Engi's good or bad?

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Acension.9270

Acension.9270

I was thinking of rolling an engi because some people ion my guild were saying they were fun and quite good, but then after reading some stuff on the forums its slightly changing my mind.

So please leve some comments with pro’s and cons or just explaining about the class

Trolls :)

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Acension.9270

any one? please?

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

We’ve got a vocal group of downers on the forums. Yes, the class has bugs, yes, we could use some buffs in some areas. No the class does not suck.

My engineer is my main, I’ve played thief, warrior, and guardian enough to say that I enjoy my engi significantly more. The engineer is a goofy class, and I love it for that quality. I spend most of my time in WvW and I LOVE playing with my engi. I don’t die often, have 0 problem soloing supply camps without kiting.

Imo, the CC abilities of the engineer are one of the biggest strengths of the class. This goes mainly for WvW. If you use ’em right, you can really knock a group of people out of their rotation. In PvE the class is still awesome, I used bombs and the FT leveling up and had a ball.

The engineer is not for everyone, give it a shot you may be pleasantly surprised.

DH Yak’s Bend – Perfect Dark [PD]
Dr Hoppenheimer – Engi / Meowzir – Guard /
Mulcibur Nox – Ele / Mr Directed – Mes

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: JackWest.8974

JackWest.8974

Pros:
- by far most fun class in the game

Cons:
- by far most bugged class in the game
- not by far, but still weakest class in the game due to lowest skills and traits synergy in the game

hope this helps

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Acension.9270

We’ve got a vocal group of downers on the forums. Yes, the class has bugs, yes, we could use some buffs in some areas. No the class does not suck.

My engineer is my main, I’ve played thief, warrior, and guardian enough to say that I enjoy my engi significantly more. The engineer is a goofy class, and I love it for that quality. I spend most of my time in WvW and I LOVE playing with my engi. I don’t die often, have 0 problem soloing supply camps without kiting.

Imo, the CC abilities of the engineer are one of the biggest strengths of the class. This goes mainly for WvW. If you use ’em right, you can really knock a group of people out of their rotation. In PvE the class is still awesome, I used bombs and the FT leveling up and had a ball.

The engineer is not for everyone, give it a shot you may be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks this has actually bumped up my moods in playing an engi

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Or when you roll something like a TANKCAT and can stand in the middle of a wall breach or the lord’s room at SMC without going down in a 30-60 minute fight you’ll feel like Gandalf facing down the Balrog.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: SimpleKingly.5021

SimpleKingly.5021

The people who play the engi class are the people who want a challenge in their MMOs. It can be the funniest class in the game but if your obsessed with being an OP player like a stealth thief or DD ele then I promise you this character isn’t for you. Takes most skill than any other class due to bugs we have to suffer with.

Lowjin is my stripper name ;)
www.Twitch.tv/kreepingg

(edited by SimpleKingly.5021)

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

Always listen to players in-game before players on the message boards, in any game. Players don’t go to the forums to thank the developers and talk about how much they enjoy something; they’re in the game, enjoying the something they enjoy. And often, on a whim, after doing something with the something they enjoy, they’ll say how much they love the something they just did with the something they enjoy.

A video game’s message boards are essentially the 1-star reviews that you look at to get a feel for the negative aspects. You rarely get to see the 5-star comments that praise the positive, here.

The class is always greener on the other side.

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Maullus.1273

Maullus.1273

Good.

There are issues—some of them nontrivial—but Engi is awesome. My only level 80 (by choice, not because I don’t have time to level another character). Over 300 sPvP matches, hours and hours of WvW. Hands-down the most enjoyable class in the game.

Edit:

Players don’t go to the forums to thank the developers and talk about how much they enjoy something; they’re in the game, enjoying the something they enjoy.

Not necessarily true. Some people can access forums when they can’t be in game. Still, you do raise a good point.

Mad Maullix
Tarnished Coast
Panic Time!

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Choops.3710

Choops.3710

Cons: You have to do more than just about every class to achieve the same result they do. This includes traiting weird, not having great damage most of the time, and playing the equivalent of ‘Flight of the Bumblebee’ on your keyboard to pull it all off.

Pros: It turns out that this ^ is ridiculously fun.

Seriously, the first month this game came out I leveled all classes to about 30 to see what they were like and which one I wanted to main. They all got deleted, only the Engi remains. This is also from a PvP standpoint. I’ve picked up other professions mostly just to learn how to counter them, but even while steamrolling people, you get a sneaking feeling in your gut that all those games you’re playing as a mes, thief, war, etc would be infinitely more satisfying if you were running around and doing awesome things like capping a point from someone without even killing them. I’ve been told multiple times in hotjoin that I am the most annoying person to fight they’ve run into, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Roll that Engineer without fear, my friend.

Pikachoops – Engineer, Fort Aspenwood

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Schixeno.8596

Schixeno.8596

Always listen to players in-game before players on the message boards, in any game. Players don’t go to the forums to thank the developers and talk about how much they enjoy something; they’re in the game, enjoying the something they enjoy. And often, on a whim, after doing something with the something they enjoy, they’ll say how much they love the something they just did with the something they enjoy.

A video game’s message boards are essentially the 1-star reviews that you look at to get a feel for the negative aspects. You rarely get to see the 5-star comments that praise the positive, here.

This. The forum is basically the trash bin of the game community. And I’m saying this not just for GW2, but for almost every single game I’ve came across. If you visit any forum of a popular video game (not including Indie games/games with a small cult following like Dwarf Fortress etc.), I can assure you that 80% + will be of people complaining. Of course, some people will provide constructive criticism and point out what really need to be fixed, but most will exaggerate and blow the smallest problems out of proportion and make it seem as if it’s the worst thing in the world.

The good thing is though, the forum usually represents only the part of the player base who dislike the game, which, for GW2 is a considerably small portion. Next time you visit a forum, don’t always listen to others’ opinions all the time and try to decide for yourself.

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Always listen to players in-game before players on the message boards, in any game.

Goodluck finding an Engineer ingame ;D Guild did a forum poll, to see who plays what as their main. 136 votes cast so far and, including myself, the amount playing Engineer can be counted on 1 hand.

This speaks volumes really. Without a doubt Engineer is the least played profession, and do you really think that would be the case if it was good? Or even if its fun-factor outweighted the badness properly?
Truth is, for most people the profession isnt enough fun to outweight the poor performance.

But dont take anyones word here for it, just go play one and you’ll see for yourself if you enjoy it or not.

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Engi is a good profession if you enjoy constantly tweaking your build. Even the smallest changes can have a huge impact on your playstyle There’s a high skill floor (at least for our best builds; we have a couple of gimmick builds that don’t take long to pick up).

A lot of the issues people talk about on the forums are real. Some are exaggerated. There are a ton of bugs to learn to work around, and some things flat-out don’t work at all. Engi has been heavily nerfed, but is still great in PvE and WvW, and pretty good in PvP. Our weakest/least represented areas are high-level fractals and paid tournaments.

The other posters are right—engi really is fun. That’s why we all keep playing them.

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Toolbox.9375

Always listen to players in-game before players on the message boards, in any game.

Goodluck finding an Engineer ingame ;D Guild did a forum poll, to see who plays what as their main. 136 votes cast so far and, including myself, the amount playing Engineer can be counted on 1 hand.

This speaks volumes really. Without a doubt Engineer is the least played profession, and do you really think that would be the case if it was good? Or even if its fun-factor outweighted the badness properly?
Truth is, for most people the profession isnt enough fun to outweight the poor performance.

But dont take anyones word here for it, just go play one and you’ll see for yourself if you enjoy it or not.

I see them constantly! I have to refrain from barking at them like a territorial dog whenever I see one, I like to be the only one using whatever class I’ve chosen in a game. Amazingly enough, I see fewer Thieves than I do Engineers! I think Rangers are the only ones that I see more of than Engineer.

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Last night in WvW I swear I noticed way more engineers than I have in the past.

I second what Choops said about the cons being ridiculously fun. My alts are a mesmer, a thief, and a warrior, all around lvl 20. I have noticed that I tend to get bored playing them, which is why they are still so low level.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Engi is fun occasionally when it works, is it a viable class? no not at all..

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

I see them constantly! I have to refrain from barking at them like a territorial dog whenever I see one, I like to be the only one using whatever class I’ve chosen in a game. Amazingly enough, I see fewer Thieves than I do Engineers! I think Rangers are the only ones that I see more of than Engineer.

Wow. Your server must be odd because I see so few engineers that I have to stop myself from bothering every one I see about their builds. Most I see are flameneers though, I’ve never seen one using bomb kit.

That may be because I do PvE only.

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Toolbox.9375

Wow. Your server must be odd because I see so few engineers that I have to stop myself from bothering every one I see about their builds. Most I see are flameneers though, I’ve never seen one using bomb kit.

That may be because I do PvE only.

I’m on Stormbluff Isles! And I tend to stick to PvE, as well, only occasionally entering WvW, plus I’m almost always on the Bomb Kit. XD

I also rarely ever see Flamethrower! I’ve seen quite a few turret users, and I do tend to bother each and every one of them to ask how it’s working out for them. <.<; I started my Engineer out using turrets exclusively, and I’ll readily admit, that was torture. I gave up on Engineer for a while because the build wasn’t working at all. It was only once I crawled my way to 60, got some nice Cleric gear and runes, and switched all my abilities to Kits, that I started to actually enjoy the class. XD

I’d still love to be able to do a turret build (and I in fact made sure that my Trait allotment would be able to easily switch back to all of the turret abilities), but for now, my plethora of fancy abilities keeps me happy!

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Pros:
- by far most fun class in the game

Cons:
- by far most bugged class in the game
- not by far, but still weakest class in the game due to lowest skills and traits synergy in the game

hope this helps

Good post. It’s not that you can’t play an engineer. It’s just that you will work harder than any other profession and still be inferior to every other profession in whatever you do. That’s the core of what most of the complaints are about.

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

I’m on Stormbluff Isles! And I tend to stick to PvE, as well, only occasionally entering WvW, plus I’m almost always on the Bomb Kit. XD

I also rarely ever see Flamethrower! I’ve seen quite a few turret users, and I do tend to bother each and every one of them to ask how it’s working out for them. <.<; I started my Engineer out using turrets exclusively, and I’ll readily admit, that was torture. I gave up on Engineer for a while because the build wasn’t working at all. It was only once I crawled my way to 60, got some nice Cleric gear and runes, and switched all my abilities to Kits, that I started to actually enjoy the class. XD

I’d still love to be able to do a turret build (and I in fact made sure that my Trait allotment would be able to easily switch back to all of the turret abilities), but for now, my plethora of fancy abilities keeps me happy!

I tried turret builds when I was low level <40 and it worked for a while. I really wish they’d get buffed because trash mobs just destroyed them, not to mention champs. After a while I took all the kits out for a run and fell in love with how maneuverable grenades were. Post grenade-nerf I just decided to buy my cleric’s gear, craft my last ten levels and bask in the bomb heals and combo fields. Have been loving it ever since.

I recently took a break from engineer and was leveling up a guardian because I love doing group utility. I’ve found that the guardian’s skills/class synergies seem to be have a lot more thought put into them and they’re pretty kitten effective at what they do. That being said, last night I took my engineer for a spin and loved every minute of it. The mobility was great and the skills while spamy are really fun. You don’t realize how much freedom you have in your attacks when you can drop a bomb and have it explode a second later, or throw a well placed pack of grenades behind you when you run. I did have to switch elixir gun with a combo breaker, because no way in hell am I getting bashed on the ground after switching from a guardian.

(edited by JohnDied.3476)

Engi's good or bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Good on fun

Bad on power

That’s the takeaway