Continue crafting the Predator or not?

in Engineer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Ok, trying to get The Predator, and can’t really decide if I want to continue, or just say screw it and get some other items i’ve been wanting (deathly bull’s mantle for my necro, p/s condition build for my engie for WvW, reach 500 for ascended crafting etc. etc.) Right now i’m sitting on about half the gold I need to buy the precursor for it, along with a lot of t6 mats and ectos, and of course the 77 mystic clovers. And I have gift of mastery as well, so I still need the gift of the predator, and of course the precursor, The Hunter. As far as money goes, I haven’t really tied up much of anything yet, most of my mat’s i’ve gotten from salvaging and turning t5 into t6, as well as what I got from doing the clover recipes.

So this brings me to my problem, I can’t decide if The Predator would be worth it for me. I currently use the Phoenix rifle and aesthetically, I love the look. The gatling-like barrel makes me think that this gun could actually fire like a blunderbuss, but still be able to function like a rifle when it needs too. I like the glow, and it matches my color scheme, as well as I believe, my look, it’s also got some sentimentality behind it, but i won’t get into that.

However, I know the Predator can be considered sort of a bragging rights weapon, something that people WILL notice you having because of the glow and sound effect…personally that doesn’t really matter to me that much, as I see a good bit of Predators in WvW and just general roaming, but not that many phoenix rifles. Also, it looks like an engineeer weapon, but doesn’t look like it would perform like one, again it’s a rifle, not a blunderbuss or something like the Phoenix Rifle.

I guess by reading my own typed out post I’m sorta convincing myself to just stop with The Predator and craft an ascended rifle, but now it’s become a problem of that I’ve come this far in crafting it, it’ll feel like I’m just giving up…oi I hate the way my head works, feels like I got 3 voices arguing in my head. -_- Any help in putting this beast to rest would be appreciated. Sorry for bothering ya all.

Attachments:

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in Engineer

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Keep the Phoenix Rifle. You already own it. It looks great, if not better than The Predator.

Also, legendaries lost their bragging rights status at least a year ago. They’re so commonplace that they’ve become played out. No one looks at me and says “nice Sunrise.” No, they see one more glowing surfboard in a sea of glowing surfboards. That’s part of why I decided to go more mundane in my character appearances some time ago – it stands out more and actually shows more character detail for a better, cleaner appearance.

Plus, the kit mechanic makes owning a Legendary on an Engineer much more pointless than on any other class.

Edit: I might suggest a change in your color scheme to match the Phoenix Rifle better. Swap the red coat with a more orange-ish one and change the liquid/glow color parts of your armor from yellow/orange to a red one that matches the Phoenix Rifle.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

If you already have the clovers and most of the other account bound stuff then you could keep making it but sell it afterwards. That or make a different legendary depending on which one has a cheaper precursor compared to its sell price (bifrost sells for 4000 from a 1300 pre last time i checked).

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

in Engineer

Posted by: Marmatt.8590

Marmatt.8590

I would say finish it since you have alot of what you need, plus some account bound stuff for it. Finish it, then sell it and then go and buy what you want, since you look better with the phoenix rifle imo.

Mystogen 80 Mes
Knights Of The Knightmare
S3 Legend

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Honestly, If I could I would hold the Phoenix. It’s almost a more unique skin than the Predator, and next to that you can make another legendary with the stuff you got.

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Engineer

TheLastNobody.8319

@ Duke: I’ll take your advice on the color swapping, thanks! You also make a good point with kits.

@ Sizer and Marmatt: Also a good alternative, do legendary weapons generally sell though with their high asking price? I’m willing to wait a bit but don’t wanna put it up on the tp and wait a month to get my money back haha.

@ The V: I do agree with that.

So so far it’s swinging in favor of keeping Phoenix and making another legendary to flip by about…3-0. I’m not counting myself because again…arguments. Also realized this should’ve probably gone in the crafting section, so 1000 apologies!

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

@ Duke: I’ll take your advice on the color swapping, thanks! You also make a good point with kits.

@ Sizer and Marmatt: Also a good alternative, do legendary weapons generally sell though with their high asking price? I’m willing to wait a bit but don’t wanna put it up on the tp and wait a month to get my money back haha.

@ The V: I do agree with that.

So so far it’s swinging in favor of keeping Phoenix and making another legendary to flip by about…3-0. I’m not counting myself because again…arguments. Also realized this should’ve probably gone in the crafting section, so 1000 apologies!

i know of 6 legendarys being bought threw the tp in my small group of friends if that helps.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Posted by: Frostaneous.6790

Frostaneous.6790

What helmet is that?

in Engineer

TheLastNobody.8319

What helmet is that?

It’s the gasmask helm from living world season one. Got it from the laurel vendor, they sell it for around…i think it’s 15 laurels and some gold?

in Engineer

Posted by: Frostaneous.6790

Frostaneous.6790

What helmet is that?

It’s the gasmask helm from living world season one. Got it from the laurel vendor, they sell it for around…i think it’s 15 laurels and some gold?

is it still in game…I missed season one?

in Engineer

TheLastNobody.8319

What helmet is that?

is it still in game…I missed season one?

Yep yep, like I said, got it from the laurel vendor in divinity’s reach. Though any laurel vendor should do. I like it, you can change the color of the visor, metal and the mesh? on it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

To me it sounds you’re burned out on going for a goal that seems rather far away, take a break without harming your current progress and achieve some small goals. You look amazing the way you currently look anyway. (On that note, I was actually considering getting the Predator with a Engineer that looks like a female version of yours and base the colourscheme on it, so you’d still look amazing with the Predator!)

Hence I’d recommend going for character progression (or any other goals) first; Ascended Armor, Weapons etc… Keep the things you’d need for your Legendary (or a Legendary) such as the T6/Gifts/Clovers/Ecto in case you do change your mind (t6 mainly goes up in price anyway,) which is more likely to happen when you get bored of your look than whilst you still love it.

As for brag rights, no-one really cares. Like mentioned above legendaries are so common, they hardly get noticed anymore, if they’re even visable (yay hobo-sacks.) Nor will people be like “oh look, he has a Legendary, he must be really good!” those reactions you get by playing like a beast, be it PvE, PvP or WvW.

(edited by Esmee.1067)

in Engineer

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

I got my Predator just because the stat swapping sounded useful. But I never switch out of berserker anyways so it really doesn’t matter.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I love the predator on my engi – but I’d say keep the rifle you have for unique design!

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

dude the phoenix rifle is gangster. Predator is one of the few legendary weapons I like though so its a toss up. I personally use the fractal rifle because I have SO little luck getting frac skins, every frac skin I get I use. If I Was you id honestly just blow 500g on Scarlets kiss because THAT is a real rifle, although phoenix is awesome as well. I got Bolt and was the happiest person on earth for awhile, but all these new exotic skins come out and I feel like I HAVE to use bolt… its annoying. Incinerator is the only other Legendary I Want for my ele, besides that dude, rock out how you are

in Engineer

TheLastNobody.8319

Yeah that’s another thing, I’m a little bit afraid about if I get predator. I pretty much HAVE to use it to justify it. -_- So if there are any other skins that come out I like getting it would be sort of a waste cause there only only two classes that can use rifles, warrior and engie.

in Engineer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

predator is absolutely awesome, I Was going to get it for my warrior but I dont use rifle on warrior. On engi, its been a toss up. Its def awesome, but like I said, I have Bolt and I feel like not using it is a crime. I use 1h sword on basically every class that can use it and I have bolt overload.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Welp, I only posses one legendary, my trusty predator.
Yes, it looks more tan a sniper-rifle than a Blunderbus, but then again, since I enjoy s/d builds I find it fitting for these.
Yes, its a legendary in a sea of legendaries, but imho the best looking one of them all.
Yes, kits make it invisible, but some skills are replaced by special animations in exchange (grenade-barrage, s/d projectiles).

And the biggest plus:
stat-swapping.
Celestial roaming-builds, PVT zerg-frontliner or PvE Zerker, I have a ascended-tier weapon with expensive infusions and sigils for all modes combined in one item.
For me it’s a matter of convenience, but whether or not that is enough for you, is something you have to decide on your own.
Also, even tho it may be the most unimportant thing ever: you also get one of the gold-medals in your character selection screen for equipping a random legendary. Dunno about your feelings towards it, but not having this empty space to irk me, surely bolstered my ego^^

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.