Coated Bullets

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

I just tested out Coated Bullets in PvP, and it can tag more than 5 targets on each attack. Specifically, I tagged six targets at the end of each attack, with three probably tagged by the piercing nature of the shots, and the other three affected by the AOE per hit of the piercing shot.

Does this mean that it can tag a max of 20/25 targets if the targets are heavily clustered for pistol 1, and 25 targets for pistol 2?

(The 20/25 values for pistol 1 are computed as follows: 5 max targets tagged by the pierce, and 5 targets tagged by the exploding.)

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

There is no limit to the enemies you can hit as long as they all are in range of the attack.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

Wasn’t it said somewhere that you can tag around a max of 5 enemies per attack?

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: Wasdclick.1764

Wasdclick.1764

You can tag around 5 enemies per AoE. But the piercing attack of the Coated Bullet will trigger the AoE each time it hits a target, allowing you to trigger the AoE a buncha times.

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: Aprinz.3412

Aprinz.3412

I am gonna try this against stacked WvW zergs!

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: cottage.3274

cottage.3274

I am gonna try this against stacked WvW zergs!

if you didn’t tried it you are in for a pleasant surprise.
that’s why i love the pistol in wvw get a good spot and snipe the zerg and see the aoe roll:)
use it with sharpshooter & sigil of earth so your piercing aoe can bleed also.

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

There’s a handy trick with coated bullets as well. You can test it on the dummies in the Heart of the Mists.

Basically, if you hit a target just within maximum range, they are hit by both the pierce effect and the final explosion, meaning you can hit the same target (or cluster) twice with a single use of explosive shot. They have to be pretty much at the apex of the shot, so it’s not something that can be done very consistently in the heat of battle (especially once they close in), but it’s very nice if you can position yourself at range such as in big WvW scrums.

Also something of note, I believe the attack will only apply bleed to the primary target. So although the AoE burst of explosive shot will hit multiple enemies, only the one that was actually hit by the bullet to trigger the explosion will suffer from bleeding. I haven’t tested this is some time, but I’m fairly certain that was the case. However, the secondary targets will still suffer bleed from other sources like bleed chance on crit.

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

cottage.3274

Also something of note, I believe the attack will only apply bleed to the primary target. So although the AoE burst of explosive shot will hit multiple enemies, only the one that was actually hit by the bullet to trigger the explosion will suffer from bleeding. I haven’t tested this is some time, but I’m fairly certain that was the case. However, the secondary targets will still suffer bleed from other sources like bleed chance on crit.

you are correct it will apply the explosive shot bleed only to the primary target and the effected targets from the aoe will not bleed.
to bleed (burn w/e) the effected aoe targets you need other sources like you said bleed chance on crit or incendiary powder (that`s why i highly recommend to take this things).
they also double dip with the piercing and its effected aoe targets.

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

to add a bit more, the primary target can be plural. every target hit directly by the piercing bullet will have explosive shots innate bleed attached.

The 5 point firearms trait, sharpshooter, can apply its bleed to every single target hit, on every single hit. Meaning if a target is hit 3 times due to the aoe explosion hitting multiple targets, the target could possibly get 3 stacks of sharpshooter bleed with 1 shot.

in wvw… eh.. 300 damage even 3 times is kindof pathetic.
The nerfed damage on explosive shot, as well as innately lower then rifle weapon damage of pistols, make it not very impressive.

(edited by Casia.4281)

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: Sporadicus.1028

Sporadicus.1028

Technically, you can affect someone up to three times with the Coated Bullets trait on a #1 auto attack. The affected person has to be in between two other people, though.

1st hit is from the AOE of the bullet hitting the person in front of the affected person.
2nd hit is from the bullet hitting the affected person.
3rd hit is from the AOE of the bullet hitting the person behind the affected person.

Malkin Rawl – Charr Engineer, Tarnished Coast
Loudmouth, lousy PvPer, and mediocre PvEer.
I don’t own, I just play

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Technically, you can affect someone up to three times with the Coated Bullets trait on a #1 auto attack. The affected person has to be in between two other people, though.

1st hit is from the AOE of the bullet hitting the person in front of the affected person.
3rd hit is from the AOE of the bullet hitting the person behind the affected person.

In other words, we are the bane of conga lines everywhere.

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

@casia, shrapnel doesnt affect explosive shot

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

cottage.3274

i think he meant sharpshooter as he said 5 points in firearms,shrapnel indeed doesn’t affect explosive shot.

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Sporadicus.1028

PRECISELY!

I don’t own, I just play

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I love this guy. This is why engineers are cool.

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Sporadicus.1028

Well, in old EQland, you would see plenty of monsters doing the conga as they chased a poor character afraid for his life.

But in that game, you never got to hear the monsters’ singing over the player’s scream of “TRAIN!”

I don’t own, I just play

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

coated bullets is increasingly becoming a must have for me for precisely this reason.

not an easy combo to get off but...

static shield (5) throw to daze a group, pistol #3, pistol #1 while run in to shield (4) knock back to interrupt everyone, rocket boots away, pistol #2 while strafing (which lines them up again), pistol #1, pistol #3 while using slick shoes as you run through the group again, this whip out the prybar and start kittening faces OR pain inverter and cycle the combo all over again.. (not my fault you didnt choose asura!)

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

Coated Bullets

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

i think he meant sharpshooter as he said 5 points in firearms,shrapnel indeed doesn’t affect explosive shot.

yes I did, sorry about that. edited.