Engineer Roaming, Celestial vs Zerk

in Engineer

Posted by: Animosity.5968

Animosity.5968

So, I’m new to engineer but i’ve fallen in love with the class. I did main a guardian but hey whats a guardian now? I got a engineer. So the point of this post is the ask, When roaming in wvw (mostly Solo, sometimes a duo) what do you think is better for 1v1 and 1v2 fights, Full zerk or Celestial? The build im using is this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdQQFAUlUUpdr1UxkLseRCdBNywMFQugKIyF2wPFAA-TVSDAB9oEj7LAwBPAgnUe8i6P8s/AI6AAwEHEKBJDQ+WA-w

I’m having good runs with this build but I c alot of celestial engi’s around and wanna no what all the hub bub is about and cing that making celestial is time consuming i figured i’d ask. any input would be nice

in Engineer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

Celestial is nice because of the condi, power, and healing (and toughness and vitality). It gives you great sustain in all fields.

Zerker however is really good at singling out targets but you’d have a lot more trouble 1v2 due to having no defense.

Both are good for roaming it just depends on your playstyle (burst vs sustain).

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

2 things i always say:

1. i dont like cele in wvw because of guard stack vit, i feel like you can increase your damage output at the expense of the vit on cele gear with zerk (and knight to taste) while remaining anything but squishy. but cele really is just fine.

2. pack runes are filler. youll get a lot more mileage out of a pricier rune set: melandru (when using no stunbreak), hoelbrak, strength (could be too squishy)… you get what you pay for.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: risenlord.2035

risenlord.2035

cele scales real nice with engineer. Like elementalist’s we get more out of celestial than other classes but really it’s not that great in wvw. I try to maximize my power and crit when running in wvw and run cele in pvp.

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

full zerker, zerker+knights or zerker+soldier
your build doesn’t justify the use of celestial.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Posted by: The Baws.5164

The Baws.5164

Well, there’s a bunch to consider.

Celestial works much better against kinda bad players due to the higher burst, especially if running intelligence sigils. Bad players just panic and flop when bursted. Celestial also imo is much more fun to play and just as strong as Condi all in all.

In a group roaming setting I’d say Condi is probably stronger but all of the utility that a Condi spec brings in 3 kits, a Celestial set does too, so you’re only really providing alternative forms of damage and slightly higher constant pressure.

All in all I’d say they’re about equally good but I prefer Celestial due to more burst = more fun imo.

And also, Pack runes are really good. Melandru are too tanky and will sacrifice your damage quite massively, Hoelbrak/Strength are both good but only if you want to bother with might etc. and sigil of battle. Pack runes are really really strong for a group roaming setting, and provide you with good power, precision and also potential fury which is a massive DPS increase.

They also have the added benefit of being only 3g each.

The whole thing about runes being as good as they are expensive is rubbish. Krait runes are awesome and so are anti-toxin for condi builds, Krait coming in at 6 copper I believe and antitoxin 30 silver each. Perplexity is also about 13g a piece and they are a load of bloody rubbish that should be removed. It’s simply due to the mats required to make them.

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

in Engineer

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

Celestial is much superior in 1v1. This is proven by spvp meta builds. Almost all good engi players are all running celestial. In wvw for a 1v1 or small scale fight perspective celestial is the best option. It is actually even better than in spvp because you can count with the bloodlust+ guard stacks that you wouldnt have in spvp. Also the average wvw player is weaker than the average spvp player.

The problem with celestial is that in big scale fights, your condis are almost useless because a good group will remove every condi very fast. The healing also wont help in big scale.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in Engineer

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

I run zerk for wvw and pvp… but it works no where near as effective as celestial, however, you’ll either win or lose a lot faster.. which can be good and bad at times. I don’t run celestial as I like to 100 to 0 people very fast and burst engi can do this well (I run grenades w/static discharge, so not normal SD setup). I also find it funner to play Completely personal preference though. If your starting out, go with Celestial, probably the strongest engineer setup due to insane versatility, and maybe move to zerk if you want to see those big numbers Engineer is very versatile in playing burst, condition, hybrid. I’d advise going cele first, then giving the others a whirl, then pick which one you liked most, adjust and modify a build from there

in Engineer

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

If you do decide to go Celestial, just concentrate more on kitting (bomb/grenade kit is a MUST have), 6 in Alchemy for the passive heal when using a kit is REALLY strong.

In general I would say your build is not really meant for roaming.
You need more reliable damage AND more damage mitigation.
Rifle and your kits and odd choice in turret will not do that for you.

With your current build you are more of a burst Engi, which isn’t ideal for roaming but it can be done if you know when to run and when to fight.
But it really is an all in or all out build, you have no way to get out (escape) when things go south, so you only have 1 choice once you commit, KILL or DIE.

Anyway, for your current build, Zerker would be best, better yet, Zerk and a few knights/soldiers stuff (4 out of 6 trinkets is what I would make knights, or 3 out of 6 Soldiers).

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in Engineer

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Played celestial for a while now, its pretty kitten good.

Personally I would suggest it with berzerker rings/trinkets/amulet.

True it has lower damage then full zerker however the survivability makes up for it & if specced right/running with right specs for allies you can easily stack allot of might.

in Engineer

Posted by: Black para goner.7612

Black para goner.7612

I only run cele when in groups of 3-5, people love focusing engis, You can’t zerk in those situations when you have a thief and warrior on your kitten . I like to run more zerky solo, good dmg, keep the enemy on their toes, they make a mistake you got em, you make a mistake you are dead. Can make for good fights.

Nova Bushido Top Charr Engineer, AG IRQ.
Predator | Quip | Flameseeker | Juggernaut

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

I only run cele when in groups of 3-5, people love focusing engis, You can’t zerk in those situations when you have a thief and warrior on your kitten . I like to run more zerky solo, good dmg, keep the enemy on their toes, they make a mistake you got em, you make a mistake you are dead. Can make for good fights.

I find it’s the opposite really. in a group of 5 people you should go zerker since you’ll most likely have access to defensive boons from them and 25 might+fury. Your own defensive stats don’t matter as much as access to “oh kitten” buttons such as blocks, stealths and immunities for when you do get focused.

when you’re alone however, thats when you need the extra healing and toughness.

regardless, op’s build simply isn’t made for celestial.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

I would run something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/q74rys9

It is basically the spvp celestial rifle build. Very few players are able to kill you in a 1v1 with a build like that.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

In my opinion celestial is more balanced than zerk . If you take nades or bombs condi damage is an important way of damage and celestial maximize the mix of direct/condi damage. On the other side traditional rabid,condition builds are really strong becouse you are more tank, you can have shield and you have a good damage also. I would put celestial and rabid builds on the same level ( it depends on your opponent setup , in some case i prefer celestial , in other rabid ) and after them i would put zerk builds . With nades i use celestial in zerg too , you have to stay out of the core of the damage but you can do quite well . With rabid you can stay in zerg too playing smarty… with zerg in my opinion you can only roam. Celestial or rabid are much more versatile