Elixir R. Intented or exploit?

in Engineer

Posted by: AppleHack.7340

AppleHack.7340

Q:

I just played a match of tPvP and i had 1v1 moment with an engineer, when he went down he got back up in an instant. Later i asked him how did he get up and he said that if you throw one of your elixirs just before going down it will also revive your self.

Right after the tournament i logged on my engineer to find the elixir and it seems to be Elixir R.

Now i’d like to ask if this is an exploit or just “good playing” since i imagine it will be quite hard to pull off, but if you do manage to do it it’s quite OP and just makes the trick be a giant iWin trick which would mean that you should always CC an engineer before getting them in to a downed state or you’d be just healing them.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jordan.6157

Jordan.6157

It’s not a trick. It’s how the elixer is meant to be used. Someone seems a bit butt-hurt!

in Engineer

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

What you’re referring to is Toss Elixir R, an 85 second cool down ability. In order to revive yourself you have to cast it within 1-2 seconds of death (I think). Also, its an AoE spell, so you have to manually target it.

All told, it’s a giant pain in the kitten and usually doesn’t work.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Yeah, it creates a field AoE that does 6 ticks that give a fallen allie 20% of their total health each tick. Some folks simply use it to their advantage to toss it just before they die. It has to be tossed at the right time in the right location.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

Its a really hard skill to use due to the timing and the fact that you are giving up a valuable skill slow.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in Engineer

AppleHack.7340

It’s not a trick. It’s how the elixer is meant to be used. Someone seems a bit butt-hurt!

Was waiting for an answer just as mature as this.

Its a really hard skill to use due to the timing and the fact that you are giving up a valuable skill slow.

Yes, but why aren’t spells like Necromancers Signet of undeath, Guardians Revive signet, Mesmers revive spell or Elementalists revive spell(these for example) allowed to have a chance to revive yourself? They too are giving a “valueable” skill slot (i’m assuming you meant to say that) for that spell.

Yeah, it creates a field AoE that does 6 ticks that give a fallen allie 20% of their total health each tick. Some folks simply use it to their advantage to toss it just before they die. It has to be tossed at the right time in the right location.

Ahh yes sorry, i forgot to mention that it is the THROW “part” of the skill. Thanks for pointing that out.

in Engineer

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Yes, but why aren’t spells like Necromancers Signet of undeath, Guardians Revive signet, Mesmers revive spell or Elementalists revive spell(these for example) allowed to have a chance to revive yourself? They too are giving a “valueable” skill slot (i’m assuming you meant to say that) for that spell.

Actually the Ele can self revive if you cast it in the fire attunemet. But good luck getting it off, it’s one of the longest channels in the game and only gives you a window of a few seconds to die in for the self-revive to trigger, you pretty much have to see the future to know when to use it. I have a level 60 Ele, and haven’t been able to pull it off even once, I’d say the engineer has it easy in comparison.

And it’s ‘valuable’. No ‘e’. Look it up if you don’t believe me.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Engineer

Posted by: RoughJaco.3148

RoughJaco.3148

They too are giving a “valueable” skill slot (i’m assuming you meant to say that) for that spell.

I assume he actually did mean “valuable”, which is the correct spelling for the adjectivation of “value”. Valuaeable without truncating the last vowel doesn’t exist in the English dictionary, I believe. “Slow” was obviously meant to be slot, but you seemed to catch up on that

If you decide to be a grammar nazi and condescend to people giving you answers you’d better, at least, know the proper spelling of the words you’re being pedantic about

And given our skillset and pvp tools, elixir R is a very valuable slot to give up indeed for what it does, and usually means you have to either narrow your kits (vertical drop in survivability or cc, or both), or give up condition removal (and be stomped by half the professions out there as we’re already very weak against conditions/kiting).

(edited by RoughJaco.3148)

in Engineer

Posted by: ProstoBob.8196

ProstoBob.8196

I belive it has only 3 ticks…of 20%
1 tick per 2 seconds

i might be wrong tho…need to test it again.

in Engineer

AppleHack.7340

My quote button seems to be broken. (Will edit quotes in when it starts working again.)

By RoughJaco.3148
“If you decide to be a grammar nazi and condescend to people giving you answers you’d better, at least, know the proper spelling of the words you’re being pedantic about”

Sorry i did not mean to be a grammar nazi i just honestly asked if he meant to say “slow” and i just didn’t understand what he was trying to say to me. “t” is in my opinion far away from “w” so it’s hard to typo it.

By RoughJaco.3148
“And given our skillset and pvp tools, elixir R is a very valuable slot to give up indeed for what it does, and usually means you have to either narrow your kits (vertical drop in survivability or cc, or both), or give up condition removal (and be stomped by half the professions out there as we’re already very weak against conditions/kiting).”

I’m not saying that engineers are OP because of this, i’m just asking if it is intended or not since in my opinion the tool tip does not imply that you could revive yourself with it.

By Conncept.7638
"Actually the Ele can self revive if you cast it in the fire attunemet. "

Ahh sorry i forgot that!

I’m not sure if i made my self clear in the first message but my question is only this: Is this intended or is this exploiting a bug in an (broken?)ability? This should not be discussion of if it’s fair to have that spell there or not.

in Engineer

Conncept.7638

I’m not sure if i made my self clear in the first message but my question is only this: Is this intended or is this exploiting a bug in an (broken?)ability? This should not be discussion of if it’s fair to have that spell there or not.

Okay then, it was brought up during beta, the devs stated that it was a good high skill-ceiling use of the ability and allowable. It is not a bug or exploit. Whether they always intended for it to work that way or players discovered this additional use is unknown, but either way, it is in the game by design, they could have changed it and chose not to.

in Engineer

AppleHack.7340

Okay then, it was brought up during beta, the devs stated that it was a good high skill-ceiling use of the ability and allowable. It is not a bug or exploit. Whether they always intended for it to work that way or players discovered this additional use is unknown, but either way, it is in the game by design, they could have changed it and chose not to.

Can you find source for this? I’d like to read it. I do agree that it’s quite a nice trick just doesn’t really seem intended and i don’t want my account to be banned for doing it. Maybe it indeed is a bug but they just decided to keep it in there.

in Engineer

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

Its not an exploit and it isnt tht easy to do.
Its buggy in how it works and in PVE it is almost useless since it relies on the enemy to not be attacking you since unless you are lucky it will take about 3 seconds for it to revive you. It works best 1v1 but fighting a group its much less potent.
If you see them pop it just keep attacking and dont try to finish and u will most likly negate the effect.

If u manage to get the timing perfect u could maybe call it cheap but it is no more an exploit than thiefs using latency and skills to practically permastealth, in which case it isnt really cheap just a good use of skills.

in Engineer

AppleHack.7340

Its not an exploit and it isnt tht easy to do.
Its buggy in how it works and in PVE it is almost useless since it relies on the enemy to not be attacking you since unless you are lucky it will take about 3 seconds for it to revive you. It works best 1v1 but fighting a group its much less potent.
If you see them pop it just keep attacking and dont try to finish and u will most likly negate the effect.

If u manage to get the timing perfect u could maybe call it cheap but it is no more an exploit than thiefs using latency and skills to practically permastealth, in which case it isnt really cheap just a good use of skills.

When i fought the engineer he got back up instantly i had not time to attack him again with my axe. (Necromancer)

in Engineer

Posted by: WhiteCrow.5310

WhiteCrow.5310

You shouldn’t feel put off by it, as you clearly won the fight. There’s plenty other extremely annoying things people can do while downed, but the best use of throw S is for reviving downed teammates while you continue fighting. I absolutely love it for tPvP and bunker builds.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

I do think OP is onto a bug that I’ve noticed occasionally.

Sometimes I notice that it revives instantly, when in reality, you never enter downed with 80% or higher HP, so it shouldn’t be doing that.

I doubt the instant revives are intended, but the longer ones are.

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: ProstoBob.8196

ProstoBob.8196

I do think OP is onto a bug that I’ve noticed occasionally.

Sometimes I notice that it revives instantly, when in reality, you never enter downed with 80% or higher HP, so it shouldn’t be doing that.

I doubt the instant revives are intended, but the longer ones are.

You shure it was not “rally” ?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sporadicus.1028

Sporadicus.1028

There are some items that let you enter a downed state with higher health than normal. There’s a food that does that, though I can’t remember the name. Combine that with elixir R, and a person can probably get back up very quick.

Malkin Rawl – Charr Engineer, Tarnished Coast
Loudmouth, lousy PvPer, and mediocre PvEer.
I don’t own, I just play

in Engineer

Posted by: TurtleMuncher.9750

TurtleMuncher.9750

its 6 ticks of 20% revive, so there is actually 120% healed, if he pops it just before he dies you gotta either burst him down (like 5k dmg per second fast ) or heal up for round 2.

MERC

in Engineer

Posted by: RoughJaco.3148

RoughJaco.3148

When i fought the engineer he got back up instantly i had not time to attack him again with my axe. (Necromancer)

It’s definitely not instant. If you got downed by literally a sliver of health and it happens on the tick, then yeah, you will pop up instantly, so if you only saw it once, it might have been that. If you keep seeing it though, then there might be a bug, but if there is one it’s not largely known of.

And I seriously doubt you would be banned for doing it yourself, it’s not even a creative use of the mechanics it’s a fair use of them, it’s impossible to track (not that they would anyway), and it’s been stated before it’s ok to do it as it’s seldom effective and has a big slot trade-off, not to mention situational and skill requirements (and more than a bit of luck).

in Engineer

Conncept.7638

Can you find source for this? I’d like to read it. I do agree that it’s quite a nice trick just doesn’t really seem intended and i don’t want my account to be banned for doing it. Maybe it indeed is a bug but they just decided to keep it in there.

Unfortunately that isn’t possible, it was on the forums, and the forums were wiped after each beta event. Sorry if you don’t believe me, but there’s really no way I can prove it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Alyssa.7254

Alyssa.7254

Ranger can do this with spirit elite, this is not an engineer only trick.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zandur.5012

Zandur.5012

There is counter play to this tactic. If you see them throw it down, you can try knocking them out of its AoE before downing them (engineers have only one ability that gives stability and its an elite skill nobody uses). Also if you do down them in the AoE of a thrown elixir R, you should attack them with damaging abilities instead of trying to finish them. The elixir refills their downed HP and you want to keep them downed until the 5second duration of the elixir has finished.

in Engineer

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

In all seriousness here – who has an AoE that goes away when they’re downed? All Toss Elixir R is, is a ground targetted AoE that pulses 20% revive every second for 6 seconds. If you throw it on the ground and and then get downed on top of it – why shouldn’t it bring you back up the same way it would everyone else?

Also, don’t compare other classes revive abilities, or any abilities for that matter. Other classes have different revives for a reason. Signet of Mercy and Signet of Undeath both have passive bonuses, and instant revive mechanics. Ours has to pulse, and you have to target it, cast it – AND it provides no passive bonuses. Apples to oranges.

Not an exploit, just a skilled player using a strategy-based skill.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sladeakakevin.4162

Sladeakakevin.4162

There is counter play to this tactic. If you see them throw it down, you can try knocking them out of its AoE before downing them (engineers have only one ability that gives stability and its an elite skill nobody uses). Also if you do down them in the AoE of a thrown elixir R, you should attack them with damaging abilities instead of trying to finish them. The elixir refills their downed HP and you want to keep them downed until the 5second duration of the elixir has finished.

“Throw Elixir U” can also give Engineers stability.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zahdane.4029

Zahdane.4029

I remember a dev stating it was a good tactic back in beta as well.
Exact words elude me however.

Zahzah – Stormbluff Isle
Asura Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: RapBreon.9836

RapBreon.9836

It’s extremely strong, both in duels and in tournament team-fighting situations. It more than justifies the 85 second cool-down, if not being OP outright in most circumstances, with there being only three legitimate ways of dealing with it.

1. Do insane DPS, or very high DPS and have poison. This becomes easier with multiple people, but still having people focus you while downed because you’ll get back up has its own tactical merits.

2. Have stability and be literally on top of the Engineer as he goes down.

3. Have a large knock-back, whenever I see another Engi drop it, they always eat an overcharge shot.

It shouldn’t be reviving instantly, but if you go down just as it ticks, it’ll pop you up before a finisher can finish you, which makes it even more OP.

in Engineer

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Working as intended.

in Engineer

Killyox.3950

In all seriousness here – who has an AoE that goes away when they’re downed? All Toss Elixir R is, is a ground targetted AoE that pulses 20% revive every second for 6 seconds. If you throw it on the ground and and then get downed on top of it – why shouldn’t it bring you back up the same way it would everyone else?

Also, don’t compare other classes revive abilities, or any abilities for that matter. Other classes have different revives for a reason. Signet of Mercy and Signet of Undeath both have passive bonuses, and instant revive mechanics. Ours has to pulse, and you have to target it, cast it – AND it provides no passive bonuses. Apples to oranges.

Not an exploit, just a skilled player using a strategy-based skill.

Not every second. It’s 20% every 2 sec for 6 sec and total 60% heal

in Engineer

Killyox.3950

its 6 ticks of 20% revive, so there is actually 120% healed, if he pops it just before he dies you gotta either burst him down (like 5k dmg per second fast ) or heal up for round 2.

Please stop with the nonsense. It’s 20% every 2 sec for total 60%.

in Engineer

Posted by: Volte.9670

Volte.9670

It’s called skill. Not an exploit

Ovadose – 80 Asura Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Mesmer can use portals to get in keeps in WvW. And it is allowed. So why should be using as skill like intended as engineer be an exploit? Escecially with the high cooldown mentiond and it not being easy to make it work(die exactly in the range of the elixir and throw it in before you die). Seems not like an exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Strongback.6420

Strongback.6420

It’s not nearly as powerful as you make it seem.
More often than not you still get killed by the guy in the downed state, even if you manage to land it perfectly.

Just keep attacking and he will die regardless.
Sometimes they can even use FINISH HIM before I get back up and I have absolutely no way of stopping them from doing that unlike certain other classes.

And considering how pretty much 90% of our damage and survival comes from utility skills, it’s pretty hefty sacrifice to give up an utility slot for an unreliable resurrection which is the main reason why I never use it.

Having Elixir S is simply so much better and more reliable.

in Engineer

Posted by: spankproof.4618

spankproof.4618

how is taking elixir R “giving up a utility slot” people don’t seem to take into account that this whole discussion is around its toolbelt application and it gives, a stun break and 2 extra dodges as well, also with 15 points in tools, the rez resets at 25% , i don’t leave home without elixir r its by far the best stun break skill for solo and group play, i don’t see how elixir s compares really

in Engineer

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

Correct me again if I’m wrong, but the wiki states that it’s 20% per pulse, 1 pulse per second for 6 seconds.

in Engineer

Posted by: JackBurton.1803

JackBurton.1803

I’m hungry and I’m mad at all of you.