Choose a month for mortar change!

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Mortar has yet to get any changes and if it ever will, no one knows. So how about we make a game about it? Guess what month and year will we ever see a change for it and if you are correct, you win 1g! yay!! (So sue me I’m poor)

Just choose a month and year like.. January 2012. The first person to post that month gets that month and you can only have one guess. Any edited posts are disqualified. Also any posts made a day near when patch notes are up and it happens don’t count.

So go ahead pick a month! You got nothing to lose!

in Engineer

Posted by: Whelm.9072

Whelm.9072

January 2012

I’m pretty good at this

My second guess is Nevergonnhappenember 3000

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

Next patch.
The answer is always “Next Patch”

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I wouldn’t expect anything to be done to mortar for quite some time. That thing needs to be more-or-less completely reworked, it’s not a “next patch” kind of fix.

In the end, it doesn’t matter what they change it to if it doesn’t provide something that makes it more attractive than supply crate. And in a general sense, not just a situational one.

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

I bet you 10 gold it’s not going to happen this year. Anyone?

in Engineer

Posted by: pawky.8630

pawky.8630

October 2013…

in Engineer

Posted by: pawky.8630

pawky.8630

Actually didn’t they change the turret trait that improves the damage and range on turrets to also work on mortar?
I remember testing it and I discovered the traited mortar actually has further range than traited nades due to the aoe circle being larger thus increasing the range by the difference in radius.
Not that I ever play with it traited and only in specific situations.

(edited by pawky.8630)

in Engineer

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

Any changes to the mortar in a patch? Yeah, sure. I guess… October 2012.

Hey, guess what? I win!

Mortar: This skill is now properly affected by the Inventions trait Rifled Turret Barrels.

Pleasure doing business with you.

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

This was a bug fix not an actually worthy change that would make it viable

in Engineer

Penguin.5197

Ha fine I’ll take that bet

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

Ha fine I’ll take that bet

Fine! By change it means an actual modification. Not a bug fix (not working with certain traits, or not shooting strait, etc).

You will hear from me in January 1 2014

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Next expansion, seriously.
To make the mortar good in this version, you need to change too many things. And it’s highly unlikely they would do that at this point in the game.

Not sure about the exact month of the expansion, but that one

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Super Riceman.8702

Super Riceman.8702

To make the mortar good in this version, you need to change too many things. And it’s highly unlikely they would do that at this point in the game.

I disagree that they have to change a lot to it, the skills would work if they just made it into a kit that way you can use it while on the move and make the projectiles faster. The main problem I have is that everything seems to be out of range unless you set it up next to your target and if it were a kit that wouldn’t be.

It would synergize with the existing kit traits and not everyone would have to go grenades.

The other option is to make it have very long range and that seems boring

There is only one god and its name is nerf. There is only one thing we say to nerf, not today

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

I disagree that they have to change a lot to it, the skills would work if they just made it into a kit that way you can use it while on the move and make the projectiles faster. The main problem I have is that everything seems to be out of range unless you set it up next to your target and if it were a kit that wouldn’t be.

It would synergize with the existing kit traits and not everyone would have to go grenades.

The other option is to make it have very long range and that seems boring

Basic changes I see are these:

it needs defenses so the heal and knockback should be minimum range.

it also should be more resilient to damage, since it gets destroyed far too easy.
Making it a kit would solve that of course.

It also needs some attacking speed. That global cooldown is way overdoing it.
Increasing the attack speed, would increase the damage even if the numbers get lowered a bit as the speed gets increased.

these are the minimal, and they are already a lot.
Turning it into a kit is actually a much bigger change even.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

i wish the mortar worked similar to BF3 mortar… like you activate it and then aim it through map with like portal range + a dmg boost or something like that, would obviously need to be shown up on the map for the enemy team though.

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I’m going to go with…August 2013. It’ll be a nerf.

in Engineer

Penguin.5197

I’m going to go with…August 2013. It’ll be a nerf.

lol range reduced by half maybe?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Why does mortar exist? It does less dmg than nades, it’s slower, cannot crit/proc traits, stationary, cannot hit things nearby, and its range isn’t even that good.

Am I supposed to be impressed by this skill?

in Engineer

Penguin.5197

Why does mortar exist? It does less dmg than nades, it’s slower, cannot crit/proc traits, stationary, cannot hit things nearby, and its range isn’t even that good.

Am I supposed to be impressed by this skill?

It tried to do everything..chill, heal, knockbacks, long range etc but in the end it came out so bad it doesn’t do anything effectively.

Mortar should take a hint from the sniper rifles in Diessa plateau do the long range killing thing better; 5000 range and no arcing.

(Surprisingly 5000 range isn’t that long when it takes into account elevation)

Attachments:

(edited by Penguin.5197)

in Engineer

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Mortar:
Randomly grant a mortar or 3 grenade kits that you and your allies can use.
(1% chance of spawning a mortar)
(99% chance of spawning 3 grenade kit environmental weapons that you and your allies can use)
Duration: 30 seconds.

Effective mid-June 2013

Alternative:
Engineers are now able to equip an utility skill on their elite slot. (Though they won’t get the toolbelt skill from it)

Alternative:
Transform into a giant quaggan that uses grenade kit.
Duration: 30 seconds.
Swiftness 15 seconds
Stability 15 seconds
Quickness 5 seconds.
Changes your weapon skills to grenade skills.
Stomps every 5 seconds to cause AOE knockdown.

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

The mortar has the same problem as the rest of the class – it tries to do everything and ends up with a lot of mediocre or situationally restricted bits.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

If we had an extra slot for utility skills rather than an elite, that would be great. Especially since we waste so many utility slots equipping weapon kits.

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

If we had an extra slot for utility skills rather than an elite, that would be great. Especially since we waste so many utility slots equipping weapon kits.

We do. We have four, actually.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tool_belt

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

He ment Utility not Tool belt.

Indeed it would be nice to have 1 extra slot. Or at least to be able to choose any skill in place of Elite. This would boost versatility up.

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

Indeed it would be nice to have 1 extra slot. Or at least to be able to choose any skill in place of Elite. This would boost versatility up.

Utility, Tool Belt. What’s the difference?

We get to pick what extra skills we want to bring in our Tool Belt by changing what utilities we have loaded. Tool Belt skills’ cooldowns are independent of utility skill cooldowns. No other profession gets to have four interchangeable extra skills as their F1-F4 skills.

And now we need moar because four isn’t enough.

in Engineer

Posted by: Numot.3965

Numot.3965

The mortar has the same problem as the rest of the class – it tries to do everything and ends up with a lot of mediocre or situationally restricted bits.

Actually mortar’s biggest problem is the grenade kit is similar in function and stronger overall.

Mortar is a stationary deployable, in a game were you need to generally be moving or avoiding something.

in Engineer

lorazcyk.8927

We get to pick what extra skills we want to bring in our Tool Belt by changing what utilities we have loaded. Tool Belt skills’ cooldowns are independent of utility skill cooldowns. No other profession gets to have four interchangeable extra skills as their F1-F4 skills.

No you don’t.
You don’t have weapon swap, you lose 5 skills.
You can choose either toolbelt or utility skills, you can’t choose both toolbelt and utility skills. There are a lot of skills I want for the toolbelt, but don’t use the utility skill because I didn’t want it. And a lot of skills I want for the utility skill, but don’t want the toolbelt. If we could choose toolbelt skills independently, it would be a lot better.
You can use a kit to have another weapon, but you lose a utility slot for it. (since your utility slot is now weapon swap. Now you might say “but you gained a toolbelt”, but I didn’t gain anything, because I didn’t choose that skill, the game chose it for me.

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

No you don’t.
You don’t have weapon swap, you lose 5 skills.
You can choose either toolbelt or utility skills, you can’t choose both toolbelt and utility skills. There are a lot of skills I want for the toolbelt, but don’t use the utility skill because I didn’t want it. And a lot of skills I want for the utility skill, but don’t want the toolbelt. If we could choose toolbelt skills independently, it would be a lot better.
You can use a kit to have another weapon, but you lose a utility slot for it. (since your utility slot is now weapon swap. Now you might say “but you gained a toolbelt”, but I didn’t gain anything, because I didn’t choose that skill, the game chose it for me.

I do not see your point.

There are skills I want on my flamethrower, and there are skills I’d rather substitute for others. There are skills I want on my staff fire attunement, and there are skills I’d rather substitute for others. There are skills I like stealing from people on my thief, and there are things I’d rather not steal. The game isn’t always a pick-and-choose smörgåsbord. You do what you can with what you have available. This does not change the fact that you have some control over what extra skills you bring into battle. No other profession can brag about that.

Also, you do gain a toolbelt skill. Just because you don’t have complete control over what you’re given, it doesn’t mean you don’t gain it.

in Engineer

lorazcyk.8927

I don’t think Mortar could be changed to be more effective or worth using.

We have two turret elite skills, and one elixir elite skill.
Mortar is pretty much same as grenade kit.
How about a gadget?

Ellite skill
Gadget
Drop bombs and leap backwards (like elixir gun #4)

• Drops 3 normal bombs where you are before you leap.
  • Autodefense Bomb Dispenser trait gives an extra bomb, Smoke Bomb (if stealth would be overpowered, then they could make it so the smoke bomb is dropped 1 second later, so the combo doesn’t trigger. Or it could drop a bomb every 0.25 seconds instead of all at once, with the smoke bomb being the last one)
  • Leap finisher
  • Break stun
    180s recharge

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

I feel like we have enough “blind self-knockback” abilities (rifle #4, elixir gun #4, rocket boots). If anything of the sort, give me a proper leap, as we only have rifle #5 for that, and many choose to give up the rifle for the pistol/shield or pistol/pistol.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

It would be pretty neat for Rocket Boots, at the very least, to be aimable – and not knock down their user.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Well, “next patch” wasn’t the right answer!

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Mortar has yet to get any changes and if it ever will, no one knows. So how about we make a game about it? Guess what month and year will we ever see a change for it and if you are correct, you win 1g! yay!! (So sue me I’m poor)

Just choose a month and year like.. January 2012. The first person to post that month gets that month and you can only have one guess. Any edited posts are disqualified. Also any posts made a day near when patch notes are up and it happens don’t count.

So go ahead pick a month! You got nothing to lose!

Meanwhile warriors get yet another bonus this time to their racial elite skills. Whens the Charrzooka going to get the benefits from all of the sundry explosive/fire bonuses? Or the shrapnel mine? Seriously go over and look at their forum.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

lorazcyk.8927

Neat! I just made a warrior recently as per the suggestions on the “Fun professions like engineer, but more powerful” thread.
Looks like I’m in for a good ride!
(He’s Lv 10, so far he’s fun and powerful… love axe/mace! )

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

Neat! I just made a warrior recently as per the suggestions on the “Fun professions like engineer, but more powerful” thread.
Looks like I’m in for a good ride!
(He’s Lv 10, so far he’s fun and powerful… love axe/mace! )

I was once very upset on my weak engineer and made a Warrior to lv 80. Being used to the engi I played the war so carefully I don’t remember ever dieing. But I have to admit I was bored to hell and i switched back. Permanently!

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Mortar counts as a turret, and guess what: it’s suffering from the same flaws as turrets…

They won’t fix the mobility, which is fine.
But just like turrets it needs better damage avoidance.

And my suggestions to make it a lot better:

1. The heal must have zero range so it can be used on ourselves
2. knockback must have zero range so it can be used to keep enemies at bay longer
3. the other skills need that global cooldown reduced, so it can hit faster

Fix these, and you might have a force to reckon with.

in Engineer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

no sane person will bet against that…