Do engineers do good damage?

in Engineer

Posted by: BSV Snafu.9854

BSV Snafu.9854

So as the title says “Do engineers do good damage?” Also what builds would you guys recommend for doing dungeons and fractals?
Thanks in advance!

in Engineer

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in Engineer

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Occasional 9k bombs, too. 8k even in CoF.

Attachments:

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Engineer

BSV Snafu.9854

I REALLY like that build. So you guys like your engineer right? I got a ele and engi both below 30 and I’m gonna eventually lvl both but I wanna lvl 1 currently. The ele does higher DMG if I do like a melee build with the lightning hammer but its kinda boring. Is the engi more interesting at 80 and which prof would you think would be better for puggin dungeons and fractals?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Ele definitely wins for dungeons. They have very high damage with LH and staff, and even higher with Fiery Greatsword rushing and Ice Bow 4 vs structs and bosses with large hitboxes. I have no idea about fractals though. I personally enjoy playing my engineer a lot more than ele, mostly due to how active gameplay can be with multiple skill sets at your disposal without dealing with any swapping cooldowns. We can stack might and vulnerability easily, as well as area stealth, condition removal with elixir gun, a projectile destroying or reflecting wall on Elixir U, and area heals by blasting water fields. Ele on the other hand has better might stacking, vuln stacking, and high damage, but at the cost of lower survivablity.

It’s your choice, really, but I hope you will level both and play whichever you enjoy the most, rather than which is better at X piece of content.

in Engineer

Posted by: StrykerMagnus.4120

StrykerMagnus.4120

I’m going to sound like an idiot, but how are you getting 8k with the auto-attack? I’m new to engineers (and the game) and I’m maybe…maybe getting 800 with my bombs. I’m only level 30 with my engineer so I go to Heart of the Mists to test out various builds, but I just can’t get it to work. I still hit like a wet noodle.

In WvW, I encountered a decked-out warrior and was wailing on him for awhile and he just stood there looking at me. After barely scratching him, he finally decided to put me out of my misery and slaughtered me with his hammer.

I really want my engineer to work.

in Engineer

BSV Snafu.9854

Thanks I think I’m gonna do an engi first just wanna do dungeons with my buddys and still be able to do dungeons with randoms when my Buddys aren’t playing while still having fun. Not trying to do a flavor of the month type of thing but eventually I’ll get both of em up and choose which one is more fun to me.

in Engineer

BSV Snafu.9854

To strykermagnus a upscaled person in wvw vs a lvl 80 in wvw is gonna get wrecked usually from my experience.

in Engineer

StrykerMagnus.4120

To strykermagnus a upscaled person in wvw vs a lvl 80 in wvw is gonna get wrecked usually from my experience.

When I test, I just go test against those Golems that are standing around. The number I quoted above was against the heavy armor golem. That is what I always test against to see how a build performs just to get raw numbers. I’m in no position to test against someone who’s actually competent. lol

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Stats are handled differently in PvP. Because the critical damage you can reach in PvP with amulets is much lower than the amount you can reach in PvE with full berserker’s gear, you won’t be seeing numbers near as high as you can in PvE. Those 8ks are also with might stacks, bloodlust stacks, vulnerability stacks on your target, and 10% damage increasing sigils like Sigil of the Night and sigils of x slaying or potions of x slaying. Power/pre/crit boosts from other party members, such as Empower Allies, Spotter, Frost Spirit, and warrior banners, also improve damage. In short: don’t expect pvp damage to be any indication of group PvE damage.

in Engineer

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Stryker, twinks (uplevels) in WvW can work but only certain levels and very specific builds. For the most part, uplevels will get wrecked. Basically, there’s simply now way to replace the better trait’s and exotic runes/sigils with raw stats.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

StrykerMagnus.4120

I see. So I may be “up-leveled” in WvW, but I’m not truly getting all of the perks of being a natural level 80. That makes sense then why I wasn’t doing the same type of damage or possessing the same kind of survivability.

In testing on the heavy armor golem in The Mists, I’d use runes. But when in WvW, I was going without any runes or any other buff. I’d just use the armor and weapons that I found. Suddenly, a lot of my frustration and confusion from the engineer makes so much more sense. Thank you!

in Engineer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I’m going to sound like an idiot, but how are you getting 8k with the auto-attack? I’m new to engineers (and the game) and I’m maybe…maybe getting 800 with my bombs. I’m only level 30 with my engineer so I go to Heart of the Mists to test out various builds, but I just can’t get it to work. I still hit like a wet noodle.

In WvW, I encountered a decked-out warrior and was wailing on him for awhile and he just stood there looking at me. After barely scratching him, he finally decided to put me out of my misery and slaughtered me with his hammer.

I really want my engineer to work.

The 8k bomb hit requires:

- PvE Berserker gear (PvP amulet gives less total stats)
- As many ally buffs as you can get, including, at minimum, max stacks of might and vuln
- A crit on the hit in the question, i.e. 8k on one crit =/= 8k average DPS.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kratos.6293

Kratos.6293

Occasional 9k bombs, too. 8k even in CoF.

Could someone use this build and see how fast they kill a veteran giant ?