Elixirs - Why Random? Ideas...

in Engineer

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

4 out of 7 elixirs have random effects.
It is no coincidence then, that these 4 elixirs are also some of the least used engineer skills.

Toss Elixir U

When I use Toss Elixir U, I hate getting Smoke Screen instead of Wall of Reflection.

Arenanet, you recently created an entirely new form of reflection for the engineer class in the form of a trait called, “Fortified Turrets”. Let’s have Smoke Screen and Wall of Reflection remain unique to their respective classes. Engineers have their own unique form of reflection, let us use it with Toss Elixir U.

- Make Toss Elixir U to create a Fortified Turrets form of reflection at the tossed area.

A cooldown decrease from 60 seconds to 45 seconds would be nice as well.

Toss Elixir B

On my Flamethrower/Elixirs build, 1/4 times that I use Toss Elixir B while travelling I will get swiftness, leaving me moving at base movement speed if I don’t get it. That is because this skill is RNG based.

This skill needs to give a guaranteed effect that we can rely on, other than the stability boon.

- Make Toss Elixir B grant 5 seconds of stability, might, fury, retaliation and swiftness.
- Increase the cooldown from 30 seconds to 40 seconds to match Elixir B and for balance.

Also, change Elixir B to only give 10 seconds of might instead of 30 seconds, for consistency with the other boons granted that only last 10 seconds.

Toss Elixir H & Elixir H

These are two of the most RNG based skills in the game and they don’t give you a desired effect at all. Against multiple opponents, I want protection. When I’m at range and I’m not taking too much damage, regeneration would be nice. Vigor would be nice all of the time. Swiftness does not compare to any of these.

- Make Toss Elixir H grant 5 seconds of protection, regeneration and swiftness.
- Make Elixir H grant 5 seconds of protection, regeneration and vigor.

PS. This means that Toss Elixir H and Elixir H had their swiftness/vigor boons swapped. Why? Because engineers have no way of giving allies swiftness and other classes have plenty of evade spam already. Swiftness would be more useful on Toss Elixir H while Vigor makes more sense on a healing skill (Elixir H) than swiftness does.

Those are my requests with elixirs. I want to love Elixir U… but I can’t the way it is right now.

An engineer who goes down the line of elixirs is going to be heavily boon based and must sacrifice other aspects to do so (static discharge, burst, conditions, etc.). There are many boon removal abilities on other classes to deal with such boon heavy builds. Let’s remove the RNG.

(edited by Zefrost.3425)

in Engineer

Posted by: Stallerenox.1295

Stallerenox.1295

Personally, I also love Elixir X… When I get the tornado aspect. The Juggernaut form doesn’t seem to provide enough of an immediate impact in the many scenarios I use it in! (As per its underwater forms, need to play with and test them). Getting a fixed one, especially unique form, would be great.

+1 for the idea of a hexagonal reflect wall (utilizing the fortified turrets manner).

For (Toss) Elixir B and (both forms of) Elixir H, I’d want to see a ‘smart’ variant: If the drinker/tosser is in combat, it grants (In case of Toss Elixir Might/Fury/Retaliation/Stability and (In case of Elixir H, tossed or drunk) protection/Regeneration. If the user is out of combat, grant swiftness instead.

That’s my 2-copper on the idea.

in Engineer

Posted by: Elmori.7369

Elmori.7369

I like the idea of more smarter boons rather than random boons.

Interesting how Tornado is going to be once it is a lightning field. But being on Rampage doesn’t really contribute other than a cleaving daze and a knockdown. And nothing else is keeping you alive during those 20 seconds of pure testosterone unlike Necros running Plague. Maybe change Throw Boulder to some shared protection?

SFR Engineer Bozwai

in Engineer

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

I think they were going for some sort of mad inventor feel and with the whole “What does this button do” Asura race I guess that is some of it. Isn’t there some sort of character in Team Fortress 2 (I’ve never played it so I am only recalling a comment from an early video or pre-launch podcast) with a similar bungling image

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Spy – Rather saps all the buttons
Scout – Hits the buttons with a bat, drinks more red bull and heads out for the next STD
Soldier – Screams at buttons until they comply
Demoman – Searches under the console for Whiskey
Sniper – Camps 2 miles away, targets them and waits for the buttons to make the first move
Pyro – Purges all the buttons
Engineer & Medic – They will discuss the concept of buttons without ever pressing them
Heavy – Doesn’t understands the concept of buttons

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

I like the elixers, I just see the f1-4 elixer skills as condi-removal. Plus one of ‘m gives guaranteed stability, another stealth and then there’s the main invulnerability elixer S allowing for some very decent stomping in pvp.

in Engineer

Posted by: Susulemon.3204

Susulemon.3204

This topic has been talked to death, for now it’s good enough that you get a guaranteed effect from elixirs, you know what you are using most of it for.

I think elixirs are in an okay place with the upcoming changes. I think the throw elixir cast times can be a bit faster though. But personal opinions like this rarely get anywhere :p