily jump over it as well.
And that is why might-stacking on FT is such a pain in the kitten for big races. Not only do we have to blow #2 perfectly timed inside this narrow strip, if our target is slightly above us, we will miss the blast completely.
Norn and Charr already have a high spawn-position for FT #2 and projectiles in general, therefore it is even worse on them to blast napalm. Sylvari and Humans are affected by this inconvenience as well, but not as heavily as the first 2.
Asura on the other hand are small and their projectile spawn is relatively close to the ground, which widens the angle, in which FT #2 would pass napalm, by a wide margin.

Therefore yes, for combo-finishing a wall with projectile-finishers, size matters a lot. And since might-stacking is something that is in theory very easy to accomplish with FT, it’s a shame that only Asura are able to pull it off reliably, or at least in a forgiving manner.
I don’t say Charr or Norn are unable to pull it off, they just have a really hard time doing so.

And that is why people want to have the hight of napalm being increased as high as a Wall of Reflection or changing it into a spherical field.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

^ as well as that, I’m still testing between my 2 engineers (asura and human, deleted my norn engi) since I just noticed this recently but it does seem like asura has a easier time getting the ball to not hit the ground before you can detonate it either.

Maybe it’s just me, or it might be something to do with your camera angle on different races.

Anyhow, I really wish they would just make Flame Blast travel perpendicular to the ground.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I’d say the best thing is to make one of each and test wardrobes as mentioned earlier.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds