Community's Voice: New Weapons for Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: RobinotX.1604

RobinotX.1604

Hey my fellow Engineers,

At Reddit I found a nice topic about what kind of new weapons would you like for certain classes? So as we have the Engineer as my main class I started thinking of what can we give the Engineer?

The Engineer is most of the time a sort of odd one. It doesn’t have any Melee weapons and it uses a shield next to a pistol. So why don’t keep up this walk and think of some ‘genius, Mad Scientist’ set!

Beginning with a weapon many Engineers want to be able to use:

The Hammer

The hammer is only used at the moment by the Heavy Armor classes and both Guardian and Warrior use the hammer. Which is mainly based on Crowd Control.

On the Engineer I want to bring it up a different way.

The Hammer of the Engineer would be based on Explosions/Implosions. Some of you probably know the anime: One Piece. (if not go watch it, its awesome.) Somewhere at the beginning an villain of One Piece uses all of different kinds of gadgets and one of them is a spear with the ability to explode on contact. So I thought why not use this for the Engineer.

Some of you thought about the Engineer Hammer as a Magnetic sort of weapon but in my opinion we could use the Shield for that! And I will come back on that.
Returning on the Hammer

Hammer will be based on Conditons and CC

Abilities:
1: Bash your Foe —> Bash your foe again --> Bash your foe and explodes on contact, makes a Blast Finisher.
2: Hold to heat up your Hammer. Damage and burn durations depends on how long the ability has charged.
3: Leap and slam the hammer in the ground pushing enemies back
4: Slam the ground giving it an implode effect and pull foe’s to the center.
5: Swing your hammer, which sends out a high pitched shockwave which fears/torments your foe

Something like this would be an awesome Hammer for the Engineer. Most traits could be found in the Power Line of the Engineer and traits based on explosions would also help your hammer abilities.

I was talking about Shields just now and I am thinking why not give the engineer dual shield. This gives him a tanky melee variant. It would be a bit like boxing

The Dual Shield

1: Bash your foe —> Bash your foe with an electrified shield and daze him for one second (This effect can not be on the same person for 15 seconds)
2: Magnetize your shield sending projectiles to you and block/absorb them. Reactivate to pull foe’s towards you in a small radius.
3: Coat your shield in Acid. Burning and poison your enemy for the next 3 attacks.

A third weapon people thought about was The Torch. I have some ideas of it but they would also be about explosions and burning. And I think the Engineer has to much of that already. Another idea for the Torch was: it giving buffs on some of your skills with a trait or when used togheter with certain turrets gives an extra effect on them.

Again this is just something I thought of. Maybe some of it is pretty stupid. I hope you guys have much more ideas on this and I would love your feed back on it.

(edited by RobinotX.1604)

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

King Dedede.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

Threads like this will soon be obsolete as Colin has confirmed that the team is working on making all weapons available to all professions.

Yeah; you read that right.

But in the spirit of the thread, and keeping this new information in mind, here are the top three I’m looking forward to most.

1; Hammer
I just plain love the legendary hammer, the Juggernaut, and have wanted it on my engineer for a long time.

2; Staff
Staves or traditionally mage weapons in RPGs, and an engineer is about as far from a mage as you can get thematically. So I’m looking forward to this one just to see what Arena Net does with it. I honestly can’t imagine an engineer with a staff, so it will probably be the first new weapon I use once that patch hits.

3; Main-hand Sword
I started out as a thief with a sword/pistol set, going for a pirate theme. And while I grew to hate the thief and eventually abandoned it my main, Arkham Creed, remains a pirate in my mind and in role play contexts. He’s just upgraded to an airship pirate, so I’m looking forward to seeing the engineer spin on the classic pirate weapon combo.

in Engineer

Posted by: Maiden England.3491

Maiden England.3491

can you give us a link of where he said that please?

Street Regulator

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

can you give us a link of where he said that please?

Certainly.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/7597/Guild-Wars-2-ArenaNets-Master-Plan-for-2013.html

Scroll down to the section labeled “Progression at level 80 expands” and read the second paragraph.

What’s more is that the team is also working very kitten finding a way to make it so that every profession has access to every weapon and their own weapon skills for those previously locked weapons. Engineer plus Hammer? Check.

in Engineer

Posted by: RobinotX.1604

RobinotX.1604

Wait every weapon? Wow, I didnt expect that.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Yeah. Staves, Scepters and Foci will all be some weird things to handle – maybe they’ll have some kind of interaction with Turrets or call out golems or something?

in Engineer

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

Abilities:
1: Bash your foe —> Bash your foe with an electrified shield and daze him for one second

umm… cc on auto attack? nty.

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Engineer

Posted by: Maiden England.3491

Maiden England.3491

it might be so that all classes can use any weapon, but some of the weapons will just be obsolete in comparison to other. engi using a bow for example… its just out of place.

Street Regulator

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Engineer using a bow actually isn’t that weird.

Consider: Hawkeye, from the Avengers, could easily be used as inspiration for the Engineer bow – his ‘superpower’ might be that he’s got great aim, but his modified bow, with its special arrows, is what makes him able to contribute when working alongside Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America. Without his special arrows, he wouldn’t even be able to touch Loki – Loki actually caught one of his arrows without so much as looking where it was first, but was caught off-guard by the explosive tip.

Thus, the Bows could easily be Engineer weapons – the weapon itself might be outdated, but it and its ammunition can be modified beyond their intended parameters, just like the Pistol, Rifle and Shield the Engineer already has doing absurd things.

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

Consider: Hawkeye, from the Avengers, could easily be used as inspiration for the Engineer bow – his ‘superpower’ might be that he’s got great aim, but his modified bow, with its special arrows, is what makes him able to contribute when working alongside Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America. Without his special arrows, he wouldn’t even be able to touch Loki – Loki actually caught one of his arrows without so much as looking where it was first, but was caught off-guard by the explosive tip.

Thus, the Bows could easily be Engineer weapons – the weapon itself might be outdated, but it and its ammunition can be modified beyond their intended parameters, just like the Pistol, Rifle and Shield the Engineer already has doing absurd things.

the ONLY hero in the avengers movie who was true to form was the hulk.

puny god.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Also, Green Arrow.

Really, it’s an old concept. And that’s assuming that professions in Guild Wars 2 are even supposed to be true-to-tradition. The definition of a profession is what the developers decide it is. If they decide that Thieves should be expanded to cast shadow spells with the staff, then it will happen and it will make sense within the world of Tyria. If they decide that Engineers beat people to death with a rubber chicken, then Engineers will be able to beat people to death with a rubber chicken.

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

Also, Green Arrow.

Really, it’s an old concept. And that’s assuming that professions in Guild Wars 2 are even supposed to be true-to-tradition. The definition of a profession is what the developers decide it is. If they decide that Thieves should be expanded to cast shadow spells with the staff, then it will happen and it will make sense within the world of Tyria. If they decide that Engineers beat people to death with a rubber chicken, then Engineers will be able to beat people to death with a rubber chicken.

Fun fact; thieves using shadow magic is already in their lore. How else did you think they teleport and turn invisible? I bet you thought it was just a quirk of the mechanics.

“Oh doing actual stealth is too hard in a MMO, so they just turn invisible. But ‘in world’ they are sneaking.”

Nope. It’s actually magic. They are legitimately teleporting and turning invisible.

(edited by Arkham Creed.7358)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kawloon Fuathach.3807

Kawloon Fuathach.3807

Engineer using a bow actually fits in the world. Take Reeva from the Charr’s personal story for instance. She’s an Engineer that uses a bow as a weapon; not sure what kind of bow, but a bow none-the-less.

Wilhelm The Pursuer

in Engineer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Having looked at the structure and function of a compound bow in real life, I can definitely say that is an engineer’s weapon. Seriously, the thing is a mind-boggling set of gears and pulleys that doesn’t make sense until you’ve fired one a dozen times.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Every weapon for every profession. Somehow this concerns me a little, but mostly very excited about all the possibilities. Say good bye to Balance for the comming months after that happens…

Altough im pretty sure Engineer will be one of those professions that wont get all the weapons. Excuse being, we have kits. But honestly some weapons would be very weird and would take a serious stretch of everyones imagination to work.

I can understand Bows, to fire explosive arrows, and maybe a Stringshot, stuff like that. But then what would the other bow do? There’s 2 kinds. And Greatsword? We’re not much of a slashy profession, doesnt really fit the thematic of Engineer. and we arent magic users so what would we do with a Greatsword? Or an Axe. Or a focus? Or a Staff? Dagger? Sword?

If they want to add new weapons to Engineer i can see them adding Hammer and Mace, maybe one of the Bows. And new weapon kits, which can deliver far better within the theme of the Engineer. Rocketlauncher, Icespray, Tar Gun, Asuran Laser, Powerglove, Railgun, Nailgun Portable Howitzer, the list is pretty long. Most of them already ingame.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

Bows and hammers have been discussed to death – maces can be tied in alongside hammer skills essentially (albeit 3 instead of 5). I’m more interested in non-typical engineer weapons. Staff could easily be viewed as a lightning conduit – possibly using the rarely-utilized charging mechanic (hold it down for greater effect). Wand could also be viewed similarly. Greatsword could possibly be viewed as a gigantic multi-tool, various attachments whipping out of the large blade for different effects. Sword/axe/dagger/etc are a little harder for me to think of, at least from a tech-oriented perspective.

in Engineer

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Greatsword could easily be a melee, AoE condition damage weapon. All the other Engineer weapons act as if mechanically altered, so I imagine that would as well.
It could have a lot of Bleeding, Crippling and even Burning.