Do People dislike static discharge?

in Engineer

Posted by: Gooz Nooz.2960

Gooz Nooz.2960

Q:

Recently, i’ve been using an sd engi build and i have had many people rage at me for using sd. So this question is asking for an answer whether people dislike Static discharge because it is op. And if so, why?

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

static discharge is not op. it’s far from op. in fact it’s not even that good of a build. i am unsure why when newbies ask for power builds people flock to recommend SD. and they don’t even recommend the good variant of SD builds. they recommend rifle SD with tool kit as the only kit lol. godkitten it stop.

as for why people rage at you, i can think of 2 scenarios. people on your team rage at you because you are running an underwhelming build, or people on the other team rage at you because they are not the greatest of players and sd’s burst is fairly high so you kill them rather quickly.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

snip

Everything Ellesee said. The build is very glassy and is a nuke or be nuked spec to run. Also at competitive play it requires extremely high skill and often you have to make compromises, not necessarily using med kit, tool kit, rifle turret and utility goggles as the “standard” spec would suggest. But it’s not OP, people gotta just learn and adapt and as Engineer seems to be the current fotm people will vent at us.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

in Engineer

Posted by: ReesesPBC.4603

ReesesPBC.4603

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

static discharge is not op. it’s far from op. in fact it’s not even that good of a build. i am unsure why when newbies ask for power builds people flock to recommend SD. and they don’t even recommend the good variant of SD builds. they recommend rifle SD with tool kit as the only kit lol. godkitten it stop.

as for why people rage at you, i can think of 2 scenarios. people on your team rage at you because you are running an underwhelming build, or people on the other team rage at you because they are not the greatest of players and sd’s burst is fairly high so you kill them rather quickly.

I had to fix this for you, don’t forget next time.

in Engineer

Posted by: ReesesPBC.4603

ReesesPBC.4603

+1 for double wahoo, which I forgot to add.

in Engineer

Posted by: Samson.1345

Samson.1345

SD is an interesting build in that it is extremely potent if played well, but mediocre if not played well. Because it is a fairly tough build to play, most people who run it are not very effective in anything but 1v1s which is why your team is angry. The opposing team would get mad if you played it well as it can be quite effective. Your team might also be angry because SD has limited uses in TPvP as it doesn’t perform that well in team fights and can’t bunker home or far. It is mostly accepted that SD is not a good choice for TPvP as engineers have many more versatile and effective builds for the point-centric style of game-play involved. I have also attached a link to the SD build that I personally run when I run SD.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUnUISJXWTF2XBrXGpvYGdQPlDoPYgAEV+A-ThRBABXt/o8DPdAPcBAA4BAQp6PmpEMAwBwv/GAWe5lXe5l73f/93f/NA-e

in Engineer

Posted by: bethekey.8314

bethekey.8314

ellesee.8297

I mess around with SD in hotjoins for fun. It is simple to play and the fights are straightforward, making it a decent build for new engineers who need to learn one thing at a time. Throwing a three kit build on a new engineer only serves to overwhelm and discourage them when they never have success with it. At least with SD, you have a chance against a better player if you catch them in a lucky burst.

I would also like to know why you think toolkit-only SD builds are not good for the purpose of the build. Apparently, I have been playing it wrong.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

ellesee.8297

I mess around with SD in hotjoins for fun. It is simple to play and the fights are straightforward, making it a decent build for new engineers who need to learn one thing at a time. Throwing a three kit build on a new engineer only serves to overwhelm and discourage them when they never have success with it. At least with SD, you have a chance against a better player if you catch them in a lucky burst.

I would also like to know why you think toolkit-only SD builds are not good for the purpose of the build. Apparently, I have been playing it wrong.

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80! I am posting from my frand’s account!

If Tool Kit is your only kit, what are you going to do after you do your burst! Spam rifle auto attacks! That’s just thilly! If you’re not running an offensive kit, obviously your offensive capabilities are extremely limited! You’ll basically be a pre patch Fresh Air Ele but without the damage and without the survivability! It’s just not a good build! If you really want to go SD, take the Grenade Kit and go 30/0/0/10/30! With the Grenade Kit, you’ll have more burst with Grenade Barrage! You’ll have more survivability through blind and chill! You’ll have more aoe! You’ll have poison to deal with bunkers and Warriors and even Warrior bunkers! You’ll have more sustained damage! You can stack might with Enhance Performance, Battle Sigil, and Strength Runes! It’s just the better choice!

Hope that helped! Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

(edited by ArrDee.2573)

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

sd build = thief with no stealth and worse mobility

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

There’s only one thing I used that build for and that was events in Orr. It’s great to tag all those mobs.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

A little OT, but:

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80! I am posting from my frand’s account!

What’s up with this? :P

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

There’s only one thing I used that build for and that was events in Orr. It’s great to tag all those mobs.

If you use SD for tagging as an engineer, … god I’m speechless after reading that …

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: bethekey.8314

bethekey.8314

ArrDee.2573

If Tool Kit is your only kit, what are you going to do after you do your burst! Spam rifle auto attacks! That’s just thilly! If you’re not running an offensive kit, obviously your offensive capabilities are extremely limited! You’ll basically be a pre patch Fresh Air Ele but without the damage and without the survivability! It’s just not a good build! If you really want to go SD, take the Grenade Kit and go 30/0/0/10/30! With the Grenade Kit, you’ll have more burst with Grenade Barrage! You’ll have more survivability through blind and chill! You’ll have more aoe! You’ll have poison to deal with bunkers and Warriors and even Warrior bunkers! You’ll have more sustained damage! You can stack might with Enhance Performance, Battle Sigil, and Strength Runes! It’s just the better choice!

There is a reason I said “for the purpose of the build” in my original post. It is true; adding grenades into any engineer build generally makes it stronger for many of the reasons you listed here. That mindset is so engrained, however, that builds that are meant to be something else (quick in-and-out-burst) are just turned into another power grenade build

What do I do after my burst? Well, I have more skills than just my three toolbelt abilities. Also, contrary to what you seem to think, toolkit is not just a block. When you are not forced to go 6 in explosives for grenadier, you can opt for more crit and rifle damage in firearms. I would argue crit is better than raw power for this build because of the on-crit double air/fire runes and reliance on big, fast damage. Rifle auto-attack is more consistent and in my opinion comparable in damage with nades with sigil procs. In fact, I believe I would win a 1v1 where I only use rifle auto attack and the other engineer only uses nades.

This build is not for team-fight AoE. There are much better specs for that purpose than anything involving SD. Where SD shines is small fights where you can unpredictably and quickly take someone down. Instant cast abilities like surprise shot and analyze from goggles lend themselves to that and are still better from my actual experience.

in Engineer

Posted by: Myron.6732

Myron.6732

I personally love static discharge. One thing to keep in mind is that you will not be that guy bunking home or mid or throwing down aloe like many other engies. Instead you trade all if that for single target burst and CC. With this build you are better off roaming of killing priority targets. Those guardians who never die will blow through all their cool downs in the first 5 seconds while you keep bursting them down. You can literally overwhelm bunkers with sheer CC and damage. Those pesky staff else’s can be pulled and busted down with ease. With the trait that gives turret knock backs you can play a little decap and create some distance against heavy melee pressure. Your insta cast Analyze and Surprise Shot can steal monsters very well. Don’t play this build if you want AOE support. Play it for the ranged no tell burst that it offers.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

egads vee wee broke out of character

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in Engineer

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Anyone know the weapon coefficient for static discharge? Trying to figure out how hard it can hit with full buffs (25 might stacks, banners, sigils). The wiki doesn’t say, not sure if it’s similar to the ele staff air 1.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Recently, i’ve been using an sd engi build and i have had many people rage at me for using sd. So this question is asking for an answer whether people dislike Static discharge because it is op. And if so, why?

Wow. People will complain at just about anything these days. No, Static Discharge is not OP and in all my time of running it I have never had someone complain to me about it.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Oakwind.6187

Oakwind.6187

Anyone know the weapon coefficient for static discharge? Trying to figure out how hard it can hit with full buffs (25 might stacks, banners, sigils). The wiki doesn’t say, not sure if it’s similar to the ele staff air 1.

I am guessing it is the same thing as Sigil of Air one. In which case:

- The lightning strike has a 1.1 damage coefficient.
- The lightning strike has a base damage of 955.

I play Engineer.
Balthazar runes are broken.

in Engineer

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

Considering that the skill functions pretty much exactly like the elementalist’s Chain Lightning projectile skill, I very much doubt it would have the same properties as Sigil of Air’s instant proc damage.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

in Engineer

Posted by: Oakwind.6187

Oakwind.6187

Considering that the skill functions pretty much exactly like the elementalist’s Chain Lightning projectile skill, I very much doubt it would have the same properties as Sigil of Air’s instant proc damage.

In which case it would be:

Damage: 203 (0.55 coefficient)
Maximum targets: 3
Range: 1,200

I play Engineer.
Balthazar runes are broken.

in Engineer

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Yes that is what I was considering, sigil of air probably is more in lines with ele scepter 2