Engineer Speed Boosts

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: TreeLady.1957

TreeLady.1957

I’ve less than a year’s experience in this whole MMO world, with GW2 being my sole experience. I’m loving it and I’m learning. I couldn’t find a similar thread here in the Engineers area of the Forum, so … here goes.

Maybe I’ve gotten spoiled by the (almost) permanent Warrior speed boost (attached to melee weapons) and … is there anything similar to that for Engineers? Something that lasts longer that 5 or 10 seconds and is built in?

I know there are some runes (Pack, etc.), but I’m not sure that’s a really smart use of those precious upgrade slots.

If I need to just “get over it”, that’s fine. I’ll learn how to maneuver slow, although that is a challenge for me in WvW.

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

The Speedy Kits route is fairly common, but only particularly useful if you use Kits.

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Shanks R Us.2489

Shanks R Us.2489

No trait-able movement buff except power shoes, which only works when you’re in combat.

It’s either the rune set, speedy kits, elixir B (not perma) or yeah, get over it.

Zane The Clever – Asuran Engineer
Roaming Video 3Roaming Video 41v7 in WvW with engineer

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

Speedy Kits = perma speed boost. Get used to press some keys.

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: TreeLady.1957

TreeLady.1957

Thank you, all.
I’ve started playing with the speedy kits option. It works, with lots of key pressing, as noted. I’m happy to have an option.

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

Thank you, all.
I’ve started playing with the speedy kits option. It works, with lots of key pressing, as noted. I’m happy to have an option.

I’d recommend grabbing medkit, since medkit 5 offers more swiftness (so you don’t have to hit as many buttons). That and the fact that the heal is on the toolbelt rather than on the normal bar is what keeps it in a lot of my builds.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Thunderclock.7390

Thunderclock.7390

It’s funny because whenever I play another one of my characters besides my engi, I find myself constantly hitting E (equivalent to 7) to switch to a kit and proc speedy kits. Switching kits has become second nature to me that I don’t even have to pay attention to the swiftness CD, i just hit it every 5 seconds or so.

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Yup. I play engi for 75% of my play time. Mesmer about 10% and Guardian about 10%, the other 5% is spread out amount he others (got all professions to 80) and every time I go to move somewhere, the first thing I do is burn my heal trying to swap to med kit.

The other thing is I always burn a utility trying to hit rocket boots when I am in a hurry.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Using MedKit #5 and Elixir B = 100% uptime swiftness, no speedy kits required. One of the two will always come off cooldown before your swiftness runs out.

How did nobody else mention this?

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

To most people speedy kits is an easy choice over keeping one of your utility skills constantly on cooldown.

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Like others above, I too have gotten so used to Speedy Kits that I find myself popping my heal with other characters for a boost. While some professions have a no brainer signet or passive trait to run fast, our Speedy Kits is so good just about every build takes it.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: zaragoz.6351

zaragoz.6351

Yep, speedy kits and the vigor on swiftness traits are a must. Also I really only WvW so I use med-kit 99% of the time for the additional swiftness.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Zaragoz[SS] – 80 engineer

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: pza.8024

pza.8024

i run a successful multikit engineer withuot relying on speedy kits or that vigor thingy.
the secret is the rune of centaur, which grants permaswiftness to you and 5 people around you, as long as you use the medkit. this is very good in small groups where you need constant speed. you’ll relief the need of a speedboost for all other group members.

in case you like to do dungeons, swap to healing turret, which is a way better healing skill. in the case you’ll need a quick charge of speed, swap to medkit, use skill 5 and swap back to HT, this is enough for any rushing in a dungeon. in deungeons you’re free to chose any runeset you want.

you will be able to chose your traits freely and you wont be relying on 2 of your 7 precious mayor traits. you can still opt for envigorating speed in combination with centaur runes.

(edited by pza.8024)

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

if you want warrior ish mobility there are a few ways to do it.

with the speedy kits in tools it is easy to get perma swiftness.

you can also add in slick shoes or the kit refinement trait (also in tools)+ tool kit to get quickness buffs.

there is also rocket boots that let you do super leaps when combined with quickness.

we also have a 25% movement trait in inventions (the toughness tree), and we have a lot of ways to reduce / remove immo, chill, and cripple in any spec.

But generally you have to either give up 1-2 traits, or 1-2 utility slots to get the movement speed you want, and to match warrior mobility, you have to do both.

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

centaur’s rune + elixir H + elixir B = perma swiftness (stack on duration)

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

You do not need the + elixir H + elixir B at all with the centaur’s rune

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Singer.8740

Singer.8740

You do not need the + elixir H + elixir B at all with the centaur’s rune

You do not need to waste your money or trait points. with a mere 30% boon duration Elixir B + drop stimulant is perm swiftness.

Etheeria (The mad bomber). If you don’t have shellshock your not doing it right.

Engineer Speed Boosts

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Regarding medkit, you can always swap it your bar, use the stimulant skill (#5), and then swap back to healing turret or elixir H if you’d rather use those. This way, you can benefit from the medkit’s movement enhancement without having to permanently keep it on your bar. This will probably only be practical for open field movement as using it in a near-combat situation could be troublesome, and you obviously won’t be able to use it in tPvP.