Condition damage or duration?

in Engineer

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

With the changes to conditions and Engineer having rather big variation in duration of conditions, some extremely short others lasting for ages, this question started to bother me, especially since I’m making a new build.

Right, i know that i should make a mix of duration and condition damage so that they last longer and deal higher damage, but since condition started to deal more damage when specced for it, players started to put on more condi cleanse so its more difficult to stack conditions, and as a result you wont always be able to use long duration to its full potential. Also in a fight you will be forced to do a lot of defensive maneuvers, like dodging and blocking or use other skills that protect you which will prevent you from attacking and that will further reduce your ability to stack them.

EDIT: ups, forgot to point the pros of duration.
As i see it the duration also have advantage in above mentioned situations where you need to use active defense, since once you apply the condition, if it won’t get cleansed, it will last until you resume attacking. Hence you will be able to deal damage even if you get occupy with something else during the fight, of course the damage wont be high since you won’t have the time to stack it, but still it will be some dps.
Also there is the case of CC conditions that don’t deal damage like cripple, after all Engineer use almost all conditions available in game, and CC conditions are useful only if they last long.

There is also a fact that condition damage and duration are at some point mutually exclusive, after you reach certain point adding more duration will force you to lose some of condition damage(givers weapon, food, utility consumables etc.)

Thus it would seems that big but short DoT is more practical than weaker but longer DoT. Tho, I’m still not sure if this is right.

And so, with Engineer in mind, in your opinion which is better and more practical, condition duration or condition damage?

Be the way, i would really appreciate if your opinion would be based on experience rather than theory.

(edited by Cold Hearted Person.6154)

in Engineer

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

In my experience Solo-Roaming/Small Group or sPvP, stacking up on Condi DMG vs. Condi Duration is best, just for the reason that, no matter if you have 100% Condi Duration Bonus, they can just Clense/Remove it. So hitting them with as much Condi DMG upfront in my experience is best, and makes a lot of people freak out when Condi’s is hitting like a truck.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

For PVE Condition damage for all gear. Condi duration comes in with runes/food and you can actually get close/hit the cap (100%). So giver’s weapons aren’t worth it (only gear with duration).

in Engineer

Posted by: sunnypsyop.3025

sunnypsyop.3025

Damage over duration, for the aforementioned reason that cleanse will make your duration meaningless anyway. Better to get as much damage off up-front before the condi is removed.

GF Left Me Cos Of Ladderboards [WTF]
:: |SPvP | Rev | Engi | ::

in Engineer

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

For PVE Condition damage for all gear. Condi duration comes in with runes/food and you can actually get close/hit the cap (100%). So giver’s weapons aren’t worth it (only gear with duration).

Tho, runes for general condition duration can get only up to +15%, only on runes for specific condition the duration can reach up to 30%, but then just 1 of your condition will reach close to cap.
Also rune with duration on it are not always paired with condition damage stat, and that may potentially lower your damage, so there still is some mutual exclusiveness here.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

specific is 45% for burning, general is 15% with nightmare, though you can get 25% with 2X trapper.

Combine that though with 10% tuning, 33% trait, 40% food, well, you’re at 69-83 with that(69 without tuning/rich food, it’s expensive), 15% on top and you’re at 84-98%, go balth and you’re at over 100% on burning (which apparently the pistol condi trait overlooks cap).

Now, the main reason I prefer condi damage is that burst matters. Condi already lacks in that area compared to power and I’d like to get as much as I can.

You’ll want either Balth runes, Nightmare X5 + chrysblahblah jewel/Anti-toxin run, or NightmareX4 + trapperX2. Any of those sets are solid. Nightmare+ trapper is best overall duration, Balth maximizes burn, the last is overall duration with higher damage. With optimal consumables I think the 5XNightmare option is best, without optimal consumables then Nightmare/Trapper I think is best, and Balth is also an option though ignoring bleeding is not the best idea IMO.