Engi skill ceiling might be too high

in Engineer

Posted by: Miffinator.3046

Miffinator.3046

I have to say I’ve been playing an engi since launch and I absolutely hate this class. Literally it’s like playing an orchestra on my keyboard having to juggle a minimum of 3 kits. It’s absolutely frustrating and just not fun. I took a break from this game for a bit. Almost a whole year—however I came back hoping that my lvl 80 engi got a rework. Making the class easier to play. NOPE.

I just don’t understand the purpose of this class. We’re kind-of-tanky. We’ve also have to jump between 4 toolbelt abilities, 1 reg wep set, 2 full kit sets, and an escape. I should point out I mainly do WvW. It’s mind-boggling when I play my Warrior how the comparison is—it’s outrageous. The class is just too hard to play. Honestly if this was a viable class there’d be more engis running around. There aren’t, and there’s a reason for that. The reason is L2P just so you can be almost pretty good

I think that in order to make this class work better some minor things can be done to enhance play specifically for WvW. I think honestly there should be some need for Flamethrower in WvW. Almost all builds are built around conditions, and they rotate between Nade/Bomb—Bomb/Engi/Boots. Flamethrower seems so great for WvW because of the Jugg trait, but it’s useless. I’d say add a bigger toughness bonus, or replace the flame wall for a jump.

I just think that accepting the status-quo on this class will only harm it further. I pray for a rework, and hopefully the normalization of this class. Until then I’ll be playing a Warrior/Thief in WvW because they excel in both Zerg and Roaming and are much more forgiving and effective at what they are designed to do.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

The purpose of the class is to absolutely destroy anything and everything if you play it right, and then also be able to run away from anything that Anet balance prevents you from winning against! Obviously there are no words to be had here other than l2p!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in Engineer

Posted by: cudzgaming.9316

cudzgaming.9316

Hello, can anyone recommend a leveling build for engineer please?

in Engineer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

If using 2x kit is too much, there are 1 kit builds (like HgH). They are less flexible than 2x kit builds but it’ll get you more used to eng. After you’re used to that, you can move onto 2x kit, then 3x kit.

I found having a mouse with extra buttons on it for the f-skills to be extremely helpful as well.

The purpose of the class is to absolutely destroy anything and everything if you play it right

Everything has a counter in this game.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in Engineer

Posted by: Nate.8146

Nate.8146

and then also be able to run away from anything that Anet balance prevents you from winning against!

Haha… sooo this. I have 4 alts and I swear by the engineer. It’s awesome being the last man standing, or just trolling around because we can. Watching a dozen guys sit back waiting for reinforcements to take on a tough mob while I run into the fight solo like a boss.

I often take 3-4 month breaks and it usually only takes me about 1 or 2 hours to get back into the groove. If there’s anything that annoys me, it’s that I can’t swap kits fast enough, lol. MOAR SPEED.

in Engineer

Miffinator.3046

Just did a flamethrower build died even faster. I’m just not going to play this class. I think it stinks. That’s my opinion. I’m not going to tout it as fact, but when asked I will say this class sucks =/

in Engineer

ArrDee.2573

Before you come here and cry to us with your thilly claims that the Engi class sux, please attempt to learn it! Obviously you don’t know how to play so Vee Wee recommends watching some top Engi streamers! Vee Wee recommends finding yourself a build! If you don’t know how to play, Vee Wee always recommends using someone else’s build! Good luck and less tears!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!

in Engineer

Posted by: Otaking.4675

Otaking.4675

Just a minor quibble, but you’re not using the term ‘skill ceiling’ correctly.

You mean skill floor…the minimum skill needed to be effective.

Hambows, MM, PU mesmer all have a low skill floor. Full turret engi has a low skill floor. Any engi besides turret, even some hybrid turret builds have a high skill floor.

A skill ceiling is the ultimate measure of the classes potential based on what it can do and who it can win against if played to maximum potential.

A d/d ele in this game has nearly unlimited skill ceiling. It also has a high skill floor.

Interestingly non turret engi has a medium skill ceiling, hambow has a slightly higher one.

Full turret engi along with MM necro and PU mesmer have a low skill ceiling. You cannot play them to much potential over their skill floor.

This is all from an SPVP standpoint.

in Engineer

Posted by: Poliswag.8240

Poliswag.8240

The purpose of the class is to absolutely destroy anything and everything if you play it right, and then also be able to run away from anything that Anet balance prevents you from winning against! Obviously there are no words to be had here other than l2p!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

[IX][oPP] Poliswag – Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Akira.5746

Akira.5746

Thanks to Otaking for clarifying the correct usage of “skill ceiling” and “skill floor”. It applies to the thread.

I’ve been playing Engineer for a few months. I knew the gist of what I was getting into: a jack-of-all-trades with a lot of flexibility that can deal with most everything if you’re familiar with all of your options. Thus far I’ve yet to be disappointed or dissatisfied with the class. I see them plenty on the field, I do well enough in Fractals and WvW, and SPvP for me is more or less guaranteed instant gratification.

Engineer is as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Tool Kit, Elixir Gun Kit, Bomb Kit, and Grenade Kit are all useful and you can choose as many or as few of them as you want.

Want to take your favorite three and show the world your best Mozart impression by mashing cooldowns willy-nilly? You can do that, and assuming one of those kits is Grenade Kit your impression wouldn’t be 100% wrong (just, mostly wrong). Want to be a roaming nightmare in WvW, never truly committed to a fight? Bring some combination of Rocket Boots, Bomb Kit and Elixir Gun Kit and you’ll do plenty fine. Hell, if you don’t want to use kits at all then you dont have to: turret-centric Engineers do… “well”, considering their immunity to conditions in what can be seen as a condition-dominated game.

Engineer in my eyes is a more forgiving Elementalist. You’re innately more survivable, there are easy-mode builds to play if you can’t handle playing the better ones, and Kits don’t involve the same kind of commitment as attunements.

It’s true that Flamethrower Kit is comparatively underwhelming, but 1) the upcoming low-CD blast finisher addition should give it at the very least a niche use, and 2) it’s unreasonable to expect every ability for every class to be competitively viable in all aspects of the game. FT gets some use even now, even if it’s not in the meta.

Honestly, I don’t see the problem. This class is simply “good”. When I look through the Class Balance section of the official forums, chancing upon an Engineer complaint thread is about as common as snow near the equator. It’s rare. Engineers like Engineer, and other classes don’t hate Engineer. GW2’s Engineer is IMO the exemplar of a truly balanced hybrid DPS class. It does everything in a pinch, you can play it however you want and for the most part still be viable, yet despite the aforementioned you’re never involved in anything game-breaking.

My advice to OP, try FT Kit post-patch and if you don’t like it, go for a turret-heavy build. That should be about as simple as you see your Warrior and almost as good.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Every class isn’t for everybody. I know I’ve tried certain classes multiple times that I just can’t get into.

in Engineer

Miffinator.3046

Every class isn’t for everybody. I know I’ve tried certain classes multiple times that I just can’t get into.

I agree. I just deleted my engi. Lvl 80 Charr. Going to level my Warrior now.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Engineer in my eyes is a more forgiving Elementalist. You’re innately more survivable, there are easy-mode builds to play if you can’t handle playing the better ones, and Kits don’t involve the same kind of commitment as attunements.

They survive better in different situations. I find my ele to be substantially easier than my 3x kit eng. Celetial ele has a ton of survival with fewer weaknesses than an eng imo.

With eng kits take up your utilities and you get whatever toolbelt it comes along with. Ele’s get to choose their utilities which can be tailored to whatever composition you’re fighting against (goodluck trying to build to be better against cc/conds and still be viable as eng). Ele is more locked into one ideal range by their weapon choice though.

Attunements not being instant like kits isn’t a big deal since a lot of ele is pretty rotational. Eng is more free flowing, but you need that to be able take advantage of fields (which are more spread out on eng vs ele) etc. to improve weak attacks which means higher apm.

That’s just my 2 coppers though.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Engineer

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Bad call. Why go from piano virtuoso to faceroll troglodyte?

Get a gaming mouse and you don’t even have to use 6-0.

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

That’s for the best. It seems warrior is the class that really suits your playstyle. You can press the buttons in any way you want and still be pretty effective.

in Engineer

Posted by: Uuni.3561

Uuni.3561

Very funny thread!

in Engineer

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

There is a reason why I primarily play a kit engi or a staff ele. Anything else feels underwhelming/boring/simplistic. That said, there is nothing wrong with the other 6 classes, I just don’t like them. Likewise there is nothing wrong with the high engi skill ceiling.

@OP there are 6 other classes for you to choose from that are designed for what you want. Engi’s biggest problem is not skill ceilings, it is hobosacks…

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in Engineer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

/shrugs

I haven’t rolled a warrior but Engineer seems pretty straightforward. Well, I don’t pvp though, but I assume that would be hard regardless of what you picked vs competent opponents.

When I want to relax, I use my engineer instead of guardian in dungeons. Grenade spam closeup is still easier than timing blocks and meleeing directly and grenades pretty much kill everything.

In wvw, it’s mostly the same, except sometimes Elixir S and that elixir gun stunbreak is used when I don’t like the fight and want to leave. The only class that can pursue you is the thief, and thieves are not that hard to fight as an engineer. Well, I guess there are warriors, but those don’t seem to do much when poisoned enough and run out of that stance that negates condis. But I run saffron bread + prot injection so it’s kinda funny when they bonk me on the head and don’t seem to do much.

Engineer’s aren’t that great at zerging wvw I guess, but they’re pretty easy elsewhere. And if that fails just use your low cooldown water sprays.

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve even learned any proper rotations yet. I keep confusing elixir gun 4 and 5, and also fail at setting fire fields with big ol bomb but whatever.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Engineer

Posted by: Gibbilo.3270

Gibbilo.3270

I have to say I’ve been playing an engi since launch and I absolutely hate this class. Literally it’s like playing an orchestra on my keyboard having to juggle a minimum of 3 kits. It’s absolutely frustrating and just not fun. I took a break from this game for a bit. Almost a whole year—however I came back hoping that my lvl 80 engi got a rework. Making the class easier to play. NOPE.

I just don’t understand the purpose of this class. We’re kind-of-tanky. We’ve also have to jump between 4 toolbelt abilities, 1 reg wep set, 2 full kit sets, and an escape. I should point out I mainly do WvW. It’s mind-boggling when I play my Warrior how the comparison is—it’s outrageous. The class is just too hard to play. Honestly if this was a viable class there’d be more engis running around. There aren’t, and there’s a reason for that. The reason is L2P just so you can be almost pretty good

I think that in order to make this class work better some minor things can be done to enhance play specifically for WvW. I think honestly there should be some need for Flamethrower in WvW. Almost all builds are built around conditions, and they rotate between Nade/Bomb—Bomb/Engi/Boots. Flamethrower seems so great for WvW because of the Jugg trait, but it’s useless. I’d say add a bigger toughness bonus, or replace the flame wall for a jump.

I just think that accepting the status-quo on this class will only harm it further. I pray for a rework, and hopefully the normalization of this class. Until then I’ll be playing a Warrior/Thief in WvW because they excel in both Zerg and Roaming and are much more forgiving and effective at what they are designed to do.

I have to say I think you are totally wrong about this one. I think engi is relatively easy to understand and trait for. I think using all of the skills are intuitive. I am never frustrated when I play engi or feel like it is a chore and not fun.

I love that whenever I play that I am bouncing around kits, spraying fire everywhere, launching foes with bombs, flying around with rocket boots, dropping freight on peopls faces, smacking kneecaps with crowbars, pew-pew ing my way with pistols, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Because I am keeping track of so many different things I feel like i have tons of options for every situation and there are so many build combos. Whenever I switch to another class like guardian or thief or warrior I am bored to tears. So boring. They are good, but so 1-dimensional in design imo. They will never have the same level of fun that I experience with the engineer.

Is the skill cap higher than other classes? Yes, compared to some. Do you have to mash some more buttons? Yes. Is it way more fun ??! YES !!

You state that Engi doesn’t have utility in solo-roam or the zerg. As far as the zerg is concerned i definitely think you are wrong here. You can support your allies in so many ways as an engi in the zerg. You can also put out serious damage if you are protected by the zerg and thus afford a high damage build.

As for the solo-roam, your right engi isn’t as good as thief or warrior…. but alot of other classes aren’t either. If the solo roam is what you like to do, then it sounds to me that you are trying to force a round peg into a square hole—hence your frustration. So I agree, don’t play an engi.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

I have to say I think you are totally wrong about this one. I think engi is relatively easy to understand and trait for. I think using all of the skills are intuitive. I am never frustrated when I play engi or feel like it is a chore and not fun.

I love that whenever I play that I am bouncing around kits, spraying fire everywhere, launching foes with bombs, flying around with rocket boots, dropping freight on peopls faces, smacking kneecaps with crowbars, pew-pew ing my way with pistols, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Because I am keeping track of so many different things I feel like i have tons of options for every situation and there are so many build combos. Whenever I switch to another class like guardian or thief or warrior I am bored to tears. So boring. They are good, but so 1-dimensional in design imo. They will never have the same level of fun that I experience with the engineer.

Is the skill cap higher than other classes? Yes, compared to some. Do you have to mash some more buttons? Yes. Is it way more fun ??! YES !!

You state that Engi doesn’t have utility in solo-roam or the zerg. As far as the zerg is concerned i definitely think you are wrong here. You can support your allies in so many ways as an engi in the zerg. You can also put out serious damage if you are protected by the zerg and thus afford a high damage build.

As for the solo-roam, your right engi isn’t as good as thief or warrior…. but alot of other classes aren’t either. If the solo roam is what you like to do, then it sounds to me that you are trying to force a round peg into a square hole—hence your frustration. So I agree, don’t play an engi.

Engi can solo roam tho, You just have to change it up and run a really defensive type of build, But it can work, you can reset for days just like thieves too, so its pretty easy to get away if it isnt going your way.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Engi can solo roam tho, You just have to change it up and run a really defensive type of build, But it can work, you can reset for days just like thieves too, so its pretty easy to get away if it isnt going your way.

This. Engi is so versatile it can be built for many different purposes. Every build has it’s individual strengths and weaknesses.

in Engineer

Posted by: DrOrange.9230

DrOrange.9230

High? Engi skillcap isn’t high. Its a bore snore class

in Engineer

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

I don’t mean to offend anyone, and let me just put it out there that I main an Engi. Now with that said, I really hate how melodramatic people playing Engineer are. There’s nothing even remotely difficult about being able to juggle kits. You’re not special or skillful because you’re able to do it. Yes, the other classes are comparatively easier, but that doesn’t necessarily make our class difficult to play.

It’s not like you even use all the skits on the various kits. I was running a 4 kit Engi in PvP for the longest time and I probably only used 1/3 of the skills I could of used off c/d. Yes, sometimes juggling kits and toolbelt skills can get a little confusing, sometimes you swap to the wrong kit by accident, and sometimes you can’t find your cursor when you’re lobbing grenades. But all that can be solved by a little bit of practice. Not months of practice, maybe a week, if that.

Guild Wars 2 isn’t by any means a difficult game, there’s just way too much passive, un-counterable bs in this game. Sorry folks.

Other classes basically consists of spamming 1, and any skills that are off cooldown. Engineer just has to manage several skills across several utilities. It’s more work if you wan’t to play optimally, but then again, you could always throw on Condi runes and spam grenades, and you’re basically right where the other classes are in terms of difficulty (unless you consider aiming grenades to be difficult). And lets face it, this is at least 50% of Engineers. At least the ones I see.

(edited by Ameno.6813)

in Engineer

Posted by: foxtrot.6902

foxtrot.6902

I love the complexity of engi compared to other jobs and any “rotation” is usually just a rough plan that can change on the dime with the job instead of a procedural button mash.

I don’t think it’s a skill floor issue with the job but just overall it’s incredibly clunky compared to other jobs.

Engi has an insane amount of aimed skills compared to other jobs that just hit a button and it does all the action and takes you to the target. It’d be nice if some engi skills were a little more refined to do similar, instead they’re slow and need to be aimed.

Elixir tool belt skills being aimed is kind of obnoxious since mid fight you have to take a split second to find your mouse, make sure it’s in the right spot, cast time, then toss instead of just button -> yay i have a buff (granted being able to toss to a specific location has it’s perks sometimes).

Many of our toss skills are slow and move about the same speed as someone as swiftness (elixirs, grenades, glue shot etc).

Poison Dart Volley -> misses 1/2 the shots? Ok, thanks if I was concerned with hitting items surrounding my target I’d just get coated bullets and line up.

Bombs while awesome and strong are slow and engi lacks a leap to target gap closer to get in meele range like most other jobs have. It already has a cast time + fuse time on ground.

And static shock from AED is just stupid :p 3/4 sec cast time @ 180 range to stun for 1 second?

I’m not trying to say I want to get rid of aimed items for engi or make it easier/more simple.

Overall I wish the aimed skills were a little more competitive and engi wasn’t as clunky.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Learning an engineer is like learning invoker in dota, it is totally worth it when you do because you feel like a god and you look pro for it because of the way you cycle through skills.

i also lol at the person who says engi isn’t high skill cap and is a bore class when he himself mains a ranger!…. if any class the most boring and low skill cap class, its rangers, even warriors require more skill than them.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Unlike ele attunements kits dont have cooldowns (not saying they should), so its really just about developing the muscle memory to hit two buttons quickly to activate one skill. And if you dont get the hang of it after a few weeks then the class just isnt for you. Plus grenades take a lot of clicking but just because it gives you carpal tunnel syndrome doesnt make it challenging.

The typical grenadier/tool kit build in pvp is probably one of the easier builds to play right now (how incendiary powder didnt get nerfed when dhumfire did il never understand), though its definitely not the easiest.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

in Engineer

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Unlike ele attunements kits dont have cooldowns (not saying they should), so its really just about developing the muscle memory to hit two buttons quickly to activate one skill. And if you dont get the hang of it after a few weeks then the class just isnt for you. Plus grenades take a lot of clicking but just because it gives you carpal tunnel syndrome doesnt make it challenging.

The typical grenadier/tool kit build in pvp is probably one of the easier builds to play right now (how incendiary powder didnt get nerfed when dhumfire did il never understand), though its definitely not the easiest.

It still way more challenging compared most of the builds of other classes. I know alot of people think spamming nades on point takes no skill and all but the fact is grenades are skill shots, and if you opponents are actively moving in and out of points, you will have to really aim your nades which ofc is fine by me but point is grenades takes more skill to use than people give it credit for.

I also don’t understand the hate for incendiary powder either as all classes have some sort of passive annoying traits that can totally undermine any sort of good plays. I can’t tell you how many a time ranger should of have died if it wasnt for his lucky immune procs or how a necromancer with reapers protection turn around a fight without doing anything. Just because engineer also has one does not make them any less skill required.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Wait wait wait … how can a skill ceiling be too high?

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Engineer

Posted by: Caesteris.7529

Caesteris.7529

This is a troll thread right? I mean, how else am I supposed to take a Warrior player posting about Engineer being too hard?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Ah, re-read the OP … he should have said he was talking about skill floor … not skill ceiling.

It seems the OP is unable to reach the skill floor for engineer.

E.B.C.A.K.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Engineer

Posted by: Puffendorf.1694

Puffendorf.1694

I have to say there’s a point to the OP…
Now before you all zergrush me with L2P spam… Actually, just no. Don’t spam.

The class is kitten hard to play compared to any others I tried (Especialy when I can’t settle with anything less then perfect play of a class, and getting to that level on an engineer is… just anyone who pulls it off is pure and simple a superior player to most of us).

This annoys the living hell out of me because I really like the flavor of engie, the animations, the mechanics and all that, but it frustrates me to no end that I can’t seem to get that perfect play out of it, and even if I want that average play I have to work extra hard for it.

Would I like to see engies become an easier class to play? Well no… Because that’d probably make them much weaker and… more dull…

Playing an engie and getting every bit of power out of the class is pure chaos. It’s fun for some but it’s horrid to others. It kinda annoys me when I just want some engineer feel or some flamethrower fun out of the class but I end up trying to juggle 3kits for the 100th time because it’s just way too good to pass up on.

Is there a point to the post? No, not really, I just got frustrated with my engineer again and wanted to vent some of that frustration. On the plus side; someone might get a chuckle out of my post.

in Engineer

Posted by: Elegy.2159

Elegy.2159

Learning to play engineer is like learning to play guitar. Before you even know anything you have an idea of what it can do, but you can’t get your fingers to do it right. So you can attempt to play that barre chord or Ebdim7, and you’ve read how to do it and heard it done right, but you still sound awful. And you can complain about it (in fact, all guitar students complain about barre chords in the beginning, trust me) but that won’t help. Only practice will help. So you practice basic things until they’re easy, and keep moving up to more difficult things. And eventually you can play Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce like it’s nothing. And at that point you’ll be in the position where you’re the one listening to someone say “but F chords are so hard!” and kinda laughing to yourself about it.

All I’m getting at is that I’ve been there. If you really love playing engineer, keep at it and it’ll get better. My main is engineer, but I play a fair bit of warrior and elementalist too. Elementalist is similar in a lot of ways, but warrior isn’t. If I haven’t touched my warrior in weeks and finally play it again, it feels so weird. It’s easy to the point that I overcomplicate it and play warrior worse than I play engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

The purpose of the class is to absolutely destroy anything and everything if you play it right, and then also be able to run away from anything that Anet balance prevents you from winning against!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Would be funny…if it wasn’t close to true ;-)

(edited by Kicast.1459)

in Engineer

Posted by: Father Busho.2796

Father Busho.2796

OP I have to say I disagree completely. I do agree however that certain builds can be outperformed by simply rolling another class which requires a lot less “work”.
As some others have stated, you do not have a problem with the skill ceiling but rather the skill floor. As Elegy has said, it is like playing guitar, at the start you will have to look at your fingers and kitten up a lot, until you get it in your blood, at which point the immense pleasure from more complex rotations (other classes might incorrectly call this “skill spam”) begins.

Try rolling the kittened celestial rifle meta build, it’s a nicely working build with a lot of sustain even for lower skilled players since the amulet carries you.

Band Of Royal Daggers [BORD]
Aurora Glade
ALL IS VAIN :(

in Engineer

Posted by: Royale.5863

Royale.5863

It took me a very long time to get used to the skill rotations. Knowing what was off CD and knowing exactly what was still available to me at any given moment. It takes time and practice and familiarity. The OP strikes me as someone who read a build guide, didnt play it well, then tried another. You need to stick to a few certain kits and learn from there.

in Engineer

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Wahoo! Bye frands!

A bunch of people hit rank 80 simultaneously when they did the PvP glory update… You really shouldn’t be claiming that you’re the first.

in Engineer

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, retired #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Don’t be so offtopic my frand! This is a thread about someone incapable of playing this class, not about Vee Wee!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!

in Engineer

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

The only thing that bothers me about engi compared to other classes is PvE.
Engi dps rotations are harder than any other class i’ve played and they’re still not as effective than other classes.

I think if a class has a higher skill cap they should at least be able to keep up with other classes if u know how to play them.

PvP & WvW wise, Engi is great. They just need more of a buff in PvE imo.

in Engineer

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

@OP: You can’t be an effective Engineer without being an Asura and without having Scarlet’s Kiss. It’s not da skillz, it’s da kittenz and da lookz.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

@glenndevis
Welp, considering that a-net resists against balancing for each game-mode separately, a dps buff, with all the mobility and versatility going for the engi already, would be a nail to the coffin for class-balancing in pvp / wvw.

On the other hand, PvE dps does not really matter unless you have a clock ticking on your desk, each time you enter a dungeon. For me, f.e., it’s just a daily gold-grind I don’t spend too much thought into, so I don’t mind having slightly lower numbers on my screen than – say – ele or thief. And with all the utility we bring, we are definitively not in a bad spot when it comes to consider your group-composition for dungeons or fractals, so yea, no real need for a dps-buff from my POV.

Ofc, new skills and traits are always welcomed, and there is quite a lot of bug-fixing to do, still. Considering that, I guess there are more urgent tasks to accomplish than plainly boosting our dps-output for no real reason.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

@glenndevis
Welp, considering that a-net resists against balancing for each game-mode separately, a dps buff, with all the mobility and versatility going for the engi already, would be a nail to the coffin for class-balancing in pvp / wvw.

On the other hand, PvE dps does not really matter unless you have a clock ticking on your desk, each time you enter a dungeon. For me, f.e., it’s just a daily gold-grind I don’t spend too much thought into, so I don’t mind having slightly lower numbers on my screen than – say – ele or thief. And with all the utility we bring, we are definitively not in a bad spot when it comes to consider your group-composition for dungeons or fractals, so yea, no real need for a dps-buff from my POV.

Ofc, new skills and traits are always welcomed, and there is quite a lot of bug-fixing to do, still. Considering that, I guess there are more urgent tasks to accomplish than plainly boosting our dps-output for no real reason.

Hell yes, Engi’s probably have the most buggy skills in the game because of their unique nature.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in Engineer

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

I’m just going to nit-pick here, but i think you mean the skill FLOOR, not ceiling. The ceiling being too high would mean that even the best players in teh world wouldnt be able to play the class to its potential.

However, the skill floor being too high – would mean that it’s too hard to play the class effectively unless you’re very good with it.
#IKindaPayedAttentionInEcon

in Engineer

Posted by: Peutrifectus.4830

Peutrifectus.4830

Hello frands! Deschain Munroe here, current # 6,059,343rd Engi NA and 5,962,842nd rank 80!

(Sorry VeeWee, couldn’t resist)

I’ve only played since July last year but Engi was my 1st and pretty much only because every time I play another class, I find it difficult “dumbing down”. I just cut the black lion key and delete!

(edited by Peutrifectus.4830)

in Engineer

Posted by: Theologus.7085

Theologus.7085

Engineer skill floor not so high, because engi have best customisation of skills in game. You can take 4 kits and be a Mozart, but you can take dual pistols, 3 elixirs and HGH – and still be effective with only one weapon set.
Unlike ele, engi can be so hard to play, as he want. Jack of all trades in skills, build and playstyle.

Sorry for my english, guys. I try.