Elite Spec Idea: Saboteur

in Engineer

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

Elite spec idea: Saboteur

Spec Role:
Either DPS or “offensive support” through debilitating conditions

Bonus Weapon Proficiency:
Both dagger and torch for either mainhand or offhand could work. Of the four options, dagger mainhand is likely best because:
-Engies already have access to 2 offhand weapons but only one mainhand
-Torches are currently restricted to offhand only, and may require some code rework
-Dagger fits better thematically (in my opinion)

New Skill Type:
Traps fit this spec perfectly. Arguments could be made for other skill types, but nothing says saboteur like walking through a minefield to reach them.

Example Trait Ideas:
Minor:
Explosive Acumen: All mines (Bunker Down, Throw Mine, Throw Mine Toolbelt, ect) benefit from skills, traits, and effects that refer to traps. On activating a toolbelt skill, place a small mine (Similar to Bunker Down mine) at your feet.

Major:
Disorienting Traps: Traps apply weakness for <?>, and your conditions deal <?%> more damage to targets with weakness.

Example Skills:

Utility Skill and corresponding Toolbelt:
Aetheric Jolt Trap: Place a trap at your feet. When detonated, this trap fires a lightning bolt at the triggering target for <?> damage that bounces to an additional 4 targets. The first target struck is stunned, and all targets struck gain <?> stacks of confusion for <?> seconds. If detonated prematurely, this trap fires at the closest target within <?> range.
Aetheric Resonator: Break stuns and gain a shocking aura for <?> seconds.

Elite Skill and corresponding Toolbelt:
Remote Detonation: Prematurely detonate all traps you have active, and gain <?> might for <?> seconds per trap detonated. (Note, small landmines would probably need reduced might from this ability, otherwise you’d be able to Throw Mine toolbelt -> Remote Detonation to have stupidly high might)
Mark Target: For <?> seconds, target is revealed and marked. Marked targets take <?%> more damage from your traps, and traps apply bonus conditions against them.

Any thoughts?

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

in Engineer

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

*See Dragon Hunter

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

I thought traps would fit for a future engineer ES as well, I had another ES idea in my mind which works with traps too. And I really like the idea to make mines count as traps, because they really feel like some.

I would like to know what you think skills for dagger could be.

Thoughts for the things you already stated:
Minor trait: I really like the idea behind this, but I think it is unlikely to happen, because no ES improved existing skills that way. And maybe it would be too powerful, because the new traits wouldn’t just work for the new skills, but some old skills and traits too….

Major trait: We already got really strong weakness with scrapper and it doesn’t fit to the offensive role. Weakness is in most game modes a defensive condition, to mitigate damage. Just in PvP it can be offensive, because the enemy isn’t able to dodge as much as before.

Utility skill: Interesting new idea for a trap. We don’t have any bouncing traps as far as I know and I would like to see this. Toolbelt seems fine but again it is more defensive than offensive.

Elite skill: I see some problems in this idea. It just doesn’t behave like a trap (and it should be one) and more important: It isn’t doing anything on its own. It requires specific utility skills to give you any benefit from it and skills shouldn’t require other skills to work. The toolbelt skill: the damage buff part would be great if it gives bonus damage for all sources. So it doesn’t require other traps to have an effect and we would finally get a unique party buff. But I would delete the revealed part of it. We already are the profession with the strongest reveal in this game: utility goggles toolbelt, trait for auto utility goggles toolbelt on hit and AoE reveal on sneak gyro toolbelt. I don’t think we need any more of this.

in Engineer

Posted by: SaboD.7290

SaboD.7290

Never going to happen. The Engineer along with the Revenant where rushed to meet a release deadline. So both of the classes are incomplete or just crap mechanics and skills mixed with some good ideas. How long did it take to get rid of hobo sacks? A-net moves at a snails pace and provides very little feedback. They will fix the class after a few years of complaining.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

Never going to happen. The Engineer along with the Revenant where rushed to meet a release deadline. So both of the classes are incomplete or just crap mechanics and skills mixed with some good ideas. How long did it take to get rid of hobo sacks? A-net moves at a snails pace and provides very little feedback. They will fix the class after a few years of complaining.

Did you see this as a suggestion to change the scrapper? It isn’t, it is meant as a suggestion for a future new ES. So I don’t get why you are saying they will “fix the class after a few years of complaining”.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tor.1365

Tor.1365

I like it!

Wild idea – how about this spec turning throw mine into a mine ‘Kit’? Give it the potential to throw a bunch of different mines around the place, and either wait for them to trip or selectively detonate them.

Getting a kit in an elite spec might be a nicer option than the lackluster gryos we got with Scrapper. These wouldn’t necessarily have to be ‘trap’ types – they wouldn’t benefit from runes, and would be visible to enemies – but would have some added advantages associated with kits (more skills, lower inductions and cooldowns).

Also, I’ve always wanted the experimental grenades available to engineer – maybe we can see some of them turn up in some kind of Saboteur weapon:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lyan%27s_Grenade_Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: Triangulator.2867

Triangulator.2867

It’s painfully obvious hobo sacks were not removed to please the engineer community. But rather to stop graphical or mechanical errors occurring with mid flight kit swapping and the gliders. The rest of your beliefs stated in your post is conjecture. Your emotional outburst is unbecoming of engineers and their forums, Sabo.

I think this elite spec idea is garbage. *see Dragon Hunter