Engineer Build.

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eragon.8234

Eragon.8234

Okay I have been working toward viper’s gear for my engi so I can use it in fractals. Now that the toughness levels have been lowered, I want to go back to power engi… should I use the Bomb SD build, or should I use the meta scrapper build? And can you also please link both builds? Thank You.

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Wahoo!

Will do shortly – have to do some stuff, after that I’ll give you a nice post

Greez!

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Ok now Heya!

Going back to power Engi is probably also what I am gonna do. Equally strong as condi vs bosses but better against trash mobs. Power also suffers less from swapping out utilities than condi, so you’re free to use for example the Elixier Gun wich is fantastic in fotm.

These are the core builds I suggest you to use:

Power Scrapper

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlUUhSsYfWwdLQ7FLvF14acjZBYH+hp13DOhBAA-ThRBABUq+zDXAAAeAA4pD4q9HlfmpEkUACMGA-e

Power Engi

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoClYh9ZB2UB0ehl3i67BnwAg+4D+kHsD/w0C-ThRBABLcBAMTJIe6Aua/R5Hlq/AwDAgUACMGA-e

Vanilla Engi deals more damage due to the Tools traitline, but there are quite a lot of situations where Scrapper easily outshines with its useful skills. Hammer stun into dazes, Sneak Gyro, Bulwark Gyro, to mention the main ones.

Sigils

In Raids you see Force and Air to be used. However Air is pure single target damage and makes literally no difference to having no sigil at all if you fight trash, wich is basicly 90% of each fractal.

Bloodlust on the other hand becomes quickly powerful and is a great sigil to use in almost every fractal. If you struggle against bosses, Energy can also be used.

Utilities

As for the Utilities, don’t hesitate to swap out to adapt to your situations. Yet always keep the Bomb Kit since it’s your main source of damage.

The Grenade Kit is the second highest dps kit you have. If you have Static Discharge traited, Surprise Shot (Rifle Turret) is approximately the same dps increase, but easier to use, yet only single target (Surprise Shot is single target, Static Discharge bounces).

Mentionable Utilities

The Elixier Gun is one of the best allrounder utilities we have. Strong aoe damage, plenty of condi cleanse, stun break, small heal, blast finisher.

Mine and it’s toolbelt Minefield are both able to strip boons wich may be handy in specific areas. The Mine is also unblockable and is able to break the defiance bar during channeled blocks like the Drege or Ooze. The Minefield is also a dps increase over the bomb aa and compareable to Grenade Barrage.

Elixier U and Bulwark Gyro have great uses as reflect skills. Aslong as you don’t use Elixier U directly you can swap it out after used. The Bulwark Gyro can be used though. If you want to swap it out, just untrait scrapper and it’s gone from your bar! ;D

The Rocket Turret has a toolbelt skill that deals massive damage, the same as a Big’Ol’Bom. The turret itself can be placed, overcharged, launches a rocket with a 3s knockdown (tooltip is wrong) on a large aoe (really large), and if you blow the turret up you have a knockback that deals another 150 defiance bar damage. This is our strongest cc per utility slot we’ve got.

The Tool Kit has dps increases with Pry Bar and Throw Wrench but truly shines with a long lasting block and an ublockable pull. Quite useful in specific areas like for example against the golems of Frizz.

In general try to find uses for all skills, like while skipping you could swap to Exlixier S just for the toolbelt and then swap back. Find niches and use your abilites! I frequently also use Blast Gyro or Flame Turret, there’s a time and place for everything!

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Wahoo and greez!
- Ziggy

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

(edited by Xyonon.3987)

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Eragon.8234

Oh man, This is great, thank you. I am probably going to go with Power Engi, with Force and Bloodlust. I do have one question, I will keep bombs, but should I use nades with egun, nades with rifle turret, or rifle turret with egun? I read somewhere that the best utilities to use with this build was bombs/nades/rifle turret, but i’m thinking I will like to use egun, especially with that extra small heal from the toolbelt skill, with that sd trigger, and that extra blast with egun 4, which also does a pretty hefty amount of damage.
If I have any more questions, I will ask, thank you.

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

There’s a pic in the attachments that shows you all damage numbers including cast times for every skill (Power Scrapper, can be adapted to Power Engi, will update on next big balance patch).

They are done for Raids so the dps on the right includes Quickness. Quickness however isn’t essentially 100% up in fotm, especially if you fight many small fights. There are skills like Jump Shot or Acid Bomb (EG) that are unaffected by Quickness and therefore are stronger in the list if you wouldn’t have Quickness to begin with.

Rifle Turret is the best for pure damage on a single target. The EG is basicly the same thing just as AoE. The EG also provides plenty of good utility besides the damage. Fumigate cleanses all condis from other players, Super Elixier heals and cleanses a condition from everyone, and the toolbelt is a minor heal but also a stunbreak.

If you don’t want to swap too much, or rather stick to a core build, I’d go with Nades, Bombs and EG.

Attachments:

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Eragon.8234

Awesome, you have been a HUGE help. Thank you again a million times over.

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Happy to help You can always pm me if you got questions.

Gl hf! Wahoo!

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

I know there is no “set” rotation for Engi but can you walk me through a typical fight with say VG? Sorta like what you would open with and then go from there.
Granted, things are always changing and we need to adapt as needed but just curious as to a general feel for what skills and such. Kinda wondering if I am doing everything right, or as close to right as I can get.
Cheers!

Oh, and not the whole dang fight of course, just the basics and that.

(edited by Joxer.6024)

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Joxer.6024

Gl hf! Wahoo!

You NA or EU?

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

I know there is no “set” rotation for Engi but can you walk me through a typical fight with say VG? Sorta like what you would open with and then go from there.
Granted, things are always changing and we need to adapt as needed but just curious as to a general feel for what skills and such. Kinda wondering if I am doing everything right, or as close to right as I can get.
Cheers!

Oh, and not the whole dang fight of course, just the basics and that.

First you can decide to start like everyone else and engage the enemy, or you can do a tryhard setup where you use Med Pack Drop, Supply Crate and Mine Field on the tanks position, then swap to the Flame Thrower and use Incendiary Ammo and then swap to the skills you want to have during the fight. You can swap Supply Crate to Mortar without killing the turrets, swapping back however puts it on a cd when the turrets are down.

But now for the fight. I assume power Engi/Scrapper for now, since this was the idea of the OP, ok? If you want condi too, just ask for it

First you should know where you will fight. Are you on green field duty or can you go full dps on melee?

I personally pick Engineer with rifle on melee, where you can completly focus on dps, and Scrapper with hammer on green field duty, since you can use gyros for super speed then. Faster movement = more damage, even though you personally will not win much since you lose a dps traitline, the others sure will.

In both cases, you will achieve the max dps while using all the skills that deal more damage than the aa as often as possible. However you will immediately lose dps if you interrupt your auto attack, or at least not gain much dps, depending on the skill used.

For example the bomb auto hit will deal around ~27k dps on Vale Guardian itself, due to its low armor. This is the result of the ~15k hits every 0.56s.
If you now want to cast a dps increasing skill like Big’Ol’Bomb wich deals ~32k damage in 0.56s, it would only be a 17k damage increase within the same time if you cast it withtout interrupting the bomb auto hit.
If you’d cast it in the middle of the bomb cast animation (50%) then you’d require 0.56s+50%=0.84s for those 32k damage, wich is equal to 27k → 5k damage lost in 0.56s.

So how can you prevent that from happening? By using skills you cannot interrupt (none auto attacks) after each other.
If you do "auto attack, other skill (dps increase), aa, os, aa, aa, os, aa, aa, and so on, you will have a much higher chance to interrupt an auto attack than when you do os, os, os, aa, aa, aa and so on.

So what I do are two major things:

• I try to chain as many skills that aren’t auto attacks after each other, so they cannot interrupt each other. Defensive / reactive skills yet still have a priority, like pistol #3, hammer #4, rifle #4 or heal skills in general, and are able to interrupt any skill.
  • I never swap to another kit just for one skill, since you are unable to swap back to the bomb kit in time to continue auto attacking (1s cd on bomb kit swap), unless you have alacrity, therefore waiting even 0.5s is already a bomb that could have dealt 11-15k damage.

Besides that I obviously use nade / mortar (more range) auto hit when inside of green fields And protection to reduce the damage it deals

Gl hf! Wahoo!

You NA or EU?

EU, but pm works globally

Engineer Build.

in Engineer

Joxer.6024

Awesome, you have been a HUGE help. Thank you again a million times over.

Bump!!!

And thanks!