Engineer: Why no quick swap for weapons?

in Engineer

Posted by: Timberfox.3961

Timberfox.3961

Q:

Very simply, why was the Engineer not given the ability to quick swap weapons, like so many other characters? I was in a shoot out in the street, then ran into a building to pursue the villains. When I tried to swap to my pistols (since I didn’t need super long range indoors), I was surprised to find that I could not do a quick weapon swap. So, I had to check for enemies… find a safe place…open my inventory…find my pistols…etc. Did I mention the shoot out that was going on? FINALLY, back to the fight with my pistols.

So, was this an oversight or an arbitrary decision to exclude the Engineer? A player might know the answer, but a GM assured me that the Devs read the forums and I should ask here, if I ever expect a response or anything. Surely, I am not the first person to wonder about this.

in Engineer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

A:

To answer the question:

Yes, it is a design decision to not give engineers weapon swap. This has primarily to do with balance and can be seen with elementalists as well (though eles have multiple attunements).

In general it has to do with balance as far as availability of skills, complexity of class and utility is concerned. Engineers and elementalists both have multiple ways of gaining access to different weapons skills (attunements for eles, weapon kits for engies for example). Giving them two weapon sets available in battle might create unbalance in previously mentioned areas (and/or make the classes to hard to balance).

in Engineer

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Engineers don’t need a weapon swap, they can have an array of weapons from flamethrowers to turrets. Just have a look at the engineers utility skills, and see how many are weapon skills. They are not the only class, Ele’s also don’t have a quick weapon swap.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Engineer

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

It’s pretty much the same way why the ele doesn’t get a weapon swap.
Because the engi has a numerous array of kits it can swap between, just as the ele can swap between elemental attunements.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

in Engineer

Posted by: BattleRattle.5420

BattleRattle.5420

The Engineer and Elementalist do not have secondary weapon sets. I guess it’s since Engineer have kits and Elemantalist can change between elements.

in Engineer

Posted by: Asclepios.4295

Asclepios.4295

I guess it first came from the idea that engineers are supposed to fight with gadgets, not weapons. But yes, it is lame and it is yet another reason why engineers are so poorly regarded at the moment in game (aside from crap dps and mediocre support). I started the game with an engineer, the class looked so sexy at release. But swapping between weapons manually is one of tye reasons why I gave up. Never came back to him, and I don’t intend to…

in Engineer

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

On my two engineers, which are both level 80 and 100% mapped, I barely use the actual weapons anyway, let alone a second set. The tools, gadgets and turrets do everything I need.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

in Engineer

BrotherBelial.3094

I guess it first came from the idea that engineers are supposed to fight with gadgets, not weapons. But yes, it is lame and it is yet another reason why engineers are so poorly regarded at the moment in game (aside from crap dps and mediocre support). I started the game with an engineer, the class looked so sexy at release. But swapping between weapons manually is one of tye reasons why I gave up. Never came back to him, and I don’t intend to…

Engineers are a really good class, scrapper is nails. An Engi played well is a force to be reckoned with, and they can be practically unkillable and do good fps at the same time.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

in Engineer

Posted by: BattleRattle.5420

BattleRattle.5420

… yet another reason why engineers are so poorly regarded at the moment in game (aside from crap dps and mediocre support). I…

Though I personally dislike the engi, I must say I disagree a lot with it having “crap dps and mediocre support”. It’s all about how you play an engi, some suck at it – as me – and others can contribute greatly to a group as both great dps or support.

in Engineer

Asclepios.4295

Engineers are a really good class, scrapper is nails. An Engi played well is a force to be reckoned with, and they can be practically unkillable and do good fps at the same time.

You might be right, my good sir. Back in the days when I gave up on my engi to start a guardian instead, I was surprised at how easy things were with my new toon. I probably wasn’t playing my engi right, I am totally ok to admit it. But in the game it is incredibly hard to find an engi who is actually helpful in any way (dps or support), which does not make it very appealing. If you’re good with yours, I’d be happy to see you play and change my mind. Over time, my main has become my necro, and considering some personal feats I like to believe I have mastered him. I am considering now playing another toon. Engi and ranger are currently at the bottom of my wish list. But I love changing my mind. Again, there is a huge desaffection for engis, which would make your job harder than if you were to sell me Ele in pve or Thief in pvp.

in Engineer

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

Crap dps? Seriously? Wow! Think I am seeing a l2p issue here. Look that Engineer soloing Migraine and said that thing again.
Anyway, as I said few days ago about the same thing but Elementalis:
Insert that gif… I know you want it.

in Engineer

Asclepios.4295

Crap dps? Seriously? Wow! Think I am seeing a l2p issue here. Look that Engineer soloing Migraine and said that thing again.
Anyway, as I said few days ago about the same thing but Elementalis:
Insert that gif… I know you want it.

That was a very constructive reply. Thank you so much for your input.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I actually agree with OP. Ele and Engi CAN change weapons, out of combat. Which means the only thing they take away from them is convenience. It’s silly. Besides, not every Engi uses kits. I would sell my soul to play a Rifle/Hammer Engi with utilities like Rocket Boots, Ram and Elixir C. Screw the meta, that is my dream build but I can’t get it.

in Engineer

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Engi can switch to flame thrower instantly for short-range destructive ability.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

As an engineer, I can swap to up to five different “weapons” (though in practice, I usually only use three or so) with no cooldown. The ability to have a second weapon set is fairly unnecessary (especially since our kits are better than our weapons) and would likely require nerfs in other areas.

As such, I would actually prefer to not have a second weapon set.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

in Engineer

penelopehannibal.8947

I actually agree with OP. Ele and Engi CAN change weapons, out of combat. Which means the only thing they take away from them is convenience. It’s silly. Besides, not every Engi uses kits. I would sell my soul to play a Rifle/Hammer Engi with utilities like Rocket Boots, Ram and Elixir C. Screw the meta, that is my dream build but I can’t get it.

It’s not just about ‘convenience’ – Elementalists and Engineers can swap only when they are not engaged with any enemy. If you allow weapon swap, it’s more than just taking away the inconvenience – you’re also doubling the skill choice against the same enemy. Things would have to be seriously nerfed if Elementalists and Engineers were given weapon swap, and I think that would bring about a lot more uproar than is necessary.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

in Engineer

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I like running scrapper/engineer but I feel like the profession could be improved. For starters I think the profession needs a better off-hand weapon or the glue shot needs to be changed or improved. It’s useless. The shield’s recharge is too slow. I’d like to see a focus like weapon used for something. A whip would be good off-hand too. Basically the profession more of a rifle/gunslinger with other skills. Good for short/mid range attacks and stealth.

If no weapon swap I’d like to see a skill swap on the other side because I’m always adjusting my skills or a button to quick reset the skills back to player chosen defaults.

Typically when I’m roaming PvE maps I use rocket boots, flame thrower, shredder gyro and sneak gyro. The shredder gyro is useless except as a distraction. When doing a boss fight or meta-event I change to others depending on the needs. I wish the shredder gyro would tag to an enemy and last longer. I don’t play PvP but I imagine it’s useless as the other player could just step aside.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

I always like the idea of being able to weapon swap, if you didn’t have any weapon kits on your utility bar.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Engineer

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I always like the idea of being able to weapon swap, if you didn’t have any weapon kits on your utility bar.

I think you would have to also add in having no turrets on toolbar. But even then I fear they would take away our toolbelt skills. Because tbh with kits/turrets and toolbelt we really do not need another weapon option.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

in Engineer

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I have a level 80 Scrapper, and seriously keep wishing that I could do P/P and Hammer swap. Instead I just stick with P/P and use Flamethrower kit. Which works fine, but there’s no way I would sacrifice my P/P permanently for Hammer. Hammer just does’t work as good as my pistols, damage-wise, but I would at least like to be able to swap to it mid-battle when it’s relevant.

One thing I also don’t understand about the Engi is that, with all the focus on firearms, why do the Warriors and Thieves get better firearm skills? I seriously think that the rapid fire pistol skill of Thief and the rifle skills of Warrior would be perfect for Engi. Instead, it feels like those classes have more proficiency in those weapons than an Engi, of all classes, is.

Just my opinion, of course.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

in Engineer

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

Would love if they changed it, but i know they never will cuz of balance. And it wouldn’t be right for them to change it for pve you could swapp but wvw/pvp you couldn’t. The whole thing with eng and ele’s is you need to work on your brain and finger speed. They’re not really lazy classes, like many others are. They’re about swapping constantly and moving. I know im getting too old to play them properly, specially for pvp and wvw lol

in Engineer

BrotherBelial.3094

You might be right, my good sir. Back in the days when I gave up on my engi to start a guardian instead, I was surprised at how easy things were with my new toon. I probably wasn’t playing my engi right, I am totally ok to admit it. But in the game it is incredibly hard to find an engi who is actually helpful in any way (dps or support), which does not make it very appealing. If you’re good with yours, I’d be happy to see you play and change my mind. Over time, my main has become my necro, and considering some personal feats I like to believe I have mastered him. I am considering now playing another toon. Engi and ranger are currently at the bottom of my wish list. But I love changing my mind. Again, there is a huge desaffection for engis, which would make your job harder than if you were to sell me Ele in pve or Thief in pvp.

While I would love to show you what a good engineer can do, I’m not that great myself. I’m probably avrage
with one, but I’ve seen some be a real handful when fighting them with my warrior, at which I’m very good with. You would be better of asking in the Engi sub forum.

in Engineer

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

The Engineer has the following weapon swap options:

1. Equipped Weapon
2. Flamethrower
3. Elixir Gun
4. Mortar
5. Bomb
6. Grenade
7. Med Kit

This means that based on skill usage, an Engineer can have between 1 and 6 different weapon sets available at a time.

This means that you have the choice to have 50% of the weapon swaps of other classes, or 300% of the weapon swaps of other classes, depending on how you set yourself up.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Engineer

penelopehannibal.8947

1. Equipped Weapon
2. Flamethrower
3. Elixir Gun
4. Mortar
5. Bomb
6. Grenade
7. Med Kit
8. Toolbelt Skills

This means that based on skill usage, an Engineer can have between 1 and 6 different weapon sets available at a time.

This means that you have the choice to have 50% of the weapon swaps of other classes, or 300% of the weapon swaps of other classes, depending on how you set yourself up.

Added one for you.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

in Engineer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

I think you would have to also add in having no turrets on toolbar. But even then I fear they would take away our toolbelt skills. Because tbh with kits/turrets and toolbelt we really do not need another weapon option.

Turrets are more akin to minions though. The toolbelt is a profession mechanic (like shroud) but the weapon kits are the replacement for only 1 weapon. So it wouldn’t make sense disallowing us from using a second weapon if we had turrets or because of the toolkit.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

1. Equipped Weapon
2. Flamethrower
3. Elixir Gun
4. Mortar
5. Bomb
6. Grenade
7. Med Kit
8. Toolbelt Skills

Added one for you.

/this

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

You missed the Tool Kit also.

Engie doesn’t need weapon swap. Only better balance, a lot of bug polishing and a real Elite Spec Mechanic.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Engineer

Posted by: Timberfox.3961

Timberfox.3961

Thank you all for your responses. As a new player, I did not have the access to your hindsight. I look forward to experimenting with all the features mentioned here.