Dear anet, small buff request :)

in Engineer

Posted by: Bogus.1598

Bogus.1598

Dear Anet (and readers), ive been leveling a engineer, and a few days ago, i reached level 80 with my engineer. To be honest, it took me a year. And not because i played so less, but mostly because the class felt “weak” in terms in damage. Im not talking about the treat system, that is a whole other subject. But im talking about damage done by our pistol and rifle skills. These are lacking, and in a big way. Leveling wise and maybe a little bit at end game they can use a buff. I think the damage from pistol should go up with 50% and rifle with 25%. Why those percentages? Mainly because i think the philosofy that u can build your character the way YOU want too isnt working for the engineer now. If leveling and focussing on power and precision and using pistol skills u need more then 2 rotations to get the oponent down. The damage isnt up to par with other classes i think and noticed with experience leveling other classes. Please look into this and buff the class so other people dont get discouraged with the engineer while leveling.

I hope more people support this treat. Thanks for reading and happy engineering! Its a very very nice class.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

yes, our weapon autoattacks are lacking, but its made up for with grenade and bomb autos

plus, first of all pistol is primarily a condi weapon and scales really well. and second, when you trait coated bullets, pistol autos scale quadratically with the number of mobs and thats what keeps anet from buffing the direct damage for that.

i think the reason it took you a year to get to 80 is because you did terribad damage because the way you wanna play has no synergy and maybe you didnt ask around to see if you could do better. engi can have an excellent levelling experience.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Engineers are best built with kits in mind, unfortunately. If you’re not utilizing kits in your build—in both PvE and PvP—you’re simply not getting the full potential of the class into your build.

Both the pistol and rifle are used, but they’re not standalone and often are worked into larger rotations.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

I want to play a power scepter necromancer. Sadly, the " play how i want" philosophy is gone. I suggest an added 2k base damage for scepter auto attack, to make it on par with other classes.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bogus.1598

Bogus.1598

Well i understand i need to use kits, ofcourse i did that. But to be honest, i dont think a class needs to be forced into using kits. Its something u want to do, not forced to do to have a FLUENT experience. My experience wasnt fluid, it was harsh and there was a big wall i had to climb before i had the enthusiasm to play again. Thats the reason i ask for a buff to our base weapons. Not because i dont like the kits, but because u should be able to level up the way u want to, if u want to use pistols and rifle thats fine, but give them a little buff so i goes a little more Fluent. That would made my own experience a better one, and ofcourse the experience of future engineers. We are a awsome class, let others enjoy it as well by giving them a better experience.

Thanks all, for reading, replieing and mature response.

#insanemaniac, ive tried multiple builds, searched for leveling guides but in the end i always felt main weapons were lacking, and with that my own enthusiasm for the class. I want a better experience for future players, and i think a main weapon buff fits that.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Engineers are best built with kits in mind, unfortunately. If you’re not utilizing kits in your build—in both PvE and PvP—you’re simply not getting the full potential of the class into your build.

Both the pistol and rifle are used, but they’re not standalone and often are worked into larger rotations.

I’d just like to point out that last sentence goes for kits too in many cases. Sure you might have a kit you use for the skill1 when everything is on cooldown or you’re waiting to burst, but often you’re going to a kit just to get a certain skill or two then moving on to the next.

in Engineer

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Wow people are obsess with that play how I want. I want to play an undead unicorn vomiting lava and giving poison with farts, do I whine about not being able to do that on the forum? No I keep that in private with my guildmate geez.

The whole concept of the Engineer is the kits. Why do you play engineer if you don’t want to use your kit. And if you use your nade+flamethrower with a rifle, then you have the 3rd best dps of the game. TADAM. Your welcome.

Pistol/Shield in pvp. AWESOME build. Your welcome.

Want to use pistol in PvE? Solo condi build. TADAM. Your welcome.

If you don’t want to do any of those, play as you want and don’t complain that its not the best setup possible.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I’d just like to point out that last sentence goes for kits too in many cases. Sure you might have a kit you use for the skill1 when everything is on cooldown or you’re waiting to burst, but often you’re going to a kit just to get a certain skill or two then moving on to the next.

Pretty much. Realistically the only kit that’s safe to sit in is the grenade kit for its vulnerability stacking. The flamethrower, bomb kit, elixir gun, and tool kit all are effective across the board, but provide the most benefit situationally and—similar to the pistol and rifle—as a part of a larger rotation.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Wow people are obsess with that play how I want. I want to play an undead unicorn vomiting lava and giving poison with farts, do I whine about not being able to do that on the forum?

The difference is, they are displaying a level of reason ability by referring to existing professions in the game that actually exist in a game that literally has advertisements that claim things such as “play it your way” or “play how you want”.

No I keep that in private with my guildmate geez.

Yeah well you also claimed:

Nades are not a range weapon

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

Pretty much. Realistically the only kit that’s safe to sit in is the grenade kit for its vulnerability stacking. The flamethrower, bomb kit, elixir gun, and tool kit all are effective across the board, but provide the most benefit situationally and—similar to the pistol and rifle—as a part of a larger rotation.

I’d say Grenade/Bomb/FT kits are all decent 1 skill kits for different situations.

But even then you’re missing out on a lot if you don’t rotate kits.

My general rotation has me going FT-4-2-EG-4-Rifle-5-3-Grenade-2-4-FT-2-Grenade-1. Quite a bit before I even get to the grenade1 use, I use it like half a dozen times per rotation, far more often I’m using some other skill.

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

Wow people are obsess with that play how I want. I want to play an undead unicorn vomiting lava and giving poison with farts, do I whine about not being able to do that on the forum?

The difference is, they are displaying a level of reason ability by referring to existing professions in the game that actually exist in a game that literally has advertisements that claim things such as “play it your way” or “play how you want”.

No I keep that in private with my guildmate geez.

Yeah well you also claimed:

Nades are not a range weapon

The beauty of editing is you can completely mislead people by omiting information in an attempt to twist the meaning.

Nades are not a range weapon if you use them in melee and if you use them in range, they won’t have as much dmg as bomb. You lose on boons and it’s harder to land all your nades.

While yes nades are a range weapon, the point is they are good damage in melee, at range not nearly as much so. The risk/reward of Melee>Range concept is built within the kit itself. I feel that’s the point he was trying to make.

And “Play how you want” I always thought referred to the fact that you have options on how to play, not that everything will be equal and accepted by everyone. You can play pvp/wvw/pve and get rewards to work towards goals (very few things need you to do any specific thing). You can use dozens of builds, but it doesn’t mean each will fit the situation just as well as the other. People just seem to misinterpret “Play how you want” as far as I"m concerned. And to me wanting to play as a farting unicorn is just as valid(or more so invalid) as wanting a full nomad set to be just as efficient in a dungeon as a full zerk set.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

The beauty of editing is you can completely mislead people by omiting information in an attempt to twist the meaning.

What meaning is twisted? He was literally arguing that they were not a ranged weapon simply because you can shot gun them.

And “Play how you want” I always thought referred to the fact that you have options on how to play, not that everything will be equal and accepted by everyone.

I don’t disagree. I was simply verifying that the statements exist in print. Obviously it is intended to be open to interpenetration, that is what marketing folks do.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Other classes need to get their autoattacks nerfed to the level of Engineers, not the other way around.
AA’s are to be filler, the real strength needs to be to hit the abilities with cooldowns. Not spam a cooldownless ability.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Other classes need to get their autoattacks nerfed to the level of Engineers, not the other way around.

Why do you say that? Engineers have among the best auto-attacks in the game in radius, range, and damage between the bomb kit and grenade kit.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

What meaning is twisted? He was literally arguing that they were not a ranged weapon simply because you can shot gun them.

And “Play how you want” I always thought referred to the fact that you have options on how to play, not that everything will be equal and accepted by everyone.

I don’t disagree. I was simply verifying that the statements exist in print. Obviously it is intended to be open to interpenetration, that is what marketing folks do.

Thanks for backing me up on that Jerus even if we don’t agree on some stuff. I’m not arguing litteraly that nade is a range weapon. I’m arguing figuratively that nade are not like every other range weapon. The risk vs reward don’t apply to them like it does with a bow for exemple. But we already discuss that. Why bring that back while quoting 6 words out of 2 lines just to discredit me on a totally new subject?

The worst is that you don’t even disagree with the point. Ya it exist and ya its left to interpretation (interpenetration lol, they should have change that to kitten don’t you think ~( ‘o’)~ ). But I still find it immature to read play how you want and expect that it mean that anything you could try would be optimal. You can play how you want and finish any content, not just in an optimal way because THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE to make in a game. I don’t expect ppl to expect the impossible.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Why do you say that? Engineers have among the best auto-attacks in the game in radius, range, and damage between the bomb kit and grenade kit.

Bomb kit is a harder to land version of a melee attack. Grenades are boosted by various traits, some of the hardest skills to land and still not that great. Also, technically not an AA.

Before you bring up pvp, pvp operates in a vacuum isolated from the rest of the game where rules are applied very differently by the sheer gimmicky nature of the game mode. Where a build that has zero killing power but can just shove people around a bit is considered brokenly overpowered, in every other gamemode it would be considered dead weight or a free kill.

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

Where a build that has zero killing power but can just shove people around a bit is considered brokenly overpowered, in every other gamemode it would be considered dead weight or a free kill.

hmm

no wvw zerg runs without 10 hammer warriors in full soldier gear !

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

Where a build that has zero killing power but can just shove people around a bit is considered brokenly overpowered, in every other gamemode it would be considered dead weight or a free kill.

hmm

no wvw zerg runs without 10 hammer warriors in full soldier gear !

Yeah but who need crits when you have 10 hammers hitting the same kittenty player who let himself get caught by the frontline?

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

why assume that its only baddies running into the frontline :/

in Engineer

Posted by: Dodosaur.6324

Dodosaur.6324

Leveling an engineer in PvE kind of requires the use of kits unless you want to do it super slowly. You don’t have enough AoE or anything without kits. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an engineer build that doesn’t use kits. Even recent turret builds run a kit.

There’s a reason we have our F1-F4 skills. They pretty much become our utility skills, because our utility slots are taken up by kits. If you want to be able to autoattack your way through something, you probably leveled the wrong class. I think out of every class engineer has the least use for autoattacks; even something as diverse as D/D elementalist relies heavily on Lightning Whip. For engineers, we can change kits at will and have many low CD powerful abilities. I rarely find myself autoattacking except in PvP (where power rifle autoattacks are definitely good enough and don’t need a buff, and elixir gun bleeds are definitely good enough and don’t need a buff).

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

I wish they would change bunker down the trait in a firearms trait line that is a stationary proc seems a bit odd id like to see damage reduced by maby 30% and turned into a small arty round or something that launches to your target on crit that way its not completely useless in ranged fights

in Engineer

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

Bomb kit is a harder to land version of a melee attack. Grenades are boosted by various traits, some of the hardest skills to land and still not that great. Also, technically not an AA.

Before you bring up pvp, pvp operates in a vacuum isolated from the rest of the game where rules are applied very differently by the sheer gimmicky nature of the game mode. Where a build that has zero killing power but can just shove people around a bit is considered brokenly overpowered, in every other gamemode it would be considered dead weight or a free kill.

Unless they split the game modes then the classes will be nerfed or buffed based on the game mode with 50,000 prize pool tournaments. This is besides the point but isn’t a huge percentage of the engineer population pvp players compared to the other gamemodes.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs