Engineer Problem - Mobility

in Engineer

Posted by: lcizzle.8219

lcizzle.8219

I think one of the main problems with engineers are their mobility. All other classes have these teleports, charges, and gap closers that do not impede movement. Yet everything we have has some kind of hitch or movement stopping animation.

Magnetic Inversion – Cant use it while moving. Counter intuitive compared to all the rest of the skills in the game that are just like this and allow mobility.

Jump Shot – Stops in a hovering position at the end of the jump to stomp the ground. If you use this to get away, by the time you stop hovering and doing damage many of the classes are fast enough to close the gap. Thief on you? HS HS and hes right back on you messing you up.

Rocket Boots – Cool and all but you gotta get up off the ground and by then many classes can close the gap or just hit you from range keeping you on the ground permanently.

Overcharged Shot – Good for getting someone off you but if they have run speed or a gap closer which every one has they will be right back on you instantly. If they don’t get on you their teammate will because once again we are rolling around on the ground.

It just seems pretty lame that every class in the game has all these blinks, leaps, charges and so on and all we do is roll around on the ground and die.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lauren.3061

Lauren.3061

I tend to do pretty well with mobility: I used to use speedy kits (dropped recently) which was pretty effective, and even now without it, anyone focusing me heavily I just drop my blinds and/or knockbacks on them to prevent them from doing much to me, swap to medkit to remove conditions + extra speed and I’m generally good. I will agree that the one issue I continue to have is with HS. I’ve struggled to find a consistent counter to this as well, though against other professions not so much.

~Arabella

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

we have a perma-swiftness ability.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: achmed.6542

achmed.6542

<sacasm>
it realy annoys me too that every other class has 20 utility slots and all cooldowns on a 5 second timer. once an enemy apears, my char instantly locks up, all my skills get a 30 min cooldown and i cant move at all
</sacasm>

honestly, these topics become boring. you can CC the hell out of players. if you dont use them, then guess whos fault that is.

(edited by achmed.6542)

in Engineer

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Speedy Kits, Drop Stimulant. Easy sources of swiftness that aren’t hard at all to fit into ANY engineer build. You can also potentially have ridiculous uptime on Vigor with Invigorating Speed in Alchemy.

Overcharged Shot makes your Net Shot completely unavoidable when used in succession. He’s on the ground longer than you are.

Some other ones that haven’t been brought up.

Acid Bomb in Elixir Gun is a leap backwards, Elixir Gun is also one of the more solid kits Engineers can use.

Slick Shoes has a great active in that you can KD people by running them over, Tool Belt being Super Speed also has its uses.

The Engineer is really mobile actually, could be both a point defender and a roamer. Now Necros? Those guys have no mobility.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zil.7642

Zil.7642

Mobility on an engineer isn’t really an issue. If you play with a rifle you already have the ability to make the fight go how you want it. If a player does get close to you then there are a few ways to go about it. If you are at least 75% health just do a jumpshot right there, it hurts like hell and causes vulnerability. Throw a blunderbuss on him to add DoT effect and then shoot him back with overcharged. After this net him. You should have net ability specced so that it cripples him for 5 seconds, giving you time to move around and if your rifle skills are specced for 20% CD reduction then by the time he gets to you repeat it.

You can also keep a rocket turret in your kit, if someone gets close deploy it and immediately use explosive rockets. That is an instant knockdown. This allows even more time for your knockback and net abilities to get off CD.

As for your complaints about Overcharged Shot, the duration you stay in the air is always the same. If you target the ground 2 feet away from you there will be a delay in the air, if you use max distance you will not hang in air and be a good distance from your target.

If you really need to get away knockback, net, jump shot away, place rocket turret while running and then 1-2 seconds later use explosive rockets so it has a chance to knock them down as they try to catch up.

I could go on about the engineer but I think I’ve given enough examples. If you are looking for a few blinks and stealth you are playing the wrong class, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Instead of running just fight.

in Engineer

Posted by: DaveK.1023

DaveK.1023

“we have a perma-swiftness ability.”

You must be joking me.

It’s not an ability, it’s an abuse of a trait.

And by abuse I don’t mean anything negative or not allowed, just the fact the trait’s intention clearly isn’t for the player to press a kit button every 5 secs.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Regardless of how ‘difficult’ it is to perform, access to it is something no other class has.

Also, if it wasn’t their intention to allow it to happen the cooldown would be longer on the swiftness, or on kit swapping itself.

No, mobility is not an issue engineers have.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

I’ll agree with magnetic inversion, but the others are pretty much fine.

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: CptCosmic.3156

CptCosmic.3156

perma swiftness is not that great in combat. close combat builds have no issues to close the gap and ranged builds dont care about your tiny extra speed.

Rocket Boots need the self stun removed.
Magnetic Inversion should work while moving.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

@CptCosmic

Why change to rocket boots? Its how the skill is designed, and how it works.

Its not like you have a shortage of stun breakers… you have 3 others to pick from.

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: Warmage Timeraider.5861

Warmage Timeraider.5861

… engineer has dmg issues with pistols, slight defensive issues with rifle, bombs that everyone evades and turrets that get 2-shot..

and you are saying that the problem you find with Engineer is their mobility while it is 10 times better then other proffesions i have played

you seriously must be running a sad build :P

Timeraider- 80 Norn Elementalist – 80 Norn Engineer
epic-timeraider.weebly.com

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

I think lack of mobility/stability was intended as an engineer hallmark. Like how elems/thieves are the opposite with high mobility options.

in Engineer

Posted by: NeryK.5301

NeryK.5301

While I find the animations of overcharged shot and rocket boots hilarious, the self-knockdown effect is quite a disadvantage in non-1v1 situations. It is not like the profession lacks in gap-maker skills, but each one has a drawback (delay for big ol’ bomb and thump, push only for air blast, self-knockdown for overcharged shot and rocket boots, no other effects for personal battering ram).
I guess this is how balance is achieved between these skills.

I like this job. I like it !

(edited by NeryK.5301)

in Engineer

Posted by: Devinchi.2756

Devinchi.2756

I personally think that engineers have respectable mobility, but that’s just me.

Regardless, their “lack of mobility” is more than made up for by an unrivaled ability to neutralize you opponent’s movement. We have the most cc in the game and tons of skills and traits that apply cripple and immobilize as well as take advantage of those conditions. With a rifle, rocket turret, and net turret, I can single-handedly lock down an opponent’s movement for a good 15 sec while they eat massive blunderbuss and jump shot damage, and that’s only one of many ways you can accomplish total control.

Heavy Charrtillery – lvl 80 Engineer
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

To OP

You forgot the slick shoes gadget and the leg mods / power shoes traits.

The traits give you an extra passive 10% in combat or when a kit is out. Slick shoes gives you a nice speed boost that can be used as a charge.

But as far as the perma swiftness debate goes. Everyone can get perma swiftness. It’s a non issue.

Procs / Rune can even let you get away without using any of the swiftness traits like speedy kits.

As far as mobility issues go our movement abilities that the OP listed are no better or worse than any others except the teleports.

The bigger issues is our passives are 10% when others, such as signets are 15-25%. It means that you can’t catch or escape from certain professions if they dodge your net shot.

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

I personally think that engineers have respectable mobility, but that’s just me.

Regardless, their “lack of mobility” is more than made up for by an unrivaled ability to neutralize you opponent’s movement. We have the most cc in the game and tons of skills and traits that apply cripple and immobilize as well as take advantage of those conditions. With a rifle, rocket turret, and net turret, I can single-handedly lock down an opponent’s movement for a good 15 sec while they eat massive blunderbuss and jump shot damage, and that’s only one of many ways you can accomplish total control.

Coming from a d/d elem I feel like I have anchors on my feet as an engi. haha.