Engineer Build/Gear Questions (PvE)

in Engineer

Posted by: JonShade.4392

JonShade.4392

Hello, this is my first time posting here, but i’ve been reading the forums for quite some time and, well, I have a sort of problem.
Long post ahead.
My main character is a Charr Engineer and I seek some guidance from fellow engineer players. Since I reached lv80 I’ve been looking into various builds, but none of them seemed to suit my playstyle. I tried condition, grenades, bombs, but in the end I decided the Flamethrower was the weapon that suit my playstyle the “best”. Thing is, the more I kept reading into the numerous FT builds around, the more confused I got. Many builds advocate the use of berserker equipment, others say Knight, some even say to use Rabid or Carrion (and any combination of those). Some focus on certain aspects, like stacking vulnerability and dealing high crits and +% dmg, others on conditions.
Asking in-game got me nowhere, when it comes to equipment, everyone tells me to use berserker’s. Dealing high-damage and being at risk of dieing to the first attack I fail to dodge (which happens a lot due to my usual latency, random spikes, relatively old computer, simple lack of foresight or sheer bad luck) is not what I have in mind at all.
I chose the FT because Juggernaut adds to my survivability while also aiding my power, and that’s what I’m looking for. FT is my base weapon already; I use a Pistol/Shield setup, but I rarely ever fire a shot. As soon as there’s the possibility of combat, first thing I do is pull out the FT automatically. Bottom line is, I’m looking for a sort of tanky FT build and gear recommendations.
Keep in mind this is for PvE (If it ends up working in WvW as well I won’t complain).
As for my current setup it goes like this:

1. My current skillbar is comprised of Medkit | Elixir B | EG | FT | Supply Drop. I use Elixir B at the start of combat, pop EG momentarily for Super Elixir every now and then to remove conditions or heal while kiting a mob, and keep hitting with the FT. Medkit for heals when necessary.
Should I change anything here? Use other Elixirs, other Kits? Should I use the actual Pistol/Shield along with this or swapping to a Rifle or P/P setup would benefit more?

2. Traits… I used to run 10/30/10/20/0, but changed to 10/30/0/30/0 with:
Incendiary Powder, Precise Sights, Fireforged Trigger, Juggernaut, Self-Regulating Defenses (I’ve been saved by that one more than I’d like to admit), Deadly Mixture and Backpack Regenerator.
Gained a bit more vitality as conditions were giving me a hard time. I’ve been using it, but I still feel I’m lacking either in health (with about 18k) or toughness (or actual ability to play it). I do run with ~50% crit chance for a good chance at the crit Vulnerability.
Is 50% crit too much/too little? Is there another Trait setup I should use? Is there a certain amount of Vitality/Toughness I should aim for? I know the whole 1:10 Def/Health, but wouldn’t I lose a lot of Power or Precision with that? (my apologies, but i’m quite bad at math… also seems there’s gonna be trait changes in the future, might have to rethink it all again later :/ )

3. Lastly, well, I suppose Runes and Sigils would be what I need. I’ve been thinking about Hoelbrak/Strength/ect to keep Might up, but some suggest Monk, Water and even Altruism runes. I tried Forge runes to help with the “tankiness”, but decided it wouldn’t work without a reliable Protection source. As for Sigils I thought about Sigil of Battle so I could switch out of the kit for a second, proc the might, then go back into the kit and repeat once the cd period was over, but never got around to actually try it.
These are probably a lot of questions and I may come off as a noob or something, but I really don’t know where to go from here. I might just end up changing my playstyle and join the herd of zerker builds, something I’d really like to avoid :/
Overall, what are your suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Hey man relax! Berserker isn’t the only viable build. I admit i went this route step by step because I love the risk of battle, the game is more challenging and it forced me to learned to stay alive (to dose my healing skills and endurance the best I can). But until then I played a Knight Set with flamethrower and I did very well. Maybe 30% less damage but I was rarely knocked down.

So my advice to you is to make a combination of Knight (toughness) and Berserker (Crit Damage). Your crit chance will be high since both items give Precision.

If you feel you don’t get enough healing, get Omnoberry Pie’s. They steal life on crit damage.

So in stead of responding step by step to your points, I will link you to a fellow engineer that also uses the Flamethrower.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/PvE-A-Guide-to-the-FT-EG-Build/first#post2178254

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

I second taking the middle road.
You say you use pistol/shield but never actually use them. If you go knight/berserker may I suggest taking the rifle instead.
Once youv gained some mights from jugg, you can flame blast/detonate then switch to the rifle, to blunderbuss, and Overcharge shot. then stand up and net shot followed up near instantly with jump shot to get back in range (net shot so your jump doesnt miss) switch to flame for another flame blast/detonate seeing as the cooldown will be up after you go through all your rifle skills. This combo line will deal massive damage. Much more than just Flamethrowering while your waiting on your flameblast cooldown. And should help you overcome not going full berserker gear.

Tho iv only ever done it to NPCs, I have no idea how effective it would be against WvW players.

in Engineer

JonShade.4392

Hey man relax! Berserker isn’t the only viable build. I admit i went this route step by step because I love the risk of battle, the game is more challenging and it forced me to learned to stay alive (to dose my healing skills and endurance the best I can). But until then I played a Knight Set with flamethrower and I did very well. Maybe 30% less damage but I was rarely knocked down.

So my advice to you is to make a combination of Knight (toughness) and Berserker (Crit Damage). Your crit chance will be high since both items give Precision.

If you feel you don’t get enough healing, get Omnoberry Pie’s. They steal life on crit damage.

So in stead of responding step by step to your points, I will link you to a fellow engineer that also uses the Flamethrower.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/PvE-A-Guide-to-the-FT-EG-Build/first#post2178254

Thanks for the replies.
I’d do that as well, the problem is that I learned my dodges are usually unreliable due to my latency.
About the Knight/Berserker, wouldn’t I need Vitality as well? It’s always been a tough point for me to understand, wether vitality or toughness would scale better. There’s always Valkyrie for Vit/crit dmg, but i never tried that.
As for that build, I remember reading it, it’s still a berserker build, but they do pick on certain trait choices I hadn’t noticed at first. 10 in Explosives for the Incendiary Powder for a measly 4sec burn on ONE enemy with a 10 sec cooldown seems rather weak… Should those points be better spent on Tools? I’d get a better cooldown on Bandadge Self and add 10% crit dmg. Just don’t know if it’d compensate for the 100 pow/10% condition duration.
Then we have the Alchemy trait line, would I be better served with HGH/Fast-Acting Elixirs as opposed to Backpack Regenerator? Players don’t seem to go for it very often.
The Rifle idea seems interesting, maybe I should try it since i’m fighting close-up anyway.
Keep them coming please, hopefully this might help others with similar issues as well,
and thanks once again.

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

Consider this:
Toughness: better resistance vs direct damage
Vitality: better resistance vs conditions

If you have a big latency why not go PVT + the classic Might stacking? It works well in dungeons. With alchemy you have better FT damage and easy condition removal.

Here is the build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqelspSXHwSrF17IBoHAuu3V0jH34J/pAbB-jQyAYrASWApCAJwioxW5CbpLaVwgorxUuER1BBUO-e

Tell me what you think.

in Engineer

JonShade.4392

Consider this:

If you have a big latency why not go PVT + the classic Might stacking? It works well in dungeons. With alchemy you have better FT damage and easy condition removal.

Here is the build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqelspSXHwSrF17IBoHAuu3V0jH34J/pAbB-jQyAYrASWApCAJwioxW5CbpLaVwgorxUuER1BBUO-e

Tell me what you think.

I’ve seen a similar build somewhere. Seems interesting.
Would using a rifle with sigil of battle help this build? I’m not sure how the might would stack when proccing the sigil though, because it’d mean switching out of the FT and losing 1-2 secs of the Juggernaut’s might every 3 secs bonus.
It’s an idea to consider.

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

Consider this:

Here is the build:

Tell me what you think.

I’ve seen a similar build somewhere. Seems interesting.
Would using a rifle with sigil of battle help this build? I’m not sure how the might would stack when proccing the sigil though, because it’d mean switching out of the FT and losing 1-2 secs of the Juggernaut’s might every 3 secs bonus.
It’s an idea to consider.

The point is to stay on Flamethrower all the time, not rifle. So if you get a pistol + shield you would have more stats and 2 signets. You can use the pistol to apply poison on tougher monsters, this prevent them from healing, then you quickly change to Flamethrower and continue. With Might stacking runes it won’t be gone so quickly.

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

when i was FT build, i went knights chest, legs, and headgear, and then went berserker boots, gloves, shoulders. then i used knights trinkets with berserker jewels. the result was ~2500 armor with the juggernaut trait and a lot of vitality through the alchemy line. (around 19k hp if i remember correctly.) that’s plenty survivability in any pve situation.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Your utility choices look good. Traits are good.

Berserker is good, but only to the point of keeping you alive. Sub in some Knights or Soldiers gear as needed until you find yourself not dying. The idea is to maximize your damage output while remaining alive. So up your def stats only as much as you need to to stay alive. As you improve and learn the mechanics of a specific encounter better or your internet/computer improves, you can gradually drop those pieces for more Berserker gear.

As for Runes, don’t underestimate Altruism runes. Sounds to me like you enjoy supporting your team with EG. So why not improve your support ability and your own self-healing with Altruism runes, which will boost your healing power and let you stack might & fury on your whole team each time you heal. Since you run MedKit all you have to do is swap into it and then back out for the runes to proc.

You’ve got a lot of sigil options, but if staying alive is your main focus at this point, try Sup Sigil of Blood for a chance to steal life on crit. With FT’s high rate of fire and a decent crit rate, you can end up proccing this quite often.

Also, food. Mango Pie will give you 85hp/sec regen & +70vit. Omnomberry Pie will give you 66% chance of lifesteal on crit & +70 prec.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

JonShade.4392

Thanks once again for the replies, I already have a better idea of how I’ll attempt to build it. Just a few last options i’d like to clear out.
I could try using dual Pistol for Poison Dart as mentioned and Blowtorch while i’m at it, then put FT back on. Guess it depends on the location/enemies more than anything (i. e. fractal 10+ harpies ask for shield)

Your utility choices look good. Traits are good.

Berserker is good, but only to the point of keeping you alive. Sub in some Knights or Soldiers gear as needed until you find yourself not dying. The idea is to maximize your damage output while remaining alive. So up your def stats only as much as you need to to stay alive. As you improve and learn the mechanics of a specific encounter better or your internet/computer improves, you can gradually drop those pieces for more Berserker gear.

As for Runes, don’t underestimate Altruism runes. Sounds to me like you enjoy supporting your team with EG. So why not improve your support ability and your own self-healing with Altruism runes, which will boost your healing power and let you stack might & fury on your whole team each time you heal. Since you run MedKit all you have to do is swap into it and then back out for the runes to proc.

You’ve got a lot of sigil options, but if staying alive is your main focus at this point, try Sup Sigil of Blood for a chance to steal life on crit. With FT’s high rate of fire and a decent crit rate, you can end up proccing this quite often.

Also, food. Mango Pie will give you 85hp/sec regen & +70vit. Omnomberry Pie will give you 66% chance of lifesteal on crit & +70 prec.

I’ll need a new computer soon no doubt XD
Might be a little more expensive, but I could run a more defensive set with Altruism for Dungeons and a Might stacking set for solo. After all, I’ll want to kill fast solo, while in a dungeon is where I usually end up dieing (I won’t even get on the AC “no utilities” bug on Tzark’s path), and I can get the most out of the Altruism by supporting the team. Also, the description on the runes say it gives Might/Fury to allies, does it affect me as well? If so, the description is a bit misleading…