Engi build - WvW

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Actium.8765

Actium.8765

Hey there Engi community. I was wondering if you guys happen to know if there are any new Engi builds for group comps in WvW. I have checked Metabattle but i’m not sure how reliable that website is.

Character: Acium 80 Guard
Server: Northern Shiverpeaks, Commander
Guild: Legends and Myth [Myth]

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: nihasa.5067

nihasa.5067

Engineer is not that popular in zerg build so don’t expect new builds. You will have to improvise and see how you can adapt or create builds based on your play-style. I have tested metabattle’s builds for wvw and both do seem to provide a good starting point. I don’t think you can go wrong with frontline scrapper and is not that expensive to try.

Nihasa The Engineer [WvW] Seafarer’s Rest [EU]

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: HantuDuppy.8562

HantuDuppy.8562

Engineer is worthless is WvW. I don’t think any devs play engi, they seem to favor necro.

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

Engineer is not that popular in zerg build so don’t expect new builds. You will have to improvise and see how you can adapt or create builds based on your play-style. I have tested metabattle’s builds for wvw and both do seem to provide a good starting point. I don’t think you can go wrong with frontline scrapper and is not that expensive to try.

Basically this.

There just really isn’t any strong benefits to Engineer right now. They have very little “group” power that other classes can simply do better and more.

-Stability? Ours can get reflected, is a small AoE, short duration with 3 stacks and has a cast time. Guardians have 5 stacks, lasts longer, big AoE, is a stunbreak, and instantly casts. Even Mesmers have better group stability and have the ability to double any given.

On the flipside, our same stability skill gives us a ton of boons but not very useful for groups.

-Boons? We barely give any except regeneration maybe. Guardians / Mesmers give a whole bunch.

We can give ourselves a ton of boons, however.

-Water fields? Elementalists can not only heal very well but also grant those boons we were talking about in addition to a lot of auras.

-Condition Clears? Guardians, Mesmers, Eles, a lot of classes have pretty decent group condition clears.

Engineer has an amazing one, but it’s not that much better.

-CC? If you bring the amazing amount of CCs that engineer has you basically lose out on any other benefit of above. Also, your survivalability drops pretty heavily.

-Heals? Not viable enough.

-Damage? All classes can do damage.

-Boon Rip? Practically none, save for throw mine which isn’t a great thing to have on your bar.

-Edit: Stealth? Mmm… engineers do get access to some really nice stealth options but mesmers / druids can do it and provide a lot more.

Here’s the real benefits of engineer that other classes don’t really have easy access to:

-Finishers: we have tons, probably the most in the game. If we could securely blast a water field we’d have the highest burst healing in the game, period. On a long CD, unfortunately.

-Combo Fields: we can potentially have access to almost every single field type in the game, save for Dark fields (we have Water, Light, Fire, Ice, Poison, Smoke, Lightning, and Ethereal). Ironically, Rangers have access to the exact same fields but it’s not viable to really use them.

-We can have both a ton of combo fields and finishers at the same time.

Since we only really need 1 combo field (water) and most people can supply at least 1 blast finisher the need for anything else is really just not there.

Luckily, engineers aren’t completely useless and are pretty great for roaming / small group play.

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: BloodMoonASURA.3564

BloodMoonASURA.3564

I’ve played engineer for 4 years, and Scrapper for entirety of HoT, mainly in GvGs, but had my fair share of roaming, zerging or small scale. Here are some things that I have found out during that time.

1. Engineer was designed to be a jack of all trades. Therefore we do not excel in anything.
2. Because the current optimal builds are very defined, the balance leaves very little for engineers to do. This means that there is almost always a better option for a group.
- If you want heals, take ele, druid or guardian.
- If you want damage, take warrior, or necromancer
- If you need boons or damage mitigation, take revenant or guardian.
3. Guardian is needed for stability. Revenant is needed for resistance and damage mitigation. Elementalists are needed for ranged pressure and AoE control. Warriors and Necromancers are needed for burst damage to kill people through healing and damage mitigation.

Scrapper excels in none of these things. Only thing that sets us apart is our stealth application capabilities. This unfortunately isn’t necessary to beat other zergs on the field, therefore Scrappers usually become a lackluster pick. There will ALWAYS be a better class for the task, when talking about +50 man zergs.

4. Scrapper however works really well with smaller groups. If you are fighting a group of 20 players, you have a lot of space to make plays and move around. Scrapper can adapt to any situation or enemy, because our kits offer insane variety to our kitten nal. Gyros become a lot more useful when fighting smaller groups, because they don’t get cleaved down instantly.

Too often I see engineers using bulwark gyros in zerg, without getting any use of it. The bulwark gets destroyed instantly with all the excess damage floating around. If a warrior hits arcing slice around you, the bulwark will absorb the damage and explode. It’s really inefficient to take an entire utility skill just to negate one arcing slice.

However in smaller groups there is a lot less overall damage, making bulwark for example alot more viable.

Scrappers in general reward good players. The more you understand the game, and the class balance, the more you can achieve on the class.

To sum it up, if you want to play Engineer/Scrapper, small scale fights is the best place to do so. Regarding metabattle, the quickness Scrapper is currently the best build for WvW (someone even linked my youtube to the thread LUL).

Frontline Scrapper on the other hand is the most ridiculous concept I have ever seen. Scrapper does best when played as a backline utility support. If you pick a Scrapper, throw it into a frontline and pretend that you are being useful, you are just a lackluster warrior without CC, and little healing.

If you need help with Engineer (since Scrappers role is a bit obscure, I’ll admit) send me a PM and I’d be glad to help ^^

I Am The Freakshow – Anguish [Ash]
https://www.youtube.com/c/IAmTheFreakshow

(edited by BloodMoonASURA.3564)

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

Melee super speed bot: full nomad, all gyros and final salvo. Spawn gyro, then detonate.

Ranged: Full zerk, mortar kit, grenade kit, throw mine or rocket turret. Use oribital strike, grenade barrage and thunderclap when bomb.

Mid range: Viper grenades and sharpnel.

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

As I see there are 2 scrapper builds that somewhat work in groups:
1) the quickness dps:
Half marauder half zerk hammer with elixir u, s, elixir gun and sneak gyro. Normal inventions alchemy setup with dps traits on scrapper.
2) superspeed boonshare frontline
Marauder with dura and knight trinkets (3000+ armor with 55% crit chance). You basically run superspeed on gyro pop,elixir s, elixir gun, sneak gyro, bulwark/purge gyro. You give superspeed to allies, reflect enemy, stealth commander etc. Your main job is to finish downs and give superspeed on melee push. Normal inventions+alchemy traits

Both builds are suboptimal, high dps and decent support but kinda get redundant the more scrapper there is, as you only need one. Preferably one of each working together as scrappers burst people super easy 2v1

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Mat.3819

Mat.3819

Marauder with dura and knight trinkets (3000+ armor with 55% crit chance). You basically run superspeed on gyro pop,elixir s, elixir gun, sneak gyro, bulwark/purge gyro. You give superspeed to allies, reflect enemy, stealth commander etc. Your main job is to finish downs and give superspeed on melee push. Normal inventions+alchemy traits

Have u got a link for this build?

Mat Blake – HxH Guild
Ring of Fire

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

I’ve played engineer for 4 years, and Scrapper for entirety of HoT, mainly in GvGs, but had my fair share of roaming, zerging or small scale. Here are some things that I have found out during that time.

1. Engineer was designed to be a jack of all trades. Therefore we do not excel in anything.
2. Because the current optimal builds are very defined, the balance leaves very little for engineers to do. This means that there is almost always a better option for a group.
3. Guardian is needed for stability. Revenant is needed for resistance and damage mitigation. Elementalists are needed for ranged pressure and AoE control. Warriors and Necromancers are needed for burst damage to kill people through healing and damage mitigation.

Scrapper excels in none of these things. Only thing that sets us apart is our stealth application capabilities. This unfortunately isn’t necessary to beat other zergs on the field, therefore Scrappers usually become a lackluster pick. There will ALWAYS be a better class for the task, when talking about +50 man zergs.

4. Scrapper however works really well with smaller groups. If you are fighting a group of 20 players, you have a lot of space to make plays and move around. Scrapper can adapt to any situation or enemy, because our kits offer insane variety to our kitten nal. Gyros become a lot more useful when fighting smaller groups, because they don’t get cleaved down instantly.

Too often I see engineers using bulwark gyros in zerg, without getting any use of it. The bulwark gets destroyed instantly with all the excess damage floating around. If a warrior hits arcing slice around you, the bulwark will absorb the damage and explode. It’s really inefficient to take an entire utility skill just to negate one arcing slice.

However in smaller groups there is a lot less overall damage, making bulwark for example alot more viable.

Scrappers in general reward good players. The more you understand the game, and the class balance, the more you can achieve on the class.

To sum it up, if you want to play Engineer/Scrapper, small scale fights is the best place to do so. Regarding metabattle, the quickness Scrapper is currently the best build for WvW (someone even linked my youtube to the thread LUL).

Frontline Scrapper on the other hand is the most ridiculous concept I have ever seen. Scrapper does best when played as a backline utility support. If you pick a Scrapper, throw it into a frontline and pretend that you are being useful, you are just a lackluster warrior without CC, and little healing.

If you need help with Engineer (since Scrappers role is a bit obscure, I’ll admit) send me a PM and I’d be glad to help ^^

The real value in Bulwark is the toolbelt.

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Have u got a link for this build?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASnUUB1XhtbBepCEqilJjKc7Smwi+vr7+W8ZKgAA-T1BFQBsb/hroEEAPAACeBA0n6PqTHQTU+FAAB4m3MAM0hO0hO0h2Nv5Nv5NvZpAycrF-w

Have fun, you can also run medic gyro for more superspeed utility if you feel like you have enough cleanse/heals in the group you’re put in. Hell, sometimes I even run elixir X but its not definitely recommended build for new players. Also you cant duel anyone unless you swap to berserker trinkets.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

(edited by Threather.9354)

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: BloodMoonASURA.3564

BloodMoonASURA.3564

The real value in Bulwark is the toolbelt.

If you truly claim that you need to use one utility slot for low duration reflect, then you are playing with a group that doesn’t use any decent builds. Guardians with M/S, Ele with earth aura, revenant hammer 4, even druids with staff 4 can provide protectile reflection just with their weapon skills. Wasting an utility slot for a reflect is bad. Besides if you really need to negate protectiles, ElixU toolbelt already has you covered, while simultaneously providing you with permanent quickness if you have a proper build.

Not sure if you play on NA or EU, but at least tier 1-3 EU has more than enough reflects. Bulwark is a waste in larger groups. I did play a little bit on NA, and the zergs over there rarely pushed, but I can’t make any claims since I only played on Mag, NSP, SBI and FA, and only a little bit. Maybe more reflects are needed if people are still afraid to push and rely on pirateship.

I Am The Freakshow – Anguish [Ash]
https://www.youtube.com/c/IAmTheFreakshow

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Anthony.7260

Anthony.7260

I have been wvw pvping for a few weeks and my account is fairly new. Here is my experience with my scrapper

I notice engineer is awful in large scale pvp. Super useless. Basically you do nothing and farm free loot with a train. Scrapper is a solo 1v1 spec and a 5 party team spec. All the engineers skills have a 5 player limit they can affect. You’re basically a dueling machine and a party power house

As soon as you become a squad of 6 or more the engineer scrapper is useless.

My gearing advice is to get maruader armor berserker hammer and captain back peice and soldier jewelry. Gem captain or knight on the jewelry.

Get scrapper runes and sigil of air and sigil of force. You can 1v1 just about anyone. Necromancers are the hardests to 1v1 because they have a done of conditions ( death chill build i think)

Go alchemy inventions scrapper and get suffron bread and sharpening stones. Get fury from your own elixir or fury.from someone else. That puts you around 50% or 48% crit chance.

Basically take camps and sentry points and hope for the best

Scrapper for wvw is very lonely and very solo pvp. Necromancer is broken right now but scrapper is like 2nd best in my opinion for foaming.

We do good burst damage and have good cleansings heals damage and cc

I go elixir gun quickness elixir and = either slippery oil or cleansing elixir or elixir s for stability

Yea scrapper is not zerg friendly but 5 man parties and 1v1 scrapper is very strong.

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I notice engineer is awful in large scale pvp. Super useless. Basically you do nothing and farm free loot with a train. Scrapper is a solo 1v1 spec and a 5 party team spec. All the engineers skills have a 5 player limit they can affect. You’re basically a dueling machine and a party power house

“Train” here being the keyword. If thats all your commander care about fights will always be like smacking two hammers against each other until one becomes brittle enough to shatter. The scrapper excel as a flanker in a cloud zerg due to stealth, blocks and invoulns and passive abilites thats very good at anti-dps role (such as gankers around enemy zergs). The more compact train the enemy has the better because then they usually wont care as their tail fail.

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

I’ve posted about this before but we tend to use engineers to create attacks of opportunity. We tend to attack groups and target one at a time unless an opportunity presents itself to bomb a rez clump (generated by the engineer). Engineer using the rifle, took kit, and grenades as key items is used to cover the role we require as it presents very precise control of single targets as well as the ability to cleave a clump. Traits can vary, but we usually at least run tools for more frequent TK pulls.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: scorekeeper.6524

scorekeeper.6524

You’d think engi would be a great group/team buffer class, but we’re not. We are a bruiser type class in a game where its a DPS/Support meta as of right now. I echo the above feelings, that engi/scrapper is better in small engagements rather than large ones. That being said, as a bruiser you’re a sustain-bot, thus any good support ele/druid will just stalemate you, any good dps class will eventually get you (provided you don’t disengage to reset properly).

The devs have hardons for guards, warriors, and necros so don’t expect much to change. However, saying all this I love my engis to bits and would play them over any other class, because to me they’re fun. So it’s really just a personal choice buddy.

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Can I get some feedback on this build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdIQFASnUUBFpi1XBmcBEqilJjKc7SmwS8ZKgAgeur7+G-T1CEQBJStCA8gAg3+DP4ACMQVVcnOiuoE0hKNiwFAgJKDmoSsNDBALgCrqkCIztWA-w

This build is for WvW Solo Roam, and Small Group play. My goal was focusing on Boon up-time, sustain, and outlasting my opponent(s).

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: mcees.1308

mcees.1308

I just started to play Scrapper, because I was bored with any other class in this game and it’s doin actually pretty good in solo roaming and team fights as well, I would say it’s OP. Im using this build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdEQFASnUUBVXhtbBGpCEqilJjS8ZKgAg+vz79Oc7SmwC-T1CEQBP4CAIFlIA4BAEFlQGQJYb0B0QlBwb/B7peh/URhJKNIFggCtA-w

You can go for Commander armor if you want some extra boon duration, im working myself on it.

There is nothing special about scrappers builds, traits are always the same, the important thing is to take some toughness with you.

@up:

It looks fine but I would change Elixir S to Elixir B and Tool Kit to Elixir Gun.

(edited by mcees.1308)

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

There is nothing special about scrappers builds, traits are always the same, the important thing is to take some toughness with you.

Well obviously, since you are all posting pretty much the same build, lol. The meta is real.

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Urgot.9084

Urgot.9084

This Build is still the strongest scrapper builed in my opnion.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUh+sYtWwkLw6FLWGFdeP319YG8ALgYyEAfHA-TFCFABppjg99HA4CA4nSQCeAAWp8DNVEoU9mAAHA/+bAY5lXuyL3yLv8yLvcpAGdrF-w

its for small groups like 2-5 player and best played 1v1 builed if you can handle this with the 3 kits.

-this builed doing insane hybrid dmg.
- insane sustain and you have nice armor(over 3000 ) nice hp pool (22500)
- power is near 2000k and you have condition dmg.
- you can do with tool kit 3 and bomb kit 3 instant 10 stack of confuse.
- you can generate some fire fields give you with hammer 3 or 2 finishers for more hybrid dmg
- you have a stealth with toolbomb and bomb 4 smoke ore finsh with hammer 3
- use tool flamethower skill for burst burn.
- you have over 200% crit dmg your crits hit hard.
- you can replace bombkit with other kit or utlity
- you can replce alchemy for firearms too get more condi dmg and burn duration but cost of sustain.
- hard to master or hard to handle the kits and using the skills correctly

I can just say i played with maro or commanders stats but after i found this combination i win near all 1v1 fights and warriors are no problem anymore they cant handle this hybrid dmg. only big problems are high condi bursts.

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

If you truly claim that you need to use one utility slot for low duration reflect, then you are playing with a group that doesn’t use any decent builds. Guardians with M/S, Ele with earth aura, revenant hammer 4, even druids with staff 4 can provide protectile reflection just with their weapon skills. Wasting an utility slot for a reflect is bad. Besides if you really need to negate protectiles, ElixU toolbelt already has you covered, while simultaneously providing you with permanent quickness if you have a proper build.

Only one of those is a reflect and funnily enough its low duration. If you meant general projectile defense then that would be another thing, but reflect offers just a bit more than absorption

I am a fan of Elixir U and elixirs in general. You can otherwise build heavy projectile defense as your niche. Its a pretty decent secondary priority for a zerg to have similar to many of the other roles Engineer can fulfill like Superspeed.

Fishsticks

(edited by Ghotistyx.6942)

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Samug.6512

Samug.6512

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUh+sYtWwkLw6FLWGFdeP319YG8ALgYyEAfHA-TFCFABppjg99HA4CA4nSQCeAAWp8DNVEoU9mAAHA/+bAY5lXuyL3yLv8yLvcpAGdrF-w

its for small groups like 2-5 player and best played 1v1 builed if you can handle this with the 3 kits.

- you can generate some fire fields give you with hammer 3 or 2 finishers for more hybrid dmg
- you can replce alchemy for firearms too get more condi dmg and burn duration but cost of sustain.

I can just say i played with maro or commanders stats but after i found this combination i win near all 1v1 fights and warriors are no problem anymore they cant handle this hybrid dmg. only big problems are high condi bursts.

Unfortunately WvW is nowadays made of 40% condi necros, 10% hybrid necros, 25% condi mesmers. You do have the F5 ability, but one big cleanse is even close to either Cleanse Gyro and/or Elixir C.

I agree Flamethrower is the way to deal damage, it’s amazing and with Juggernaut trait you can counter warriors very effectively. But if you stumble upon a class with Retaliation (guardian, another engi…) you are doing more harm to yourself than them. Which sucks.

Engi build - WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Urgot.9084

Urgot.9084

Unfortunately WvW is nowadays made of 40% condi necros, 10% hybrid necros, 25% condi mesmers. You do have the F5 ability, but one big cleanse is even close to either Cleanse Gyro and/or Elixir C.

I agree Flamethrower is the way to deal damage, it’s amazing and with Juggernaut trait you can counter warriors very effectively. But if you stumble upon a class with Retaliation (guardian, another engi…) you are doing more harm to yourself than them. Which sucks.

yeah you can replace bomb kit. This kit is situational. and no one can tell me thats 3 utilitys are stronger then 3 kits. You gain 15 skills and if you can handle it its the strongest way to fight with this class. you can outplay some nercos if you use your kits correctly. yeah right guardains are hard matchup but vs scrappers you have more burst dmg to beat them.