Engineer's best role in a zerg?

in Engineer

Posted by: Repuran.1859

Repuran.1859

For a while now I have been testing different builds and I’m finally happy with my roaming build (dire with scavenger runes using bomb/tool kit) but I still find myself switching builds for zerg play on a daily basis.

Nades just feel slow and ineffective even on a power build and bombs seem to me like they could have a real use in zergs if you get a good trait line and enough survivability.

Does anyone have an effective bomb build for zerg vs zerg combat?

Full time Engi, Part time Ele

in Engineer

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

in Engineer

Posted by: Singer.8740

Singer.8740

My bunker bomber build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqel0pSX3zSiF87ISoC2noH6Hl5YfeIXPIEC-jkCB4iBkWAhkGkEBITqIasVhFRjVJjIqWpEzcjRr2uDIGAmA-w

Uses “potion of karka toughness” for nourishment. (+150 toughness)

Very tanky. After you get your stacks and get your might going (switching to med kit every 10 secs.) The damage output is also very good.

Etheeria (The mad bomber). If you don’t have shellshock your not doing it right.

in Engineer

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Changes dependent on what you are facing- I have four sets of armor for my engi and swop builds regularly, it’s one of the joys of playing engineer that you can be very diverse.

Personally I like running a damage nade/FT/rocket boot build as I’m quite good at positioning and will dodge the melee train and rocket boot into their necros and eles, sow destruction and choas (and more importantly put off their casting, etc) and then rocket boot out when HP gets low, using crit HP steal food as it’s just sooo good as well as precision food and prec rune (aoe flameburst on off). this is also good for defending/attacking towers, siege, etc.

You can run bomb kit condi/tanky builds too and run st8 through the melee train with piles of regen going.

I have found that running full condi build isn’t that useful from a damage point of view as most zergs wipe off your conditions so fast they barely tick at all (and throwing conditions on eles and necros is a waste of time- the necro welcomes your conditions, more the merrier). But it can be very effective against other groups that aren’t so organised or if you have good support yourself, when you can run front line with the tanks tossing bombs and nades to your heart’s content.

Engineer is one of the most flexible classes so try a number of different builds and find out what suits your playstyle best.

I would ask people posting up builds NOT to include ascended back pieces and rings and trinkets as these aren’t available to most when considering changing build and you might want to show the stats with exotics to give a better picture of what most people would end up with.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in Engineer

Posted by: JonSnow.5610

JonSnow.5610

My bunker bomber build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqel0pSX3zSiF87ISoC2noH6Hl5YfeIXPIEC-jkCB4iBkWAhkGkEBITqIasVhFRjVJjIqWpEzcjRr2uDIGAmA-w

Very tanky. After you get your stacks and get your might going (switching to med kit every 10 secs.) The damage output is also very good.

This build also requires an elite banner warrior.

Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?
Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise can not see all ends

(edited by JonSnow.5610)

in Engineer

Singer.8740

My bunker bomber build.

This build also requires a banner warrior.

how so? ive never needed one, this builds pretty stand alone.

Etheeria (The mad bomber). If you don’t have shellshock your not doing it right.

in Engineer

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Ran a full tanky regen engi yesterday using elixir gun and FT and rocket boots. Doesn’t do much damage but being able to stand under multiple AC and laugh was good fun- and generally the last man standing apart from our comm. Traveller runes:-)

Being able to troll a 5 man team and drag them half way across the map (until I forgot about the guard patrol- oops) was priceless- as they then missed seeing our zerg run in and flip their t3 tower:-)

Depends who you run with as to what build will suit you- personally i just love dodging the front of the train and then rocket booting into the back line and sowing merry hell, it just never gets old:_)

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in Engineer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

I run a full zerker (well almost full my earrings and back are pvt) with SD rifle. For utilities I’ll use RT, TK, & RB between the block from TK and the Rocket Boots I have no issue with survival (positioning is key)

I’m a back line player and I just love being able to pick off priority targets at will, if I want you dead… You die but said then I blast away and heal. For AoE damage rifle #1 can be amazing if used right.

It may not be the best Zerg build but I like to play in small groups/roaming so I just use that same build for everything (0/20/10/10/30 btw) right now I used stabilized armor and protection injection but after patch I’ll use armor mods and I’ll need to pick up invigorating speed.

Edit: build was wrong

(edited by tattoohead.3217)

in Engineer

Posted by: Unhinged Carrot.3849

Unhinged Carrot.3849

Massively under-rated is the 10 second Ice Field from Mortar. Lay that down and blast away for Frost Aura. The enemy blob will be constantly chilled (reapplied as soon as they cleanse it) and yours will be taking -10% damage.

Zobb – Asura Engineer – Seafarer’s Rest

in Engineer

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Debuffs, CC’s, aoe heals, aoe cleanses, tanky, disruptive. I love playing engi.

Was in WvW on my tanky boon busting build the other night when JQ had 16 arrow carts set up in SMC lords room. They were doing so much insane damage that our zerg couldn’t even get in. But Milky did! With a double dodge roll and a gear shield, I made it past all the damage, got to the arrow carts, and started knocking people off them with Big Ol Bomb, shield, magnet, throw mine, etc. Those who don’t know me were laughing when they saw me charge in by myself, and were amazed that I was still alive in there solo for a good 30 seconds. Maybe some of them will roll an engi now

This let my zerg enter SMC and destroy the rest of the carts, eventually leading to our capture of the castle. All because of 1 little asura engi.

That’s an offensive support / disrupt tank build. I also play apothecary bomb heals when I feel like being defensive support, and I like static discharge for roaming, and occasionally zerging (but SD in a zerg can be difficult sometimes, you might want rocketboots)

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in Engineer

Singer.8740

It may not be the best Zerg build but I like to play in small groups/roaming so I just use that same build for everything (0/30/10/10/30 btw)

I call hax. You have put 10 more points there than you should have. You may need to edit your post.

in Engineer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

It may not be the best Zerg build but I like to play in small groups/roaming so I just use that same build for everything (0/30/10/10/30 btw)

I call hax. You have put 10 more points there than you should have. You may need to edit your post.

HA lol whoops! It’s a 0/20/10/10/30 build I’ll edit thx for catching that.

in Engineer

Posted by: Iconoklast.2389

Iconoklast.2389

I like to to see myself as a backline destroyer. I rocket boot towards all those eles and necros, use big bomb to knock em all down because they typically don’t have perma-stability. Keeping these guys occupied/dead can be a huge help.

Iconoklast – Guardian / Icono Clone – Mesmer
Tiny Icono – Engineer / The Icono – Elementalist
SoS – Empyrean Knights [EK] YB – The Coasters [TC]

in Engineer

WhiteAndMilky.2514

I like to to see myself as a backline destroyer. I rocket boot towards all those eles and necros, use big bomb to knock em all down because they typically don’t have perma-stability. Keeping these guys occupied/dead can be a huge help.

^ This, if you play tanky builds, you can REALLY disrupt the back ends of zergs. That’s where most of the squishies are going to be, the support classes, and the noobs. Even if you don’t do much damage, you can prevent these people from helping their zerg, and you most likely won’t die if you spec right, so they waste their time and cooldowns on you.

in Engineer

Posted by: huwpewpew.6075

huwpewpew.6075

Debuffs, CC’s, aoe heals, aoe cleanses, tanky, disruptive. I love playing engi.

Was in WvW on my tanky boon busting build the other night when JQ had 16 arrow carts set up in SMC lords room. They were doing so much insane damage that our zerg couldn’t even get in. But Milky did! With a double dodge roll and a gear shield, I made it past all the damage, got to the arrow carts, and started knocking people off them with Big Ol Bomb, shield, magnet, throw mine, etc. Those who don’t know me were laughing when they saw me charge in by myself, and were amazed that I was still alive in there solo for a good 30 seconds. Maybe some of them will roll an engi now

This let my zerg enter SMC and destroy the rest of the carts, eventually leading to our capture of the castle. All because of 1 little asura engi.

That’s an offensive support / disrupt tank build.

Could you share that build please? sounds awesome.

in Engineer

Posted by: Linc.6834

Linc.6834

I would like to see Milky’s build as well, here’s my guess.
Judging by his story the skills should be spot on, I just threw in gear/traits I thought would allow him to survive against 16 people by himself for 30 seconds. Personally I’ve pulled off similar feats in SM, as long as you can make it to the second floor its tough for them to catch you

in Engineer

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Unfortunately I cannot give anyone a specific link to my build, as I crafted it for my guild. You can pretty much figure out what I am running though if you read what I said carefully. I will hint you that I am not running healing turret, but I WILL be running it after the December 10th patch and I am NOT running movement speed runes or speedy kits. (this is a huge hint, and will cause a chain reaction of puzzle pieces to fall together )

(edited by WhiteAndMilky.2514)

in Engineer

Posted by: Mishva.9416

Mishva.9416

Leg Mods people, get your Leg Mods today!

Mishvya Of Abyss [Abys] – SBI
engineer and commander.

in Engineer

WhiteAndMilky.2514

I’ll give you another hint too, I like 25% HP traits… a lot of them.