Decap Engi is back!

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Posted by: Goosekilla.2796

Goosekilla.2796

Control your foe like the rag doll they are!
The build is here:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUncoC9ZhtoCGpC0ehF2iiO4P+lPMFvoXDcE3gAA-TJBJABAcBA66BAIdZgO2fAA

Now cackle maniacally while chain cc-ing them and dishing out massive, delicious, aoe damage.
One optional swap is using purge gyro over bulwark when you are worried about condo pressure. Although I didn’t find it necessary, because with all the cc (don’t forget the soft stuff either, like smoke bomb) nothing sticks hard enough to be an issue. Hoelbrak runes and generosity sigil do a good job.

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

I played many DECAP engi build.

I don’t see how your build can survive 1 condi burst.

Egun is mandatory versus conditions users couple with the Elixir line for the master trait.

How do you handle condies? (sigil of gen is not enough)

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

You won’t survive against Warriors. You won’t survive against other engies. Necros will kick your kitten and Guardians will actually be more likely to decap you. UNLESS what you do is run off point and come back after they’ve used their cooldowns?

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

As I mentioned, I recognize condis to be a weakness here. However, also as mentioned, it’s cc lockdown and damage burst was always enough for me so that it isn’t an issue. I fought a team of three Necros, a guard, and Mesmer, and still wrecked them every time, both 1v1 and team fights. Warrior is actually the biggest joke of them all, because they need to stay on top of you for dps, which they simply can’t do through bombs. Basically use rifle to do good damage at range, then if they reflect or try to melee you, use bombs and charge or kite, respectively (depending on if they are reflecting or melee-ing). Watch for any time they don’t have stability and use blast gyro, overcharge shot with the blast gyro stability so that they are first hit with overcharge, then blast gyro goes over and knocks them back again. This does massive damage as well, on low cd. Get a blunderbuss in there too for more big dps, and often I can also net shot so that when they stunbreak (giggle as they try), they are still stuck and I jump shot on their face.
Yes, if guard drops all their traps on point you need to give them a couple seconds space… but only a couple seconds, then you knock them off point and blast their face in! Also BoB pretty much off cool down to force them off the point again (all flights, not just guards).
Hoelbrak rune, generosity, and inventions (healing + tiny condi clear) does, empirically, provide enough cleanse. Just have to play aggressively and not give enemies a chance to set up their own bursts.

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Well can’t argue with you if you feel you’re getting results.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

Yes, of course. I guess, just like all build posts ever in this forum, my intent was to spread an idea. I am sharing a formula that has proven massively successful in my experience, with the intent that others may take it, change it to best suit their own preferences and playstyle, and enjoy success with the engineer profession in this game.
Maybe someone else wants to use elixir C or purge gyro. Heck even swapping elixirs traits in for firearms and using something like elixir B in the last slot might float your boat. Do it! This is just a starting point that I know works for me, and diverges nicely from the boring hammer same old that’s dominated for the past year.

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Posted by: Boldac.4306

Boldac.4306

While I’m more of a pistol guy, this build was fun last night.

To the fella that wished it good luck vs. warriors….I did very well in a match last night vs. a 3 warrior team. So thanks for the well wishes.

I think the “Any given Sunday” rule applies here. It doesn’t matter the build, the player or the day. Sometimes, people get lucky. Sometimes, you get outplayed.

Regardless. GW2 is a game, and games are about having fun. If you aren’t having fun, then why do it? For me, this build was a ton of fun. Running around like a madman (or just a normal asura maybe?) dropping little presents of death and disruption everywhere I went.

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

Glad you liked it! And also that you were able to confirm my experience that, particularly warriors (one of the biggest condi forces out there these days), seem to be easily countered despite the build lacking strong condition removal.

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Jourdelune.7456

I have encounter some rifle build lately. Meta Scrapper is a big counter to the Rifle build because either the CC is reflected or block or stability is running.

It was a fun experiences tho.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

why taking firearms instead of explosive for a power build ? you have rifle reduction but on the other hand you would have better bomb as you use them . ( you have already 3 knock back, rifle ,blast gyro and BoB so the rilfe reduction does not seem to me so important , i’d prefer short fuse ) and you can also have double blast on mortar toolbet skill . Your build has 2 great weakness imho : first you don’t have good condition clean as others stated , second you don’t have any block or life saver. You have not stealth , you have no elixir S, nothing . Your build can work in melee or short distance, but you have to arrive at it . Mortar is a good (or great in some case) support weapon but it is not that good for range fight. You can put down mortar 2 and then 1 1 1 1 but if your opponent is not stupid, it is not that difficult to move away from mortar shield … and if he had a long bow it is in a better spot than you in a long range fight. And.. .with all the stability of this game … i don’t know how your cc will be usefull ..

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

IN my opinion for spvp engi have only 2 viable build : meta scrapper ( with some variation ) , and pistol pistol condi with ft, elixir S ,toolkit ( firearms, alchemy , tools ) . The other builds don’t work like these 2 … it is sad but it it true (and hammer scrapper is superior to pistol pistol for the better sustain ).

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

Pierro. I’ll try explosives. I’d been thinking about it, since the rifle CD has been the nation reason to take it, but I almost think it would be better to have the oc shot cd line up with blast gyro. I’ve switched to heal turret for extra condi remove, and getting the kb for that from explosives could be handy. Also the mortar upgrade add you mentioned.
I’ve also moved to paladins amulet, which I’ve found makes a huge difference. That extra bit of toughness makes all the healing this build can do go a lot further, this being a bigger point presence (the main objective of the build).

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

Pierro. I’ll try explosives. I’d been thinking about it, since the rifle CD has been the main reason to take it, but I almost think it would be better to have the oc shot cd line up with blast gyro. I’ve switched to heal turret for extra condi remove, and getting the kb for that from explosives could be handy. Also the mortar upgrade as you mentioned.
I’ve also moved to paladins amulet, which I’ve found makes a huge difference. That extra bit of toughness makes all the healing this build can do go a lot further, giving a bigger point presence (the main objective of the build).

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Posted by: YourFriendMarvin.4127

YourFriendMarvin.4127

It’s a fun build for sure, but any engi/scrapper build without Alchemy+Inventions will die to competent players. Lacks consistent Condition Removal, but yeah I only see this working against people who don’t how to fight it or take free cleave.

#MostTeamQueueWins before December 2nd, 2014 Patch
[NA]Rank 71 before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch OG Moltres, 10k Champion Brawler, Team PZ
http://www.twitch.tv/yourfriendmarvin

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

It’s a fun build for sure, but any engi/scrapper build without Alchemy+Inventions will die to competent players. Lacks consistent Condition Removal, but yeah I only see this working against people who don’t how to fight it or take free cleave.

Have to disagree with you there. I’d probably buy that all builds need EITHER inventions or alchemy, but to say they need both is absolutely purely a failure of the imagination and/or player skill. Yes, the meta hammer scrapper is really strong and takes very little skill to play competently. But it isn’t the only “viable” build. The subject build is absolutely weak to conditions, I concede that (and have actually since changed to heal turret, leadership runes, and paladin amulet in part to address that). But to say that one specific weakness (conditions) in exchange for some specific strengths (aoe damage and CC) makes a build “not work” seems misguided to me. I would interpret that simply as being balanced, requiring some negative trade in order to gain something else that’s strong.
PS: didn’t mean for this to come off as brusque as it does. I just mean to state a difference of opinion

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Posted by: YourFriendMarvin.4127

YourFriendMarvin.4127

Have to disagree with you there. I’d probably buy that all builds need EITHER inventions or alchemy, but to say they need both is absolutely purely a failure of the imagination and/or player skill. Yes, the meta hammer scrapper is really strong and takes very little skill to play competently. But it isn’t the only “viable” build. The subject build is absolutely weak to conditions, I concede that (and have actually since changed to heal turret, leadership runes, and paladin amulet in part to address that). But to say that one specific weakness (conditions) in exchange for some specific strengths (aoe damage and CC) makes a build “not work” seems misguided to me. I would interpret that simply as being balanced, requiring some negative trade in order to gain something else that’s strong.
PS: didn’t mean for this to come off as brusque as it does. I just mean to state a difference of opinion

This meta isn’t a bunker meta anymore, you don’t need to decap. You need to out sustain and which is why I said you need inventions and alchemy. The Passive S and Heal Reset are what keep an Engi alive. I’m saying this from a competitive setting, and i’m not saying it doesn’t work. The problem with Engi is all it’s defensive traits are linked into Alchemy/Inventions which is why it’s a staple. You don’t see scrapper running firearms or anything else, because by doing so you lose sustain by giving up Alchemy or Inventions. I’ve played with other trait lines, and I know the pros and cons of them. I’m not saying because you don’t have condition removal it isn’t’ viable, but rather just it isn’t optimal all-round. The meta is condition heavy so you need that removal. So i’m saying at a moderate/high tier of play Alchemy and Inventions is needed to even stay alive, and at lower tiers you can get away with not running both since you’re not running into meta builds. I respect your opinion, but this is my opinion coming from experience and playing at a higher tier. I have two builds pre Hot that still work consistently which involves HgH Alchemy/Inventions and Firearms. Hgh Rifle and HgH P/P. Your build is fun for sure, i’m not trying to degrade it. I respect your opinion, but this is my opinion coming from experience and playing at a higher tier.

#MostTeamQueueWins before December 2nd, 2014 Patch
[NA]Rank 71 before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch OG Moltres, 10k Champion Brawler, Team PZ
http://www.twitch.tv/yourfriendmarvin

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Jourdelune.7456

You need to understand scrapper role better to know that in a condi burst meta (mesmer, warrior, reaper are the easiest to play now) you want all chances to win your 1v1 and 2v2 versus them.

If you can’t, chances are you are losing the matches. In unranked with avg MMR you will be good simply trying to CC before getting condi burst, but at high level you will get condi burst, before you do the CC.

Offer some gold to Marvin, he could show you by himself (he is in the top 20 players NA). Make sure to make a video in case you win your point.

Decap Engi is back!

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

No, with the clarification made, I’d agree with him. Running HGH p/p or hammer meta makes more sense in that setting. I’ve heard plenty of times assertions that are similar, but not always scoped just to high level (truly competitive) play; I mistakenly understood this to be a similar case. I’ll keep to my Ruby/Diamond tier, where this kind of build is fine – it’s just more fun to me, and that’s the only reason I play this game.

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]