Coping Terrible Balances(Hammer WvW)

in Engineer

Posted by: judgement.9782

judgement.9782

So I have been trying to find a way to deal with the total kitten balances Anet keeps handing out. The previous few updates kept pushing us behind other classes in all aspects survival/damage/support.But I was able to change stats, traits skills as much as us engis can and still be a little useful. But this last one really ruined any chance of actually making sure I can land some hits and win fights. Its always been hard landing hits with hammer because any class just moving in combat can avoid a majority of your damage just by moving. Without them using any skills to negate or block it.
Before we had higher damage which made up for all the attacks missing then it got nerfed and we had survival to try and outlast their damage that also got nerfed hard. So lastly I was using the gyro’s cc by timing my self-destructs and attempt to cc the enemy at least guarantee some hits did land or interrupt their heals. Which this skill was never op or not in Anets “vision” (They added Impact Savant to traits for a reason not just to help this one CC we are left with). But this last update removed that having been left with only one CC to try and interrupt heals/skills and actually force a player to stand still for a very short time so at least some hits land. This isnt a issue for PvP because of the game play they are forced to either stand close to you or lose the match.

How are you other scrappers coping/adapting with this change?
I cant find anything to help. Even classes with low mobility can just walk in a fight and avoid my hits. Having only one cc I would need to either lose more damage by not using it till they heal and hope they have no stab or skills to negate it which most have a few. Then for classes such as mes, thief, druid or perhaps some other builds that have high mobility the fights are a joke. They just run around while I’m unable to land any hits.
I tried using the Blast Tag Gyro still its very slow to reach target and knocks them away so kinda helps them avoid hammer
I also tried the Slick Shoes really long CD for a short CC which requires they stand behind you.
I have tried running gear With more offence but that just leads to me having a lot less survival and still not landing attacks.
I have been running Elixir Gun for the only condi removal. Also for at least some ranged damage but its damage is very low with the ranged and skill 4 which does good damage requires they stand on it.

(edited by judgement.9782)

in Engineer

Posted by: lvis.3824

lvis.3824

Hi mate,

i know what you are talking about, i am facing the exact same here.
Also trying to find a build that works in 1v1 but i guess the only useable thing atm would be a condition build.

If anyone out there has a working 1v1 hammer build it would be nice to see it in action.

in Engineer

judgement.9782

Hi mate,

i know what you are talking about, i am facing the exact same here.
Also trying to find a build that works in 1v1 but i guess the only useable thing atm would be a condition build.

If anyone out there has a working 1v1 hammer build it would be nice to see it in action.

Before this I had ran a custom build I made depending on the enemies I could do up to like 1v8 and usually I be in 1v2/3 and I could win because of my overall build and skill. I was tankier so my damage was lower but now groups I cant kill anyone because the mediocre damage(I have tried other more Offensive Stats) and being unable to land hits even now the 1v1 are usually terrible cant land enough damage. Though hammer sucks now its still a more viable option I feel for survival and viability than condi. Condi for engi is pretty much all fire damage and even when doing 1v1 fights is a very hard fight anything including a 1v2 will nearly mean you lose most fights. Being very under-powered like all the other engi stuff compared to HoT’s introduced meta. Since this update I’ve pretty much stopped playing I pretty much only did WvW. I just cant do anything and I don’t want to play one of these cheese classes just so i can do well. I mean anet has just been kittenting on engi since gw2 release and then to pile on it the way combat is since HoT came out its just not fun there’s no skill or tactic required in fights. Now with engi being useless for almost everything but probably PvP i think they have been good for it since hot.

(edited by judgement.9782)

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

honestly in the current state the only reasons i havent deleted my engineer is simply the fact my engi is because crafting isnt account bound

engineer sucks big time now and has been unjustly restricted behind the slogan of jack of all trades master of none

when all other professions not only are more versatile but have no penalty and are superior

yes you can play engi successfully but you can feel the diference in effort vs reward inmediatedly once you grab another profession

(edited by Rezzet.3614)

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

maybe it’s because i’ve been playing engineer for so long that i’ve found workarounds to all of these problems, or maybe it’s my build/gear stat combinations. (sorry not sharing)
for me hammer was a dream come true on release, it gave me everything i had to work for when i was running a similar rifle build (same build/gear stats, yeah i like it that much.)
if you Really want a different perspective, hop onto a reaper and try to do similar things with it that you would on a scrapper engineer.
my one gripe is that engineer still has poor access to stability outside of slotting very sub-par skills.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Posted by: ampy.1387

ampy.1387

I’m not having any issues at the moment with Hammer but then again I play it midline or backline most of the time.

Here’s a basic build I’ve been roaming/group fighting with recently.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdUQFASnUUBtbhFpCWXB0ehlJji+vz7+Oc7SmwS8ZKgAA-TlCBQBnUJICVpAf6A43+DaUJWXUaAgLAgSUGcQ1VawDAAA-w

Music is the Weapon of the Future.

ïryss | Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: lvis.3824

lvis.3824

Hmm, either i got the OC worng or you are talking about different stuff here.

Ofc Hammer/Scrapper was great on release , but thats not the fact now. We received a lot of nerfs !

Also , in raidsetting , backline / midline scrapper is fine ( imho ) but this topic was about a working solo build in comparison to / vs other professions, not ?

in Engineer

judgement.9782

Yes I am talking about roaming with scrapper hammer and the inability to actually land damage on enemy’s and the loss of any tactics with having just one Stun. Other Threads mentioned our other available CC but I want to know viable options. Like batter ram or slick shoes are not. I have changed things around but increasing damage doesn’t help when them walking in a fight they can avoid 90% of it.

However, even in a zerg now they don’t seem too viable to me with that many less stuns to interrupt enemy rezzing downs. But for Zerg Scrapper inst to terrible but personally I still feel they arent worth it to run over say any other same line class because other classes will have more support damage and survival. Engi is a very selfish class in term buffs/debuffs(and even fewer viable skills). The only real benefit I see is the vuln maybe elixir s to finish off enemys and function gyro in a zerg but even then other classes can do that better. The current Engi meta front line is very weak in all aspects.
Toolkit does very low damage or support just a pull and block the block, Elixer s just self invuln with an invisibility which isn’t that amazing in a zerg setting. Then the gyro reflect is great but the gyro itself is junk in those settings it will insta die. The turret is more group oriented but even then you drop it theres good chance it could be instantly killed before you can get its secondary use off and explode. Especially now with this HoT meta of stupidly high damage and tons of cc. Then either running the sneak or mortar both bad options. Sneak seems like a waste now when it doesn’t cc and all it does it grant stealth to only 5 ppl if you were roaming it is good. Mortar is very low damage and condi it doesn’t bring much to the table except a water field which again isn’t something that will win a fight or any other class cant do better in.

in Engineer

judgement.9782

maybe it’s because i’ve been playing engineer for so long that i’ve found workarounds to all of these problems, or maybe it’s my build/gear stat combinations. (sorry not sharing)
for me hammer was a dream come true on release, it gave me everything i had to work for when i was running a similar rifle build (same build/gear stats, yeah i like it that much.)
if you Really want a different perspective, hop onto a reaper and try to do similar things with it that you would on a scrapper engineer.
my one gripe is that engineer still has poor access to stability outside of slotting very sub-par skills.

So without telling us your gear because I don’t care what your stats are I’ll use my own always do and Tweak them to make it work how I want. But how do you get around having only one CC for Tactics and how are you holding an enemy still long enough to guarantee hits? How are you keeping sustained damage on an enemy? I’m refering to good players that know not to stand still and take the hits. Also how would me playing reaper in scrapper play style mean anything? They are two separate classes of course reaper wouldn’t have quite the mobility or stealth but they still deal a lot more damage can pop shroud ten times in a fight. But even with that low mobility still with a reaper just moving in combat they can negate a majority of scrapper hits.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

So without telling us your gear because I don’t care what your stats are I’ll use my own always do and Tweak them to make it work how I want. But how do you get around having only one CC for Tactics and how are you holding an enemy still long enough to guarantee hits? How are you keeping sustained damage on an enemy? I’m refering to good players that know not to stand still and take the hits. Also how would me playing reaper in scrapper play style mean anything? They are two separate classes of course reaper wouldn’t have quite the mobility or stealth but they still deal a lot more damage can pop shroud ten times in a fight. But even with that low mobility still with a reaper just moving in combat they can negate a majority of scrapper hits.

tool kit pulls. hammer stuns. throw wrench. engineer lets you be creative. and playing a scrapper in a similar way to a reaper means something because one is supposed to have sustain via design philosophy, and one actually does, i’ll let you guess which one.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.