Elixir Gun bug? not affected with traits.

in Engineer

Posted by: WilliCalifornia.1837

WilliCalifornia.1837

so I was testing something with 30 in alchemy. Reduced elixirs cooldown, Increase duration, and all elixirs grants might. Elixer gun #5 and toolbelt are elixirs. Why are they not affected?.

in Engineer

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

Because if they were it would be extremely Overpowered. The elixir gun is already one of our best kits. HGH would be renewed as a massive meta, and extremely powerful at killing everyone, as elixir gun offers already massive support. Reducing the skills recharge by up to 40%, increasing the regen duration would be very helpful, and the HGH means nades + elixir gun + elixir s/b would be unstoppable.

in Engineer

Posted by: germmar.2358

germmar.2358

Probably because EG is a Kit, so all the EG skills are considered as Kit. So the Elixir trait doesn’t affect it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

Just a tooltip bug. They’ve never been considered elixirs as far as proccing traits.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aretak.3826

Aretak.3826

Because if they were it would be extremely Overpowered. The elixir gun is already one of our best kits. HGH would be renewed as a massive meta, and extremely powerful at killing everyone, as elixir gun offers already massive support. Reducing the skills recharge by up to 40%, increasing the regen duration would be very helpful, and the HGH means nades + elixir gun + elixir s/b would be unstoppable.

This guy, this guy doesn’t know kitten. EG is easily the worst kit that offers nothing, not to mention HGH has always been limited to nobrain builds good for only pubstomps.

Anyway It’s weird phrasing, elixir traits were never intended to affect it.

in Engineer

Posted by: herrard.1274

herrard.1274

EG is good. None of our other kits excel at targeting single opponents in long range. You would have to switch to our pistol to do that. But remember EG #1 not only applies bleed, it also applies weakness which makes it very useful against power builds. The other skills in the kit are also useful if the engi knows what they are doing granted they are more for utility than damage like the other kits. I wouldn’t say it offers nothing.

I would love HGH to effect EG but I think it will never happen. In the right hands, it would become too powerful.

[WZ] Dbounty – Ferguson’s Crossing

in Engineer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

This guy, this guy doesn’t know kitten. EG is easily the worst kit that offers nothing, not to mention HGH has always been limited to nobrain builds good for only pubstomps.

Anyway It’s weird phrasing, elixir traits were never intended to affect it.

Elixir gun is probably one of the best kits we have. Fumigate ALONE makes it worth taking, then you add in the stunbreak, snare, spammable weakness, aoe healing, and a high damage blast finisher.

It may not be as "focused’ as some of the other kits, but that doesn’t make it weak by any stretch of the imagination.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

But remember EG #1 not only applies bleed, it also applies weakness which makes it very useful against power builds.

And this is why these debates go nowhere. Upto 2/3 of any profession’s skill set is tuned for SPVP, and so have very limited value in PVE (or even most parts of WVW).

in Engineer

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

EG is an amazing kit. I cringe every time I see ye olde flamethrower engineer, seemingly hellbent on using only nothing but the Flamethrower. Any FT oriented engineer using only the flamer is frankly doing it wrong.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Just chiming in to give EG my love as well. As KUTM said, it’s got a whole bag of tricks that are useful in any build. What else would you take?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: merkator.9206

merkator.9206

^This doesn’t really answer the OPs question. They are in fact listed as “Elixir” type skill.

Probably because EG is a Kit, so all the EG skills are considered as Kit. So the Elixir trait doesn’t affect it.

^But the game gives no written indication that this would be the case.

Just a tooltip bug. They’ve never been considered elixirs as far as proccing traits.

^That is most likely correct. I know that a game this huge has a lot of things still to be ironed out, but I wish that this wasn’t still confusing players.

Regardless of the gameplay ramifications, either the trait description is badly worded, the tooltips or wrong, or there actually is a bug. In any of those cases there is an inconsistency between the behavior of the game and the basic information relayed to the players.
I posted a few days ago on this in the BUGS forum. Here is a link

If you have comments, post there too since active bug threads sometimes get more love. Also, the sticky at the top is telling us to post bugs there (and helps avoid unhelpful posts like all the EG hate vs. love posts).

(edited by merkator.9206)

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

As mentioned by Aegeal, it is just a tooltip bug.

The way this came about is because the beta version of the elixir gun did actually have some of its abilities affected by elixir-based traits, such as elixir F, healing mist, and super elixir. In actual fact, it was possible to lower the cooldown on elixir F to about 3 seconds, so you were essentially capable of perma-crippling an opponent (provided the dumb thing hit).

However, at some point (I believe following beta weekend 1 and starting with beta weekend 2) they changed it so that the elixir-based traits no longer affected elixir gun skills. This makes sense as per the skill organization since the elixir gun is a kit and not an elixir. As such, it is not really fair that it can be boosted by both kit-based and elixir-based traits.

For whatever reason, they just never ended up removing the “elixir” keyword from all of the abilities. It is very reasonable to expect elixir-based traits to work for these skills considering the presence of the “elixir” keyword on them, but it is unfortunately just something they’ve never fixed.

As to why they haven’t fixed it yet, it probably comes down to modifications to tooltips, even simplistic ones, being a somewhat time consuming and resource intensive process. As such, trying to tweak individual tooltips here and there isn’t always efficient. Hopefully they will do another tooltip correction pass through and actually remove the “elixir” keyword from all elixir gun skills when they do (although they didn’t the last time they did such a pass through).

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

EG is easily the worst kit that offers nothing.

I don’t want you as an engineer in my team… snif

Seriously:

• stunbreaker with heal
  • 2nd heal
  • condicleanse for EVERYONE
  • blastfinisher with tons of dmg

Is not worth taking for ONE UTILITY SLOT!? Man where do you live? Champion-Train-Ville?

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”