Deciding between Warrior or Engineer:

in Engineer

Posted by: The Baws.5164

The Baws.5164

Hey everyone,

At the moment I’m kind of having trouble finding reasoning to play my Engineer over my Warrior. They seem equal in 1v1, similarly good in sPvP but Warrior seems to be far preferred for Zerging, GvG, raiding and PvE.

Could you guys help me decide between the two classes a bit? I know them both like the back of my hand but am finding trouble in deciding which to get a legendary for etc. and main.

Thanks,
Baws.

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

They are equal there aswel (actualy engineer is better than war) but you will hit that wall of dumb ppl over and over again what still live in 2 years old meta.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Engineer has more potential through the sheer number of combinations you can make between its skills. One skill rolls into another which rolls into 3 others.

Warrior also does this but there attack patterns tend to be a bit more linear. Making them more predictable in the field. However in large combat warriors can handle being swarmed a bit better. On my engi if I get singeled out in a zerg by 3-4 enemies ill usually go down. On my warrior I can generally get away with fighting htem until there attention shifts back to another target.

My engi however can get away from them by quite a number of different combos. It all depends on whats being thrown at me att.

Thats just my experience though.

Ghost Yak

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I can only talk about the pve section and there the warrior has become a medicore damage dealer with main focus on buffing allies with banners and shouts. The engineer deals more damage and has different buffs but is by far harder to play. I’d suggest engi since you’ll find tons of warriors out there who can play buffslave.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

The Baws.5164

I really like the fact that Engineer is more unique etc. it’s just I am yet to see how it can excel more than Warrior does.

The main things I do at the moment: sPvP and WvW Focus Party Guild Raiding and Warrior really seems to be equal/better than Engi in both of these scenarios. For the focus party I need burst and escape.

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I really like the fact that Engineer is more unique etc. it’s just I am yet to see how it can excel more than Warrior does.

The main things I do at the moment: sPvP and WvW Focus Party Guild Raiding and Warrior really seems to be equal/better than Engi in both of these scenarios. For the focus party I need burst and escape.

Well, go with what feels better to you.

You have to know that your posting in the engineer sub forums, so obviously there is a bit of bias in favor of the engineer. I have both, and I find the warrior a little less diverse, but mostly, I simply find the engineer more fun to play. that is all personal preference. if your not feeling it with the engineer, play the warrior, no one will fault you for it.

What kinds of builds are you running on your engie?

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

Would you rather make a warrior, get bored, and make an engi? Or just start with an engi?

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Vech.7396

Vech.7396

I love my Engineer, and I do enjoy my Warrior, but its like Comparing a Passion fruit to a Apple, both are sweet, but only one is exotic

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Warrior is better in GvG, Zergs.
Engineer is better in spvp.
In pve 1 war is better than 1 engi but since there is never a shortage of warriors..and neither class benefiting from multiples it’s a hard call.

in Engineer

Posted by: ofLegends.9853

ofLegends.9853

Ugh, warrior was my first character. Engineer, second.

Warrior is more wanted in most things, sure. But can you change around what you want to do? Engineers can stealth, heal, direct damage, aoe, etc. I was so bored on my warrior that I just cannot bring myself to play it in any meaningful content.

Plus, when I was newer and had even less experience, I felt like people always looked at me as “the warrior” to be doing tons of damage. I’d be doing my best, and if we died (even if not my fault) it would be “do you even have zerker gear???” Nobody ever has acted like a tool to me on my engi. I think a lot of people just aren’t aware of what you’re supposed to be doing/what you can do on engi, so they leave you alone.

Similarly, I’ve not experienced this “warrior is more preferred in pve” thing. In dungeons, nobody gives a crap. And if they do, I’m pretty sure almost everyone in your party has a warrior alt they can bring themselves if it bothers them so much.
For fractals, a few people have told me “lol engineer isn’t meta”, but there have been times I’ve looked at the lvl 50 fractal LFG and they are specifically asking for engineer. I’ve also not had anyone mention my class when I do a fractal.

So, if you want to challenge yourself, I would play engineer. Almost everyone has a warrior and they are fairly simple, but a well-played engi can be very impressive. You also have to factor in how much fun they are for you.

— Former engi main | Bring back my Power Rifle Grenadier!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OWwwqPxDI

(edited by ofLegends.9853)

in Engineer

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

warriors are and can be :

-best armor and health
-melee (most of the time)
-high dps
-if condy,they go for bleeds mostly, can do a little bit of fire as well
-extremely tanky
-can use shouts to buff ,remove conditions and heal for quite a bit (around 4500hp per 30 seconds more or less)
-Can give party wide stat increases with various banners,also swiftness
-Can trait so banners give a wide spread constant never ending regeneration
-can pick up baners and take them with you
-Can share might stacks with a trait combo (you give might to allies,whenever you get one)
-sought after in dungeons
-most likely to be playing a commander in wvw

(note i didnt play engies much but…) Engeneers are and can be:

-mostly ranged characters
-heavy condition damage while applying all sorts of condi types
-can apply and share all sorts of boons
-incredible amount of utility
-medium health and medium armor
-personally more fun to play with than a warrior
-isnt a typical"medieval"class,but a stempunk gun,turret, gadget,alchemical potion guy
-has good positions in pvp
-can use turrets to deal damage,crowd control,and support

in Engineer

The Baws.5164

Yeah I’ve decided on Engi. Was playing around on mine today and realised how fun they are

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

in Engineer

Posted by: risenlord.2035

risenlord.2035

Warrior is better in GvG, Zergs.
Engineer is better in spvp.
In pve 1 war is better than 1 engi but since there is never a shortage of warriors..and neither class benefiting from multiples it’s a hard call.

agreed. Engineer is real good but warrior has a lower skill cap

in Engineer

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

Ultimately, they are similar in effectiveness (I personally believe engi is better), but it really matters what you like to play. Engineer will require more focus while warrior is very easy to learn and master.

in Engineer

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

(note i didnt play engies much but…) Engeneers are and can be:

-mostly ranged characters
-heavy condition damage while applying all sorts of condi types
-can apply and share all sorts of boons
-incredible amount of utility
-medium health and medium armor
-personally more fun to play with than a warrior
-isnt a typical"medieval"class,but a stempunk gun,turret, gadget,alchemical potion guy
-has good positions in pvp
-can use turrets to deal damage,crowd control,and support

Mostly range? NEIN!
They are actually the most effective at close range, less than 300.

Can use turrets? Sure. SHOULD use turrets? Not if you want to be competitive. Its fun, but not really any good.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU