Engineer's overall standing

in Engineer

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

Hello,

I just wanted to discuss the standing of the Engineer in the game currently, especially after tweaks to the bomb kit.

I’ve found that my Engineer has multiple useful specs; Condi nades/bombs (with P/P or P/S, my current fav), bunker healing bombs, longrange rifle SD burst, durable/balanced rifle control (try this one with battering ram, so fun), confusion stack condi with TK, HGH, and multiple in-betweeners that switch up certain kits/utilities.

I agree that currently, turrets are completely whacked. They suck kitten . But, look on the bright side, other professions have worthless utilities too. Guardian spirit weapons, Ele conjures (except for PvE), Warrior’s Kick and Stomp, Ranger pets, etc.

There is still more to be improved, but at the current standing I feel very useful and powerful from an overall standpoint whilst playing my Engi. Do you guys agree, or does anyone actually feel disadvantaged out on the battlefield?

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I agree, we have quit a few very productive and useful builds in all 3 game mods.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

Yes, Warriors stomp. A stunbreak that gives stability and launches is “useless”.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Engineer

George Steel.1804

Yes, Warriors stomp. A stunbreak that gives stability and launches is “useless”.

If you’ve seriously had a problem with warriors running stomp, you need to re-evaluate your playstyle.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Engineer

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I love my engi build. Sadly I’ve hit my personal skill cap with it and lose to classes I know I should beat. Sometimes players will simply be better than you but I feel like Engi requires more skills than a good deal of the other classes.

(I am referring to solo roaming in WVW)

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

If you’ve seriously had a problem with warriors running stomp, you need to re-evaluate your playstyle.

It counters Slick Shoes extremely well.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Engineer

coglin.1867

Don’t be silly. He said nothing about trouble with anything, your being needlessly defensive simply because someone disagrees with you. Frankly, I have to agree that its a great skill, and it seems ridiculously close minded of you to use the term “useless” when referring to such a solid skill.

in Engineer

George Steel.1804

I love my engi build. Sadly I’ve hit my personal skill cap with it and lose to classes I know I should beat. Sometimes players will simply be better than you but I feel like Engi requires more skills than a good deal of the other classes.

(I am referring to solo roaming in WVW)

I agree with you in that it does require more skill. I think it’s probably got one of the highest ceiling in the games.

I personally run EG/BK/GK with P/S, only allowing me ONE stunbreak. This creates a proactive playstyle that can get locked down and screwed over easily if I don’t control the ebb and flow of the battle.

Keep practicing and playing, and take an honest review of your hotkey setup. you should be able to hit every skill 1-10 and all four toolbelt skills without sacrificing movement and positioning.

Personal setup: 1,2,3,4,5,F,Q,E,R,Shift+R – Toolbelt – Shift+1,2,3,4

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Engineer

George Steel.1804

Don’t be silly. He said nothing about trouble with anything, your being needlessly defensive simply because someone disagrees with you. Frankly, I have to agree that its a great skill, and it seems ridiculously close minded of you to use the term “useless” when referring to such a solid skill.

If it’s such a solid skill, then why do I so rarely see it being used in WvW roaming and sPvP? Let’s be honest, people are going to use abilities that have strength and potential. While a stunbreak and 1Sec of stability is good, putting it on a 45 second CD and psedo-self stun is not.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Engineer

coglin.1867

If it’s such a solid skill, then why do I so rarely see it being used in WvW roaming and sPvP? Let’s be honest, people are going to use abilities that have strength and potential. While a stunbreak and 1Sec of stability is good, putting it on a 45 second CD and psedo-self stun is not.

I don’t care why you don’t see it in WvW. This is not a warrior thread. My point is, that it is certainly good enough, that you have no business attacking him for disagreeing with you.

in Engineer

Posted by: Moderator.8539

Moderator.8539

Please refrain from off-topic posting as it tends to disrupt the flow of the current conversation. As was pointed out, this is not a warrior-thread. If there is a new topic you would like to discuss, please feel free to create a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum. Thanks.

in Engineer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

I’ve never really ran into a warrior running it, but a guildmate of mine makes extremely good use out of it by using it to counter stunlock builds.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Engineer

Posted by: Fast Asleep.8475

Fast Asleep.8475

Think the engi is overall pretty viable these days. From what i heard i can be traited for good dmg output for pve regards, your builds a usefull for even more than one role in spvp and every roaming group will be happy to have a good engi with them too.

And when you others where talking about useless skills. Ok, turrets might be broken but at least you saw people use them. On the other hand i haven’t seen the personal battering ram skill for over a year and that time i used it to see how its like and decided that i ll better not use it

Gunnars Hold [Chvc]

in Engineer

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Good but not great. IMHO it is the class i feel has the most potential going forward but with turrets still being useless and getting random buffs and nerfs every patch its hard to get a feel where the class will end up. This could be said of any class but I feel it is a more prevalent issue here.

Among the current 6 80s I have engineer is the one I invested the most in (command tag, ascended everything that can be ascended is, permanent tools, etc.). Not bragging or anything like that. It is one of my youngest toons. I feel very strongly that the potential and diversity of this class warrants investing in it. While it may be great some days and lack luster the next it is never really boring.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Imho, we are far too much dependant on kits.

in Engineer

Posted by: Raghnu.1049

Raghnu.1049

We have alot of bad traits, only one good elite, and are heavily reliant on our kits.

Versatile sure, but not exactly what engis need.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

I see it quite often, esp on cond-warriors.
The reason why you dont see this skill that often is because warriors have even more ridicoulus oped utilitys, skills and traits.

Give this skill to engineers and you will see it in almost every single build.
So this also should answer your question about the state of the engineer