Engineer 2017, is it worth to play ?

in Engineer

Posted by: irma.3518

irma.3518

I didn’t play engineer years; because at every patch, it was getting nerfed non-stop. I plan to return to game but I want to ask this.

I remember a time that engineers were not wanted in dungeons and raids in pve; because of the nerfs, the engineer was became useless and do low damage. For pvp, it was not so good comparing to other classes long time ago as I remember again. So, I was left the game long time ago.

Is it still fun to play engineer and how is engineer effective in pve and pvp in 2017 ?

The returned players like me can survive in current game or no point to come back to play guild wars 2 at all ?

in Engineer

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

Fun? That’s arguable.

Desired in endgame content? Generally most raids won’t turn down a competent engi, but you’ll get a very swift boot if it’s obvious you don’t know what you’re doing (a bad necro is better than a bad engi).

• Our gameplay in PvE hasn’t changed in years. Core engineer is generally more potent, but the same unintuitive trait design. We are considered “top tier” DPS if you know how to rotate properly, but it’s a boring playstyle where you’re basically playing the piano.
  • PvP scrapper is at least interesting. It’s mostly a power tank, but quite good for teamfights.
The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

in Engineer

Posted by: nomak.8693

nomak.8693

…but it’s a boring playstyle where you’re basically playing the piano.

so piano is boring? That isn’t then? Pressing 1,2 or 3 buttons and reaching maximum DPS? because for me …that’s boring.
Other than that I agree with everything else.
Play the engi OP. The class is worth playing in 2017. The condi build is pretty strong.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ivantreil.3092

Ivantreil.3092

You dont even need to play like piano, someone figured out a clean way to pull out the condi rotation:

PvP Rifle Engi player no matter how dark the meta is.

Metabattle: Drunk Engineer build

in Engineer

Posted by: LilBiM.3581

LilBiM.3581

To be honest, I would recommend that you not main Engineer. There isn’t much of a direction or a prayer for the Engineer at this point in time.

Just play it on the side if you care to. Given its track record since HoT, it’ll only get worst.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

all professions are fun

compared to other professions engineer is rubbish though

in Engineer

Posted by: asuitandty.8526

asuitandty.8526

It’s a matter of taste. The class itself is well designed. Play it and see if you like it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

Wtf is everyone here saying.
Engineer is very much wanted in endgame cause +150 condition damage buff. It also has a lot of utility and adaptability, but you can’t be a complete scrub, like you can be on a condi ranger.

And especially don’t listen to these salty engi mains saying that it will only get nerfs.

in Engineer

Vagrant.7206

And especially don’t listen to these salty engi mains saying that it will only get nerfs.

You do realize the OP experienced many of these early nerfs? And we’re warning him that it’s still happening?

in Engineer

Posted by: scorekeeper.6524

scorekeeper.6524

Engineer is very much wanted in endgame cause +150 condition damage buff.

I disagree, but say you’re right for a moment- what does it say about a class and its capabilities if all it is good for is a +150 buff?

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

Doesn’t qtfy benchmarks put Engineer as the second highest DPS against small targets?
Less than 1K DPS below condition daredevil.

Benchmarks are here: http://qtfy.eu/benchmarks/

I play Engineer in everything, pretty much. In fractals it is amazing thanks to blinds and solid damage, in raids they are great as DPS in any line-up, in PvP the meta scrapper build works just fine. In WvW we are slightly lacking in some areas but balance there is kind of a crap-shoot anyways.

The problem with engineer is that their playstyle has been stagnant since HoT released. There has been little overall variation in anything. If you haven’t played in >1 year then this shouldn’t matter, but for us experienced engineers it is kind of frustrating.

in Engineer

Vagrant.7206

Doesn’t qtfy benchmarks put Engineer as the second highest DPS against small targets?

IMO, most of the benchmarks are pretty stupid given that they assume absolute perfect timing and placement. Reality is much messier, and the engineer has the single most complicated rotation. It can be simplified of course, but that still also assumes the enemy is standing still (which is exceptionally rare)

The problem with engineer is that their playstyle has been stagnant since HoT released. There has been little overall variation in anything. If you haven’t played in >1 year then this shouldn’t matter, but for us experienced engineers it is kind of frustrating.

Since before HoT released? Hell, the PvE playstyle was stagnant long before that! The only difference HoT made was making us all trade in our handy dandy rifles for hammers.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

I don’t entirely agree that it has always been stagnant before HoT, though the class did have a plethora of glaring issues (some of which still exist today, like the RNG on Elixir X).

In PvE before HoT it wasn’t as bad, in the sense we went from non-viability for a LONG time to pure grenades → 3kit rifle with the first of the piano rotations → 3-kit power OR 3-kit condi (both were pretty good right before HoT dropped).

PvP we went from non-viability → 100nades → P/S condi → cele rifle → soldier rifle. Far more unique states than since HoT dropped. That was since 2012, so over a period of ~3 years, but most of the above happened in the latter portion of the timeline. The great part was that P/S condi was still definitely decent in PvP, even though soldier rifle was better.

Once HoT dropped, in PvE we have had pure condi and in PvP we have been bunker hammer and nothing else (a period of ~2 years now).

Stagnation has always been a problem in GW2, but for the Engineer class we have been in the longest period of time where our main builds have had little variation, unless we include when GW2 first launched but I find it hard to complain about that part of GW2’s existence because most players didn’t know how what to optimize for any class, really.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ivantreil.3092

Ivantreil.3092

IMO, most of the benchmarks are pretty stupid given that they assume absolute perfect timing and placement. Reality is much messier, and the engineer has the single most complicated rotation. It can be simplified of course, but that still also assumes the enemy is standing still (which is exceptionally rare)

Since before HoT released? Hell, the PvE playstyle was stagnant long before that! The only difference HoT made was making us all trade in our handy dandy rifles for hammers.

Yeah, we passed from rifle and 4 kits to pistols and 4 kits… wow…

PvP Rifle Engi player no matter how dark the meta is.

Metabattle: Drunk Engineer build

in Engineer

Posted by: Tryhard Pants.9745

Tryhard Pants.9745

For PvE scrapper is a huge disappointment and not good for fractals and raids. It’s the only elite spec that is not really used in fracs/raids.

condi p/p and power rifle are good if you can get the rotation down but to me it just feels awkward to play compared to the other classes.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It’s a matter of taste. The class itself is well designed. Play it and see if you like it.

Really it’s not it’s gotta terrible unintuitive trait design that needs serious work.

I’ve played it since beta, the balance team really needs to spend serious time on this class.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Menders Engi is only the best 1v1 build in pvp. So yeah, it’s worth playing.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Engineer

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

Its worth playing I think most ppl are simply disappointed with scrapper In the sense of how insanely strong it was at the start of HoT and actually used in pve and pvp. Then it received nerfs, possibly the most nerfs of any HoT specialization and ended up seeing next to no use in Pve namely raids while in Pvp it remained pretty much exactly the same even with the nerfs so it ended up just being less fun.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anthony.7630

Anthony.7630

Engineer is fine. Most of their (builds) are not meta but engineers are very very powerful in pvp.

In pve we have condition spam with nadea bombs flame thrower and pistols.

I usually use just pistols and nades and thorns runes to do strong poisons dps. I feel poisons is most of my dps from nades and poison darts. I don’t do top dps but in fractals i do fine. In raids i think engineers rotation and skill cap is too huge.

In pvp OMG i have so many fun kittened builds. Tool kit spells are so strong they are flying under the radar as OP

Scrapper is fine. Support charater not a carry solo character. Good damage good boons water fields. Not meta but still good

Engineers take a of thoery crafting and trial and error. I have 3 sets of armor i am working on. A support heals and a scrapper and a condition assassin. I also have a bleed 1 shot rifle build. And for conquest i use a static discharge cc spamming paladin rifle tool engineer.

Really engineer is secretly strong just people don’t know how to build them and play them properly.

I know that i can barely beat necros and theifs because they are tuned too high but everything else is easy.