Current State of Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Rage Cube.4573

Rage Cube.4573

[EDIT] OMG UPDATE – DRONES LOOK PRETTY SICK. Depending on the uptime of certain traits I feel like we might be tanky enough to drop tool kit. We lose out on magnet but lets face it… That skill has the biggest tell anyway. Toolbelt on Cleanse Drone gives us access to Psn field. I see big potential here. NO KIT BUILD POSSIBLE??? EXCITE. [/EDIT]

Is fine.

Fix Interaction between kits and legendary weapon effects and I will be happy. Unless 5 drone build is viable. Then I will take that and be happy.

Srs… too many people on here saying Engi is bad and needs rework/buffs.

(edited by Rage Cube.4573)

in Engineer

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

It does need a few things. For example, if you take explosives but not mortar you get stuck with an utterly trash-tier grandmaster for no good reason. Also, just having a little bit more condi clear would be helpful. Other than that, though, we’re doing quite well.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mord.9237

Mord.9237

Is fine.

Fix Interaction between kits and legendary weapon effects and I will be happy. Unless 5 drone build is viable. Then I will take that and be happy.

What game mode do you play in? How hardcore? Does your guild support your decision to play Engineer? How did you convince them?

Anyone can come onto a forum and state their opinion of a class, but for said opinion to be valid in any way, we need facts to back it up. So how is your opinion of Engi being “fine” and not needing any reworks aside from aesthetics validated?

“Do or do not, there is no try.”
Engi Build Compilation

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Is fine.

What game mode do you play in? How hardcore? Does your guild support your decision to play Engineer? How did you convince them?

Anyone can come onto a forum and state their opinion of a class, but for said opinion to be valid in any way, we need facts to back it up. So how is your opinion of Engi being “fine” and not needing any reworks aside from aesthetics validated?

It sort of sucks you’re telling someone their opinion isn’t valid and has to be proved. Dude, it’s an opinion. Although it wasn’t my post you ripped apart, here’s what I think…

I don’t think fine means no changes needed whatsoever everything is perfect. That’s a strawman argument to try and suggest OP is saying that. It just doesn’t have to be that black and white. Engi overall is in a pretty good place I think. It performs very well in PvP and PvE. I don’t WvW too much, and I know there are concerns regarding its zerg capability but Engis still make great roamers.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Mord.9237

Mord.9237

Is fine.

It sort of sucks you’re telling someone their opinion isn’t valid and has to be proved. Dude, it’s an opinion. Although it wasn’t my post you ripped apart, here’s what I think…

I don’t think fine means no changes needed whatsoever everything is perfect. That’s a strawman argument to try and suggest OP is saying that. It just doesn’t have to be that black and white. Engi overall is in a pretty good place I think. It performs very well in PvP and PvE. I don’t WvW too much, and I know there are concerns regarding its zerg capability but Engis still make great roamers.

He stated it as fact, thus it became more than just an opinion “Is fine.” His final statement, that we’re all just complaining about Engi needing buffs/reworks further confirms that he doesn’t think it needs anything done to it, but he went into no detail about why he thinks this. While I agree we make great roamers due to our crazy ability to stack burns and survive 1vX(depending), it performs “okay” in PvP, though many of the top teams don’t bother with it, and WvW zerg combat is 90% of WvW, so being left out of 90% of some of the most entertaining combat in GW2 hurts. While we bring the MOST utility in the game compared to any other class, none of it is unique. You’re mediocre at best in comparison to the other classes and can almost guarantee you won’t be invited to any higher end GvG’s or WvW raids due to that proven fact. Outside of pick teams in a GvG(which is still sub par because magnet pull is very RNG), you’re stuck roaming or running around with pugmanders and uplevels.

“Do or do not, there is no try.”
Engi Build Compilation

in Engineer

Posted by: Rage Cube.4573

Rage Cube.4573

Is fine.

He stated it as fact, thus it became more than just an opinion “Is fine.” His final statement, that we’re all just complaining about Engi needing buffs/reworks further confirms that he doesn’t think it needs anything done to it, but he went into no detail about why he thinks this. While I agree we make great roamers due to our crazy ability to stack burns and survive 1vX(depending), it performs “okay” in PvP, though many of the top teams don’t bother with it, and WvW zerg combat is 90% of WvW, so being left out of 90% of some of the most entertaining combat in GW2 hurts. While we bring the MOST utility in the game compared to any other class, none of it is unique. You’re mediocre at best in comparison to the other classes and can almost guarantee you won’t be invited to any higher end GvG’s or WvW raids due to that proven fact. Outside of pick teams in a GvG(which is still sub par because magnet pull is very RNG), you’re stuck roaming or running around with pugmanders and uplevels.

Back during the first and second year of the game I played a lot. I have not played nearly as much recently as I lost interest and have recently got back into it.

Currently I have been a filthy Casual.

But when engineer was “At its worst”:

I was top 50 on leaderboards in sPvP, Doing 40+ Fractals with my guild, Doing WvW with my guild.

(This was when Blackgate was fighting hard in WvW I have no idea its current status.)

Yes, there will always be problems. But after seeing the changes engineer is in a really good place and we really don’t have a place to ask for any buffs when other classes are suffering more.

Convinced my guild to take me places and play with me by consistently out preforming others in guild with more specified rolls.

EDIT: Right now I seriously hate the most about our class: Losing legendary effects when using a kit.

I am kidding myself thinking that a 5 util no kit build will be possible after HoT drops.

And if I asked for a viable no kit build from anet just to because ‘I dun like kits’ chances would be 0.

So might as well ask for what I really want.

But in the end, it is a team game, and playing to synergize with your team is the best way to cover your weaknesses. Its hard for me to run condi cleanse in certain builds so I get a guard to follow me around. Again, I really don’t see the need to buff our class right now. Yes there are issues. But others need more attention imo.

(edited by Rage Cube.4573)

in Engineer

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

When it comes to pve, engineer is doing well. Engineer has very good direct and condition based DPS. DSP is what mostly matters in pve. Anyways, I think any profession can work well in pve, as most of the pve content is so easy.

When it comes to spvp, engineer is in a tricky place. The Jun 23 patch hit us hard, but hasn’t made us completely useless. Celestial rifle is replaced mostly by soldier and marauder rifle and I also see several pistol condi engineers. We still have good amount of single target CC and great application of different conditions and dps. Our weakness towards condition spam and lots of hard CC are obvious, but nevertheless some top team still include engineers. For most spvp gamers there are easier choices to farm wins in unranked. Summary: play engineer, but you can get better results easier using some stronger builds like D/D ele.

In WvWvW engineer has never been part of the meta. The grenade range nerf hit us very hard in that game mode and while mortar is good for all the fields it offers, it simply lacks DPS. Before the trait revamp patch you could every day encounter roaming engineers (mostly condi cancer type), but now most of them are gone as well and almost everybody and their mom is running PU mesmer. For big zerg fights playing Guardian, Warrior, Elementalist or Necromancer is far more profitable. Most gvg teams also include mesmers (for utility and sniping), thieves (stealth and sniping) or rangers (ranged spining), but engineers are really not welcome.

Engineers lack trait synergy and don’t offer any unique group support, which would make them great choices for WvWvW. For roaming purposes those professions who have the best access to stealth and mobility are far superior choices are even fair fights are getting very rare. It is possible to play WvWvW as engineer, but other professions offer either better engage/disengage or more loot bags.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

(edited by Deniara Devious.3948)

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Engineers lack trait synergy

what makes you say this? youre at least the 2nd person saying it here within the last day and it confuses me.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

In PVP – IT IS NOWHERE NEAR IT USED TO BE BEFORE JUNE PATCH

I made a post warning people about its messed up traits and be concerned about that right when everyone was so caught up on the nades bug.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Sad-End-for-The-Engineers/

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster

(edited by Vapour.7348)

in Engineer

Posted by: Rocknull.2986

Rocknull.2986

Im not trying to be troll here but I feel most useful in my zerg. What in the heck game are you people playing where engis suck in wvw? Mord I mean no offense man but I can kinda feel the verbal and mental beatings you must have gotten from your engi hating commanders/guildies coming through you in your post.I know you love your engi and you probably rock on him but ug you believe what your commanders/guildes were wrong about. Engis are very viable and are worth the spot they take. All this bs crap about meta and what fits is a load .

In pve :: i am pretty sure the fire/condi build is the highest dps potential in game.
In wvw :: (I suggest you zerg with power not condi) I feel awesome. I can aoe till my eyes bleed stealth rez/heal my homies and burst an area of about 240 to DEATH!!! every 30seconds lol its funny you gota try it
In spvp :: I honestly dont play it much. but im pretty sure i watching the latest tournaments on gw2 sight and engis were part of top teams. sooooooooo what you boohooin about?

Boohoo worthy ::. the way my elite mortar ability has the animation of a lvl 5 blunderbuss ::
Boohoo worthy :: why does my bomb kit look like an old school rice cooker. and lol norn using bombs ::

otherwise

Im with ya Ragecube state of the engineer is fine.

in Engineer

Deniara Devious.3948

Engineers lack trait synergy

what makes you say this? youre at least the 2nd person saying it here within the last day and it confuses me.

Well, here are few examples:
Incendiary powder used to be in the explosives tree and arguably it was one of the strongest master level traits in the game. Now it sits at GM trait in a firearms tree.
The replacement traits like Shaped Charge are very weak for their level, a mere 5 % conditional damage increase and no other utility (it should at least increase the duration of vulnerability or reduce CD). Aim-assisted rocket got a stealth nerf. At least in my combat log it consistently hits weaker than the rifle auto attack, while few weeks ago it harder. I don’t understand why Arenanet needed to stealth nerf this, because now more than half of the explosives traits suck or are situational like explosive descent.

Now engineers need to pick between sustain or dps, but not have both. Burning is a major part of damage in condition and hybrid (celestial) builds and the loss of IP takes a way a lot of sustain dsp, especially when bleeds are weaker in a celestial build. Thus most of those builds are dead from spvp point of view, at least in the very top teams, which have plenty of condition removal. Top teams use either soldier or marauder rifle engi or no engineer at all. In lower to middle levels of spvp condition builds are viable.

There has been countless of threads how engineer traits, especially the healing traits suck. You can just view my posting history to see few. And everybody agrees that medkit was butchered in the June patch.

Many useful engineer traits were deleted and there is no replacement trait like elixir infused bombs. Arenanet promised to make several things baseline, but that never happened.

At the same time many other professions got so many buffs it would be too long list to mention them. Mesmers got 6-7 traits made into baseline, some them extremely strong traits like Illusionary personae (previous GM trait). Traits like Confounding Suggestions, a mere adept trait with 5 s ICD, turning any daze into 1 second stun, are incredibly powerful and engineer really has nothing comparable. The power creep some other professions is astounding. Now there is no way an engineer can beat a competent mesmer in 1 vs 1, unless mesmer makes several mistakes or engineer goes total yolo build with SD or massive condi burst and manages to land it before the mesmer can land his burst. And mesmers are by far #1 profession in WvWvW roaming, at least here in EU tier 1. In fact it might take a while to see anything else than mesmers there.

Engineer is doing okay in current burst+bunker spvp meta, because it has always been a solid choice to contest and decap points, but in a large open world player-vs-player which is more about engage/disengage or ability to sustain enemy condition builds etc, it is one of the weakest professions. If the meta would shift more into condition builds, engineers would be in trash category (due relatively weak condi removal) or be just the “hit my burns or die”. In the gvg world I do not know any team which is hiring engineers (making it the ONLY profession not part of top teams). Power mortar engi is viable in zerg vs zerg, but nowhere as optimal as e.g. staff elementalist or well necro.

(edited by Deniara Devious.3948)

in Engineer

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

engi is good on the paper, he just lacks some sinergies / options in firearms/explosive specs and need some bug fixes…

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

What happened to throwing turrets? Why did they remove that?

in Engineer

Deniara Devious.3948

A lot of players complained about turret engineer being cheap on spvp, which was true. Arenanet made turrets to be subject to critical hits, vulnerability and conditions, meaning they melt down faster than you can spell C-H-E-E-S-E. Turrets, besides the healing turret, are now useless for any game mode. Better equip a kit instead.

Interesting. When players complain loudly for a long time about warrior, they do tiny changes and shave it there and there (e.g. 8% healing signet nerf), but when engineer has something too much, like the 100 nades, they delete it from the games entire (50% nerf).

in Engineer

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

A lot of players complained about turret engineer being cheap on spvp, which was true. Arenanet made turrets to be subject to critical hits, vulnerability and conditions, meaning they melt down faster than you can spell C-H-E-E-S-E. Turrets, besides the healing turret, are now useless for any game mode. Better equip a kit instead.

Interesting. When players complain loudly for a long time about warrior, they do tiny changes and shave it there and there (e.g. 8% healing signet nerf), but when engineer has something too much, like the 100 nades, they delete it from the games entire (50% nerf).

True. However, to be fair, turrets were easier to use than even warriors, and were really good at beating up inexperienced players yet still weak against skilled players. My only concern is that we appear to be getting Turrets 2.0 with the scrapper, and I don’t think that they will be terribly useful unless they’re flat out overpowered. And if that is the case, they’ll be nerfed to uselessness pretty quickly. But, on the bright side, the hammer and traits all look amazing, so I’m optimistic overall.