Elite spec suggestion: The Alchemist

in Engineer

Posted by: Lahm.7056

Lahm.7056

Hey guys, sharing another ES idea, Elixirs have always been a favourite of mine and being a unique mechanic to the Engi, I feel it deserves a bit more digging. This ES idea takes the assumption that the Alchemy traitline is entirely reworked and adapted to an ES traitline, as such, some traits were slightly buffed to compensate. The aim was to make Elixirs more potent and perhaps balance their RNG nature a little bit so they become more dependable.

Please share your thoughts if you liked it.

Glossary:
- CT: Cast Time
- CD: Cooldown
- Example: 5s = 5 seconds
- CC’ed: Affected by Crowd Control (Stun, daze, etc)

Engineer Elite spec – The Alchemist

The Alchemist elite specialization focuses on supporting your allies through the use of crafted elixirs which enhance your allies with boons and debilitate your foes with conditions simultaneously. Elixirs also cause an Intoxication state on affected allies and enemies.
____

- Intoxication mechanic -

On allies: Whenever an ally is affected by an elixir, they gain 1 stack of beneficial intoxication for 10s, Intoxication on allies grant +2% general stat increase per stack and can stack up to 5 times. If Intoxication stacks go beyond 5, they will be removed and cause an Immunity state for 10s which prevents Intoxication stacking during that time.

On enemies: Whenever an enemy is affected by an elixir, they gain 1 stack of malicious intoxication for 10s, Intoxication on enemies grant a -2% general stat decrease per stack and can stack up to 5 times. If Intoxication stacks go beyond 5, they will be removed and cause an Immunity state for 10s which prevents Intoxication stacking during that time.
____

Elite kit: Alchemy kit (Range: 900, Radius: 240, Targets: 5)

1 – Elixir A (CT: ½, CD: 3s): Toss an elixir A to a location to grant your allies with Regeneration (5s) and causing Bleeding (5s) to your Foes.

2 – Elixir F (CT: ½, CD: 5s): Toss an elixir F to a location to grant your allies with Vigor (5s) and causing Cripple (3s) to your foes.

3 – Elixir D (CT: ¾, CD: 15s): Toss an elixir D to a location to grant your allies Protection (3s) and causing Weakness (5s) to your foes.

4 – Elixir G (CT: ¾ , CD: 30s): Toss an elixir G to a location to grant your allies Quickness (3s) and causing Slow (3s) to your foes

5 – Elixir Z (CT: 1s , CD: 60s): Toss an elixir Z to a location to make your allies Invulnerable (2s) and inflict Stun (2s) to your foes.

Toolbelt – Adrenaline Shot: (CT: Instant CD: 25s): Take an adrenaline shot and replenish 50 endurance. (break stun).
____

- Elite weapon & Elite mechanic -

Elite spec weapon: Focus – The Alchemist uses a Gizmo deployer to damage foes and heal allies.

Elite unique mechanic (F) – Defibrillation Gizmo: (CT: 1s CD: 60s): Deploy a Gizmo on a downed ally to instantly bring him to life.

4 – Hazardous Gizmo (CT: 1s CD: 35): Deploy a Gizmo that pulses Torment, Bleeding and Cripple inside its radius. (Range: -, Radius: 240, Duration: 6s)

5 – Mending Gizmo (CT:1s CD: 45): Deploy a Gizmo that heals and pulses Regeneration and healing over time inside its radius. (Range: -, Radius: 240, Duration: 6s)
______

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv – Traitline below – vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Lancelot – Guardian – Deso – Hyperreal [PAL]
- Proudly not going to go DH -
I’m looking at you, Rev..

(edited by Lahm.7056)

in Engineer

Lahm.7056

- Alchemist trait line -

Minor adept – Meticulous Alchemy - Allows for The Alchemist to equip a Focus off-hand weapon to use Gizmo skills. Elixirs grant an Intoxication state to affected allies and enemies.

Major adept:

1 – Overdrive: Gizmos apply vulnerability (10 stacks) and daze (2s) nearby foes when destroyed (Range 240).

2 – Invigorating speed: Whenever you apply vigor to allies, you also apply superspeed (2s) (CD: 10s)

3 – Vitamin Dispenser: When CC’ed drop an elixir D at your location. (CD: 15s)
__

Minor master – Transmute: Incoming conditions have a chance to convert into boons. (25%)

Major master:

1 – Flexed deployment: Gizmos can be deployed at distance (Range: 900) and their deployment cast time is cut in half (CT: 1/2)

2 – Self-regulating Defenses: Drink an Elixir S when you are struck while below the health threshold. (CD: 60s)

3 – Backpack regenerator: Regenerate health and endurance (2) every second when using a kit.

__

Grandmaster adept – Alchemical tinctures - Throwing or consuming an elixir removes a condition from those affected (internal CD: 2s). Boon duration is increased by 25%.

Grandmaster major:

1 – Advanced Alchemy: Elixirs grant might (1 stack / 6s) to affected allies, have reduced recharge (20%), increased boon duration and condition duration (20%). Adrenaline shot now affects other nearby allies (Range: 240) and also grants Stability (2 stacks).

2 – Enhanced Gizmos: Gizmos are invulnerable (2s) when deployed and apply chill (3s) to nearby foes. Gizmos operate for a longer period (4s). Conditions and boons applied by gizmos last longer. (30%)

3 – Emergency flasks: Drink an elixir depending on your situation:
- When below 75% drink Elixir B (CD: 40s)
- When CC’ed take an Adrenaline Shot (CD: 25s)
- When condition number is 3 or higher, drink an Elixir C (CD: 40s)
- When below 25% drop an Elixir S at your location (stealth) (CD: 50s)

(edited by Lahm.7056)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

While I am totally for an alchemy based elite spec for the next turn, your idea doesn’t really work out for me, sorry. =/

1. The class mechanic is basically the scrapper mechanic without the stomp and immediate rezz as a trade…. I would like to have something new as a mechanic.
2. Your utility skills…. Gyzmos…. Let’s be honest, they are basically Gyros again. We need something else than AI, if the next elite spec is going to have a new pet type again, I will stop playing this game.
3. You said yourself the traitline is reworking alchemy as a new elite spec… That should never happen in my opinion. Elite specs are additional trait lines per design now. Upgrading an existing trait line would just make them inferior to the other specs like Scrapper.

in Engineer

Lahm.7056

While I am totally for an alchemy based elite spec for the next turn, your idea doesn’t really work out for me, sorry. =/

1. The class mechanic is basically the scrapper mechanic without the stomp and immediate rezz as a trade…. I would like to have something new as a mechanic.
2. Your utility skills…. Gyzmos…. Let’s be honest, they are basically Gyros again. We need something else than AI, if the next elite spec is going to have a new pet type again, I will stop playing this game.
3. You said yourself the traitline is reworking alchemy as a new elite spec… That should never happen in my opinion. Elite specs are additional trait lines per design now. Upgrading an existing trait line would just make them inferior to the other specs like Scrapper.

Thanks for your reply, Kodama.

Those are some very good points.

1. I don’t see it being another Scrapper, there’s a new kit that synergies with the whole traitline, the only Focus weapon skill that could be compared to the Scrapper is Hammer #5, I would agree with the “F” elite mechanic being a bit too inspired on the Function Gyro.

2. Gyzmos are not utility skills, only weapon skills from the off-hand Focus and the “F” elite mechanic. I decided to not include utility Gyzmos since this spec is more Elixir-oriented and there are already Elixir utilities. I should have mentioned a bit more about them before posting, they are meant to be stationary devices with an AoE radius around them, by default they can’t be used from range (read more on traits) and they can be destroyed before they expire.

3. I think Alchemy is a very good traitline by itself but there’s potential for more, hence the rework suggestion.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

1. I actually meant the F mechanic. ^^ It is really close to the Function Gyro.

2. Misunderstood you there it seems. But every elite spec comes with a new set of utility skills and the only skill you provided then was the new elite kit. If we don’t add a new utility type because of elixirs… it isn’t really an elite spec.

3. Have to agree here. I think you should seperate these ideas. Making a rework suggestion for Alchemy (which stays a base trait line) and another thread about a new alchemy based elite spec (I would prefer it being thematically based on alchemy while being an aggressive spec, using acid and other dangerous chemicals) with new utility skills, class mechanic and everything.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

An elite mechanic must be something that:
- Is visually interesting, a clear trademark for the Elite spec.
- Truly change how you play the profession, afecting all the other areas of the gameplay.
- Is active and doing something relevant most of the time.
- Is usefull in all game modes.

F Gyro ALREADY FAILED in being a proper Elite Spec Mechanic. It is a BAD gameplay design, with a good basic premise but totally underdeveloped: extremely niche, with weak interface design, dependent on the bad play of others, with very specific use (maybe 1% use in PvE?), and, worst of all, utterly boring.

Please don’t propose things that are similar to F-Gyro. Please, don’t imitate gyros at all.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Engineer

Lahm.7056

Please don’t propose things that are similar to F-Gyro. Please, don’t imitate gyros at all.

We have different opinions regarding Function Gyro, while it is not a brilliant design, it is a decent elite mechanic implemented in a well rounded elite spec, specially traited.

I do agree it shouldn’t be replicated even if closely similar, I’m thinking about another elite mechanic more suited to the spec theme, something along the lines of becoming a Hulking abomination on steroids for a short time or turning into a puddle of goo when HP reaches 0, giving you time to reassemble if the enemy doesn’t sweep the floor with you first.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Why do you choose the mechanic to be something you only use when you have failed to keep yourself alive? Don’t get me wrong: I think those are very good ideas. But I think they are suited to be traits or skills, not the whole elite spec mechanics. Not if they are just automatic lifesavers for when dropping to 0 health, at least.

An elite mechanic must be something that:
- Is visually interesting, a clear trademark for the Elite spec.
- Truly change how you play the profession, afecting all the other areas of the gameplay.
- Is active and doing something relevant most of the time.
- Is usefull in all game modes.

I dind’t make this list out of nothing. This is an amalgam of the complains people posted here in the forums, and of the objectives the devs themselves declared for the Elite Specs.

If you can make your ES mechanic to fit that list, I asure you it will be great.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks