Diversity in the scaling of kits.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

This is not about kits not scaling with weapons or sigils, it’s about something else… a suggestion in fact.

While trying out many builds and options for an engineer, I hit the same wall over and over again. It has to do with what kit is scaling best on what build.
Let me explain:

If I understand it correctly both elixir gun and flamethrower scale best on conditional damage, while the bombs and grenades scale best on power.

The toolkit too scales on power, but I never see many use that, still: it’s there and some do use it.

When making a build that has support, one also needs to figure out his amulet and traits for the type of damage we can do.

When using elixir gun, or flamethrower, we end up with pistol(s) and shield, since we need conditional damage.

When we want to go with a power rifle build, we’re almost forced to use bombs or grenades. both have the same type of ‘support’… they blow things up around you and your teammates.

What I would like is for one of either elixir gun or flamethrower to scale on power, and one of either bombs or grenades scale on conditional damage.

Bomb kit #1 planting bleeding or burning bombs for example, not just #2.
Or Elixir gun #1 to be pure damage, and not bleeds mainly. The weaknes can stay, that’s different in the end.

How it would work out, isn’t my main concern here.
The main idea is that power builds would be able to use the elixir gun, and conditional builds wouldn’t nerf themselves using bombs (or grenades, pick one to change).

Currently I’m trying a rifle build for example, but I would like to keep the support of an elixir gun as an option.
While if I go pistol and shield build, it would be great to keep one strong explosives option.

Currently both types are in the same scaling field… which is limiting compared to mixing them up a it.

Support = forced to go conditional, so pistols

Boom! = forced to go power so rifle

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

in Engineer

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Speccing condition for flamethrower seems folly to me as the vast majority of flamethrower damage is direct, not condition.

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Speccing condition for flamethrower seems folly to me as the vast majority of flamethrower damage is direct, not condition.

Ah, is it?
I considered it to be burning most.

If so than my whole theory is wrong (and so is my use of flamethrower in conditonal builds than).

Hoping for more feedback, but thanks for replying.
it would be great if I was wrong about this.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

You get a very small duration burn as the last part of the #1 attack, and you can put down a flame wall on a fairly long (considering the other attacks) cooldown. The only other burn is your toolbelt one.

Compare that to the #1 and #2 attacks that (aside from mentioned above) are pure direct damage and impacted by power/precision.

in Engineer

Posted by: Visionary.5681

Visionary.5681

Flamethower is generally considered a power based weapon as stated above. This is because the only real condition you can apply with it is burn with the fire field.

EG on the other hand is considered condition based because of its 1,2,3 attack.

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Thanks both.

I stand corrected on this one than.
This opens more possibilities in my build experiments indeed.

The last thing I would have taken the flamethrower for was to be more direct damage orientated. I should check the tooltip numbers better I guess.

in Engineer

Posted by: manekineko.3490

manekineko.3490

It hasn’t been mentioned yet, but grenades CAN be strong on a condition damage engi as well. (I’ve seen seen very viable pistol/grenade builds.)

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

It hasn’t been mentioned yet, but grenades CAN be strong on a condition damage engi as well. (I’ve seen seen very viable pistol/grenade builds.)

Thanks for pointing that out too.

I’m not going to delete my topic because you all took the trouble to reply, but it seems it can be matched up just in any combination I would see fit.

Still learning, and this helped a lot.