Deployable turrets?

Deployable turrets?

in Engineer

Posted by: Tathorpe.8572

Tathorpe.8572

Q:

Returning to the game after quite a long time, and I’m trying to rebuild my spec in this new Skill system.

I can’t find the skill that made turrets ground target. Is this no longer possible?

Deployable turrets?

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

Unfortunately not. Deployable Turrets was one of a few build-defining traits that disappointingly got the axe. We can only hope that it gets reinstated somehow, at some point.

The class is always greener on the other side.

Deployable turrets?

in Engineer

Posted by: sunnypsyop.3025

sunnypsyop.3025

Turrets are bad now. No one runs them any more, and good riddance.

Try a real build.

GF Left Me Cos Of Ladderboards [WTF]
:: |SPvP | Rev | Engi | ::

Deployable turrets?

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

Woah, now, good sir. Turrets may have had their share of problems in the past, but rejoicing in their perceived obsolescence (whether it’s truly the case or not) is hardly productive or laudable. It’s a testament to good game design when every available ability sees near-equal usage.

The class is always greener on the other side.

Deployable turrets?

in Engineer

Posted by: sunnypsyop.3025

sunnypsyop.3025

Turrets were a zero skill meta that took an amazingly versatile, fun, interesting and challenging class and basically gave them an “AFK” mode. I used to joke that my dog played SPvP Turretgineer and was quickly climbing the ladderboards, because he could play it without thumbs or a brain. They were a scourge and I couldn’t be happier that they’re gone, they were a blight on the entire profession’s reputation.

Anyway yeah… ding dong, deployable turrets are gone~ take this opportunity to branch out into more interesting builds that you can actually employ an active playstyle with.

GF Left Me Cos Of Ladderboards [WTF]
:: |SPvP | Rev | Engi | ::

Deployable turrets?

in Engineer

Posted by: Prism.5649

Prism.5649

umadbro?

In all seriousness though, you have a good point regarding turrets. They did promote very little skill. However, the solution is not to make them useless, but to make them challenging to use. ANet should make the Tool Kit (or some other kit) extremely turret focused and make turret maintenance an important part of the build’s gameplay.

For example take the idea of healing turrets by hitting them with your wrench and expand on it. Have base damage of turrets set low and then give the wrench short-cooldown abilities that buff a single turret’s damage, or cause it to apply conditions on its next hit, etc. These are ideas just off the top of my head, but you get the general idea. Turning turret use into a skill based “mini-game” is a far better alternative than just letting 25% of our utility skills be totally useless.

Prismatic Storm: Ele
Prismatic Science: Engi
Prismatic Dream: Mesmer