Coming Back after 2 years what should I know

in Engineer

Posted by: ArcticWind.2096

ArcticWind.2096

Q:

I used a "Flame Tank" build for the engineer and I see there is hate out there for it now that the game has matured.

I didnt quite level all the way, but now that I have a better processor I think I am going to give it another shot.

Basically my questions is what should I know? Please feel free to rant as it is most helpful.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Hm…
Leveling got a overhaul which lets you rush the first 10 levels in 2h or less, but then goes back to the normal xp-gain.
Acended Armor / weapons / trinkets are introduced to the game, giving you roughly 5% better stats compared to exotic gear, but also allow for infusion-slots which further increase your stats a bit. Mainly infusions are used for agony-resistance in fractals tho.

Furthermore, all PvE content now is covered by a mega-server system, ensuring that all PvE maps are decently populated, regardless how small your Server is. And yea, Servers also still exist, but they are basically just WvW-teams and don’t matter for PvE or PvP anymore.

The engi received quite a few buffs and also a few nerfs, but for details I’d recommend the patchnotes. Balance patches are released roughly in a 6-month period.

Licving World Season 2 just got finished and we currently wait for Gw2’s first expansion-pack, Heart of Thorns.

- No new Dungeons (just a reworked path in Twilight-Arbor) since release.
- 3 new Fractal maps and 2 new Fractal Boss maps.
- A plethora of new skins
- No new Legendaries (but new ones are announced for the expansion)
- 1 new grandmaster-trait (#13) for all traitlines for all classes.
- 2 new healing-skills (one of which is a living World relic and totally useless)
- Still pretty long bug-lists for most classes (especially thief, mesmer and engi)
- Zerker/Assassin is still the meta for PvE. Engi is not part of it, but overall perceived as very useful
- Celestial is the current meta for PvP. Engi has a solid spot in it.
- GWEN is still the meta for WvW (but got a huge impact by the recent stability-changes, so is expacted to shift over time, surprisingly in favor of the engi since Slick-shoes is currently OP for stab-ripping)
- Server-sided Lags are still a big issue for most parts of the game, many people still suffer from frequent disconnects, especially in event that many people participate in to the same time.
- The Trading-post is somewhat stable, the feared inflation/devaluation never happened, but gems steadily keep getting more expensive every week, with peak-prizes to special gem-store releases. Still, farming and crafting is rewarding.
- Dungeons are still the best gold-farm (apart from some RNG gambling with the mystical toilet)
- edge of the mist is a new WvW overflow map that is currently the fastest way to level up toons.
- WvW (EoTM) is still the fastest Karma-Farm
- PvP now features reward-tracks than one can unlock dungeon-rewards, crafting mats and exotic items with
- PvP skins are not a thing anymore, your PvE gear is exactly how you look in PvP as well
- Colors are now acc-wide available
- Commander badges are now Acc-wide available (but cost 300g to aquire now)
- Transmutation stones and crystals are taken out of the game, instead you have a acc-wide wardorbe that saves all your unlocked skins (by making the associated item acc or soul-bound), that you then can transmute with transmutation-charges over all itmes you posses as often as you want (or as long as you have charges. new charges are available for map-completion, PvP reward-tracks and ofc in the gem-store)

And a bunch of more stuff.
Oh yea, Lions Arch is now a crater.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Arantheal, I even picked up a few things with that post… Very comprehensive.

Arctic, PvE wise, a lot of dungeon groups like to see people in Zerker gear and running builds that do good DPS. Might and Vulnerability stacking is important and looked to. Grenade Kit is strong in PvE. You can build FT to be OK dps but you never really want to camp a single kit or weapon unless your group is relying on you to apply Vulnerability with Grenades, even then you can throw an occasional Jump Shot or similar into the mix.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

- The Trading-post is somewhat stable, the feared inflation/devaluation never happened, but gems steadily keep getting more expensive every week, with peak-prizes to special gem-store releases. Still, farming and crafting is rewarding.

gems hover between 50-75g per 400 gems and have for a really really long time… even before the UI update for gem conversion. prices spike but have tended back to around 60g/400 for at least a year.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: ArcticWind.2096

ArcticWind.2096

This was all really helpful. I am glad to see the game so healthy.

UPDATE: Almost at 80 now :p. Been having a lot of fun with the end of the story. Did a 0_0 when I spawned in at Lions Gate. Got lost and had no idea where I was supposed to go to level up, but ended up in a volcano and a very full event. Where the is the Mystic Toilet now… I was right next to it. Also was sad that my 2 year old Halloween candy does nothing now hahaha.